Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jimmy Tosses Two TDs

amfootball

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2165083-jimmy-garoppolos-emergence-means-ryan-malletts-days-with-patriots-are-numbered

Garoppolo was impressive yet again last night tossing two TDs in the Pats defeat of the Eagles. His poise, presence in the pocket and accuracy have been very good and at this point the Pats have to figure out what to do with Mallett. I am wondering if they keep him as third string. They have only carried two QBs in previous seasons so maybe they try for any trade they can just to unload him.

Posted · Hidden by MTC, August 16, 2014 - baiting
Hidden by MTC, August 16, 2014 - baiting

You can always skip the thread. This is the NFL general section. And I care. It  is preseason and back up QB play is critical for many teams.

nah, id rather just post memes but thanks for playing

76190-oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares-m-W4n

Posted · Hidden by MTC, August 16, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by MTC, August 16, 2014 - No reason given

I figured. Happy days ahead for this forum ...

what? are you the colts/patriots fan that is supposed to get a medal for how unique, different, and special you are?

To the OP; I believe the last time they carried 3 QB's was during the 2004 Super Bowl season. With Tom getting older (more susceptible to injury) and the end of his career within sight (still years off), 3 QB's might be a good idea, but only if they're quite worthy. No room for scrubs back there. 

IMO, Mallet would beat out Garappolo as of right now. 

It's preseason. Real NFL fans discuss such things, so....I would suggest having a seat at the kids table while the adults talk football. 

to the OP; I believe the last time they carried 3 QB's was during the 2004 Super Bowl season. With Tom getting older (more susceptable to injury) and the end of his career within sight (still years off), 3 QB's might be a good idea, but only if they're q

tells people his grand theory about how men and women are supposed to mate with different partners their whole life

then shares earth shattering divorce expierience...

calls someone else immature...

right on bro, sorry im not a real nfl fan. 

tells people his grand theory about how men and women are supposed to mate with different partners their whole life

then shares earth shattering divorce expierience...

calls someone else immature...

Your posts are like meme's without text. Pretty innovative posting technique   :thmup:

Adding you to 'ignore'. Truly an honor for you, I'm certain. 

Your posts are like meme's without text. Pretty innovative posting technique   :thmup:

Adding you to 'ignore'. Truly an honor for you, I'm certain. 

im just gl;ad you handled it maturely and responded BEFORE ignoring

thanks for the lesson in maturity that i couldnt handle before this thread started.

i should be more tolerant of the oversaturation of pats fan boy trolls posting about their 3rd stringer as much as possible

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2165083-jimmy-garoppolos-emergence-means-ryan-malletts-days-with-patriots-are-numbered

Garoppolo was impressive yet again last night tossing two TDs in the Pats defeat of the Eagles. His poise, presence in the pocket and accuracy have been very good and at this point the Pats have to figure out what to do with Mallett. I am wondering if they keep him as third string. They have only carried two QBs in previous seasons so maybe they try for any trade they can just to unload him.

That is a fantastic preseason effort.

I think with Mallett, they should trade him.  If they can get one decent preseason game with him (like the Pack did with a season game and Matt Flynn), they might be able to trade him to Houston or Tampa-or someone of the like.

Just an editorial; One of the amusing things I notice while watching preseason games on NFLN is listening to the homer play callers. Some are better than others, but NE's coverage is so sickeningly biased and homer, it's almost unbearable. 

BTW: Finch (RB) looked great. Very speedy, quick little guy. Was impressed with him. 

Posted · Hidden by Blackhawk4, August 16, 2014 - There's no need for comments like this. It's just flaming.
Hidden by Blackhawk4, August 16, 2014 - There's no need for comments like this. It's just flaming.

I really hope this kid turns out to suck I've had enough of the pats my whole life

I thought Jimmy looked good yesterday but I need to see him against a good secondary. Eagles and Redskins are known to not have a good secondary.

I expect him to beat out Mallett for the #2 QB spot.

Philly and Washington have terrible defenses all around. That said he was one of my favorite QBs in the draft, unfortunately.

To the OP; I believe the last time they carried 3 QB's was during the 2004 Super Bowl season. With Tom getting older (more susceptible to injury) and the end of his career within sight (still years off), 3 QB's might be a good idea, but only if they're quite worthy. No room for scrubs back there. 

While I agree with your comment sometimes it's hard for a team to hold 2 solid back up QBs. One or both want to play and don't want to ride the bench especially if one feels he is NFL ready. If I were sitting behind a player like Brady knowing the only way I could play is an injury or Brady retiring I sure would want to leave and make my own way. You mentioned 2 worthy QBs? If they are that worthy it wouldn't be cap friendly to keep two on the roster.

