Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's your opinion on drafting WR w/the 1st pick?

JoKeR

WE DO NOT NEED WR HELP. WE HAVE TO LET PPL DEVELOP.... griff looked good, brazill showed flashes, Da'rick showed he can be a number 1 eventually, dwayne allen is coming back and reggie wayne/ Our offence will be perfectly fine ... the game will slow down for Da'Rick, he'll learn the playbook fully and it'll show on the field this year. We need a Center, cornerback (SJB or Keither McGill), DE/DT (pass rushing ability) ...

WE DO NOT NEED WR HELP. WE HAVE TO LET PPL DEVELOP.... griff looked good, brazill showed flashes, Da'rick showed he can be a number 1 eventually, dwayne allen is coming back and reggie wayne/ Our offence will be perfectly fine ... the game will slow down for Da'Rick, he'll learn the playbook fully and it'll show on the field this year. We need a Center, cornerback (SJB or Keither McGill), DE/DT (pass rushing ability) ...

You have to be kidding. What about Rodgers showed he can ever be a number one. Brazill might be OK, Griff was a practice squad player. The Colts need a receiver and Dwayne Allen is not a WR. Wayne is very old and coming off of a serious injury.

How about we just take the best player available regardless of position?

well there are a few positions you can rule out, (QB, TE, RB, K/P) but yeah...

BPA is sort of one of those 'cliche' sayings, it's more like best player available "in a position of need"...

I like thinking about it like this - if the Colts truly address C & FS in FA, then it "OPENS the DRAFT UP" for the Colts to draft the best players to build depth & starters for the future, and not relying on the draft to fill a glaring deficiency...

BPA is sort of one of those 'cliche' sayings, it's more like best player available "in a position of need"...

I like thinking about it like this - if the Colts truly address C & FS in FA, then it "OPENS the DRAFT UP" for the Colts to draft the best players to build depth & starters for the future, and not relying on the draft to fill a glaring deficiency...

First, no K/P is ever the best player available. I would not rule out QB, TE, or RB either if the best player was one of those. If the Colts had taken this approach, they would never have drafted Werner. You can always make room for a good player at any positing other than K/P. If you got a young QB you liked, our backup could be traded, he has some value. This is what NE tends to do. They took Mallett to be their backup and now he has great trade value if they decide not to keep him.

I like thinking about it like this - if the Colts truly address C & FS in FA, then it "OPENS the DRAFT UP" for the Colts to draft the best players to build depth moving forward, and not relying on the draft to fill a glaring deficiency...

I think if we get a center in FA and a couple more FA's,Then go after the Best player available in the draft which maybe at wide receiver  or not,,,,,,,,,,,,,We have to be smart in the draft and in FA.........We have many contracts coming up next year and the year after we don't want to mess up the future about signing our own players and f=getting FA's like we did when we had 5 huge contracts in the past Peyton ,Harrison, Clark ,Freeney etc,,,,,,,,,,That was pathetic we couldn't move in FA which hindered us at getting that 1 or 2 FA's who could of put us over the top those year's,,,,,,,,,,,,Polin screwed us w/ his bad drafting in his later year's as a GM,,,,,,,,,,,and locking us in those huge contracts,,,,,,,,,,,,Randy Moss put the NE Pats over the top that year they lost to the NYG in the Superbowl..........In fact he was the reason they beat us in a game that year he caught a game savig TD after we were in the lead and were going to win.....................I think we should of signed Talib also this FA period he is the best or 2nd best in the NFL.............But maybe Grigson thinks we can get by w/just ok guys at certain positions,,,,,,,,,,,,,But we can't.................And I am expecting B. Werner to have a big season he is on the verge I believe!!!!!!!!!!!

First, no K/P is ever the best player available. I would not rule out QB, TE, or RB either if the best player was one of those. If the Colts had taken this approach, they would never have drafted Werner. You can always make room for a good player at any positing other than K/P. If you got a young QB you liked, our backup could be traded, he has some value. This is what NE tends to do. They took Mallett to be their backup and now he has great trade value if they decide not to keep him.

ehhh...

Werner was rated high on several boards, & by several of the "draft" experts, so not sure why so many people have this opinion...

I think some people have selective memory, just because the guy didn't come in and put up massive stats, critical fans fall back to this type of rhetoric...

ehhh...

Werner was rated high on several boards, & by several of the "draft" experts, so not sure why so many people have this opinion...

I think some people have selective memory, just because the guy didn't come in and put up massive stats, critical fans fall back to this type of rhetoric...

I fault the front office for taking a project on the first round. He had to adapt to playing in a 3-4 and he really isn't made for it. I don't mind projects from the fourth round on down but not in the early rounds. Massive stats? How about anything approaching mediocre?

I fault the front office for taking a project on the first round. He had to adapt to playing in a 3-4 and he really isn't made for it. I don't mind projects from the fourth round on down but not in the early rounds. Massive stats? How about anything approaching mediocre?

by the tone of most of your posts, you seem to find fault in a lot, Grigs & Pagano took a 2-14 team and turned it around to a 11-5 team with a playoff appearance in it's first year, then a 11-5 team with a division win & a playoff win in it's second year...

That would seem like progress to me, so until it is proven broken, my glass will remain half full...

the jury is still out on Werner, so I will remain optimistic...

I think we are being set up for a 2 year run at the SB. A WR with a higher upside than Griff or Brazill though a Solid idea, he has a good chance of not being as good as what we have in yr one and a ? for year two, considering ALL the weapons we have.

