Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

All Kidding Aside

LUVTHESHOE

This staff is by far not a who's who's in coaching in any way, with that being said if you were GM for a day is there any coach on this staff that even merits concideration to bring back or do you just clean house, and since we are the only team with a timeout/challenge coach he is exempt.

All should stay, all produced and did thier jobs when the team was healthy, it's unfair to judge them based off a season when your top player doesn't even step on the field. Let them have a chance to prove themselves next year.

Except even when we are healthy our Special teams still sucks, the defense has been the worst 3rd down defense this decade, and we've had no running game since 2006.

To dn4192, you are only proving the point that the HC, DC, OC, & ST coaches aren't doing their jobs. Losing a great player shouldn't mean we go winless and for the most part look completely unprepared.

Lets see how Houston, Chicago and such do now with ther QB's gone. Do you believe this franchise would still have no wins if we had a decent backup QB?

All should stay, all produced and did thier jobs when the team was healthy, it's unfair to judge them based off a season when your top player doesn't even step on the field. Let them have a chance to prove themselves next year.

If Caldwell and staff were getting anything out of this team I would agree with you. If he was able to get a handful of wins then I would agree but he has not gotten anything out of this team not one single win, and it doesn't look good going forward. You cannot lose one player and lose an entire season and not even be competitive in most of your games.

If Caldwell and staff were getting anything out of this team I would agree with you. If he was able to get a handful of wins then I would agree but he has not gotten anything out of this team not one single win, and it doesn't look good going forward. You cannot lose one player and lose an entire season and not even be competitive in most of your games.

Anybody who thinks every coach on this staff should stay, they don't even know what sport they are watching. PERIOD! Our special teams have been a laughing stock for 10 years now and our defense has not been able to stop the run or get off the field on third down for years. Again there are teams winning with rookie coaches and and qb's and far less over all talent then we have, so sorry to say same coaches need to go.

The topic said all kidding aside...........

The latest in a long line of delusional posts.

Indeed

I guess we can just sit back and see who is right and who is wrong. Since those here have no say in the process because they lack all the information needed to make a sound call we will have to allow those with the knowledge to make that call, and since they have proven over time to know what it takes to put a winning coaching staff together, I am sure we can feel safe that they will again do that.

I guess we can just sit back and see who is right and who is wrong. Since those here have no say in the process because they lack all the information needed to make a sound call we will have to allow those with the knowledge to make that call, and since they have proven over time to know what it takes to put a winning coaching staff together, I am sure we can feel safe that they will again do that.

Those with the knowledge to make the call seem to have forgotten how to put a winning coaching staff together. They put this hot mess of a coaching staff together.

More info on 0-10? Sorry that's fair territory for the casual fan to suggest that people are doing a poor job.

Wow!a fresh take, NOT.Sorry guy this is a joe fan evaluation of coaching, this was not intended for high ranking front office,real evaluaters such as yourself.Sorry you can play on the next one. By the way I merely ask what few if any coaches should stay, but again you were typing your response before you read the question.

...and we've had no running game since 2006.

Err...we are averaging 4.4 yards per carry this season; we're 9th in the league in that category. This is among the best rushing efforts we've seen since our Super Bowl victory in 2006/07.

Hate to break it to you, but that's on the coaches for teaching our line how to block, our backs to run, and our FO for putting the right guys on the offensive line. Painter has a slow-as-molasses release, yet he's been sacked fewer times than Rodgers or Brady.

Seems to me they've addressed an area that was a concern while Peyton was playing the last three seasons. Unfortunately, Peyton isn't here to benefit from it (and thus, neither are we). If Curtis could pick up a 1st down once and a while, our defense wouldn't be on the field for 11:00 every quarter, and they would probably be better too.

It's easy to blame everyone at the top when we go from a relatively dominant 9 years to poop. It was only the longest consecutive playoff run in NFL history...a down year was bound to happen eventually.

