Tony Dungy Disappointment

cbrennan1188

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Sam is very similar to Tim Tebow w.r.t entourage and media exposure (though for different reasons), and it is only going to get worse, much like Johnny Manziel. I can see why a GM would like to stay away from Michael Sam, much the same way that they wanted to stay away from Manziel.

I believe you are probably correct, he may not have wanted to sign someone like Vick. Players that bring a media circus are usually not wanted by any coach, unless of course the player is good enough that their talent makes putting up with the circus worth it.

Agree!

i am amazed that so many people in this thread are taking what he said sooo incorrectly. This has nothing to do with being gay. He was talking about the distractions, circus, etc. it will cause in our current world. He is thinking about the effect on the team. Quote: "but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it"

You can continue with the drama dibble now ...

Fair or not Tony D is simply stating truth.     His quotes have NOTHING to do with HIS faith...    And it played out that way in the draft.   SEC DPOY gong when?   WHEN?   Now the WHY?

Don't hate on Dungy on this one hate on the "culture" that is the NFL.     Teams do not want drama...    period.  

I could go further but ...    Tony simply said it best.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2014/07/21/tony-dungy-michael-sam/12941579/

It's too bad that Dungy feels this way and I hope he does get backlash

Mod note: Please keep in mind the rules regarding political and religious discussions as you participate in this thread. Thanks in advance. -- Superman

They gave this guy the Arthur Ash award. Previous winners:

Muhamed Ali

Nelson Mandela

Pat Tillman

Patt Summitt

and Michael Sam.... :facepalm:

What will ESPN do if Michael Sam is cut because the Rams have a loaded DL roster? That is why I felt someone like Jason Collins who actually opened the door for Michael Sam would have been more appropriate and it should have been Michael Sam handing the trophy to Jason Collins and not the other way.

What will ESPN do if Michael Sam is cut because the Rams have a loaded DL roster? That is why I felt someone like Jason Collins who actually opened the door for Michael Sam would have been more appropriate and it should have been Michael Sam handing the trophy to Jason Collins and not the other way.

They are acting like this is a Jackie Robinson type story. It's not anywhere even remotely close.

Agree!

i am amazed that so many people in this thread are taking what he said sooo incorrectly. This has nothing to do with being gay. He was talking about the distractions, circus, etc. it will cause in our current world. He is thinking about the effect on the team. Quote: "but I wouldn't want to deal with all of it"

While Dungy says that is why he wouldn't, people are discussing it because they believe there are other reasons he wouldn't have drafted Sam

Agree!

I don't think it's that hard to read between the lines here. Dungy's perspective is obvious. So is the media's. 

I don`t believe Dungy "hates" anybody and I agree with his stance, while some don`t. Glad to see him not bow down and sticking to his beliefs. "Hate" gets thrown around much too loosely in all facets anymore. He has his beliefs, others have theirs. So what? 

I don`t believe Dungy "hates" anybody and I agree with his stance, while some don`t. Glad to see him not bow down and sticking to his beliefs. "Hate" gets thrown around much too loosely in all facets anymore. He has his beliefs, others have theirs. So what?

When he supports organizations that believe in treating a certain portion of people as second class citizens, that's where people get upset with him.

Hiring or not hiring someone because of how they relate with your personal beliefs is usually discrimination. The line is blurry on this particular topic, but the reasons for the criticism are pretty straightforward.

Maybe Dungy is just looking to the future media circus a 7th round pick, that will probably be cut, is going to bring. I'm sure his faith has something to do with it, but you really think if Sam is cut it's going to be a no story like the dozen other 7th rounders that are cut?

I wouldn't have drafted him unless I truly believed he would make the team, and make an impact.

I don't think it's that hard to read between the lines here. Dungy's perspective is obvious. So is the media's. 

While Dungy says that is why he wouldn't, people are discussing it because they believe there are other reasons he wouldn't have drafted Sam

Most always respect both of your opinions on the forum, but "reading between the lines" and "believe there are other reasons" has nothing to do with what Tony said and everything to do with people who need drama.

As moderators, please move this trash to a NON COLTS thread please.

Relevant:

http://xkcd.com/1357/

Warning: Language

So yeah, he can say whatever he wants, but that doesn't shield him from criticism.  

Of course people are going to criticize him. That's what people do. Everyone is on the attack and whine whenever someone else says what they are thinking if it's not totally PC and takes account for everyone's boo hoo "feelings." 

Good for Tony Dungy for stating his beliefs. Regardless of what those beliefs are. 

Most always respect both of your opinions on the forum, but "reading between the lines" and "believe there are other reasons" has nothing to do with what Tony said and everything to do with people who need drama.

As moderators, please move this trash to a NON COLTS thread please.

The thread has been moved to NFL General, so...

And reading between the lines is very easy to do in this case. Agree or disagree with Dungy's opinion or his right to express it, it's rather naive to divorce what he's saying from how he's known to feel about the issue.

Dungy isn't drafting anyone right now, so I would've thought it wiser for him to keep his mouth shut and just maybe wish Sam the best. 

Probably, but there's really little backlash to be faced for Dungy. This is a headline for a short while, and then it goes away.

