Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl Weather

Andrew Luck's Beard

Wind is the thing you've really got to look out for... 

The Pats-Broncos game in November was played in really windy conditions (what with Belichick opting to kick in OT... giving up possession to have the wind advantage, pretty big deal). That was probably Manning's worst statistical game of the season. Not knocking him, but those super-accurate-but-slightly-wobbly passes don't cut through the wind all that well. 

The AFCCG was 60 degrees and a bluebird day, and he looked like 2004 Manning.

If I had a rooting interest for the Broncos I wouldn't be too concerned about cold, or even a little snow. But I'd be concerned if it's windy. 

If I recall correctly, the NFL said they may move the game to Saturday or Monday if the weather is really bad.  So far, it doesn't look like that would happen.  I'm hoping for a game where the elements don't impact the game.  Let both teams play to their potential

Yes,  I saw could be as early as Friday, or as late as Monday depending on the forecast......   Geez Louise..

I hope,  for the sake of everyone who has plane reservations, and Hotel reservations,  time off work, etc....  that it is played on Sunday as planned.     What a flippin' mess for everyone involved if it's not.  :facepalm:

If I recall correctly, the NFL said they may move the game to Saturday or Monday if the weather is really bad.  So far, it doesn't look like that would happen.  I'm hoping for a game where the elements don't impact the game.  Let both teams play to their potential

Yes,  I saw could be as early as Friday, or as late as Monday depending on the forecast......   Geez Louise..

I hope,  for the sake of everyone who has plane reservations, and Hotel reservations,  time off work, etc....  that it is played on Sunday as planned.     What a flippin' mess for everyone involved if it's not.   :facepalm:

Just the act of moving the game to an earlier day would constitute the elements impacting the game. Peyton is obviously all about preparation, so a deviation in the schedule would likely favor the Seahawks. Friday? They'll still be practicing on Friday!

Wind is the thing you've really got to look out for... 

The Pats-Broncos game in November was played in really windy conditions (what with Belichick opting to kick in OT... giving up possession to have the wind advantage, pretty big deal). That was probably Manning's worst statistical game of the season. Not knocking him, but those super-accurate-but-slightly-wobbly passes don't cut through the wind all that well. 

The AFCCG was 60 degrees and a bluebird day, and he looked like 2004 Manning.

If I had a rooting interest for the Broncos I wouldn't be too concerned about cold, or even a little snow. But I'd be concerned if it's windy. 

Absolutely, but Peyton started the year looking vastly stronger than last year as he'd worked on strength training and technique to throw with his entire body - like a smart pitcher. His passer rating through the first five games was something like 130. The degradation that you witnessed only came into play when his ankles got injured in game six against the Jags. It significantly impacted the losses to both the Patriots and the Colts at a minimum.

As an aside, you can't ignore age as a factor regardless. He wasn't quite right in their other loss - to the Chargers on a Thursday. Hardly a surprise considering the 59 pass attempts 4 days earlier and their reliance on preparation. He hadn't even been PRACTICING until Thursdays, that week they played a game.

He's still listed on the injury report for his ankles, but has looked a LOT better in recent weeks.In fact the forecast for the Charger playoff game included wind gusts in the 20's - the only difference being that they were across the field instead of end zone to end zone, and perhaps the sustained wind speed was lower. . I had significant trepidation prior to the game, but from the first series it was clear that it wasn't having a material impact.

So while you are correct, and for that and other reasons strong wind will favor the Seahawks, it may not have the impact that many expect. Lobs downfield may well be so inaccurate as to be useless for either QB, but if his ankles (and protection) are good enough for him to be able to step into his throws, most of their arsenal should still be there.

I hope,  for the sake of everyone who has plane reservations, and Hotel reservations,  time off work, etc....  that it is played on Sunday as planned.     What a flippin' mess for everyone involved if it's not.   :facepalm:

Part of me wants to see it moved just so the NFL realizes how poor of a decision that was.  With that said, I don't want to see any fans get the short end of the stick with their time off work and everything, like you said.  It's hard to get Super Bowl tickets and I'm sure every fan going is really excited for the game, so it's not right for the league to be able to change it so easily and affect so many people.  Could you imagine if you plan to leave for New York Friday after work only to hear the Super Bowl would be that night?  Just a bad decision by the league

Part of me wants to see it moved just so the NFL realizes how poor of a decision that was.  With that said, I don't want to see any fans get the short end of the stick with their time off work and everything, like you said.  It's hard to get Super Bowl tickets and I'm sure every fan going is really excited for the game, so it's not right for the league to be able to change it so easily and affect so many people.  Could you imagine if you plan to leave for New York Friday after work only to hear the Super Bowl would be that night?  Just a bad decision by the league

:agree:    Let's hope, no matter what the weather, or whatever the outcome,  the reality of potentially bad weather  is ENOUGH  for the Powers that Be,  to never plan such a potential fiasco again.

the 1st 10-day forecast for Feb. 2 in NY

between 25 and 35....light snow/rain mix at times........ugly..but playable

//The worry was blizzard conditions...and sub-zero pain....like we're having

There's a gale warning in East Rutherford right now.

