Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

wade phillips or upgrade talent

OLD FAN MAN

what does our defense need, wade Phillips, a great 3-4 coach, or keep the same coach and upgrade the talent? or both?

Both!!!!

Landry didn't work.  Toler gets injured as much as Bob Sanders.  Davis is good.  I even like Butler, who can improve with more time on the field.    Freeman is great. 

I think it's a combination of personnel and coaching. 

Manusky has to go this is the worse run defense i have ever seen. RJF, Franklin, are depth guys at best and Redding is at the end of his career. Hire Wade and draft all defense.

imo Houston made a huge mistake letting wade Phillips go, unless they are going to a 4-3. wade is a master of the 3-4 very aggressive, believes in pressure on the other team, not laying back waiting for something to happen

Both honestly

Yes. I do think a 1-gap 3-4 would help with our interior pass rush which works against elite QBs. It does not mean that our OLBs still can't rush but we need some pass rushers from the DE position, not just OLB position. In the 2-gap 3-4 DE's primary roles seem to be containment and that has not worked the way we wanted it.

Cory Redding is long in the tooth, and if we boost our 3-4 DE position and add a pass rusher there (maybe we go after Arthur Jones from the Ravens for DE and improved run play and pass rush), we should give elite QBs more fits.

Even if we play the 1-gap 3-4, the NT still can hold the fort like Chapman is doing.