Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Urging Fans To "buck Up"

kayakaster

Decline over the past few years? Really? Lets see last year they went 10-6, won the division and made the playoffs while missing so major key players. Season before that they went 14-2, won both playoff games and made it to the Superbowl. Exactly how is that declining? There are about oh I would say 29-30 teams in teh NFL that would love to have those back to back seasons and be considered declining.

Again sorry but Colt fan is just way to spoiled and jadded....

technically that is declining

when you go from 14-2 and losing the super bowl to 10-6 and losing in the first round, is that improving? Then 10-6 to ?-9?

Edited by ssarow

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when you go from the SB to winless in 2 or 3 years that is not just a decline but AN EPIC COLLAPSE.And it means there is something fundamentally wrong with the way you do things no matter who gets hurt.

Just wondering...what do you think the record of the Colts would be at this point in the season if Peyton was playing at 100%? I see us being like 5-4 or maybe 6-3...what record would you see?

Just wondering...what do you think the record of the Colts would be at this point in the season if Peyton was playing at 100%? I see us being like 5-4 or maybe 6-3...what record would you see?

8-1 or 7-2

the loss coming against the Saints, maybe the Texans

I doubt it would have been that high. We probably would have been stairing at another 10-6 season if Peyton were healthy this season.

Given how the south is not very good, I am willing to bet that gets us another divisional title and a playoff berth and looking around the AFC this year I don't see any "dominate" team in the AFC so far with all the top teams having issues.

It would be about 5-4 I believe.But the fact they look so bad without him is alarming and makes you wonder if they even acknowledged the fact they are going to need a much more balanced team when he quits. Edited by mahagga73

I doubt it would have been that high. We probably would have been stairing at another 10-6 season if Peyton were healthy this season.

We haven't had a hard 9 games so far

we had the Browns, Titans, Chiefs which are all winnable

we had the Bengals, Bucs, Falcons, Steelers which aren't easy by any means but definitely beatable

we had the Texans and Saints the only two real teams I could see beating the Colts

so it's not crazy to think we could be 7-2 right now or even 8-1

if anything our schedule gets harder from here on

Pats, Ravens, Texans

then we get the Titans, Jaguars (x2), Panthers.

This team could very well be 13-3, 12-4 or 11-5 with Manning

the only contenders we play are the Patriots, Ravens, Saints, and possibly the Texans. Every other team is beatable and even these 4 listed.

Edited by ssarow

I absolutely refuse to accept mediocrity from the Colts again. If anything, after this fantastic decade we should hold ourselves to a higher standard

Not realistic. the Colts experienced a decade like no other team in the NFL has ever even come close to.

If Manning comes back ready to roll next season, I will be glad that we had this season now as opposed to when he's retired and not able to come back and help save this team.

At least now, they see what the issues are and have the opportunity to make positive changes with the added punch of Manning making his return (we all should hope, anyway).

Now, what they do with that opportunity is another topic all by itself but at least we have Manning, at least to a degree, to count on.

If Manning comes back ready to roll next season, I will be glad that we had this season now as opposed to when he's retired and not able to come back and help save this team.

At least now, they see what the issues are and have the opportunity to make positive changes with the added punch of Manning making his return (we all should hope, anyway).

Now, what they do with that opportunity is another topic all by itself but at least we have Manning, at least to a degree, to count on.

To me this is the perfect season to have this happen. The draft is full of possible replacments for Peyton long term while still possibly having Peyton back for a couple of seasons. We also get better draft positions and a eaiser schedule. If we have to suffer through a season of suckiness, best that it was this year.

To me this is the perfect season to have this happen. The draft is full of possible replacments for Peyton long term while still possibly having Peyton back for a couple of seasons. We also get better draft positions and a eaiser schedule. If we have to suffer through a season of suckiness, best that it was this year.

Agreed, and if Manning doesn't return, well, just bad luck and an early end to one of the greatest careers most of us will ever witness in our lifetime. :nono2: The suckiness will go well with my mood. lol

Lets not forget they also had more 1st round playoff defeats than any team in a decade.

So...how many teams in the NFL would love to have that on their resume...Ask Bengal fan or Lion fan if they wouldn't mind having a team with that problem of "only" getting 1 playoff game.

to me this an example with what is wrong with today's fan. This whole what have you done for me lately is really depressing. Yes the Colts are having a down season. So what, it happens, we have been on top for the past decade, at some point all great teams have done years. Allow the mag't team that put together the dynasty to rebuild, it may take a season or two but they are at least allowed the opportunity to see if they can do it.

