Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

6,000 yards in 2014?

oldunclemark

Watching a discussion of Peyton Manning's 5,400 yard season , there was question of whether an NFL QB can throw for 6,000 in a season.

Okay. Who is most likely to average 375 yards a game and get to 6,000 this coming season?

1. Matthew Stafford (Detroit)

I think this is very likely.

Stafford has almost been to 5,000 twice (he had 4,900 3 years ago) and he's getting a receiver upgrade this year with Golden Tate and TE Eric Ebron joining Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush..

remember the 6-foot-6 TEs Pettigrew and Faurina...They're back, too.

No one is going to stop all this all game.

The negatives are that the Lions end he season at Green Bay and Chicago in December....

Those games could be played in blizzard conditions.

Consider that Jim Caldwell...a former offensive co-ordinator is Stafford's new head coach AND

...all the teams in Detroit's division GB, Minnesota and the Bears are average to weak on defense...

...so division games in decent weather will be shootouts...Big numbers will be normal.

..Stafford is in his prime..at age 26......He plays home games indoors..

This team also wont see Seattle of SF till the playoffs.

2. Drew Brees (NOLA)

3 consecutive 5,000-yard seasons....with Jimmy Graham, Pierre Thomas and Marques Colston..back

....he's got a great shot....

Carolina has a tough D and Tampa will be much better with Lovie..but Brees has some new young receivers who may make the roster...and,. here's another indoor team...The Saints play only 2 cold weather games all year (in Pitt and Chicago...) and they face the AFC North..Which may not be that strong. ..

The Saints defense may or may not be good which means that Brees may need 400 yards a game just to wion by a point.

Brees doesn't get hurt...NOLA doesn't have much of a run game...He'll be over 5,000 for sure..and the schedule (they don't play Seattle) suggests 6,000 is possible.

Plus Drew was the first to 5,000 wasn't he?

3. Peyton Manning (Denver)

There's a lot of reasons Manning could throw for 6,000. He was over 5,400 last year when Welker and Julius Thomas missed games late in the year and Manning didn't play the final half of game 16.

Eric Decker is gone but Emmanuel Sanders replaces him. Sanders may catch fewer passes for more yards than Decker did..

If Welker is hurt..Sanders moves to the slot....remember Jacob tame had to play the slot some last year.

Sanders is going to make huge gains after the catch and eh stretches the field like no one they had in 2013.

Denver's O-line is better....with Ryan Clady back and Denver also has just 2 cold weather road games all year (KC and Cincy). Plus Denver wont play in as many late game blowouts this year..facing the AFC West..which means Manning will keep throwing. And he keeps getting stronger after his surgery....6,000 was possible last year.

Why is he 3rd here?

Because the Broncos play Seattle and San Francisco, two elite defenses...Seattle knows what to do against the Broncos. Wes Welker takes a lot of hits and isn't likely to play 16 games.

KC and Oakland have no clue about how to stop Peyton but San Diego repeatedly slows him and Denver plays SD twice..again.

I think Montee Ball may rush for 1,500 yards..which means Manning would throw a little less.

///your thoughts.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is up there in likelihood of a runningback getting 3,000 yards. However while I don't see that ever happening, people in the 80s would have called us crazy if we told them QBs would be throwing for 5k on a yearly basis so who knows...still don't see it happening any time soon though.

are we talking strictly passing yards or total yards? I could maybe see a QB like Cam Newton throwing for 5K and Rushing for another 1K at some point in his career (if he ever gets any WRs). but again seems like a real tall order for anyone. I think it will happen sooner rather than later either way (next 10 years or so).

Running backs getting 3,000 seems farfetched but 150 a game is what, 2,400....so 2,500 isn't out of reach.

For 6,000 passing....your receivers and QB have to stay healthy and you have to play some teams that are down to using some bad free agents in the secondary..

....It almost has to be a team that has a bad defense because you have to keep throwing the ball for 4 quarters every week.

If Denver doesn't run into a wind storm at New England and Peyton doesn't sit out the final half at Oakland...he's near 6,000 last season, isnt he.

But Detroit is really intriguing. They may or may not win the division. But Caldwell clearly helped Joe Flacco...a ton and the defense of the Bears Packers and Vikings may cost some coaches their jobs

are we talking strictly passing yards or total yards? I could maybe see a QB like Cam Newton throwing for 5K and Rushing for another 1K at some point in his career (if he ever gets any WRs). but again seems like a real tall order for anyone. I think it will happen sooner rather than later either way (next 10 years or so).

I'm talking about 6,000 yards passing in 16 games.........but you make a good addition....

