Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Robinson made a giant leap up board yesterday

I know we don't need a WR in this draft, and I hope we don't pick one in the second round. But if Robinson did happen to drop to our spot in the 2nd round, we would have to look at him now. He improved his numbers a great deal from the combine. How much is from the 12 pound weigh loss I don't know. I would prefer a guy who is 6'3" to be 220 lbs. instead of 208 lbs. Regardless his numbers yesterday as reported from CBS sportline were:

With a 4.47 time in the 40, 42-inch vertical and 6.53 three-cone at State College, Robinson vastly improved his athletic results from Indy: 4.60, 39-inch vertical, 7.00 three-cone. He also added four inches to his broad jump (131 inches Tuesday).

As I said I know we don't need a WR, but I look at the progress of WR Alshon Jeffrey from Chicago last year, and see what a tall, physical, and athletic WR can do in red zone, and I think it would be nice to have someone like that. Who knows if Robinson, Montcrief, etc. will ever be, still I can always be hoping for one. Who knows, Rogers has the potential athletically and physically to be that kind of player. These are the kind of players though who are steals in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This is such an incredible deep class at WR!

I know we don't need a WR in this draft, and I hope we don't pick one in the second round. But if Robinson did happen to drop to our spot in the 2nd round, we would have to look at him now. He improved his numbers a great deal from the combine. How much is from the 12 pound weigh loss I don't know. I would prefer a guy who is 6'3" to be 220 lbs. instead of 208 lbs. Regardless his numbers yesterday as reported from CBS sportline were:

With a 4.47 time in the 40, 42-inch vertical and 6.53 three-cone at State College, Robinson vastly improved his athletic results from Indy: 4.60, 39-inch vertical, 7.00 three-cone. He also added four inches to his broad jump (131 inches Tuesday).

As I said I know we don't need a WR, but I look at the progress of WR Alshon Jeffrey from Chicago last year, and see what a tall, physical, and athletic WR can do in red zone, and I think it would be nice to have someone like that. Who knows if Robinson, Montcrief, etc. will ever be, still I can always be hoping for one. Who knows, Rogers has the potential athletically and physically to be that kind of player. These are the kind of players though who are steals in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. This is such an incredible deep class at WR!

I assume you mean Allen Robinson?

Frank Robinson was at a baseball game....

I think Allen Robinson is going to be a tough NFL player with that size....I loved him at State Pen....I mean Penn State.  :)

Kevlin Benjamin looks like a monster. I wish we could get him

He will be gone in the final picks of round 1.

He needs to lose some weight to play WR and work on his routes.  He also is too big NOT to get off of the line of scrimmage against press coverage..gotta toughen up.  May end up at a TE position if he cannot control his weight.

Still not opposed to a WR in the second,but I've really warmed up to some of the safeties and cornerbacks who will probably be available at our first pick. I have zero clue what's going on in the minds of our front office, but my gut tells me we won't be adding a WR early. Between Wayne, Nicks, Hilton, Brazill, Whalen, and Rogers we've got a pretty good looking group on paper. Our DBs however, have a much more sketchy look, depth wise.

He will be gone in the final picks of round 1.

He needs to lose some weight to play WR and work on his routes.  He also is too big NOT to get off of the line of scrimmage against press coverage..gotta toughen up.  May end up at a TE position if he cannot control his weight.

yea I know

Kevlin Benjamin looks like a monster. I wish we could get him

I just read in the last few days that Benjamin is scaring some teams off.

His weight, 240 pounds,  is just way too much for some teams.    Way too big.     

In the article, Benjamin admitted he's probably too big and that teams would prefer him in the 225 range.

Not sure how much of a hit he'll take for this....   it only takes one team to love you....

So, at this point, I still see him as a first rounder,  but it wouldn't surprise me if he falls to the 2nd.   But not all the way to 59.

I like Allen Robinson a lot. upto FA, He was literally my 2nd round pick in very mock draft. I thought he could be a very good WR opposite Reggie.

I was sort of hoping we didn't sign Nicks just so we could draft Robinson- he is that good. Right now, I would like to take him- provided the likes of Jimmie Ward or Marcus Smith are taken or have fallen.

If you ran at the combine the 40 times from pro days are meaningless

I don't know why you'd think that?

If that was the case, then almost no one would work out at pro days.   

If you can improve your times at the pro days -- depending on how much -- then teams will note the improvement.   And not just the 40...   but the cone drills and the VJ and BJ as well.  

If you do better,  the NFL will notice.

I think the best thing about Robinson's improvement is that it may put him in the top 50....  

The more players the Colts don't want who are in the top 50, the more players the Colts DO want will be pushed down to us.   At least,  that's my hope.

Every time a team picking in front of us takes a player the Colts don't want I'm going to be very, very happy.

I don't know why you'd think that?

If that was the case, then almost no one would work out at pro days.   

If you can improve your times at the pro days -- depending on how much -- then teams will note the improvement.   And not just the 40...   but the cone drills and the VJ and BJ as well.  

If you do better,  the NFL will notice.

Everyone magically runs better when it's hand timed....shocking lol. I would take it with a grain of salt if a player improved his 40 time.

Everyone magically runs better when it's hand timed....shocking lol. I would take it with a grain of salt if a player improved his 40 time.

On the idea that everyone magically runs better when it's hand timed...  on that we absolutely agree 100%.

So, for me the question becomes,  how much faster are they running?    The scouts are there with their watches.   Everyone knows what the kids did at the combine.    So, you can make adjustments based on that. 

Believe me -- I hear you loud and clear on the difference between electronic timing and hand times!

Also,  I think it's important to note the jumps as well...   I'm reading more and more articles about how scouts are gauging the importance of the jumps showing an athletes explosiveness.  

Sometimes,  kids are doing much better at their school.   Not sure how the home-field advantage would help an athlete on those jumps....     but maybe it's just the familiarity of the facility, but kids often do better on their pro days....   go figure...

I think on balance we agree...   I think what we disagree on is just the amount of salt we're factoring in with you perhaps a little more than me....   but I don't know that it's a lot....

Just thinking out loud here....