I hear what you are saying as having a down year after so many playoff seasons is something that is quite understandable to the reasonable person. However, to be potentially 0-16 all of a sudden is altogether different and probably indicative of some larger issues going on. Even without Peyton this team should not have gone from competitive to incompetent overnight.

Edited by Coltsman1788

I hear what you are saying having a down year after so many playoff seasons is something that is quite understandable to the reasonable person. However, to be potentially 0-16 all of a sudden is altogether different and probably indicative of some larger issues going on. Even without Peyton this team should not have gone from competitive to incompetent overnight.

Why not? We had an untested not very talented backup QB. There is no other position in all of sports more important to have a quality player in. When Peyton never missed a game it didn't allow the colts to test Painter in any actual games to see what he could or couldn't do. It is like putting you or me in an Indy car and asked to race the entire Indy car season. Sure our car can be good and we know how to drive, but we are not qualified to drive in indy car races and be competitive. Yet remove us and put in say Dario Francitti and watch out....

Why not? We had an untested not very talented backup QB. There is no other position in all of sports more important to have a quality player in. When Peyton never missed a game it didn't allow the colts to test Painter in any actual games to see what he could or couldn't do. It is like putting you or me in an Indy car and asked to race the entire Indy car season. Sure our car can be good and we know how to drive, but we are not qualified to drive in indy car races and be competitive. Yet remove us and put in say Dario Francitti and watch out....

I hear you. However, one might argue that the fact that we didn't have a Dario Francitti type back up to put in is part of the problem though. We have had Peyton for over a decade. You would think that the front office would have made provisions to have a decent quality back-up for him in all that time. I know Peyton was an iron man up until this year, but still it wasn't exactly unthinkable that this scenario could happen. Especially after we watched it happen to the Pats with Tom Brady not too long ago. Difference is their team was better built overall and thus more equipped to survive the situation. We now find ourselves in the same predicament and can't seem to even be able to muster up 1 win. That is the byproduct of some poor planning. Overall our organization has managed to do alot of things right over the past decade but still some key areas where we have traditionally skimped on have caught up to bite us all in the rear this year.

Edited by Coltsman1788

We haven't had a hard 9 games so far

we had the Browns, Titans, Chiefs which are all winnable

we had the Bengals, Bucs, Falcons, Steelers which aren't easy by any means but definitely beatable

we had the Texans and Saints the only two real teams I could see beating the Colts

so it's not crazy to think we could be 7-2 right now or even 8-1

if anything our schedule gets harder from here on

Pats, Ravens, Texans

then we get the Titans, Jaguars (x2), Panthers.

This team could very well be 13-3, 12-4 or 11-5 with Manning

the only contenders we play are the Patriots, Ravens, Saints, and possibly the Texans. Every other team is beatable and even these 4 listed.

Although I do believe that this year's schedule is a miniscule bit easier that last season, even though to me there is no such thing as an easy schedule in the NFL, the defense and special teams look absolutely horrible and much worse than last season. Last season with Manning the Colts offense scored 27.2 points per game even with all of the injuries and manage a 10-6 record. I just can't see this season being much better than 10-6 even with Manning.

Not realistic. the Colts experienced a decade like no other team in the NFL has ever even come close to.

Make that regular season success. We sucked in the playoffs over the past decade. It must be hard for you to understand NFL success is measured by the bottom line and an NFL season goes regular season and playoffs. To have success in one part (regular season) and utter failure in the second part (post season) does not make you special. Do you know we have the best week 5 record of any NFL team over the past 14 years? Yeah, really impressive.

Make that regular season success. We sucked in the playoffs over the past decade. It must be hard for you to understand NFL success is measured by the bottom line and an NFL season goes regular season and playoffs. To have success in one part (regular season) and utter failure in the second part (post season) does not make you special. Do you know we have the best week 5 record of any NFL team over the past 14 years? Yeah, really impressive.

It takes talent to win over an entire season...anyone can win a single game on a single night. Winning in the playoffs are important, but lack there of to a degree does not deminish what you accomplish over an entire season. Are you saying the best team in teh NFL always wins the SB?

I hear you. However, one might argue that the fact that we didn't have a Dario Francitti type back up to put in is part of the problem though. We have had Peyton for over a decade. You would think that the front office would have made provisions to have a decent quality back-up for him in all that time. I know Peyton was an iron man up until this year, but still it wasn't exactly unthinkable that this scenario could happen. Especially after we watched it happen to the Pats with Tom Brady not too long ago. Difference is their team was better built overall and thus more equipped to survive the situation. We now find ourselves in the same predicament and can't seem to even be able to muster up 1 win. That is the byproduct of some poor planning. Overall our organization has managed to do alot of things right over the past decade but still some key areas where we have traditionally skimped on have caught up to bite us all in the rear this year.