Could Cam throw for 5,000 and rush for 1,000? Maybe if they got Andre Johnson from Houston?

warm weather home games....road division games in Tampa or in domes...?

Possible but unlikely because they have such a good defense....Cam wont need to throw or run late in a lot of games..

If anyone can it's Stafford.

Calvin Johnson is the best WR in the game.

Golden Tate was the SB champ's best WR, compliments CJ well.

Broyles showed a ton of promise, imagine if Titus Young wasnt full on insane!

Plus Ebron who's a huge receiving threat at TE, Fauria is a great red zone target (6'8 or 7 actually I believe OP) and Pettigrew is a decent big bodied player.

Reggie Bush and Joique Bell are two of the best receiving backs in the league.

A very underrated OL featuring PFFs rookie of the year Warford and many other good players (Waddle, Reiff, etc)

And an offensive HC (he isn't a good coach but he'll stay out of his players way and hopefully keep the antics down, for a team this talented that's all they need)

Plus one of the scariest front 7 in the league with hopefully some progression from young players in the secondary. I believe in the Lions.

I agree that I doubt that this will happen. The league over the past year or two has allowed DBS to have a bit more contact; I hope that trend continues.

Well, the trend is more relevant for the playoffs than in the regular season where more touchy PIs are called in the regular season, IMO. Once the playoffs come around, they let them play and the physical wideouts, IF they are not looking for the flags, are given every opportunity to thwart the DBs' contact as much as the DBs are allowed to contact, at least within the 5-7 yard range with a small gray area. Blatant PIs are however called.

Marino had 5084 in 1984.

They need to put *s in the record books! Brees couldn't even stay on the field until 2004 and all of his numbers have came among Bountygate, the camera scandal, etc. Meanwhile guys like Stafford and Eli (I like Eli as a clutch QB who wins big games but statistically decorated he is not) have since broken Marino's record. This is a record that Brett Favre, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly, PEYTON MANNING before the pass happy era never even sniffed.

Edit: Stafford actually never broke the old record but he did break 5000. Eli never broke either but he rounds out the top 10 all time leaders in a season.

Running backs getting 3,000 seems farfetched but 150 a game is what, 2,400....so 2,500 isn't out of reach.

For 6,000 passing....your receivers and QB have to stay healthy and you have to play some teams that are down to using some bad free agents in the secondary..

....It almost has to be a team that has a bad defense because you have to keep throwing the ball for 4 quarters every week.

If Denver doesn't run into a wind storm at New England and Peyton doesn't sit out the final half at Oakland...he's near 6,000 last season, isnt he.

But Detroit is really intriguing. They may or may not win the division. But Caldwell clearly helped Joe Flacco...a ton and the defense of the Bears Packers and Vikings may cost some coaches their jobs

Football finally we are back to agreeing. I think it could be done Stafford doesn't need that much help he just needed someone besides Megatron to throw the ball too who has been the best #2 he has had Burleson? He throws a lot of INT's a lot were forcing to Megatron some were bad decisions either way they keep teams in games allowing more passing.

Tate was a good pick up and TJ Jones was a steal in the 6th if Tommy Rees was more consistent he would have went much higher(big Irish fan). Then they took Ebron with the 10th pick in the draft now the have a real threat at TE. Teams are not going to be able to just lock in on Megatron this year. If they do they will pay. 

Detroit's running game is basically little dump offs to Bush and Bell with the occasional hand off. They play in a dome. Lions play in a division where all the teams can score well there is Minn. but they have weapons. Half of their games are in a dome depends on what time of the year they visit GB and Chicago.

I am not saying it will but it could and I think Stafford could be the guy. I would love to see someone bring the run and shoot back Warren Moon in 2014,

The question comes down to this.

Do you want a Super Bowl ring or do you want stats?

Manning stats last year are meaningless since what will always be remembered is how poorly the Broncos (whom spent the entire year running up stats to break every offensive record in history) played that game.

Stats do not matter at the end of the day when you get you get blown out very badly like that when everything is on the line.

What's more memorable from the 2011 Saints? Was it Brees stats, or the fact they lost in the playoffs? Not to forget everyone moaned and complained weekly about Brees running the stats up, but not when it's their guy. Brees is the most hated "elite" quarterback at the end of the day anyway, nobody wants him winning anything.

The 2007 Pats were the best example of this (before the Broncos of last year) cause they had the records too, and no one remembers them except for the fact they went undefeated and lost in the Super Bowl, and that Pats defense was brutal in 2007.

Before all this 5,000 yard craze began, go back and look at the QB's that led passing stats and what happened to them.