I think it was 2006. Either way it has been a long time since they had 3 QBs. Bill likes to have that extra roster spot for someone else. Right now it would appear Mallett is odd man out. Still 2 games to go but Jimmy looks a lot better.

I think it was 2006. Either way it has been a long time since they had 3 QBs. Bill likes to have that extra roster spot for someone else. Right now it would appear Mallett is odd man out. Still 2 games to go but Jimmy looks a lot better.

Yeah, watched the game in full this morning and I have to say, I agree. A quicker grasp is highly indicative of a higher ceiling, clearly being displayed by Jimmy G. As well, it may be easier to retain the rookie until Brady hangs it up, if indeed that is the role Garappolo and/or Mallet were intended to fulfill. 

It was (obviously) great for me to watch Indy transition from #18 to #12. After years of battling and a well earned respect for both Belichick and the Patriots organization as a whole, it would be neat to witness a similarly smooth transition from the Brady era to the Pats next chapter. 

Just damned if it ain't a bugger we got removed from each others division. Imagine how recent history, this Manning/Brady era, would've played out if we did share a division? 

Yeah, watched the game in full this morning and I have to say, I agree. A quicker grasp is highly indicative of a higher ceiling, clearly being displayed by Jimmy G. As well, it may be easier to retain the rookie until Brady hangs it up, if indeed that is the role Garappolo and/or Mallet were intended to fulfill. 

It was (obviously) great for me to watch Indy transition from #18 to #12. After years of battling and a well earned respect for both Belichick and the Patriots organization as a whole, it would be neat to witness a similarly smooth transition from the Brady era to the Pats next chapter. 

Just damned if it ain't a bugger we got removed from each others division. Imagine how recent history, this Manning/Brady era, would've played out if we did share a division? 

I know. I think of that from time to time. How awesome it would have been of the Colts stayed in the East. As it is Brady and Manning have played as much as any rivalry or more in the history of the NFL. It would have been sweet to see them go at it twice a year with the division in the balance.

Jimmy G. looked very good tonight with 2 TDS 1 to Thompkins & 1 to LeFalle. I laughed so hard when the TV booth guy showed Bill talking to Jimmy & said "I'm so glad we drafted you in the second round."  haha

4 turnovers by NE's defense, Ridley, Bolden, Vereen, & James White from UW-Madison looked sweet out there in Foxboro. I've never seen BB get that angry on the sidelines before except for that Ravens game with the FG that was not a FG IMO. RB James Develin reminds me of former Tampa Bay Bucs back Mike Alstott--a huge battering ram with good hands catching the ball like a fluid TE. 

Ryan Mallet played exceptionally well running for a TD with a leg brace on & connecting with WR Brian Tyms quite often. Mallet throws a nice deep ball. Very impressive! 

#75 looked fantastic. It's awesome to see Vince Wilfork healthy & plugging holes again. NE looked in Playoff form vs the Eagles minus a couple of bad punts on special teams that is. 

And no butt fumble for Mark Sanchez either LOL! He threw a pick just like I knew he would. Too bad he still wasn't the starting QB for the Jets eh NE? Ha! Ha! 

One of the things that always was a knock on him was that he had good poise and pocket awareness, but got happy feet and panicked under pressure, often forcing bad throws and whatnot.  It's a really obvious critique for any QB I suppose, but some are surely worse than others.  From what I've seen (and admittedly, it's only a handful of plays), he hasn't really been under pressure much.  What's your take on how much pressure he's taken while in the dropback and how has he been in those moments?  I've said it before and I'll renew it here, I still think he will be the best QB in this draft class - though Bortles has really surprised me.  I didn't think he would be bad, but I didn't think I could be impressed by him at all this year, even if it's just a preseason game. Of the rest of the QB class that I have seen, it's just meh - Mettenberger has been alright, but against 3rd string, Manziel is who I thought he would be at this stage of his career, Bridgewater is by and large second to Manziel in his inconsistency (though have to give him credit for his final drive last week), and I haven't seen Carr, but from what i've understood, he's still a long ways away.

