Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Carey retires, goes to the CBS broadcast team

Superman

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/29/cbs-sports-lands-nfl-referee-mike-carey-broadcasting-job

Good piece. This is a fairly recent development. I saw the headline a few days ago, but didn't realize he was retiring. I just thought he would work Thursday games for CBS in the booth. But he's going to do the Mike Pereira role, as an in-studio analyst who breaks down confusing or controversial calls. I'm not that big a fan of his officiating, but I always enjoy when former pros give the fans a peek behind the curtain. I'll be looking forward to Carey in this new role.

It's almost guaranteed that he'll do a better job that Pereira....Pereira was brutal.  Many of his explanations seemed subjective and unclear

Pereira will still be on FOX, so you'll get to do a side-by-side comparison if you want. I do think Carey will be a little easier to listen to, and will probably express himself better.

Pereira actually started this whole thing, back when he was still head of officiating. He'd go on NFL Network and talk about controversial calls, even explaining missed calls. I always appreciated that, because the NFL was admitting that mistakes were made, rather than pretending that us fans just didn't know what we were looking at.

Pereira will still be on FOX, so you'll get to do a side-by-side comparison if you want. I do think Carey will be a little easier to listen to, and will probably express himself better.

Pereira actually started this whole thing, back when he was still head of officiating. He'd go on NFL Network and talk about controversial calls, even explaining missed calls. I always appreciated that, because the NFL was admitting that mistakes were made, rather than pretending that us fans just didn't know what we were looking at.

I do remember that.  It was a cool feature, but I came away unsatisfied with many of the explanations.  A lot of times, he would say something like "it's a judgement call for the ref", which I interpret as "this is a penalty because the ref said so".  So one ref may call it a penalty while another would not.  That sort of inconsistency leaves something to be desired.  I think NFL reffing in the last couple of years has taken a downturn in quality, but when you compare it to the reffing in the NBA, it's on another level.  I also think FIFA should add another ref or two to the action; one ref to monitor over 20 players on such a massive field is a recipe for missed calls.  With that said, I think the NFL has one of the better reffing systems in pro sports, with several refs on the field, each looking at different things to make sure nothing is missed.