Kurt Warner came close to a 5,000 yard season in 2001, and he lost the Super Bowl.

Dan Marino was the first to hit 5,000 yards and despite the Dolphins being an offensive juggernaut they were useless in that Super Bowl.

Besides this, Marino led yardage and TD stats multiple seasons and the Dolphins would get slaughtered in the playoffs.

Warren Moon use to amass stats too back in his prime and the Oilers always had epic melt downs in the playoffs.

Drew Bledsoe led the yards in 1994 and no one even remembers this, probably because the Pats lost in the first round.

Brett Favre led the yardage stats in 1995, won the MVP and then the Packers lost badly in the playoffs

Before the 2000's, many seasons the passing stat leaders wouldn't even reach the playoffs.

One of my favorite mediocre QB's of all time was Steve Beurelein. In 1999 he put up an epic season for the 8-8 Panthers where he threw for 4,436 yards, 36 TD's and 15 INT's. Had the Panthers won the division that year and Kurt Warner didn't exist, he would have probably won the MVP, and he's the kind of guy that often gets laughed at for how bad he looked on those old Cardinals teams, yet he put up big numbers at the time. it don't look extraordinary today but for 1999 that was great. He had a better year than Warner statistically and the Panthers only won 8 games.

Leading the passing stats is a curse to a team cause it guarantees that they won't win the Super Bowl.

I highly doubt we're going to see a team win the Super Bowl and lead the passing stats, it's been balanced teams with strong defenses in the last 4 years. Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco were not even in the top 10 on stats and they have rings (and most people argue Flacco is terrible). Eli has 2 rings and everyone always talks about what a joke of a QB he is cause he don't have mega stats, but he has two rings.

I don't even care about stats anymore with Brees. They mean nothing to me. He's never going to win an MVP sadly, and I really don't even care what yards he puts up anymore cause all I want is one more Super Bowl before he retires. Just one more ring is all I want.

I'm sure Lions fans would rather have at least one playoff win rather than Stafford's 5,000 yard season. I know when the Saints lost in 2011, it was humiliating to think of all the stats and how it became meaningless since they didn't win it.

Guest nflfan014

I don't even care about stats anymore with Brees. They mean nothing to me. He's never going to win an MVP sadly, and I really don't even care what yards he puts up anymore cause all I want is one more Super Bowl before he retires. Just one more ring is all I want.

I feel the same way about Brady and the Pats.  The only individual stats I care about with Brady is that he completes more than 60 percent of his passes and throws less than 14 INT (he's never thrown more than that in a season.)  Trent Green threw for a lot of yards in his day, and he never won anything.

Otherwise I just want the SB win.  Finally, Belichick figured out that it doesn't matter how great your QB and offense is, you need a great defense to win in the playoffs.  Hopefully Revis and Browner stay healthy.

The question comes down to this.

Do you want a Super Bowl ring or do you want stats?

Manning stats last year are meaningless since what will always be remembered is how poorly the Broncos (whom spent the entire year running up stats to break every offensive record in history) played that game.

Stats do not matter at the end of the day when you get you get blown out very badly like that when everything is on the line.

What's more memorable from the 2011 Saints? Was it Brees stats, or the fact they lost in the playoffs? Not to forget everyone moaned and complained weekly about Brees running the stats up, but not when it's their guy. Brees is the most hated "elite" quarterback at the end of the day anyway, nobody wants him winning anything.

The 2007 Pats were the best example of this (before the Broncos of last year) cause they had the records too, and no one remembers them except for the fact they went undefeated and lost in the Super Bowl, and that Pats defense was brutal in 2007.

Before all this 5,000 yard craze began, go back and look at the QB's that led passing stats and what happened to them.

Kurt Warner came close to a 5,000 yard season in 2001, and he lost the Super Bowl.

Dan Marino was the first to hit 5,000 yards and despite the Dolphins being an offensive juggernaut they were useless in that Super Bowl.

Besides this, Marino led yardage and TD stats multiple seasons and the Dolphins would get slaughtered in the playoffs.

Warren Moon use to amass stats too back in his prime and the Oilers always had epic melt downs in the playoffs.

Drew Bledsoe led the yards in 1994 and no one even remembers this, probably because the Pats lost in the first round.

Brett Favre led the yardage stats in 1995, won the MVP and then the Packers lost badly in the playoffs

Before the 2000's, many seasons the passing stat leaders wouldn't even reach the playoffs.