How do you know if your backup is quality if he never sees any actual game action?

It's just one season. How do you think Bengal fan, Lion Fan, Texan Fan, Buffalo fan, Ram fan and some other teams fans who suffer through numerous losing seasons feel?

What do those teams and there long suffering fans have to do with me enjoying this seasons product. Nothing that's what. And there are very real reasons for this debacle of a season, and the big one is the lack of general planning and proper player evaluation, and coaching evaluation. Instead the front office got very comfortable letting Peyton take care of the mistakes of the past 4 or 5 years.

What do those teams and there long suffering fans have to do with me enjoying this seasons product. Nothing that's what. And there are very real reasons for this debacle of a season, and the big one is the lack of general planning and proper player evaluation, and coaching evaluation. Instead the front office got very comfortable letting Peyton take care of the mistakes of the past 4 or 5 years.

That one player though was the entire key to how this franchise was built and coached, now you can say that is a bad plan which many have, but if works, which it has and that one player takes a huge hit on your salary cap it does limit what else you can do.

That one player though was the entire key to how this franchise was built and coached, now you can say that is a bad plan which many have, but if works, which it has and that one player takes a huge hit on your salary cap it does limit what else you can do.

The things Polian actually can control, things outside of injury, or the bounce of a ball on game day are not making him look good right now, granted losing does that, but serious, why shouldn't the front office and be held to account on some decisions that don't appear to wise right now. These people know that past success doesn't mean future success, but in Indy with a healthy Peyton we get these mid level teams and when we lose in the wildcard for many years or even a mundane mid season game we go and read Polian's reasoning and it always reads something like, " We gave up some big plays, but those, as I say, were technique issues which can be cleaned up. One was a bad break. The long pass was a very bad break. We had three guys on the ball and we didn’t get it. When that happens the other team is good, and they’re very good. The downside of that is they’ve (the defense) been on the field far too often, far too often – more than 100 plays or close to 100 more plays than the offense. We have to do a much better job of controlling the football, otherwise we’ll get our defensive guys punched out as hard as they play. They did play awfully hard yesterday, and they have every week. Offensively, we had a very bad day."

How can he run around and pretend like he has no part of the management of this squad?!

So what team has gone from the dream decade to 0-9 on it's way to 0-16 in one year? Other than the Colts, that is. This is NOT acceptable.

Why? What is so horrible about going 0- and whatever for 1 season? does that mean the colts can never qualify again for the playoffs or the SB? Does it mean we get moved down to teh "D" league (soccer reference) or worse yet we won't get anymore Monday night or special TV games? I mean really what is the big deal?

Why? What is so horrible about going 0- and whatever for 1 season? does that mean the colts can never qualify again for the playoffs or the SB? Does it mean we get moved down to teh "D" league (soccer reference) or worse yet we won't get anymore Monday night or special TV games? I mean really what is the big deal?

People don't forget 0-16, they forget 1-15 every year. I guess pride is the answer your looking for.

The things Polian actually can control, things outside of injury, or the bounce of a ball on game day are not making him look good right now, granted losing does that, but serious, why shouldn't the front office and be held to account on some decisions that don't appear to wise right now. These people know that past success doesn't mean future success, but in Indy with a healthy Peyton we get these mid level teams and when we lose in the wildcard for many years or even a mundane mid season game we go and read Polian's reasoning and it always reads something like, " We gave up some big plays, but those, as I say, were technique issues which can be cleaned up. One was a bad break. The long pass was a very bad break. We had three guys on the ball and we didn’t get it. When that happens the other team is good, and they’re very good. The downside of that is they’ve (the defense) been on the field far too often, far too often – more than 100 plays or close to 100 more plays than the offense. We have to do a much better job of controlling the football, otherwise we’ll get our defensive guys punched out as hard as they play. They did play awfully hard yesterday, and they have every week. Offensively, we had a very bad day."

How can he run around and pretend like he has no part of the management of this squad?!

I guess I don't care what he says in public or in print. I look at the finished product and we have been winning and that is all that matters, and I don't care "how" we won, just that we won. And Yes I value the regular season wins as important and am not one who gets all huffy puffy over the post season.

People don't forget 0-16, they forget 1-15 every year. I guess pride is the answer your looking for.