I'm not saying they are doing great, and we certainly don't have a non-Peyton plan for success at QB (Luck won't get there either), but they were able to maximize one guy's ability so well that we became perennial contenders and two-time AFC Champions.

Our special teams have been a laughing stock for 10 years now and our defense has not been able to stop the run or get off the field on third down for years.

Which is why the special teams coach and defensive coordinator were fired years ago. The new ones were considering to be significant improvements by the fans based on short-term results, but long-term they are beholder to the same problems which are to a large extent out of their hands.

I would LOVE to find out that the Colts could just replace a few coaches and magically turn things around, but I certainly don't KNOW that, and - despite your confidence - neither do you.

Which is why the special teams coach and defensive coordinator were fired years ago. The new ones were considering to be significant improvements by the fans based on short-term results, but long-term they are beholder to the same problems which are to a large extent out of their hands.

I would LOVE to find out that the Colts could just replace a few coaches and magically turn things around, but I certainly don't KNOW that, and - despite your confidence - neither do you.

So we are employing the wrong coaches (Polian & Son), or signing the wrong players (Polian & Son). Or are we just unlucky?

^^ Silly post.

In what alternate universe did you watch ST do well in the last 'n' years?

How does Peyton being out change anything for ST? (except that, called upon much more often, Pat Mac has proven himself a punting god!)

Err...we are averaging 4.4 yards per carry this season; we're 9th in the league in that category. This is among the best rushing efforts we've seen since our Super Bowl victory in 2006/07.

Hate to break it to you, but that's on the coaches for teaching our line how to block, our backs to run, and our FO for putting the right guys on the offensive line. Painter has a slow-as-molasses release, yet he's been sacked fewer times than Rodgers or Brady.

Seems to me they've addressed an area that was a concern while Peyton was playing the last three seasons. Unfortunately, Peyton isn't here to benefit from it (and thus, neither are we). If Curtis could pick up a 1st down once and a while, our defense wouldn't be on the field for 11:00 every quarter, and they would probably be better too.

It's easy to blame everyone at the top when we go from a relatively dominant 9 years to poop. It was only the longest consecutive playoff run in NFL history...a down year was bound to happen eventually.

I'm not saying they are doing great, and we certainly don't have a non-Peyton plan for success at QB (Luck won't get there either), but they were able to maximize one guy's ability so well that we became perennial contenders and two-time AFC Champions.

Yes but some of that ypc ave. is because we are always behind and throwing 55 times a game, with most teams playing us to pass ,you should be able to run a little bit.You watch when and if we stop throwing 50 plus times a game teams will load the box and there goes our 4.4ypc. I think we play that 10 straight playoff run card a little to often. Our division has not been the strongest during that run and when playoffs become your goal you will just be another team. I.e. atl. braves. I think most people would say Pittsburgh and NE have been more successful during that same time period and both have missed the playoffs twice, but landing 3 rings for a missed playoff every four years or so would be worth it.

And that 4.4 has no bearing on the defenses only playing to stop the pass after the 1st quarter? A team that has 3 total 100yd rushing games in the season. (109 Clev,155 NO,158 Tenn) one of those being a 70+yd game from fluke QB runs counts as one of our better rushing efforts? The league avg. for rushing first downs in 58.9, we have 46. While I think there has been SOME improvement, Im not ready to annoint our OL and rushing attack as good, or even fixed for that matter.

And as for the sacks, that can also be attributed to the fact that both of those QB's you mention, actually push the ball down the field, looking for someone to be open further than the LoS, which is something Painter isn't capable of doing. Since you mentioned Brady and the fact he has more sack than Painter, does that mean that you believe the Pats OL to be worse than ours?

Tried to edit my post to say:

In what alternate universe did you watch ST do well in the last 'n' years?

How does Peyton being out change anything for ST? (except that, called upon much more often, Pat Mac has proven himself a punting god!)

