Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

is it just me

CR91

or does no team plan for the seahawks? they've taken two powerhouse offenses and made them look like a JV offense. im even more impressed with our victory against them now especially since we're the only team to score over 30 points on them

or does no team plan for the seahawks? they've taken two powerhouse offenses and made them look like a JV offense. im even more impressed with our victory against them now especially since we're the only team to score over 30 points on them

I don't know if you can plan for the seahawks.  Based on the numbers they had last year they had an honest to God "epic" defense that you can compare to the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  

I don't know how we put up over 30 on them either.  All I can say is it was a good day for us and a bad for them.  Add to that we where the home team.

It is not who you play but when you play them that matters. Team chemistry and make up change between the times you play them and someone else plays them/you play them a second time.

Case in point - you have Brandon Browner that got abused by T.Y. but once Maxwell came in the line up, the Legion of Boom became even more solid and it became harder to score on them.

Next case in point - Patriots down 0-24 at home, with a healthy Gronk, score 31 unanswered points vs the Broncos at Foxboro but once Gronk is down, in the AFCCG, they were offensively limited

It is not who you play but when you play them that matters. Team chemistry and make up change between the times you play them and someone else plays them/you play them a second time.

Case in point - you have Brandon Browner that got abused by T.Y. but once Maxwell came in the line up, the Legion of Boom became even more solid and it became harder to score on them.

Next case in point - Patriots down 0-24 at home, with a healthy Gronk, score 31 unanswered points vs the Broncos at Foxboro but once Gronk is down, in the AFCCG, they were offensively limited

plenty of weapons and team chemistry when they played the broncos

I don't know if you can plan for the seahawks.  Based on the numbers they had last year they had an honest to God "epic" defense that you can compare to the '85 Bears or the '00 Ravens.  

I don't know how we put up over 30 on them either.  All I can say is it was a good day for us and a bad for them.  Add to that we where the home team.

does playing at home really matter. I mean the cards beat them with palmer the human statue as their QB

not really 16-1 speaks for itself

im not saying playing at home isnt an advantage, but it seems to get overblown when you see a stat like 16-1. would we score 30 points on the seahawks in seattle? I doubt it, but I wouldnt count us out just because their 16-1 at home. any given sunday

plenty of weapons and team chemistry when they played the broncos

Guys we did not have to go against when we played Seahawks - Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, one or two of their OL guys that was injured, Byron Maxwell

That is the thing about good coaches - they find ways to improve their team throughout the year. Pete Carroll is a very good coach.

im not saying playing at home isnt an advantage, but it seems to get overblown when you see a stat like 16-1. would we score 30 points on the seahawks in seattle? I doubt it, but I wouldnt count us out just because their 16-1 at home. any given sunday

That's the Gambler's folly. I love it. Look it up for some interesting thinking/reading.

Guys we did not have to go against when we played Seahawks - Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, one or two of their OL guys that was injured, Byron Maxwell

That is the thing about good coaches - they find ways to improve their team throughout the year. Pete Carroll is a very good coach.

everyone has injuries. thats not an excuse. our o-line was a mess, we didnt have allen, and DHB was one of our starting wrs  O.o

does playing at home really matter. I mean the cards beat them with palmer the human statue as their QB

It certainly helps, I think if you looked over a sample of say 3 years or so the vast majority of teams if not all teams would display a greater home winner percentage then they do on the road.

Crowd noise makes it harder to call audibles and some research suggests that the crowd gives the team an edge with the officals.

But also I think the psychological effects of traveling can hurt you as well.  When you are at home you eat your own food at your own home and you sleep in your own bed with your partner there if you have one.  You don't have take the time to pack or anything.

I think with an away game you are sleeping in a hotel room, likely alone or sharing the room with a teammate.  You have to pack, then get on a plane, fly out and check into a hotel, sleep in an unfamiliar bed, eat food that someone else cooked.  

I mean I don't get to do it much anymore and even though I love traveling it takes something out of you.  I don't think I've ever come back from a trip and not wanted to collapse either into my bed or my recliner.  

So I don't think it's odd to think that when a team does stuff like this that they may be at slightly less then peak performance.  

I know teams are not going to attack Sherman, but I think the Pack did more harm than good last night by basically only using one side of the field in the passing game.

Allowed much more help by the safeties and backers on Maxwell's side.. Have to use the whole field IMO

I know teams are not going to attack Sherman, but I think the Pack did more harm than good last night by basically only using one side of the field in the passing game.

