Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free Agents-to-be in the Pro-Bowl

bavanlan

Second that.

He's probably #1 on a lot of teams lists.  We have to be the best choice for him as far as a team with a bright future.  So, the question is, will be in the ball park as far as what he wants for money.

IMHO, this is one guy we should overpay for.

I doubt Mack leaves Cleveland.

Guest TeamLoloJones

In order for Pagano to get any good looks out of the FA's in the Pro-Bowl they would all actually have to compete there and we all know how much of that they do anymore. :headspin:  

http://youtu.be/RJC_lgAuDAg

Hurry...someone get this guy to play TE for the Colts.

I am remembering Grigson saying last year it's not in his DNA to go after big names.  Don't get me wrong there are some guys on that list that I wouldn't mind us having but based on what Grigson said last year and what he did last year I am not going to be shocked if we don't land those guys. 

Most of them are big names for a reason...

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think part of the reason Grigson took more of a "no big names" approach, is because we had too many holes to put a lot of $ into just a few players, with the exception of Cherilus.  (Who proved to be the one really good signing Grigson had last offseason)  With fewer holes to fill on our roster this offseason, and also without a first round pick, Grigson may be a little more apt to go after a big name player or two.  We will see.

While Orakpo would be nice, how would they handle playing time for him, Mathis, Werner, and Walden?  Cutting walden would cost almost 5 million I believe.  Possible to trade him for a pick?

Just make Walden and Werner backups, yeah Walden is being paid like a starter but it is what it is. *It's not a good enough reason not to improve the team. It really just depends if Grigs thinks having another dominate pass rusher is a need or not.

i am not saying they aren't. I am just saying Grigson has made it known he doesn't go after big names unless it's a must have in their eyes. Last tear fans did the samething came up with a lot of big name expensive players they wanted us to sign and we ended up not signing any of them cause people to freak out. Just trying to maybe temper expectations if history repeats it's self. Like I said there are some guys on that list I wouldn't mind the Colts signing but I won't be shocked if they don't.

I think part of the reason Grigson took more of a "no big names" approach, is because we had too many holes to put a lot of $ into just a few players, with the exception of Cherilus.  (Who proved to be the one really good signing Grigson had last offseason)  With fewer holes to fill on our roster this offseason, and also without a first round pick, Grigson may be a little more apt to go after a big name player or two.  We will see.

Agreed.

i am not saying they aren't. I am just saying Grigson has made it known he doesn't go after big names unless it's a must have in their eyes. Last tear fans did the samething came up with a lot of big name expensive players they wanted us to sign and we ended up not signing any of them cause people to freak out. Just trying to maybe temper expectations if history repeats it's self. Like I said there are some guys on that list I wouldn't mind the Colts signing but I won't be shocked if they don't.

I don't think that was what he meant by the comment. I believe he was trying to say he doesn't go after a player based on their reputation, he goes after them based on their film, their age and how they fit the team. However, a lot of these big names have the film to back it up, as that's the reason they are big names.

As LoLo eluded too, we had a lot of holes last year, and less this year, so logically, we can be a little more targeted with our FA spending and maybe attract a blue chip player or two.

Wishful thinking perhaps.

Just make Walden and Werner backups, yeah Walden is being paid like a starter but it is what it is. *It's not a good enough reason not to improve the team. It really just depends if Grigs thinks having another dominate pass rusher is a need or not.

Let Walden specialize in stopping the run, Orakpo rushes the passer. Beyond just depth it gives the defense greater flexibility for different opposing offenses and situations.

Who in their right mind would actually want to play in Cleveland? Every week, you would wake up on Monday morning, look around and say "OMG....I'm still in Cleveland!"

^This^ 

The only "good" thing in Cleveland is the flats (the strip of bars) but only if you go at night so you can't see how much of a dump it is. 

I am remembering Grigson saying last year it's not in his DNA to go after big names.  Don't get me wrong there are some guys on that list that I wouldn't mind us having but based on what Grigson said last year and what he did last year I am not going to be shocked if we don't land those guys. 

I remember that too. The only thing is he pretty much blew that up by going after Richardson.

I agree with that, just thinking of salary cap and additional player acquisitions this season.

Coached by Pagano:

• Greg Hardy
  • Brian Orakpo
  • Brent Grimes
  • T.J. Ward
  • Brandon Albert
  • Alex Mack  :rulez:

NOT Coached by Pagano:

• Jimmy Graham
  • Alterraun Verner  :rulez:
  • Jairus Byrd
  • Jason Hatcher

I think I got them all...

We would be fortunate to land even one of them.  2 or more...Grigson gets a pass for life.  ;)

Guest TeamLoloJones

Richardson. Now that's a pretty big name. Mack....not so much.

How is arguably the best player at his position in the entire NFL not a big name?

No, slightly different scenario, but, as we all know, he still paid big for him.

I think Grigson was more hinting at there he doesn't want to over pay in terms of money for a guy who is a big name because odds are he can get a player of similar talent for less.  Personally I think he over paid for Trent Richardson with a first round pick and that it was a bit of a panic move on his but like has been pointed out he also said in that same quote they would over pay if they feel like it was a guy they had to have.  I still think a trade is different than free agency but even if you want to lump him in I'd say he's more of the exception than the rule in this regard. 

I was just offering a word of caution for everyone drawing up their free agent wish lists that we did this last year and then got mad when Grigson didn't really sign any of those guys. I've admitted and will say again there are a few people on this list I wouldn't mind the Colts signing, Mack probably being at the top of that wish list but I am not going to be shocked if it doesn't happen either based on how Grigson has approached free agency so far.  Also there is a good chance that several players on our "wish list" aren't even going to hit free agency at all as they will get tagged before it ever comes to that point. 

I understand everyone having wish lists and that's cool as long as people understand it's a wish list probably more than a real shopping list for Grigson.