One of my favorite mediocre QB's of all time was Steve Beurelein. In 1999 he put up an epic season for the 8-8 Panthers where he threw for 4,436 yards, 36 TD's and 15 INT's. Had the Panthers won the division that year and Kurt Warner didn't exist, he would have probably won the MVP, and he's the kind of guy that often gets laughed at for how bad he looked on those old Cardinals teams, yet he put up big numbers at the time. it don't look extraordinary today but for 1999 that was great. He had a better year than Warner statistically and the Panthers only won 8 games.

Leading the passing stats is a curse to a team cause it guarantees that they won't win the Super Bowl.

I highly doubt we're going to see a team win the Super Bowl and lead the passing stats, it's been balanced teams with strong defenses in the last 4 years. Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco were not even in the top 10 on stats and they have rings (and most people argue Flacco is terrible). Eli has 2 rings and everyone always talks about what a joke of a QB he is cause he don't have mega stats, but he has two rings.

I'm sure Lions fans would rather have at least one playoff win rather than Stafford's 5,000 yard season. I know when the Saints lost in 2011, it was humiliating to think of all the stats and how it became meaningless since they didn't win it.

Wow this is all over the place...what single person has ever ripped Dan Marino for that SB loss that season he broke the yardage record? That record, which isn't even a "record" anymore, is discussed more than the dang TD record that Peyton is about to obliterate.

Nobody rips Favre for 1995 either. That game was almost an epic comeback. It was the biggest playoff advancement they'd made since SBII and they had to pull off an upset the previous week to get there.

People choose between stats and rings depending on how their quarterback is doing at the time. It's summer time now so sure everybody wants to win. Then when Brees has 5,000 yards you're going to clammor for the MVP because he will have carried the team to 9 wins that should have been 12 wins if not for this and this and this that wasn't his fault.

This is up there in likelihood of a runningback getting 3,000 yards. However while I don't see that ever happening, people in the 80s would have called us crazy if we told them QBs would be throwing for 5k on a yearly basis so who knows...still don't see it happening any time soon though.

I think a running back getting 3000 is a lot crazier.

I think a running back getting 3000 is a lot crazier.

Yeah, having to average 187 yards a game...it's never going to happen, especially not in today's NFL. A QB reaching 6,000 is definitely more attainable, but still really out there and hard to fathom.

Guest nflfan014

People choose between stats and rings depending on how their quarterback is doing at the time.

If you ask most Pats fans, they'll take the ring every time.  I don't consider 2007 or 2010 successes even though Brady won the MVP. 

If you ask most Pats fans, they'll take the ring every time.  I don't consider 2007 or 2010 successes even though Brady won the MVP. 

Ah the old ring vs stats debate. I think we have to be careful how we define success. The ultimate success in any sport is to win the championship so you can always look at a season that falls short of the ring as a failure but I loved 2007 and would not change anything about that season. To go undefeated until 18-0 was an unbelievable ride as a fan and made the entire season titillating to watch. The last month of the season felt like every game was a Super Bowl as the team went to 13-0 and then 14-0 and 15-0 and the capper with the Giants that maybe the best regular season game of all time given it propelled them to the perfect 16-0. Every year a team wins the Super Bowl, no team in the history of the sport has ever went 16-0 and I am really proud of that and would never trade that.

By the same token, Brady's 2010 was historic for the TD to INT ratio of 9:1 and the 355 attempts without a pick which did while throwing to two rookie TEs, a retread in Branch and Welker. It was this effort that yielded the only unanimous MVP and again I would not trade that season. I hated losing to the Jets in the divisional round but the season was terrific to watch and unexpected given the team lost Moss early and really had no other big name passing weapon other than Welker in the slot.

A lot of times, the defense not able to strengthen the lead with defensive scoring or the head coach/QB being pass happy without a decent run game are two factors that lead to QBs breaking passing yardage records.

First one was the factor with the Broncos D last year.

Second one was the factor when Brees and the Saints broke it originally.

Peyton jumped up about 800 yards from the year before, Brees did so too from 2010 season to the 2011 one.

Not talking about individual stats I'm talking about the record.

Usually single season yardage records are broken by a couple hundred yards at most.  

I just don't see anyone going from 5400 yards to 6000 without a lot of inbetween time where the record slowly moves up that way.

And 375 yards per game is tough.  For most QB's throwing 375 yards in one game is a great game, very productive.  You are essentially trying to get someone to have a 16 great games in a row.  

Maybe if you pair Manning, Brees, or Rodgers up with Calvin Johnson, a not suspended Josh Gordon, AJ Green and Jimmy Graham or a not injured Gronk as well as a receiving RB like Shady McCoy and they are still throwing deep routes even when they are up by 5 TD's you could get 6000 yards in a season.  Basically a superstar QB with 3 super star receivers and a super star TE and a super star receiving RB in an offense that is designed to sling the ball nearly every down and they do that even when they have a huge lead.  