Allowed much more help by the safeties and backers on Maxwell's side.. Have to use the whole field IMO

I cant even recall rodgers attempting a pass to that side. 

It certainly helps, I think if you looked over a sample of say 3 years or so the vast majority of teams if not all teams would display a greater home winner percentage then they do on the road.

Crowd noise makes it harder to call audibles and some research suggests that the crowd gives the team an edge with the officals.

But also I think the psychological effects of traveling can hurt you as well.  When you are at home you eat your own food at your own home and you sleep in your own bed with your partner there if you have one.  You don't have take the time to pack or anything.

I think with an away game you are sleeping in a hotel room, likely alone or sharing the room with a teammate.  You have to pack, then get on a plane, fly out and check into a hotel, sleep in an unfamiliar bed, eat food that someone else cooked.  

I mean I don't get to do it much anymore and even though I love traveling it takes something out of you.  I don't think I've ever come back from a trip and not wanted to collapse either into my bed or my recliner.  

So I don't think it's odd to think that when a team does stuff like this that they may be at slightly less then peak performance.  

away games are hard to win there is no denying that, but its not the be all end all of deciding factors to winning or losing

everyone has injuries. thats not an excuse. our o-line was a mess, we didnt have allen, and DHB was one of our starting wrs  O.o

It is not an excuse but I am talking about how the Seahawks became dominant. Their dominance in the playoffs carried over to the Packers game last night and the biggest reasons in their team play being taken up a notch to that level of dominance are the presence of Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, a healthy OL and Byron Maxwell.

So, I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison to compare the Seahawks squad we beat last October to the healthy one they have now, it is just a rational extrapolation. It does not mean that we still won't beat them at home since the Seahawks are a different team on the road anyways.

It is not an excuse but I am talking about how the Seahawks became dominant. Their dominance in the playoffs carried over to the Packers game last night and the biggest reasons in their team play being taken up a notch to that level of dominance are the presence of Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, a healthy OL and Byron Maxwell.

So, I don't think it is an apples to apples comparison to compare the Seahawks squad we beat last October to the healthy one they have now, it is just a rational extrapolation. It does not mean that we still won't beat them at home since the Seahawks are a different team on the road anyways.

I think the only way to compete with the seahawks is to get physical with them and play their game. you see teams like the 49ers and cards hang with them because their physical teams. the broncos and packers while put up video game type numbers are finesse not physical. their flashy and shiny, but they cant get down and dirty 

Is it just me or does Seattle typically manhandle one dimensional teams centered around passing?

Might just be me, or might just be you. That team was set up for demolishing the pass happy offenses, and they do a great job at it.

Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, all destroyed by them. Would love to see Brady up against them.

Is it just me or does Seattle typically manhandle one dimensional teams centered around passing?

Might just be me, or might just be you. That team was set up for demolishing the pass happy offenses, and they do a great job at it.

Brees, Peyton, Rodgers, all destroyed by them. Would love to see Brady up against them.

Good points. But they are pretty good against the run as well. ;)

In terms of Brady, he did play them in Seattle in 2012 which was Wilson's rookie season. The Pats lost by one point 24-23. Here was Brady's stat line: 36 for 58 for 395 yards, 2 TDs and 2 picks.

The game was playing in pouring rain and Brady was torching them most of the day but he had a pick late in Seattle territory that would have put the Pats up by 13. Seattle got the ball back down by 6 with just a few minutes to go and Wilson hit a 57 yard TD pass to end the game.

It was a great game but so frustrating because the Pats dominated but were unable to convert a few scoring ops into TDs. It was that game that kind of defined Wilson as their starter and future QB.

I think the premise of this thread undermines how good the Seahawks are. Teams gameplan for then plenty. They're just really, really good. Especially at home.

I agree. This is definately the team to beat. Great defense, and the offense is pretty darn good also. I think the only thing that could derail this team would be ill luck, injuries, or the post Super Bowl blues. They definately have the best chance for a repeat since the Patriots. That being said, you have the 18-1 Patriots, the 15-1 Vikings, or the 13-1 Baltimore Colts to look at to prove that nothing is absolute.

I think you can run on them between the tackles like Arizona did.  This is why their games with San Francisco are so close, because the 49ers are primarily a running team.   Green Bay opened up the game with several nice runs and then abandoned it. 

I think you should run at them until you pull the safety into the box and then start passing at them.