We had pretty darn close to a blizzard on Tuesday, followed by a serious temperature dip that continues. There is a "snow squall" predicted for tomorrow, and another storm next week. Basically as I'm sure you know artic weather has once again dipped down from the north affecting huge areas of the country. The HIGH four days before the game will include a real feel of 7%.

In other words, we've been having an unseasonably cold winter, but they are forecasting that it will improve more or less just in time for the game. If that's accurate, then they'll have gotten lucky, but it's too early to have any confidence that they are correct. But either way it won't be soon enough to save out-of-town visitors from being uncomfortable for most of the preliminary nonsense the week before the game.

Why anyone would pay through the nose for the chance to stroll around outdoors here is beyond me. I'd go to lengths to AVOID doing exactly that. The entire concept remains profoundly stupid in my opinion and I hope they learn their lesson. I just don't want it to affect the Broncos adversely. If weather looks bad for the game, they had better delay it rather than move it up.

Deep South accents?

German accents?

What is that then?

:)

We setup a fake aura to deter visitors. In actuality, everyone here is trained as a Shakespearean actor starting in nursery school and speak as such. Visitors might want to consider taking a class in middle English if they plan on succeeding in ordering any food.

We had pretty darn close to a blizzard on Tuesday, followed by a serious temperature dip that continues. There is a "snow squall" predicted for tomorrow, and another storm next week. Basically as I'm sure you know artic weather has once again dipped down from the north affecting huge areas of the country. The HIGH four days before the game will include a real feel of 7%.

In other words, we've been having an unseasonably cold winter, but they are forecasting that it will improve more or less just in time for the game. If that's accurate, then they'll have gotten lucky, but it's too early to have any confidence that they are correct. But either way it won't be soon enough to save out-of-town visitors from being uncomfortable for most of the preliminary nonsense the week before the game.

Why anyone would pay through the nose for the chance to stroll around outdoors here is beyond me. I'd go to lengths to AVOID doing exactly that. The entire concept remains profoundly stupid in my opinion and I hope they learn their lesson. I just don't want it to affect the Broncos adversely. If weather looks bad for the game, they had better delay it rather than move it up.

Yes it has been unusually cold this winter. We have been in the single digits or teens a lot since Dec. I would think cold is more likely then snow but like you said storms have been popping up. We got one just a few days ago that dropped a foot.

Just the act of moving the game to an earlier day would constitute the elements impacting the game. Peyton is obviously all about preparation, so a deviation in the schedule would likely favor the Seahawks. Friday? They'll still be practicing on Friday!

& what about those Broncos that are hurt from last game ( moreno & urein both questionable  & DT Fua ,for depth and ST doubtful  )  or sick like Prater & , DNP & questionable as of now  

all could use the healing time

SEhawks rested some so didnt practice but all priobable

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/24/5342964/super-bowl-xlviii-injury-report-knowshon-moreno-matt-prater

cant argue with any of this, MAC

Lucy (above) has it right

The latest on East Rutherford from Weather.com:

2BFF21FE-9B9D-42FA-B67E-4C1E2A216C19_zps

And for those of you coming to Bergen County/NJ/NY for the SB, just a heads up: We don't have Jersey accents.

Even if this is accurate..the concern is the flake and the temp range..which is good for an ice storm.

..Of course if the game had been set in Chicago....its going to be 20-below Wednesday morning ..

Like JAF says (8 posts up) This 'cold weather Super Bowl' concept is an idea which should have been laughed out of the room as soon as it was suggested..

