Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bill Polian: Colts Won't I.r Peyton Manning

theking213

Assosiated Press article about Bill Polian discussing the future of his hall of fame QB

The full article here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7175697/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-go-ir-practice

Some highlights:

On Manning playing this season

The Colts' vice chairman isn't completely ruling out a late cameo appearance by the four-time MVP this season, he's hoping Manning will be able to throw at the team's complex before the season ends.

"I think it's important for him to feel like, 'Hey I'm back, I can do the things that are necessary to say I can play like I want to,' " Polian said Monday night on his weekly radio show. "The bottom line is he needs to feel good about being back and doing the things he wants to do."

it's unlikely the Colts would play Manning in meaningless December games when they haven't played him much in previous Decembers after the Colts traditionally clinch their playoff seed.

"I'm not sure we would necessarily play him in ballgames with our offensive line as beaten up as it is right now," Polian said.

On Mannings future

At 0-8 and with the playoffs seemingly out of reach, there's one big reason to push Manning to practice -- finding out how close Indy's franchise quarterback is to 100 percent.

"That is much more important to us because we know he's not going to play six or seven more years," Polian said, reiterating that Manning is nearing the end of his career.

On drafting Andrew Luck

Polian also has declined to discuss taking Luck in the draft.

If they have the No. 1 draft pick, many believe they will take Andrew Luck as Manning's eventual successor.

(I bold and underline successor bc some seem to think us pro-Luck fans expect Andrew to come in and compete for the starting QB job while Manning is still here. And that Manning will be worried about his job

That's not going to happen. Manning is the starter until he retires. Why not try to secure the QB of the future when Peyton is gone?)

"I can't tell you now, at this point in time, who we would draft just like I couldn't tell you 14 years ago, in February," Polian said referring to the choice he had between Manning and Ryan Leaf.

"We didn't make the decision then till the second week of April, and we won't make this decision till the second week of April, so when you ask me what we are going to do, we haven't even begun the process yet. Our focus will be on the draft when it is appropriate to be on the draft."

Edited by theking213

Totally understandable. If, god forbid, Manning is never going to be the same again, we have an important decision to make when it comes time to decide on his option next year.

I mean, that HAS to be the reason that it's in there. It doesn't make sense otherwise. When the deal got done I believe that Polian and Irsay already knew that there was a chance, no matter how slim they might have thought it would be, that Manning would never be the same off of this injury, and they put the option in there to get out of the deal if that were the case.

So it just kinda goes without saying they wanna see Peyton do whatever he can this year to decide whether or not to exercise the option or not.

Totally understandable. If, god forbid, Manning is never going to be the same again, we have an important decision to make when it comes time to decide on his option next year.

I mean, that HAS to be the reason that it's in there. It doesn't make sense otherwise. When the deal got done I believe that Polian and Irsay already knew that there was a chance, no matter how slim they might have thought it would be, that Manning would never be the same off of this injury, and they put the option in there to get out of the deal if that were the case.

So it just kinda goes without saying they wanna see Peyton do whatever he can this year to decide whether or not to exercise the option or not.

Agreed. Reports said that it was Manning who insisted on the out clause and not Polian/Irsay. Never know how much truth there is to those reports though.

We cannot go into next season without knowing Manning can play and there's only one way to find that out...

You cant be worried about him being reinjured....because that can happen next September too..

We need to know now..

..as soon as he's cleared to play...put him in.,.

putting him in a game is ridiculous!!

he isn't a rookie that you have to judge by game conditions. his health is the only question, and that will be shown very easily in practice.

putting him in a game is ridiculous!!

he isn't a rookie that you have to judge by game conditions. his health is the only question, and that will be shown very easily in practice.

You dont not play able players...He returns as soon as he can

that's what players do...

You dont want to sitting around next August wondering if he's OK..

He has to return sometime...You want it to be an exhibition game next August..??

You need to know now.....He's not going to be 10 times better next year.

This is an injury where you're either OK or you're not...

If he's cleared..he plays....His decision..

Lets say Peyton gets cleared in early december by the doctors it is going to take him at least a few weeks to get back up to even some what play ability and even then we won't know what he can or can't do. I just don't see how we can get a good feel for what he can do this season.

Lets say Peyton gets cleared in early december by the doctors it is going to take him at least a few weeks to get back up to even some what play ability and even then we won't know what he can or can't do. I just don't see how we can get a good feel for what he can do this season.

That's the thing. Here we are in Nov and Peyton hasn't even been cleared to walk on a treadmill. People think this guy is going to go from not even being cleared to walk, to playing NFL football in a month. Crazy talk.

and so we dont go 0-16......

