Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's your opinion on drafting WR w/the 1st pick?

JoKeR

I've been thinking for a while we'll draft a WR in the 2nd. Just have a feeling we will. I hope we do actually. I want Moncrief bad, but would be happy if Mathews or Robinson fell. The fact that we had interest in Decker lets me know they want to add a wide out. I believe Rogers will be a really good WR, and a future of Hilton, Rogers, and Moncrief could be scary. However, there is still uncertainty centered around Da'Rick I'm sure. So I would be shocked if we didn't go WR in the 2nd.

Personally, I believe with the recent free agency period that we should be more worried about getting a decent offensive lineman. I think the OTs are decent, but I think a center and a guard would help us out the most. Our O-line sucked last year for the most part. I would say this is largly due to injuries if it weren't for the fact that the O-line had sucked for the two years before last. I believe between TY, Reggie, Rogers, and whoever else they can find in free agency will have to do for this year. If the Colts cannot fix the O-line they can look forward to some more of the horrific losses like they suffer in the 2013-2014 season (aka - St. Louis, Arizona, Cinci).

I still have our immediate needs in no particular order:

1.Center

2.Nose Tackle(No depth behind Chapman)

3.Safety

I'd address Center and NT in FA with:

1.Evan Dietrich Smith

2.Isaac Sopoaga

With depth upgrades needed almost everywhere....BPA in the draft

Very negative opinion about a 2nd round WR.  There are a number of holes on the Depth Chart, but WR isn't one of them.  Before we get a WR, we need two safeties, a CB, a NT, and an OG, just to provide minimal depth at those areas.  Plus, there's the logical argument that if you're not comfortable with the young, developing Brazill and Rogers playing key roles this year, why would you draft another developing WR in the 2nd?  We've spent two years developing Brazill and one developing Rogers...let them play!

If a WR is the BPA at our pick in the second they better take that player and run.  I do not want us reaching safety or lineman just to fill a need and pass on a more talented player.  

WR is a need because we have no clue what we are going to get from Reggie and the rest of the guys other than TY are unproven players.  We need a young guy to come in, learn under Reggie, and then in a year or two step in and be our number one or two guy.