I loved 2007 and would not change anything about that season. To go undefeated until 18-0 was an unbelievable ride as a fan and made the entire season titillating to watch. The last month of the season felt like every game was a Super Bowl as the team went to 13-0 and then 14-0 and 15-0 and the capper with the Giants that maybe the best regular season game of all time given it propelled them to the perfect 16-0. Every year a team wins the Super Bowl, no team in the history of the sport has ever went 16-0 and I am really proud of that and would never trade that.

I feel the same way about Brett Favre in 2009. The comeback against Chicago late that Monday night in the sleet was almost 1 of the greatest comebacks of all time...almost being because it technically wasn't a comeback since Adrian Peterson fumbled it away in OT after Favre tied it. This game was the closest we ever got back to 90s Favre. He was out there 40 years old running around like a looney tune after every Td. He pulled a ton of plays out of his poopshoot that year, not just the 49er play. The Ravens game and both Packer games saw him having to win it at the end because Childress let them back in the game. It just didn't literally come down to the final play like the 49er game.

He finally got a playoff win against Dallas too. Not only that, he got revenge on that Dallas team in particular who stunned him in Green Bay in 2007 when they knocked him out of the game and won it (which it looked like they were going to win anyway).

Football finally we are back to agreeing. I think it could be done Stafford doesn't need that much help he just needed someone besides Megatron to throw the ball too who has been the best #2 he has had Burleson? He throws a lot of INT's a lot were forcing to Megatron some were bad decisions either way they keep teams in games allowing more passing.

Tate was a good pick up and TJ Jones was a steal in the 6th if Tommy Rees was more consistent he would have went much higher(big Irish fan). Then they took Ebron with the 10th pick in the draft now the have a real threat at TE. Teams are not going to be able to just lock in on Megatron this year. If they do they will pay. 

Detroit's running game is basically little dump offs to Bush and Bell with the occasional hand off. They play in a dome. Lions play in a division where all the teams can score well there is Minn. but they have weapons. Half of their games are in a dome depends on what time of the year they visit GB and Chicago.

I am not saying it will but it could and I think Stafford could be the guy. I would love to see someone bring the run and shoot back Warren Moon in 2014,

Even those who bad mouth 'head coach' Jim Caldwell admit he's a good co-ordinator.

Yeah....Its time to come back to football...Basketball was a disappointment this year

Even those who bad mouth 'head coach' Jim Caldwell admit he's a good co-ordinator.

Yeah....Its time to come back to football...Basketball was a disappointment this year

Not a very good outlook for next year either the Wizards signed Paul Pierce today a guy I think can still play and may be the most underrated player this decade. He should provide some stability for Wall and Bradley,

Stan Van Gundy making sneaking little moves in Detroit who already have a strong front line. I am concerned about what we have going hope we have the rights to our first round pick this year,  Definitely not a great off season for the home team.

Caldwell has a lot to work with I think you or I might be able to put up some points with that offense, If Stafford can cut down on the bone head plays they will be a good team. I think a lot of his problem was he didn't really have options Tate the rookie TE and Jones should really help. I think this year is by far the most talent they have had around him. He can really spin that thing too might have the strongest arm in the league. He is at least in the conversation

OC is the easiest job in football in many cases. Wasn't it Todd Haley who didn't even play or coach football? And was friends with Ken Wisenhunt who was like "yeah Kurt will call the plays if you get mixed up. Just call running plays until they quit working then call passing plays" when he was tired of calling plays. And he got started alongside Charlie Weis who didn't play football either, yet is somehow famous like Tom Brady had nothing to do with those SB rings.

Then Jim Caldwell...Peyton's qUaRtErBaCk CoAcH lol!

OC is the easiest job in football in many cases. Wasn't it Todd Haley who didn't even play or coach football? And was friends with Ken Wisenhunt who was like "yeah Kurt will call the plays if you get mixed up. Just call running plays until they quit working then call passing plays" when he was tired of calling plays. And he got started alongside Charlie Weis who didn't play football either, yet is somehow famous like Tom Brady had nothing to do with those SB rings.

Then Jim Caldwell...Peyton's qUaRtErBaCk CoAcH lol!

Haley coached for ten years before becoming an OC.

Haley coached for ten years before becoming an OC.

Was looking that up and found out that Haley graduated from the same university that my wife did.  University of North Florida.  

Interestingly enough it's also jokingly referred to as The University of No Football.  

But he did pay his coaching dues, started in the scouting department with the Jets, his father helped him land that job and worked his way up from there.