For where we are drafting I DO like that Donte Moncrief guy. Yip! Him and Rogers and TY in 3 years might be NUTTS!!! :td:

A guy at Guard with a Very high upside, some consider Gabe Jackson such a guy, would be a possible choice or a DB would be tops on my list.

Then every rookie 3-4 OLB was pretty mediocre last year, doesn't help getting injured just when he seemed to be building some momentum. Oh lets not forget he was really adjusting to two positions as he was asked to play both OLB roles.

You don't like the FO, we get it, but do you have to hammer it home on everything! Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have drafted Luck.. Oh wait.

You have to be kidding. What about Rodgers showed he can ever be a number one. Brazill might be OK, Griff was a practice squad player. The Colts need a receiver and Dwayne Allen is not a WR. Wayne is very old and coming off of a serious injury.

Let me try Beau. Just for the sake of it. his physical tools are not in question as top Quality, Ol' Reggie said, I wish. ;-)

Whatever is/was in that young head may prevent him fron being "like Mike", Irvin that is, but is considered to be a good blocker, has VG hands, and so physical as to keep DB`s off him. Some of those routes he ran last year showed he has a lot to learn of course so don`t expect some great jump even after his 1st Colts off-season.

Notes i luv to share with Colts fans.

year #1 reggie

27 catches 345 yds ZERO TD`s with Peyton Manning. A 1st rd DPK with "the best hands in the draft" supposedly.

year #2 49 catches 716 yds 4 TD`s  NOT Impressive but GOOD. Reg turned out OK. :D  :D

DROG 5 games 14 catches 192 yards 2TD with another TD on a 5 yd run. Project that for 10 games and compare.

He caught a Memorable pass for about 10 or so yards, took it 69 yards for a TD and i don`t think Anyone was running him down.

He TAUGHT ANDREW you CAN throw the ball underneath and get Big Yards, you don`t Have To throw it 20-25 yards into Coverage All the Time to get chunks. Of course I Loved that.

Yes it is just a projection as to his Future abilities, and maybe he is no Dez Bryant, who took awhile himself, but he has some serious physical ability and should not be sold short. I would expect by the later part of his season 3 we are going to be Loving this guy. yada yada! Montori Hughes is going to be the ... :cheer:

now this Costa guy... camp fod trying to get as much up front $$$ he can. Probably having trouble getting $100,000 guaranteed.

Then every rookie 3-4 OLB was pretty mediocre last year, doesn't help getting injured just when he seemed to be building some momentum. Oh lets not forget he was really adjusting to two positions as he was asked to play both OLB roles.

You don't like the FO, we get it, but do you have to hammer it home on everything! Next you'll be saying we shouldn't have drafted Luck.. Oh wait.

I don't dislike the front office. I think they have done and are doing a great job. I only have two small problems with them. One is the trade for Richardson. Never give up a number one draft pick for any running back these days. The other is Werner. They drafted him as a project and they are trying to ram a square peg into a very round hole. You just don't do that with number one picks. Now if it had been fourth round or lower, get any project you see fit. I certainly think they should have drafted Luck and I have said so many times under the conditions of contest that were appropriate at that time. I have said that I think those conditions have been changed drastically by the CBA and the rookie scale and NOW there might be a better way to build a team but I am still watching to see if this hold true. I think Houston is the next great experiment in this direction and how they handle the number one pick will tell a great deal about what kind of NFL it is now.

I don't dislike the front office. I think they have done and are doing a great job. I only have two small problems with them. One is the trade for Richardson. Never give up a number one draft pick for any running back these days. The other is Werner. They drafted him as a project and they are trying to ram a square peg into a very round hole. You just don't do that with number one picks. Now if it had been fourth round or lower, get any project you see fit. I certainly think they should have drafted Luck and I have said so many times under the conditions of contest that were appropriate at that time. I have said that I think those conditions have been changed drastically by the CBA and the rookie scale and NOW there might be a better way to build a team but I am still watching to see if this hold true. I think Houston is the next great experiment in this direction and how they handle the number one pick will tell a great deal about what kind of NFL it is now.

Good response, I appreciate the civility shown, apologies it's just a tetchy time of year.

I have to agree with some of you, if a very good safety is available the Colts should take him before a WR. If they can sure up the C and SS positions I think they have an opportunity to get another WR, a dynamic 1, not just a WR that's good at 1 or 2 things, get someone that's more like Wayne or Hilton. They could just develop the WRs we have or they can truly prepare for Wayne's retirement. Keep in mind Reggie is coming off a significant injury.

Good response, I appreciate the civility shown, apologies it's just a tetchy time of year.

No problem. It probably seemed that way but there has been remarkable progress. I even admire the guts it took to make that trade for Richardson. It hasn't worked out but most of those moves are 50-50. I didn't like the trade of the second round pick for Davis either but now that they have him signed for a while, it was a brilliant move and I was wrong about it. The two moves were in the 50/50 range and that is what we scored so all is well. Now, Grigson, please don't trade any more draft picks!!  ;)

It always depends on who's available.  You don't want to pidgeon hole yourself into drafting on a position need basis.  That's how you over reach for draft picks.  Of course you don't always jsut want to say "BPA", because if it's a QB, well, that's obvious.  But it's more complex than just listing a couple of needs and drafting the best guy that fits into the need category.