One of the things that always was a knock on him was that he had good poise and pocket awareness, but got happy feet and panicked under pressure, often forcing bad throws and whatnot.  It's a really obvious critique for any QB I suppose, but some are surely worse than others.  From what I've seen (and admittedly, it's only a handful of plays), he hasn't really been under pressure much.  What's your take on how much pressure he's taken while in the dropback and how has he been in those moments?  I've said it before and I'll renew it here, I still think he will be the best QB in this draft class - though Bortles has really surprised me.  I didn't think he would be bad, but I didn't think I could be impressed by him at all this year, even if it's just a preseason game. Of the rest of the QB class that I have seen, it's just meh - Mettenberger has been alright, but against 3rd string, Manziel is who I thought he would be at this stage of his career, Bridgewater is by and large second to Manziel in his inconsistency (though have to give him credit for his final drive last week), and I haven't seen Carr, but from what i've understood, he's still a long ways away.

He has been very good under pressure. Seems like he has good mobility and makes quick reads similar to Brady. Drop back and find the open guy quickly. Good accuracy and velocity as well.

Jimmy likes Jimmy's touchdown passes. (This is a nod to fellow Seinfeld fans.)

Jimmy.jpg

Good 1 GP! The 3rd person reference joke works well for Jimmy G. Jimmy G. sounds like a sausage you buy in the grocery store similar to Jimmy Dean sausage to me. Either that or a popular brand of beef jerky anyway. 

Jimmy_Dean_0_600.jpg

His first touchdown pass literally went right through a DB's hands. It should have been an INT.

He looks solid, but he is playing against backups. I wouldn't get too excited about him at this point.

Except that he played against the Eagles' 1's, so I'm not sure how you can be correct .

Except that he played against the Eagles' 1's, so I'm not sure how you can be correct .

I'm watching the game right now, no it wasn't against the 1's....so you're wrong. 

It's so blatantly obvious they aren't the ones when they have white as snow Mathews at linebacker and not Demeco Ryans. 

I'm watching the game right now, no it wasn't against the 1's....so you're wrong. 

It's so blatantly obvious they aren't the ones when they have white as snow Mathews at linebacker and not Demeco Ryans. 

You are wrong. He played against the starters in the first half after Brady exited.

"Second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo got the call, playing with remnants of the first offense against the first stringers with the Eagles after an Ifeanyi Momah fumble on the Eagles’ first offensive play of the night. The rookie went 2-for-2 on the drive, including a 15-yard touchdown pass to fullback James Develin."

"There are multiple possible reasons for why Garoppolo played ahead of Mallett, including the desire to see him against a starting defense and the fact that Mallett missed practice time this week with a knee injury."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/15/jimmy-garoppolo-follows-tom-brady/

You are wrong. He played against the starters in the first half after Brady exited.

"Second-round pick Jimmy Garoppolo got the call, playing with remnants of the first offense against the first stringers with the Eagles after an Ifeanyi Momah fumble on the Eagles’ first offensive play of the night. The rookie went 2-for-2 on the drive, including a 15-yard touchdown pass to fullback James Develin."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/15/jimmy-garoppolo-follows-tom-brady/

I am literally watching the game right now and the starters are not in the game. 

I am literally watching the game right now and the starters are not in the game. 

You must be watching the wrong game then. He went against the starters in the first half after Brady left.

And Jimmy did not play with all the starters on the Pats O. Many of them left with Brady. So he went up against the Eagles starters with some 2s on the Pats O.

You must be watching the wrong game then. He went against the starters in the first half after Brady left.

And Jimmy did not play with all the starters on the Pats O. Many of them left with Brady. So he went up against the Eagles starters with some 2s on the Pats O.

Players in the game on that first drive include.

-Acho who is a backup

- Goodee who is a backup

- Marcus Smith who is a backup

Brandon Boykin, who is a backup

Click the image to show the 2nd team defense in. 

and on and on.....I'm watching the right game, there is 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter. So tell me more about the "first team" defense.

eagles_zpsb4b4f714.jpg

Players in the game on that first drive include.

-Acho who is a backup

- Goodee who is a backup

- Marcus Smith who is a backup

Brandon Boykin, who is a backup

Click the image to show the 2nd team defense in. 

and on and on.....I'm watching the right game, there is 5 minutes left in the 1st quarter. So tell me more about the "first team" defense.

eagles_zpsb4b4f714.jpg

No team in the preseason is playing all starters but it is the primary starting defense. The Pats have barely played Wilfork or Revis this preseason but it has still been their primary starters out there in the first half.

No team in the preseason is playing all starters but it is the primary starting defense. The Pats have barely played Wilfork or Revis this preseason but it has still been their primary starters out there in the first half.

I'm just defending against you saying it was the first team defense. It was not. At least 4 backups were in, I didn't do an in depth look at the Eagles depth chart or anything, it could be as many as 8 backups in the game. 

You're calling it the 1's, I'm simply saying, that it was not the 1's.