Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ProFootball Focus article on top free agent 2014 Cornerbacks - which one from this list do you want the Colts to sign?

chad72

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agent-cornerbacks/

Which one from this list would you like the Colts to sign?

Captain Munnerlyn is definitely not getting the same attention, I feel. Will Blackmon and Trumain McBride are not shabby either. Whenever I saw Tarrell Brown of the 49ers play, I have always been impressed.

It is not the end of the world if you do not get Vontae Davis re-signed. Just pointing out some options.

Giants' pass rush in SB 42 and 46 made an above average secondary look very good. The Colts, I am betting, will focus on the DL pressure and we will come out on top, IMO.

Then, Ladarius Webb goes on IR and the Ravens win the SB, thanks to good pressure from Suggs, Kruger, Ngata and Arthur Jones/McPhee tandem in the rotation.

butler and toler can carry the load. its gordy im concerned with. is he ready to be entreached into the nickel position? will sheldon price step up into the dime?

I still think we can sign a CB or two in free agency and field a good unit.

I don't see them standing pat with what we have. Even if they did, I believe it would be Toler/Gordy outside with Butler in the slot. That is where Butler is best, and Gordy looked decent last year on the outside.

Wasn't Eric Wright a pretty good CB before he went off and dissappeared with the 49ers? I was also slightly impressed with Will Blackmon when we were playing the Jags. He was the one making the plays when Andrew was getting off to a bad start. 

I still think we can sign a CB or two in free agency and field a good unit.

there really isnt anyone special in the cb crop. just serviceable. honestly I think davis will take a tour around to see what he can get and decide that we're giving him just exactly what everyone else will and come back or some team will overpaid him like the raiders and hes gonna feel like a complete * for choosing a losing franchise for a couple extra millions.

butler and toler can carry the load. its gordy im concerned with. is he ready to be entreached into the nickel position? will sheldon price step up into the dime?

We would be wise to keep Butler in the nickel position. So as of now, Gordy is our other starter. We need a talented CB brought in if we cant bring back Davis. And we also need a true cover FS.

there really isnt anyone special in the cb crop. just serviceable. honestly I think davis will take a tour around to see what he can get and decide that we're giving him just exactly what everyone else will and come back or some team will overpaid him like the raiders and hes gonna feel like a complete * for choosing a losing franchise for a couple extra millions.

Serviceable works if you have great DL pressure, IMO. I really doubt the Seattle CBs, as good as they may be, would have held up for 4 to 5 seconds if they did not have Avril, Bennett and Clemons to rotate in as pass rushers to cut down the time Peyton had. Inside out, offense or defense, history has shown us it has always worked that way.

That is why I am not nearly as worried if we lose Vontae Davis, we can replace him with mid-tier CBs who can get the job done if we build our DL to pressure the QB like we are supposed to. I still think Davis bolts and goes for extra green. This may be the last big contract he ever gets, much like Garcon.

We would be wise to keep Butler in the nickel position. So as of now, Gordy is our other starter. We need a talented CB brought in if we cant bring back Davis. And we also need a true cover FS.

thats a common misconception. I think butler can play just as good on the outside

Serviceable works if you have great DL pressure, IMO. I really doubt the Seattle CBs, as good as they may be, would have held up for 4 to 5 seconds if they did not have Avril, Bennett and Clemons to rotate in as pass rushers to cut down the time Peyton had. Inside out, offense or defense, history has shown us it has always worked that way.

That is why I am not nearly as worried if we lose Vontae Davis, we can replace him with mid-tier CBs who can get the job done if we build our DL to pressure the QB like we are supposed to. I still think Davis bolts and goes for extra green. This may be the last big contract he ever gets, much like Garcon.

good point, but we dont have consistent pass rushers that get to the qb outside of mathis

He never got back to his form with the Jets last year.

Yes he did.

This is just misconception because nobody watched him because we was on the Bucs.

http://presnapreads.com/2014/02/26/darrelle-revis-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict-2014/

In 2013 Revis' stats were:

34 of 63 (54 completion%) 400 yards, 11.8 YPA, 8 plays on the ball

As opposed to Sherman:

30 of 58 (51.7%) 421 yards, 14.0 YPA, 13 plays on the ball.

Revis had the lowest yard/cover snap, reception/cover snap, and target/cover snap of every cornerback in the NFL. And this was a season when he was forced to play zone coverage instead of being utilized correctly in a press-man scheme. 

Yes he did.

This is just misconception because nobody watched him because we was on the Bucs.

http://presnapreads.com/2014/02/26/darrelle-revis-the-numbers-the-tape-the-verdict-2014/

In 2013 Revis' stats were:

34 of 63 (54 completion%) 400 yards, 11.8 YPA, 8 plays on the ball

As opposed to Sherman:

30 of 58 (51.7%) 421 yards, 14.0 YPA, 13 plays on the ball.

Revis had the lowest yard/cover snap, reception/cover snap, and target/cover snap of every cornerback in the NFL. And this was a season when he was forced to play zone coverage instead of being utilized correctly in a press-man scheme. 

Let me ask you though if the Colts are not willing to pay Davis who is younger and never had his knee reconstructed then why on earth would they go after the more expensive and older Revis who is a money hound??

Let me ask you though if the Colts are not willing to pay Davis who is younger and never had his knee reconstructed then why on earth would they go after the more expensive and older Revis who is a money hound??

Because he's better. And I never said the Colts would go after him. 

good point, but we dont have consistent pass rushers that get to the qb outside of mathis

I think Cam Johnson will have a bigger role to play. Werner will make the year 2 jump. Walden should be more comfortable in our system now too. Plus, with improved DL push with the signing of Arthur Jones, we might be a better pass rushing unit. I would not be shocked however if we sign a guy like Lamar Woodley to a 1 yr. "show me" kind of deal.

Sign Vontae already. Geesh. 

Gordy > Toler. 

Gordy plays as good or better than Toler and stays healthy and costs less. 

At this point, I'm moving towards the "we might do better with two mid-level FA's on cheaper contracts" frame of mind and looking for value.

Harris, Thurmond, and Cromartie might all bring good value for their respective salaries.

I was thinking the same thing.  If Vontae leaves and the Colts could sign Thurmond, Cromartie, or both for instance.