I do find it funny listening to people try to say how they hope for snow and bad weather because that is how "real football" is meant to be played. Football I've always thought of with that crisp fall weather...but that's just me. I would hope the Super Bowl would be played so that neither team would have an advantage from the field or conditions. That is why if I had my choice it would be played in the Rose Bowl every year....but that's just me. To me you would like to see both team able to play their style of game and see which one comes out on top...and not limit one side or another because of gale force winds or rain etc. But we know life isn't fair...you just have to roll with the punches and good luck to both sides for a clean game. I hope its well played and yes I hope Peyton can finish his season off...for a guy that has been through so much and put so much hard work and effort into it...you like to see him rewarded with a great finish.

thank you, dg..its not just you

This is the basketball season

Football originally was NEVER intended to be played in cold weather cities after Thanksgiving

....certainly not at night in February

Superbowl was played IN Dec way back when I think, at least NFL champ game was beforre SB

I do find it funny listening to people try to say how they hope for snow and bad weather because that is how "real football" is meant to be played. Football I've always thought of with that crisp fall weather...but that's just me. I would hope the Super Bowl would be played so that neither team would have an advantage from the field or conditions. That is why if I had my choice it would be played in the Rose Bowl every year....but that's just me. To me you would like to see both team able to play their style of game and see which one comes out on top...and not limit one side or another because of gale force winds or rain etc. But we know life isn't fair...you just have to roll with the punches and good luck to both sides for a clean game. I hope its well played and yes I hope Peyton can finish his season off...for a guy that has been through so much and put so much hard work and effort into it...you like to see him rewarded with a great finish.

agree

& I hope no one gets hurt on a wet slippery surface

thank you, dg..its not just you

This is the basketball season

Football originally was NEVER intended to be played in cold weather cities after Thanksgiving

....certainly not at night in February

Exactly. To me traditional "cold football weather" involves your Mom suggesting that you put on a heaver jacket "just in case" before going to the end of season high school rivalry game on Thanksgiving Day.  And you usually came home chilled to the bone - remembering the more comfortable September/October games fondly and wondering why the heck you bothered to sit outside for hours with the risk of the temperature dipping into perhaps the high 40s. "Hot chocolate please.".

The first football game - ironically only 50 miles or so from the Meadowlands - was in November. For the first 90 years it was primarily a fall college sport, and when the big bowl games developed they were at warm weather sites on New Years Day..

Yes, the pro version did emerge in the mid-west, but even up to the time of the Super Bowl the championship games  - such as the famous ice bowl - were held in December. Yes, a late December day in Green Bay is at least as cold as a February day in New Jersey, but there is only one Green Bay. The first playoff game was moved INDOORS because of weather for crying out loud. Some teams in the region have actually built these crazy things called "domes".

The push to early January only started in the 70's because of more teams getting into the playoffs. I have great difficulty regarding something that started when I was a teenager as an ancient age old tradition, and the entire point of the conversation is that the push away from a warm weather or domed Super Bowl is only happening NOW. This is a spectator sport. I'm a spectator, and I'd rather be home in front of my television thank you very much. There is nothing "real" or traditional about a mass market form of entertainment taking place in uncomfortable temperatures. Winter sports are "traditionally" played indoors.

Exactly. To me traditional "cold football weather" involves your Mom suggesting that you put on a heaver jacket "just in case" before going to the end of season high school rivalry game on Thanksgiving Day.  And you usually came home chilled to the bone - remembering the more comfortable September/October games fondly and wondering why the heck you bothered to sit outside for hours with the risk of the temperature dipping into perhaps the high 40s. "Hot chocolate please.".

The first football game - ironically only 50 miles or so from the Meadowlands - was in November. For the first 90 years it was primarily a fall college sport, and when the big bowl games developed they were at warm weather sites on New Years Day..

Yes, the pro version did emerge in the mid-west, but even up to the time of the Super Bowl the championship games  - such as the famous ice bowl - were held in December. Yes, a late December day in Green Bay is at least as cold as a February day in New Jersey, but there is only one Green Bay. The first playoff game was moved INDOORS because of weather for crying out loud. Some teams in the region have actually built these crazy things called "domes".

The push to early January only started in the 70's because of more teams getting into the playoffs. I have great difficulty regarding something that started when I was a teenager as an ancient age old tradition, and the entire point of the conversation is that the push away from a warm weather or domed Super Bowl is only happening NOW. This is a spectator sport. I'm a spectator, and I'd rather be home in front of my television thank you very much. There is nothing "real" or traditional about a mass market form of entertainment taking place in uncomfortable temperatures. Winter sports are "traditionally" played indoors.

And the spectators are making themselves known as ticket sales are plummeting, http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10346582/2013-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-ticket-prices-continue-plummet

It is the biggest game of the year and people don't want to go and freeze. I give the NFL credit for always trying to improve their product but a cold weather SB was just a bad idea all around.

And the spectators are making themselves known as ticket sales are plummeting, http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10346582/2013-nfl-playoffs-super-bowl-ticket-prices-continue-plummet

It is the biggest game of the year and people don't want to go and freeze. I give the NFL credit for always trying to improve their product but a cold weather SB was just a bad idea all around.

