Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Jack Mewhort

HtownColt

@mchappell51: #colts sign 2nd round draft pick Jack Mewhort. in line for 4-year, $3.428 mill contract, $$873,360 SB

I bet those numbers aren't right. Chappell reported the wrong numbers on Newsome the other day, just using last year's #166. Mewhort's total should be closer to $3.6m. Not a big deal, but look for an update to that...

I bet those numbers aren't right. Chappell reported the wrong numbers on Newsome the other day, just using last year's #166. Mewhort's total should be closer to $3.6m. Not a big deal, but look for an update to that...

Yea that's why he said "in line for", just gotta wait for the Spotrac numbers

I knew Moncrief would be the last to sign. Anyone else? Anyone? I could not have been the only one!

Naaa, seems like skill positions are always the last to sign. I'm not sure if it's because they feel that they are entitled to more money than other positions or think they are better than everyone else!? I may be biased though... Being a former Center! ;)

@mchappell51: #colts sign 2nd round draft pick Jack Mewhort. in line for 4-year, $3.428 mill contract, $$873,360 SB

From Andrew Brandt:

8. No Increase

Speaking of rookie contracts, the 2014 draft’s signing bonus amounts will be the same as 2013, which were the same as 2012, which were the same as 2011. Only minimum salaries have risen in rookie contracts since the start of the CBA.

Why? I asked the NFLPA and got this response: “We had to borrow against future rookie pools to allow for the $15,000 per year increase in rookie minimums.” In other words, overall salary cap increases to date have not justified annual $15,000 minimum salary increases for all rookies, leaving nothing for rookie bonus increases to this point.

The new CBA’s rookie pay system is, for NFL teams, the gift that keeps on giving.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/15/nfl-10-thoughts-around-the-league-andrew-brandt-the-mmqb/

I knew the league and PA borrowed from future years for cap increases the past two seasons, but I didn't know they did the same for rookie contracts. So there should be a modest increase in total contract value (assuming the numbers we've seen, it's about 4%), but no increase for signing bonuses.

Kind of off-topic, but I found it interesting.

I'll take that signing bonus...wife won't have to work after that

Not that I feel sorry for him or anything but it's worthwhile to remember that signing bonuses like their salary are subject to taxes.  So any numbers you see posted for their contracts, in reality they are really taking home maybe a little over half of that.