When he supports organizations that believe in treating a certain portion of people as second class citizens, that's where people get upset with him.

Especially ironic considering the man's distinction as the first African-American head coach to take his team to a Super Bowl title. Good thing someone gave him some opportunity to break that barrier. Almost like someone breaking ground as the first openly gay football player, and...

Wait a sec.   :scratch:

Hiring or not hiring someone because of how they relate with your personal beliefs is usually discrimination. The line is blurry on this particular topic, but the reasons for the criticism are pretty straightforward.

Actually it has more to do what those personal beliefs are and who the potential employee is.  

For example few would have a problem with me refusing to hire someone with a felony on their record because my personal beliefs go against law breakers.

For a non criminal example you could go with someone who has a questionable sexual history such as someone who's well known to have cheated oh their spouse.

It ultimately comes down to how society views such things.  

What I always find funny is the moral outrage people manage to get in regards to homophobia.  If you are against gay marriage people call you a homophobe. . . Ok well it wasn't too long ago, 5 years even that the general tide of opinion was against gay marriage.  And I'm guessing a lot of the people who call people these names where in fact not to long ago against it themselves. . . they just won't admit to it.  

Probably, but there's really little backlash to be faced for Dungy. This is a headline for a short while, and then it goes away.

Depends on what his future holds. People are more apt to forget about the Malaysian plane crash than they are to forget about this. Ya know how things are with the media. 

Of course people are going to criticize him. That's what people do. Everyone is on the attack and whine whenever someone else says what they are thinking if it's not totally PC and takes account for everyone's boo hoo "feelings."

Good for Tony Dungy for stating his beliefs. Regardless of what those beliefs are.

So it's good for Tony to speak his beliefs, but if I believe he is wrong, I'm boo hoo crying?

I loath logic that was given 2 seconds of thought.

The first *s to speak out that people should be able to say what they want regardless of what others think, are ironically the first people telling others to shut up, and attack them for,"whining." I wonder why that is.....

Depends on what his future holds. People are more apt to forget about the Malaysian plane crash than they are to forget about this. Ya know how things are with the media. 

But it doesn't cost Dungy anything. He's only a public figure because he used to be a football coach. He could lose his NBC position, but he doesn't maximize that anyways. And if that did happen, because he chose not to swallow his beliefs, there would be plenty of conservative outfits jumping at the chance to throw money at him. The people who buys his books and ask him to come speak with still do so, for the most part; maybe more. Not that that's the reason he chooses to speak his mind, I'm just saying he's not really risking anything.

If Pete Carroll or Jim Harbaugh said this, it would be a different story.

Actually it has more to do what those personal beliefs are and who the potential employee is.

For example few would have a problem with me refusing to hire someone with a felony on their record because my personal beliefs go against law breakers.

For a non criminal example you could go with someone who has a questionable sexual history such as someone who's well known to have cheated oh their spouse.

What I always find funny is the moral outrage people manage to get in regards to homophobia. If you are against gay marriage people call you a homophobe. . . Ok well it wasn't too long ago, 5 years even that the general tide of opinion was against gay marriage. And I'm guessing a lot of the people who call people these names where in fact not to long ago against it themselves. . . they just won't admit to it.

Just to be clear. If you were against something 5 years ago, you were still wrong, it doesn't diminish the wrongness. You could use that exact argument, and swap out homophobia for racism. Still dumb.

Especially ironic considering the man's distinction as the first African-American head coach to take his team to a Super Bowl title. Good thing someone gave him some opportunity to break that barrier. Almost like someone breaking ground as the first openly gay football player, and...

Wait a sec. :scratch:

Like.

What I always find funny is the moral outrage people manage to get in regards to homophobia.  If you are against gay marriage people call you a homophobe. . . Ok well it wasn't too long ago, 5 years even that the general tide of opinion was against gay marriage.  And I'm guessing a lot of the people who call people these names where in fact not to long ago against it themselves. . . they just won't admit to it.  

I'm sure that you understand the difference between choosing not to hire an ex-criminal and choosing not to hire a person with no criminal record because of his sexual orientation. At the very least, the law views those two situations very differently.

As for a known philanderer, well that speaks to character. Again, different from sexual orientation, especially from a legal standpoint. Most employment is at-will, but if you're a contract employee, I think it would be hard for your employer to get rid of you on the basis of a marital indiscretion. Especially without very specific verbiage in the contract; even morals clauses vary greatly, one from the other.

I won't presume to speak for other people or try to determine why they label people the way they do, but I do think there's a difference between having a religious or moral objection to a course of action, and being phobic of it or hating other people because of it.

Just to be clear. If you were against something 5 years ago, you were still wrong, it doesn't diminish the wrongness. You could use that exact argument, and swap out homophobia for racism. Still dumb.

Having a moral or religious objection to homosexuality is not the same as racism.

People who are guilty of being wrong for something especially being that recent should be the slowest to judge others who are guilty of the same thing.

And name calling rarely changes someones mind.  At best all you have done is gotten them to shut about something because a lot of people disapprove.  But they will still feel the same way and detest you even more for it.