....we cant go 0-16..

Peyton coming back doesn't necessarily mean that we won't go 0-16. He would probably be very rusty given the offseason or lack thereof that he's had. Not to mention any lingering physical effects of his neck issues. Playing Peyton this year would be rushing him in my opinion.

Edited by Coltsman1788

of course polian wants peyton to come back after the bye week so we can go 6-0 and save him an caldwells job

Or it could be that 23 million dollar roster bonus that is looming in March. You got to see what he can do if he has been cleared 100% by the doctors. If he comes out there for the last four or five games and just does not physically have it anymore you go to know so you can decide what to do. If he is put on IR you are not going to see him physically preform until after giving him 23 million dollars and you are all ready in the OTAs. Its a little late to see him throwing ducks and not having the accuracy.

Now of course that could potential screw us out of the first pick if he is back to normal and wins us those last four to five games.

well if whens he going to start working out again, i mean in the gym... cant really say hes good to go if hes not physically ready, let alone the injury fully healed...

besides, the fact that he still has his brain with all that knowledge means they can run a wildcat, where he dumps it off to curtis to throw it... i hope that never happens just to be clear!

Practice is plenty to see if he's going to be 100% with accuracy and power. He doesn't have to play in a game to test that. When he thinks he's ready start having practice sessions where he throws 50 passes, see if he can still make all the throws and quick release is still there.

What im wondering is what happens if he can still throw but not as close to his old self as they hoped? Does Polian cross his fingers and hope its enough or does he draft a immediate replacement?

Practice is plenty to see if he's going to be 100% with accuracy and power. He doesn't have to play in a game to test that. When he thinks he's ready start having practice sessions where he throws 50 passes, see if he can still make all the throws and quick release is still there.

What im wondering is what happens if he can still throw but not as close to his old self as they hoped? Does Polian cross his fingers and hope its enough or does he draft a immediate replacement?

yeh, good point, but i think they would be asking themselves and peyton, if its just the fact hes been out for a while, hes definately not used to it, and how long will it take to get back to where he was, if its not a issue with something that will be permanent.

It was evident last year that after Peyton had his surgery and missed the preseason, he was not the same in the first four games. It took him a while to get back on track, and we were 6-6 at some point in the season.

By the time he's cleared to play, he will have missed about a year of football. He is not on IR so that he can be evaluated when he comes back to practice. I really doubt that he will play in any games this year.

The problem with this approach is that the cards are stacked against him. What are the odds that he looks good in parctice, and what are the odds that he looks bad? After taking a year off from football, and not having thrown to his receivers to establish timing, and rebuild armstrength, he will look extremely rusty. Of course they will monitor his progress through several weeks and months, but....

Wouldn't this cause the FO and coaches to lean towards drafting a certain rookie quarterback since they will see Peyton Manning at his worst?

I believe they really don't know what cards they will be dealt. But they do want them on the table ASAP to decide where to go as early as possible. They have a complete franchise to watch over. Peyton was a huge part it until his surgeries, and he could still be. But it is not a certainty he will fully recover, it is a hope. Likewise, it is also not a certainty Luck will be an Elite quarterback in the league. It too is a hope. Which way will the wind blow next spring?

That's the thing. Here we are in Nov and Peyton hasn't even been cleared to walk on a treadmill. People think this guy is going to go from not even being cleared to walk, to playing NFL football in a month. Crazy talk.

Exactly. I personally think talk from Irsay about Peyton is akin to dangling a carrot to the fans to give them hope or something to look forward to for this season.

NM..who said he hasnt been clead

That's a realisitic scenario, dn....

He is cleared in the first week of December...3 months after his surgery (which is what was stated at the time)

the Colts play at New England (12/4) and at Baltimore (12/11) and they'll be slaughtered...like a cow at the stock yards

..You have home games against Houston and Tennessee on the 18th and the 22nd ..

I see Peyton Manning playing those nights...

..especially if we are 0-13 heading into those games...

He's simply not going to sit there and watch us go 0-16...

..and you cant worry about being re-injured once the doctor says you're Okay..

Mark that date...Sunday, Dec, 18 against Tennessee..

Agreed. Reports said that it was Manning who insisted on the out clause and not Polian/Irsay. Never know how much truth there is to those reports though.

I take it at face value:

"The contract, I was the one that helped construct it in the manner that it is. It’s a one-year deal with a four-year extension, if you will. It was my recommendation, that I wasn’t healthy when I signed the contract and if I’m not healthy in February I think it’s fair for the Colts to be able to make their decision there."

LINK