Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bills DE Jerry Hughes street racing

Virtuoso80

street racing is a pretty dumb hobby

It reminds me of an article I read back when the State of Montana didn't have a posted speed limit, but rather it was defined as driving an "appropriate" speed.  In one car accidents, State patrols would rountinely write tickets for 'driving too fast for conditions" with the proof lying in the ditch or wrapped around a tree.  Others could drive 110 mph with no problem. 

I wouldn't advocate anybody pursuing a risky hobby, including hang gliding, small plane piloting, or hunting.  In general, dumb people should stay away from them.  Its obvious that Darius shouldn't do it.

It reminds me of an article I read back when the State of Montana didn't have a posted speed limit, but rather it was defined as driving an "appropriate" speed. In one car accidents, State patrols would rountinely write tickets for 'driving too fast for conditions" with the proof lying in the ditch or wrapped around a tree. Others could drive 110 mph with no problem.

I wouldn't advocate anybody pursuing a risky hobby, including hang gliding, small plane piloting, or hunting. In general, dumb people should stay away from them. Its obvious that Darius shouldn't do it.

they were in town, not on a rural road. Nobody should do it

they were in town, not on a rural road. Nobody should do it

I wouldn't encourage anybody doing it anywhere.  I wouldn't do it.  I might hit a tree.  So did Darius.

You know, car accidents aren't really "accidents" unless a car accidentally breaks.  95% of them is due to poor driving by at least one driver given the circumstances, whatever they may be.

I wouldn't encourage anybody doing it anywhere. I wouldn't do it. I might hit a tree. So did Darius.

You know, car accidents aren't really "accidents" unless a car accidentally breaks. 95% of them is due to poor driving by at least one driver given the circumstances, whatever they may be.

he hit a tree outside of a restaurant.

he hit a tree outside of a restaurant.

Yes, I know.  Darius did.  Apparently, Hughes was a good enough driver, under the circumstances, to avoid hitting that big stationary object that was off the street.  ;)  ;)  ;)

I wouldn't encourage anybody doing it anywhere. I wouldn't do it. I might hit a tree. So did Darius.

You know, car accidents aren't really "accidents" unless a car accidentally breaks. 95% of them is due to poor driving by at least one driver given the circumstances, whatever they may be.

But you'll abdicate people to break other rules of the road, such as stopping at stop signs, where they feel it's appropriate? So where is the cut off point in your opinion?

But you'll abdicate people to break other rules of the road, such as stopping at stop signs, where they feel it's appropriate? So where is the cut off point in your opinion?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I encourage everybody to drive within the limits of their skills.  That varies from person to person, and who am I, or you, to say.  Police reports usually make that call.  If someone isn't included in a police report, they probably drove within the limits of their skills that day.

My daughter about killed us.  She was merging onto the interstate and decided to listen to her driving instructor and the police officers lectures and, wanting to be a law abiding citizen, fumbled with the left turn signal trying to indicate that she was merging left......you know........to tell other drivers she was going to the place everybody would know she was going anyway!

Problem was, no one was even close to her.  The source of the problem stemming from being taught to abide by the law, not to assess the situation...correctly. 

But hey...its the law to signal.  If fumbing for the turn signal at 60mph when no one is around makes a person feel safe, taking pride in being a law abiding citizen... I can't help their driving skills.

Kind of like staying on cruise control and taking 3 minutes to pass someone.  Personally, I think that traveling 70 mph 6 feet next to someone for three miles is rather dangerous, so I kick it up to 80 to pass already and get some separation and to be safe.  I don't care if I blow by a cop when I'm doing it.

I'd say perhaps this type of decision he made may shed some light on why Grigson traded him for nothing but we have others currently on the roster who have made some dumb life choices. Not to dismiss his street racing because of it being illegal but being arrested for street racing is hardly a news worthy crime

I'm not sure what you mean, but I encourage everybody to drive within the limits of their skills. That varies from person to person, and who am I, or you, to say. Police reports usually make that call. If someone isn't included in a police report, they probably drove within the limits of their skills that day.

My daughter about killed us. She was merging onto the interstate and decided to listen to her driving instructor and the police officers lectures and, wanting to be a law abiding citizen, fumbled with the left turn signal trying to indicate that she was merging left......you know........to tell other drivers she was going to the place everybody would know she was going anyway!

Problem was, no one was even close to her. The source of the problem stemming from being taught to abide by the law, not to assess the situation...correctly.

But hey...its the law to signal. If fumbing for the turn signal at 60mph when no one is around makes a person feel safe, taking pride in being a law abiding citizen... I can't help their driving skills.

Kind of like staying on cruise control and taking 3 minutes to pass someone. Personally, I think that traveling 70 mph 6 feet next to someone for three miles is rather dangerous, so I kick it up to 80 to pass already and get some separation and to be safe. I don't care if I blow by a cop when I'm doing it.

Your daughter probably shouldn't be driving if she can't flick a turn signal on whilst riding the highway/expressway. Then again neither should you.

Your daughter probably shouldn't be driving if she can't flick a turn signal on whilst riding the highway/expressway. Then again neither should you.

She's learning.   Thanks for the advice.  We'll turn in our licenses tomorrow.

If a car is on the on ramp merging onto the interstate and you can't figure out it will be in the right lane of the interstate very shortly, unless it has its left blinker on...well.......