Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hypothetically ....

Can'tStandYa

So are you saying you would take Joe Thomas over Calvin Johnson?

I would. No point in having an elite WR if you can't get the ball to him in one piece

If I'm a QB, I'll take Thomas. Cause at the end of the day, if I get molly whopped cause my line can't block..... me & megatron & the front office getting into a scuffle for choosing to give me weapons over protection

Please tell me you're being sarcastic.

Well most if not all of them do get moved around at practices/Training camps ect. different combinations to gain continuity amongst each other as well as to see who is the best and where

Well most if not all of them do get moved around at practices/Training camps ect. different combinations to gain continuity amongst each other as well as to see who is the best and where

This I can dig but realistically a C isn't going to be playing LT anytime soon. If if was that easy to chop and change you wouldn't have such a difference in remuneration between the positions on the line.

This I can dig but realistically a C isn't going to be playing LT anytime soon. If if was that easy to chop and change you wouldn't have such a difference in remuneration between the positions on the line.

No but for example a Center might move over to 1 of the Guard spots or even a LG may be able to move to RT or even LT depending on the situation and who they are (Jonathan Cooper for example who plays for the Cardinals, Going to be a great Guard if he comes back healthy, very good footwork, agile, strong, can play LT in a pinch)

No but for example a Center might move over to 1 of the Guard spots or even a LG may be able to move to RT or even LT depending on the situation and who they are (Jonathan Cooper for example who plays for the Cardinals, Going to be a great Guard if he comes back healthy, very good footwork, agile, strong, can play LT in a pinch)

All understood Gavin but there's a difference between playing in a pinch and a long term solution.

Nix has not been considered a good team chemistry type guy in the past.

I see where you are coming from now. Always thought issues were more with FA than mixing up locker room. That was a common theme with many Giants players. I think it'll be fine but obviously you're intitled to have that concern.

Nominal is a very abstract term.

I'm not so worried about the sacks and hits as I am about the hurries. Throws off the rhythm of a passing game, and if our QB wasn't so capable of getting away, it would be a much bigger issue. 

We also slide protection to the left to help the blindside pass blocking, so it could technically be worse.

I'm not ragging on AC, I like him. But there's a difference between him and the really good left tackles, and I wouldn't call it "nominal."

You`re saying a 14 play difference in - sacks (+2), hits (-1), and hurries (+13) with Castonzo vs Thomas isn't nominal? That's less than 1 play per game difference in getting to the QB by a defensive player in usually no less than 40 QB drop backs. Not sure can agree Supe

Well I would love to have that kind of production from Nicks, but I don't think he will scratch those kind of numbers.

I think Nicks will walk after this season unless we do really well and he sticks around to reap the rewards of playing for Luck. 

So resign Castonzo because he and Cherlius are the only 2 solid guys on the line, at the moment. 

You`re saying a 14 play difference in - sacks (+2), hits (-1), and hurries (+13) with Castonzo vs Thomas isn't nominal? That's less than 1 play per game difference in getting to the QB by a defensive player in usually no less than 40 QB drop backs. Not sure can agree Supe

Those stats don't tell the whole story. The difference between an above average LT like AC and a below average LT like Matt Kalil is 0 sacks, +4 hits, -6 hurries. But AC was much better than Kalil last year, per PFF.

But even if those stats were the whole story, one play per game is significant for a pass blocker, especially a LT.

Those stats don't tell the whole story. The difference between an above average LT like AC and a below average LT like Matt Kalil is 0 sacks, +4 hits, -6 hurries. But AC was much better than Kalil last year, per PFF.

But even if those stats were the whole story, one play per game is significant for a pass blocker, especially a LT.

How would you grade (A-F) Castonzo as a run blocker then?

How would you grade (A-F) Castonzo as a run blocker then?

He's our best run blocker, easily. I'd give him a B+. Problem that presents is that you usually put your best interior run blocker at RG, so we're putting a questionable guard next to AC, and that guard has been next to a terrible center the past two years. 

And as a pass blocker, a C+. He's usually very good in protection, but when he does get beat, it's bad.

He's our best run blocker, easily. I'd give him a B+. Problem that presents is that you usually put your best interior run blocker at RG, so we're putting a questionable guard next to AC, and that guard has been next to a terrible center the past two years. 

And as a pass blocker, a C+. He's usually very good in protection, but when he does get beat, it's bad.

Thank you for the analysis, hopefully the FO can get those OG positions locked down this offseason