I will, however, give the D a bit of slack since they spend most of the game on the field. But, OTOH, they don't get off very quickly either....but when they do get off, they're back on quickly.!! :)

And that 4.4 has no bearing on the defenses only playing to stop the pass after the 1st quarter? A team that has 3 total 100yd rushing games in the season. (109 Clev,155 NO,158 Tenn) one of those being a 70+yd game from fluke QB runs counts as one of our better rushing efforts? The league avg. for rushing first downs in 58.9, we have 46. While I think there has been SOME improvement, Im not ready to annoint our OL and rushing attack as good, or even fixed for that matter.

And as for the sacks, that can also be attributed to the fact that both of those QB's you mention, actually push the ball down the field, looking for someone to be open further than the LoS, which is something Painter isn't capable of doing. Since you mentioned Brady and the fact he has more sack than Painter, does that mean that you believe the Pats OL to be worse than ours?

True you should not get sacked alot when you are throwing 23 bubble screens a game.

and yet we are 25th in rushing, a huge chunk of our runs have come when we are losing and badly (the Saints are a great example) and inflates our rushing stats

So we are employing the wrong coaches (Polian & Son), or signing the wrong players (Polian & Son). Or are we just unlucky?

It's entirely possible that the current DC, DB, and ST coaches aren't doing their jobs - which would absolutely mean that the Polians did a lousy job in hiring them. If we have poorer top to bottom talent on the roster in total, that certainly is on the FO as well. I'm just not prepared to come to those conclusions. Its very hard to evaluate anything this year. It's entirely possible that the roster is trending more to the inexperienced side just because of bad timing, and that the same players will look better next year. The ST are already looking less abominable then they were at the beginning of the season, although they were at such a low level that they could improve dramatically and still be below average. It's also a given that without Peyton there are pressures being exerted on the defense that they aren't designed to withstand. We could debate all day whether or not that constitutes a failure just on it's face value, without even getting to the point of determining whether the coaching is the problem.

I always try to keep in mind though that the defensive scheme (intentionally set in place to maximize the salary cap available for the offense) tends to result in an abnormally high percentage of small/inexperienced depth players filling out special teams. That is the biggest reason that the problems have continued for years, and why coaching can only help so much. Defense is a far bigger concern, but that seems to be mostly "on" the defensive backs. Should they/could they have kept Hayden and Tryon is the question. Then again some would have argued that they "should" have kept Sanders, but clearly they made the right call there. It's not like Hayden/Tryon are starting and making a huge impact elsewhere - they just appear to be better than Lacey. But are they going to be better than Thomas the way things are going? I doubt it myself. I think that it remains to be seen whether or not the Colts made the right decisions there.

Except even when we are healthy our Special teams still sucks, the defense has been the worst 3rd down defense this decade, and we've had no running game since 2006.

since 2007. Peope forget in 2007 Addai had a 1,000 yard season and was voted the starter in the pro-bowl and don't tell me Addai was voted there because he is so "popular". It wasn't till late in that season that our ground game started struggling and seemed to happen after Ugoh got hurt. Ugoh was plaing very well his rookie season and then got hurt and he and our ground game were never the same after that. I am not sure what hapened there maybe the injury took something away or maybe he was too lazy to do as much rehab as he needed to do or maybe the league just figured him out but that was down hill point.

Lets see how Houston, Chicago and such do now with ther QB's gone.

Uhh, did you watch the Eagles yesterday? Vick goes down, Vince Young wins one for them. And the Bears have Matt Forte, plus a nasty defense, so Cutler going down won't keep them out of the playoffs at this point. As for Houston, they never went to the playoffs with Schaub anyways, so who cares?

Why are you still defending these scrub coaches? 0-10, and you're still just guzzling that Caldwell Cool-Aid...

Lets see how Houston, Chicago and such do now with ther QB's gone. Do you believe this franchise would still have no wins if we had a decent backup QB?

Your right that a decent QB would help get wins but the team looks unprepared and lost.

