Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson is a Genius

Dark Superman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

\m/COLTS\m/ <<<<------not a genius! You are making my brain hurt!!!!!!

On a serious note.......in my profession I sometimes help people with varying forms of autism, and have received training on the different types and how to help. I found it very interesting to learn that Albert Einstein, a without a doubt genius, was said to have had a mild from of autism or Asperger's syndrome.

I like this Einstein-fellow. :)

I hope you're right and we're clear with Gordy, but I haven't heard otherwise definitively yet.  Also, some sites (like- http://www.gbnreport.com/trades.htm ) still have us losing an undisclosed pick, and even maybe getting one for Caesar Rayford?  Hmmm....  I need to find more reliable draft sites for nfo.  LOL

We do get a 7 for Rayford....   but it's for next year's draft -- 2015,  not this year.

I try to stay up on this, but the Colts don't give up this info until very late in the process,  so we might not know for sure until sometime in April.

But in the last few weeks, the stories they write all say we have picks in rounds  2/3/5/6/7.

There's a good reason he thinks that....    Bill Polian IS smarter than most everyone else.    Smarter than most of the GM's who are wheeling and dealing today....

Look.....  I've defended Polian plenty around here.   But I've always said his time had come.   He had worn out his welcome and it was time for a fresh start.    Everyone has a shelf-life and Bill's had expired.    There needed to be a new voice,  a new direction.

Nobody is right 100% of the time -- not even Polian.    But when he's wrong,  that doesn't mean he's a senile old fool.   It means he's wrong on that given issue or topic.    Don't kid yourself,  Bill could run a franchise right now and do very well.

He's forgotten more about running a franchise than all of us on this forum combined!

We may not agree with him.....  but he's got the resume' to back-up whatever he says.....

I find it telling, though, that the poster who defends him the most is the one who didn't actually live through it.  :) 

We do get a 7 for Rayford....   but it's for next year's draft -- 2015,  not this year.

I try to stay up on this, but the Colts don't give up this info until very late in the process,  so we might not know for sure until sometime in April.

But in the last few weeks, the stories they write all say we have picks in rounds  2/3/5/6/7.

Only thing I can think of is what you surmised, we lost our #7 to Rams for Gordy, and we got Raven's #7 for Shipley.  Nothing else fits... yet.

Well, all I can say is he keeps swinging. 2 one year deals with Avery and DHB, and Grigson continues to rent 1 year options. I really hope this one works out for the sake of the Colts. He keeps trying and seems like the diametric opposite of Polian when it comes to free agency.

The 2nd round pick for Vontae Davis came with expectations and Vontae Davis met or surpassed it (occasionally). The 1st round pick for Trent Richardson comes with even higher expectations, and let us see how it plays out.

I would prefer he piles up some draft picks for future years because the draft is going to be key moving forward once the cap room dwindles with more and more free agents to re-sign (Castanzo, Luck, T.Y. etc.)

He is shrewd but I wouldn't call him an outstanding GM too soon. Lets talk the year after Luck is signed to his big contract and see where the team is then. How he manages things between now and then will be key to his GM legacy.

Yes, it's a mixed bag, to date, but generally I'm fine with the way he operates, philosophically.  You can miss on draft picks just as easily as you can miss on trades and free agent signings.  Whatever type of acquistion it is, you just need to hit on it.  He needs a higher hit rate on every type of move, and I have a feeling he'll get it with some of the recent acquisitions.   That said, I highly doubt we'll ever see another Richardson-type trade. 

I find it telling, though, that the poster who defends him the most is the one who didn't actually live through it.  :)

I don't know that I defend him the most.    I see others who defend him.    But at some point I'm sure it gets exhausting, so perhaps the others grow tired and stop.    Dunno?

I defend as someone who has followed football for nearly 50 years.   I try to take a long view of history.   I try to be detached,  analytical.

I think it's hard to beat up on someone who is the 6-time winner of the NFL executive of the year award.   I'm not kidding when I say it's quite possible that the award will be named after Polian someday.    The man is literally a living legend among his peers.

I'd probably feel more like most Colts fans if I had to live through his era.   I'd appreciate what he did, but realize it was time for a change.   And with Manning's injury, the timing was right for a complete overhaul.    I credit Irsay for that.   Not easy to cut both Manning and Irsay in the same off-season.    Not a lot of NFL owners would have the guts to do that.   Irsay did.

I'm glad Polian had a great long run with Indy.   But the time had come........

I don't know that I defend him the most.    I see others who defend him.    But at some point I'm sure it gets exhausting, so perhaps the others grow tired and stop.    Dunno?

I defend as someone who has followed football for nearly 50 years.   I try to take a long view of history.   I try to be detached,  analytical.

I think it's hard to beat up on someone who is the 6-time winner of the NFL executive of the year award.   I'm not kidding when I say it's quite possible that the award will be named after Polian someday.    The man is literally a living legend among his peers.

I'd probably feel more like most Colts fans if I had to live through his era.   I'd appreciate what he did, but realize it was time for a change.   And with Manning's injury, the timing was right for a complete overhaul.    I credit Irsay for that.   Not easy to cut both Manning and Irsay in the same off-season.    Not a lot of NFL owners would have the guts to do that.   Irsay did.

I'm glad Polian had a great long run with Indy.   But the time had come........

I'm just teasing you, man.  To me, Polian is Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot and Mao rolled up into one, but I realize others might see it differently.  :)

If we get Mack, you'll be way more than just happy!

Anyone whose handle is....   "Need an oline" will be ecstatic if we get Mack!    You'll be popping champagne bottles!

(and I will be too!)

Way too much money to pay for any center in my opinion. I think you have your centers on the roster now. Prepare to live with it.

Way too much money to pay for any center in my opinion. I think you have your centers on the roster now. Prepare to live with it.

You may be right.....   but I certainly hope you're wrong.

And you're not the only person here who thinks we're done and out of the Mack-hunt.    So,  who knows.

But I'm holding out hope until it's announced Mack has re-signed with Cleveland.

Albert Einstein was a genius. Stephen Hawking is a genius. 

Ryan Grigson is a good NFL general manager.

Yeah but they would have sucked at football the genius of football is Peyton Manning  .

When Ryan Grigson's Indy Colts bring home a Lombardi it will be because he's much better than good as is the team he has built ..

Yeah but they would have sucked at football the genius of football is Peyton Manning  .

When Ryan Grigson's Indy Colts bring home a Lombardi it will be because he's much better than good as is the team he has built ..

I agree with the Manning part. The delicacy of the quarterback situation is unique to all of sports which is what got me interested in the first place. Peyton Manning is the reason I ended up with the Colts.

In terms of the second part, I'll ask you this:

It seems your logic is this: Ryan Grigson is the GM of the Colts -> The GM picks the team and coaches -> The team plays the matches -> Whoever fields the best team given the format of the NFL eventually wins the Super Bowl -> Seeing as Ryan Grigson's job is to pick the team, he's ultimately the explanation for the success of the Colts if and when we win the Super Bowl.

If the above seem flawless to you, I'd strongly urge you to reassess your views on the use of logic.