Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Still not convinced of the Panthers...

bap1331

Panthers D-line and MLBs are the real deal but that secondary and Cam can't be called that yet.

I've seen Cam make great plays all his career. This season, I've now seen him do it with the game on the line, against good defenses, at home and on the road, and late in the season. I have no doubts about Cam Newton's ability to lead his team. Whether he takes the next step and becomes one of the top QBs in the game is another story, but he won't be what holds his team back.

The secondary is questionable, but no team is perfect. And even with some poor play at times from the secondary, the Panthers have a top five defense.

I've seen Cam make great plays all his career. This season, I've now seen him do it with the game on the line, against good defenses, at home and on the road, and late in the season. I have no doubts about Cam Newton's ability to lead his team. Whether he takes the next step and becomes one of the top QBs in the game is another story, but he won't be what holds his team back.

The secondary is questionable, but no team is perfect. And even with some poor play at times from the secondary, the Panthers have a top five defense.

Cam has had some moments this year but even those are questionable at best. He had that great drive against NO to beat them but up until that point he had done absolutely nothing, and I mean Zero, to even keep his team in a position to win that game. It's a miracle it was that close. Against atlanta I was disappointed with how he played when the division and bye were on the line against a bad atlanta defense.

I think when the panthers lose (which I think happens in the divisional round) it will be because of Cam, and that wont even be debatable as to why they lost. I just don't see that "winner" in Cam like I do in Luck, Wilson, and even Kaep. But that's the beauty of the playoffs, we'll find out.

I think his success is his ability to run with the ball. It threatens defenses but that can only get you so far. It gets to a point where defenses know how to control it and your forced to be a pocket passer which causes problems since they are not used to it.

Cam has had some moments this year but even those are questionable at best. He had that great drive against NO to beat them but up until that point he had done absolutely nothing, and I mean Zero, to even keep his team in a position to win that game. It's a miracle it was that close. Against atlanta I was disappointed with how he played when the division and bye were on the line against a bad atlanta defense.

I think when the panthers lose (which I think happens in the divisional round) it will be because of Cam, and that wont even be debatable as to why they lost. I just don't see that "winner" in Cam like I do in Luck, Wilson, and even Kaep. But that's the beauty of the playoffs, we'll find out.

Same. He hasn't exactly faced the best defenses except for the Saints.

The patriots d is iffy at times. But cmon, you beat the Falcons by 1 point?! He should've blown them out...

I kind of agree in a way. Seen probably 4 games and I haven't come away too impressed or anything. Their offense doesnt appear capable of keeping up if they have to score 30+. Their defense kind of holds them in, but even then I don't become impressed by their D. I feel like I just see blown coverages all over the place, but I am not an expert so maybe it is their type of defense. I could be completely off base. But I don't get that same feeling when watching a Seattle defense or even a Colts offense.

But cmon, you beat the Falcons by 1 point?! He should've blown them out...

Did you see the Falcons play the previous game and how Roddy White was playing vs the 49ers?

Matt Ryan, say what you want, his passing game and efficiency was affected all season by loss of Julio Jones and Roddy White as well. Roddy White was finally healthy for the last few games along with Steven Jackson and the Falcons were at least competitive as a result of that.

Besides, it was a road game that Cam Newton won when Falcons were playing better and more efficiently, IMO. Both teams forced a fumble and INT. The Falcons' D was playing better towards the end of the year, IMO. Plus, Steve Smith was not available in that game, makes a huge difference, no one to take a safety away. Even when they played a team that did not put a safety on him with Talib on him, they beat the Pats but Steve Smith being there does make a difference.

I do however agree on the secondary being a tad inconsistent in road games.

Panthers like to play grind it out, ball control type of games and have put a little bit of leash on Cam Newton's passing attempts, if you haven't noticed. That is because they believe in their D and opportunistic O to win games. That is the kind of team that also wins in the playoffs - ball controlling opportunistic O and very good D.