Really...are people still pointing at the Lions this season and saying something? Does anyone even remember the Bucs losing their first 20+ games before winning? No they don't. I guess if given the following choice I would take choice B

A: Your team over a decade wins per season are 6-8, you might make the playoffs one season but you usually are done come Jan and your team in just not very competitive over that decade

or

B: You put together a decade of winning games, division titles, conference titles, you are in 20 plus playoff games over that decade, you have 2 SB appearances and 1 win and you have to suffere through 1 season of 0 and 16 or 1 and 15.

Edited by dn4192

Really...are people still pointing at the Lions this season and saying something? Does anyone even remember the Bucs losing their first 20+ games before winning? No they don't...

Yes, the Lions will always be remembered for the post Barry Sanders downfall, even if and when they achieve some success. The Bucs had to completely re-brand because of how bad they were. So.. yes they do. If your content with this season, than fine, but your fighting an uphill battle trying to tell people that being critical of this is some how an underhanded attempt to somehow subvert your idea of fan hood.

Really...are people still pointing at the Lions this season and saying something? Does anyone even remember the Bucs losing their first 20+ games before winning? No they don't. I guess if given the following choice I would take choice B

A: Your team over a decade wins per season are 6-8, you might make the playoffs one season but you usually are done come Jan and your team in just not very competitive over that decade

or

B: You put together a decade of winning games, division titles, conference titles, you are in 20 plus playoff games over that decade, you have 2 SB appearances and 1 win and you have to suffere through 1 season of 0 and 16 or 1 and 15.

two things wrong with this

one you are assuming that from here on we will return to a 12 win super bowl contending team

two even as a 12 win team we have gone through a lot of one and dones

So according to DN, we play for regular season wins, apparently that little thing called a "Super Bowl" is superfluous. As long as we win in the regular season, it doesn't matter if we go one and done? Man, have my priorities been screwed up. Thanks DN, for showing me the light.... :wall:

The reason, my friend, that we are up in arms about this season, is that it's not simply one bad season as you seem to like to think. This season has been at least three seasons in the making, but blind folks like yourself refuse to see that. We will not be back to a playoff team next year unless core changes in the front office and coaching are made, period. Peyton Manning is no longer sufficient to carry this train wreck.

Edited by sfergson727

So according to DN, we play for regular season wins, apparently that little thing called a "Super Bowl" is superfluous. As long as we win in the regular season, it doesn't matter if we go one and done? Man, have my priorities been screwed up. Thanks DN, for showing me the light.... :wall:

The reason, my friend, that we are up in arms about this season, is that it's not simply one bad season as you seem to like to think. This season has been at least three seasons in the making, but blind folks like yourself refuse to see that. We will not be back to a playoff team next year unless core changes in the front office and coaching are made, period. Peyton Manning is no longer sufficient to carry this train wreck.

Can you tell me that every team that has won the superbowl was the best overall team of that season? Were the Packers the best team overall last year because they won it? Now if say the NFL changed up it's format and that there were not wild cards and such and no playoffs, but just the best team from the AFC record wise in teh regular season and the best team from the NFC record wise from the regular season, then I might put more value in the Superbowl, but when a team can back into the playoffs with a 10-6 record and then get's hot, no I value what a team does over a 16 game schedule over what happens in the playoffs.

Can you tell me that every team that has won the superbowl was the best overall team of that season? Were the Packers the best team overall last year because they won it? Now if say the NFL changed up it's format and that there were not wild cards and such and no playoffs, but just the best team from the AFC record wise in teh regular season and the best team from the NFC record wise from the regular season, then I might put more value in the Superbowl, but when a team can back into the playoffs with a 10-6 record and then get's hot, no I value what a team does over a 16 game schedule over what happens in the playoffs.

You don't let your kids keep score when they play sports, do you?

How do you know that the team that backed in didn't have a much tougher schedule than the one that went 14-2?

Edited by sfergson727

You don't let your kids keep score when they play sports, do you?

How do you know that the team that backed in didn't have a much tougher schedule than the one that went 14-2?

You can only play who you are scheduled to play. Plus there is a huge difference between 14-2 and 10-6 and backing in. Also do you believe the best team in that season always wins the SB?

Each team has to overcome adversity to make it to the superbowl and win. Even teams that would seem to be shoe in's get there and lose. So yes, I do think the best overall team does win the superbowl each year. There's more to a team's character than just wins and losses, which makes this season for the Colts all the more tragic. This team has lost it's character.

The best teams play the best when it matters the most. We have failed for the most part in this equation. All the teams step up their intensity big time in the playoffs so I put a lot more stock in the playoffs thank you. We are not built for the playoffs and that falls right back on Polian. We have had the same weaknesses for a decade that prevented us from winning consistently in the playoffs. How does that not fall back on Polian?