Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Trade value at WR

BProland85

We have 9 DL on the roster right now. All 9 won't make the final 53. I don't think any of the veterans are PS eligible (maybe Pendleton, but I don't think so).

The UDFAs are definitely question marks. But we're two months away from training camp. They have a shot to supplant guys like Moala and Pendleton. I have nothing against either of those guys, and I'm not trying to push them out, but they aren't untouchable. 

Agreed.    I wouldn't call them untouchable.

But the staff has always liked Moala more than the fans who post here.

And Grigson was originally interested in Pendleton when he came out of college a few years ago at age 28.    Now he's 30.

But he's got fresh legs and body because he hasn't played much.    You know how Grigson likes his diamonds in the rough....

It's a numbers game for me....  until we acquire someone who can clearly beat out our veterans,  I think they stand a good chance of being on the 53.....

All that said.....    the inevitable injuries can and will change everything....

And Grigson was originally interested in Pendleton when he came out of college a few years ago at age 28.    Now he's 30.

But he's got fresh legs and body because he hasn't played much.    You know how Grigson likes his diamonds in the rough....

It's a numbers game for me....  until we acquire someone who can clearly beat out our veterans,  I think they stand a good chance of being on the 53.....

All that said.....    the inevitable injuries can and will change everything....

We may have acquired players who can beat out the vets. No one knows because none of our players have been on the field yet. It might not be likely at the moment, but camp is a long way off.

Either way, I don't think it's likely that any of our DL get traded at any point. 

I don't think we'll keep more than 5. It would make sense to try to raise Brazill's profile and move him for a late pick, as he's not PS eligible. Neither is Whalen, and I don't think he'll make the final 53 either. I think it's Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Moncrief, in whatever order. 

THinking the same as you 

I would try trading Whalen and Brazil together in exchange for a single, higher-reward player. I think they should target players like Stephen Hill or Justin Blackmon. They're both players that may not contribute anything this year but could be important next year if Reggie and Nicks are both gone.

I would be surprised if we don't have someone on IR or something by the start of the season. We always do...whether Reggie isn't all the way healed or Nicks has issues or one of the young guys...would not be surprised at all...even if its a precautionary type injury.

I agree, i mentioned in a previous thread that i think Brazil might be shipped off before the regular season kicks into gear. We def are loaded at WR too loaded actually. if we can get some sort of pick for him im all for shipping him off rather than cutting him.

say grigson likes cleveland and they need wr . get a draft pick for one are wr.s

I would be surprised if we don't have someone on IR or something by the start of the season. We always do...whether Reggie isn't all the way healed or Nicks has issues or one of the young guys...would not be surprised at all...even if its a precautionary type injury.

reggie own words said he was ready for this year reg season.   as for nicks he a starter period.  next.

I'd certainly trade him for a 5th.  I don't think we'd get higher then a 6th for him.  He's got a lot of speed but he's never been very productive.  Add to that a previous drug suspension.  

Whalen I think might get picked up on waivers but I don't think anyone would give us anything for him.

This is all correct!!

Moala & Pendleton beaten out I don;'t think so!

reggie own words said he was ready for this year reg season.   as for nicks he a starter period.  next.

All I was saying is that we ALWAYS have injuries. If we as fans think this year is going to be different from any other year I think we will just be dissappointed. Perhaps we don't have any at this position...and we have all read about Reggie's recovery. That said Nicks has had numerous documented injuries as well so to think that nobody could end up on the IR or anything is not crazy. I imagine Whelan would be the one to go unless we stash someone on the IR and keep the other 6. No way we can keep all 7....but having one start the season injured...I don't think its just a possibility but I would be surprised if someone in wr core WASN'T injured...whether its a nagging hamstring or ankle or something serious...I expect someone stashed away on the IR.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on Hakeem Nicks injury history, holding on to Rogers and Whalen seem to be the smartest idea  :thmup: .  Given the circumstances last year I think Rogers/Whalen showed flashes of great playmaking ability.  

So what do you do if those injuries happen in season?   Gonna be hard to keep 7 WR's on the opening day 53.  Doing so comes at the expense of another position and likely hurts your ST's. 

So what do you do if those injuries happen in season?   Gonna be hard to keep 7 WR's on the opening day 53.  Doing so comes at the expense of another position and likely hurts your ST's. 

Very true J, its a catch 22 brother.  I propose 6 WR'S :Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Rogers, Whalen, Moncrief.  But who listens to me  :thinking:

No way we will keep all 7, but I don't think we need to try swinging a trade until about August.. Make sure there are no freak injuries in camp and see who looks to be the most ready now rather than basing their worth off last season.

The 4 guarantees to me are Hilton, Wayne, Nicks, and Moncrief.

Again I think Rogers is a lock to make it... and the question comes down to Whalen, or Brazill. Odds are the team keeps 6 of them incase anything goes down. One will be a return man wich would help.

I think they have to be legitimately injured in order to do that though.  That having been said I don't think it's a bad idea.

I just thought of this though, but perhaps Grif can go back on the practice squad.

The rules say you can only be on practice squad 2 years, but Grif wasn't on the PS his first  year, he was on IR.  

Granted that doesn't prevent another team from signing him away.  

I had never heard that about only being on practice squad for 2 years.   If that is so,  then I guess we say goodbye to Harnish

I had never heard that about only being on practice squad for 2 years.   If that is so,  then I guess we say goodbye to Harnish

There is some exception that can give you a 3rd year but I don't quite understand it.  Here are the rules.

• A player is eligible if he does not have an accrued season of NFL experience. Players gain an accrued season by being on the active roster for at least six games.
  • If a player has one accrued season, they can still be practice squad eligible if they were on the 45-man active gameday roster for less than nine regular season games.
  • A player is deemed to have served a season on the practice squad if he remains on the practice squad for at least three weeks. Players are eligible to be on the practice squad for two seasons.
  • Players can be eligible for a third practice squad season if their team maintains no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/8/31/4677982/nfl-practice-squad-salary-rules-eligibility

My thing is. . . doesn't every team keep 53 players on the active/inactive list?  I've never heard of a team not carrying the full allotment of players. 

I know Brazill hasn't shown a whole lot...but has any rookie that would be drafted with a 5th round pick shown more? 

What type of college WR would a team get with that pick?

I think Brazill has shown that he is capable of sticking on a NFL roster, and has the talent to probably be more productive than he has.

Yes, I think he would be worth a 5th round pick to a team that has few options at that position.