Bottom line, the Colts deserve a better quality coaching staff.

since 2007. Peope forget in 2007 Addai had a 1,000 yard season and was voted the starter in the pro-bowl and don't tell me Addai was voted there because he is so "popular". It wasn't till late in that season that our ground game started struggling and seemed to happen after Ugoh got hurt. Ugoh was plaing very well his rookie season and then got hurt and he and our ground game were never the same after that. I am not sure what hapened there maybe the injury took something away or maybe he was too lazy to do as much rehab as he needed to do or maybe the league just figured him out but that was down hill point.

Maybe you see this differently than I but having a 1000 yard rusher doesn't mean having a good running game to me. Addai was just over 1000 yards, remember when Edge was having 1500-1700 yards? And Addai also had 1k yards in 2006, behind him Rhodes had nearly 700 yards rushing. That 2006 season our rushing attack was very good. In 2007 it started off well but dwindled. In the playoffs the Colts could not run the ball at all. They had something like 50 yards rushing on 17 rushes which is terrible. Also Addai did not get selected to the pro bowl right away, he got invited after Larry Johnston didn't go (I dont remember why). He was behind Willie Parker and LT.

Your right that a decent QB would help get wins but the team looks unprepared and lost.

Bottom line, the Colts deserve a better quality coaching staff.

I think it has to do with how much of a leader Peyton is, the fact that none of these players or coaches have ever experienced this and a snowball effect. I think this franchise right now doesn't know where it is going or with whom as it's on field leader and until that is decided I don't think it really matters whom the coaches are. I still favor allowing then another chance when the key issue is settled and then seeing what happens.

I cant see any way in heck this team gets any better with this current coaching staff. IMO I say from the Polians on down cut em all loose. wth do we have to lose?? To out brilliant coaching staff, I know Painter isnt the best QB to ever play, but if you havent noticed he seems to play a lil better and more loose if you let the guy air it out the first couple of drives. Hey, Clyde max protect for our boy and let him fling a few down the field to Garcon.

Maybe you see this differently than I but having a 1000 yard rusher doesn't mean having a good running game to me. Addai was just over 1000 yards, remember when Edge was having 1500-1700 yards? And Addai also had 1k yards in 2006, behind him Rhodes had nearly 700 yards rushing. That 2006 season our rushing attack was very good. In 2007 it started off well but dwindled. In the playoffs the Colts could not run the ball at all. They had something like 50 yards rushing on 17 rushes which is terrible. Also Addai did not get selected to the pro bowl right away, he got invited after Larry Johnston didn't go (I dont remember why). He was behind Willie Parker and LT.

In the Colts offense it is good, and it sure as heck is better than anything we've had from 2008 or beyond. I am sure if I told most fans going into this year that Addai was going to a have 1,000 yard season they would have taken it in a heart beat and said the ground game had improved to the point it should have been good enough in our offense.

Like I said he was voted the starter in the pro-bowl that year and no he didn't get there because he was so popular he got there because he had a very good season till Ugoh got hurt. That injury killed Ugoh's career and I think started the downfall of the o-line. Addai also had a career high 12 TDs that season as well so I am sure the helped his case.

People had to account for our ground game in 2007 which is frankly all the Colts really want out of their ground game, enough to make teams respect it so Peyton can kill people with the play action pass. Since 2008 on that has not been the case although it looks like they are taking steps in the right direction this year.

I think it has to do with how much of a leader Peyton is, the fact that none of these players or coaches have ever experienced this and a snowball effect. I think this franchise right now doesn't know where it is going or with whom as it's on field leader and until that is decided I don't think it really matters whom the coaches are. I still favor allowing then another chance when the key issue is settled and then seeing what happens.

I promised not to respond to any more of your posts, but I lied. You really know Jack Schmit about anything, and you should go post on Justin Bieber's blog. Or something equivilant.

Sorry guys, I let myself down.