If prices keep dropping, I'll happily go. It's cold here but it isnt unbearable. If you dress warmly, the weather is mostly fine. I dislike the weather because I think it hurts the Broncos more. But in general, I dont care about the weather. Football is supposed to be played in the elements, whatever they may be. With this superbowl, I expect more of the true, dedicated fans to be there than simply those who go because it is the superbowl.

If prices keep dropping, I'll happily go. It's cold here but it isnt unbearable. If you dress warmly, the weather is mostly fine. I dislike the weather because I think it hurts the Broncos more. But in general, I dont care about the weather. Football is supposed to be played in the elements, whatever they may be. With this superbowl, I expect more of the true, dedicated fans to be there than simply those who go because it is the superbowl.

The temp in Northern Indiana this week will be below zero for 2 days..\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

NY is getting of  easy...

No one ever said that football was supposed to be played in the elements, whatever they may be.

Football was NEVER meant to be played in the middle of the winter.

There will be empty seats if there is an ice or rain storm.. That's insane

The temp in Northern Indiana this week will be below zero for 2 days..\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

NY is getting of easy...

No one ever said that football was supposed to be played in the elements, whatever they may be.

Football was NEVER meant to be played in the middle of the winter.

It could rain anywhere, which it did in our last SB win in so called beautiful "Miami." And there isnt going to be a snowstorm for the SB. And even if there was it would still sellout. A snowstorm would just mean more real fans would get to go rather than the usual rich people who dont have any rooting interest.

NY is getting of easy...

Football was NEVER meant to be played in the middle of the winter.

football was always meant to be played outside not inside. And outside includes the elements. It's colder on the east coast in late december than it is february usually. This is a very strange winter. There was a total of less than 6 inches of snow over the last two years. This year alone it's been 3+ feet, which is super rare.

the 1st 10-day forecast for Feb. 2 in NY

between 25 and 35....light snow/rain mix at times........ugly..but playable

//The worry was blizzard conditions...and sub-zero pain....like we're having

Not only can it be from Friday to Monday but on Sunday game time can also be changed

the league has several contingency plans for the game, including moving it up to Friday or Saturday, pushing it back to Monday or adjusting the scheduled start on Sunday deal with the weather. The game is scheduled to start at 6:25 p.m. EST.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/sports&id=9403966

I really hate the idea of Moving it up as Denver has injury concerns    3 questionable and 1 doubtful as of Friday  & obviously could use the rest and practice time as players get healthy and Prater hasnt even practiced his flue is so bad   he keeps getting sent home as Broncos say he is too contagious I had read 

http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/1/24/5342964/super-bowl-xlviii-injury-report-knowshon-moreno-matt-prater

football was always meant to be played outside not inside. And outside includes the elements. It's colder on the east coast in late december than it is february usually. This is a very strange winter. There was a total of less than 6 inches of snow over the last two years. This year alone it's been 3+ feet, which is super rare.

Obvioulsy football was meant to be played outside

But it was NEVER originally meanat to be played past Thanskgiving....I think everybody knows that

...January is the coldest month of the year and February is the second coldest

Face it..this is a stupid decision to play the Super Bowl in NY on Feb. 2..

....Hopefully we can avoid single digit temps and an ice storm

4 days away...

low 30s, high 20s

..but it could be windy

Huh? Is that specifically at kickoff?

Accuweather.com has a high for day of 45% with a real feel of 41% and a 30% chance of precipitation.

Low that night of 22% with a real feel of 18% and a 21% chance of precipitation.

Both have winds of 7mph with gusts of 11mph (NNW)

I imagine that game time it will be somewhere in between.

While the precipitation risk is listed throughout the day, it specifically says "chance of showers in the morning", which suggests that they risk will be lower during the game.

More importantly, the temps are higher than they were projecting yesterday, which were higher than projected the day before - while the wind threat has gone down. I keep hearing 20mph gusts but don't see it listed. 7/11 is more like a pleasant breeze. This all now constitutes ABOVE normal temperatures for the time of year, which would be a bizarre stroke of luck considering that it's been well BELOW normal the week (and much of the past several).

Crossing my fingers.

all well and good but answer me this........if the playoff games (never mind regular season games) are played in adverse weather conditions, that's fair but the SB isn't.

all well and good but answer me this........if the playoff games (never mind regular season games) are played in adverse weather conditions, that's fair but the SB isn't.

Makes sense.  But the Super Bowl is the big one.  That's the one where it all counts.  Legacies are made or lost here; careers can change.  A playoff loss is one thing, but a Super Bowl loss is a much bigger deal.  That's why I think refs tend to call fewer flags on close penalties in the Super Bowl (such as the throw to Crabtree at the end of last year's game); they don't want something they do to have such a massive effect.  Let the players play to their maximum potential and see who is the better team.  That's just how I see it, anyway