Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Trent Richardson playing?

trueblueblood

Wow its been a while since I've been on here... Thought I'd give my two cents.

You guys need to remember when brown was struggling to find holes in the previous years and ppl here were blaming it on his poor play when it was clearly due mostly to poor Oline play.

It's the same thing with Richardson when he's in the game all eyes will be on him because they know the kind of player he is... This Line isn't good at run blocking by any standard.. The only reason brown got those holes is because of four things... Luck, patience, skills, and luck.

Richardson is a beast and very hard to get down... If he isn't hit in the backfield like he was multiple times in that game you'd see some good production.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If DB had all those carries he would be broken. This is the first year I remember him being healthy this long.

Brown played 2011's season in full a day be had 134 carries for 4.8yd and... He's a very tough rb and very durable as he was in Connecticut and he would be here if he had to.

He's playing because they want to split the work, that was the plan all year, just with different backs before they got hurt.  He's also playing because they blew a first round pick on him.  I'm not too sure if given an equal opportunity that Choice wouldn't put up at least the same numbers as Richardson to be honest.  He does a good job in the passing game and sometimes in short yardage, but other then that it is brutal to watch him out there.  Brown is just the better back for this team right now.  He sees the hole quicker, and hits it quicker.  Richardson to me just looks slow. And that was the complaint i remember reading from many Browns fans when we made the trade.  I figured it was sour grapes, but i'm starting to believe now.

Usain Bolt would look slow if he's being hit in the backfield....Constantly. Trich is a bruiser, needs room to run. DB is a scat back imo who can get thru those little holes. DB has shown more ability to break tackles this year & is staying healthy "splitting" the load. IMO TRich needs more carries/different looks/scheme (next year) to get going but I like the way the coaching staff is using them both, its working & colts are winning!! :disco:   :blueshoe:

I would think that even the simplest of minds could see that Richardson and Brown have completely different running styles. Brown relies on his speed and Richardson relies on power. Brown gets low and can get through the smallest of openings. If you break down the last few weeks of film you can see that Richardson is coming around.

Marshawn Lynch was considered a bust in Buffalo. Give it time!

Patience is a virtue

It's not just Brown vs. Richardson.  Every runner who touches the ball in this offense looks better than Richardson.  Every play looks better with Richardson on the sideline.  Most people thought our offensive woes were mainly a result of Reggie going down, but Richardson's play IMO has been just as big of a factor, if not more.  When I watch the guy run, I can't believe he was the #3 pick in the draft.  He looks decidedly unspectacular at this level.  Based on what he has shown, had we not spent a #1 on him, were he a 6th rounder, he would not see the field.  Week after week he's hurting this offense. 

A big part of the difference is:

Donald is out of his stance and to the hand off and hole much quicker than Trent

Donald is more decisive when he gets to the hole (this is growth on Donald's part)

Because Donald is faster to the hole, more decisive when he gets there, and can accelerate better on the second level he has been more successful than Trent.

Our line generally sucks at opening holes but when they do open holes they are small holes and only open briefly meaning if you're not to the hole very fast, able to run thru a small hole cutting to avoid contact and then also able to quickly accelerate past the line, you're getting only 1 or 2 yards. Trent is slow out of his stance, slow to the hole, and is used to running thru contact not turning and accelerating to minimize contact. Trent's running style is ill suited to what's available to take advamtage of in our run game.

TRENT SHOULD BE A FB!

He can block, he's sturdy, he's closer to the line, he's a contact short yards runner.

But the reason Trent should be a Fullback is that he could model his game perfectly along the lines of the great Dallas Cowboys fullback Daryl Johnson who was one of the best receiving FB's and averaged 7.6 yards per catch .

Yes, the simplest of minds can see the two guys have different running styles. Brown usually can see holes and hit them. TRich usually can't and seldom does. Maybe TRich needs to wear glasses.

I have been a big Richardson advocate since the trade, but I've always said it will be next year before we benefit from it. I understrand that they are professional atheletes, but it's asking a lot to uproot a guy in the middle of the season and ask him to "carry the load" in a new offense without going through ota's and camp.

With that said, I will be the first to eat crow if this doesn't pan out next year, but I really feel that he will excel here.

I didn't read all the posts, I'm just gonna drop off my thoughts and run.  Late in the game, we had the lead and a first down.  FIrst down, Richardson for 5 yards!  Great!  2nd down, Richardson for 2 yards.  I looked at my wife, and said, that's 3.5 per carry!  Feed it to him again, it's 3rd and 3!  BAM!  First down!  Richardson, he was pulled for a breather and Choice spelled him.  I LOVED IT!  4th quarter, with the lead, and we just ran 3 plays for a first down!  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!!!  THIS IS WHY WE HAVE THIS KID!!!  Remember Jerome Bettis?  Not saying that is what TRICH is, but we did just run the ball to win the game in the 4th quarter.  As usual, I didn't get to see the game, but followed the play-by-play and this is just how it seems to me.  Defense seemed to play very well, and we ran the ball well.  What did I miss?

I am amazed that people still contend it's an offensive line issue. We picked up guys off the waivers who are out producing Richardson and we're a terrible football team without a Quarterback.

No they're not. Willis McGahee has taken the lion share of carries and averaged a whopping 2.7 ypc. Richardson is your third leading rusher and he only played 2 games.

I saw some improvements from TRich today. One play that stood out was when the hole wasn't there and he bounced left to another gap and made a negative play into a positive. He was moving the ball well in the last part of the game when we were trying to run down the clock. So while I am still not thrilled with giving up a first for him I'm encouraged by improvements.

As someone else pointed out Brown and RIch had similar production prior to Brown's big run. And speaking of the big run, Brown needs to send a couple thank you cards. One should go to Luck for the audible with only six in the box. The other should go to the Chief's player that whiffed on the open field tackle.  

here is my two cents. every game i have been able to watch it seems to memthat  the OL blocks diffeerent for Brown that tr. i could jsut be imagining that but i do know BRown  and TR are two different type runners. Every run TR has seems like there are 1 or two defenders in teh backfield or the whole line is just plugged up by defenders. brown seems to get more holes to run in.  Next year might be better for TR becuse he will have this year without being in the Colts Training camp t and going through all the mini camps and training camp. I think we see better production from TR.

Also i think this year the Colts coaching staff are getting a feel for TR stregths and weaknesses. Some of TR problems are on him but a lot of it is on a poor run blocking OL which in the last two or three years at least has been horrible. Since Brown has been here there have been calls for him to be thrown under the bus so to speak. now he is starting to come into his own and is getting some production. TR has been in the NFL 2 years and 2 different teams give him a chance. The only player i don't want to see back is DHB as he just can't catch a ball.

I saw some improvements from TRich today. One play that stood out was when the hole wasn't there and he bounced left to another gap and made a negative play into a positive. He was moving the ball well in the last part of the game when we were trying to run down the clock. So while I am still not thrilled with giving up a first for him I'm encouraged by improvements.

As someone else pointed out Brown and RIch had similar production prior to Brown's big run. And speaking of the big run, Brown needs to send a couple thank you cards. One should go to Luck for the audible with only six in the box. The other should go to the Chief's player that whiffed on the open field tackle.

And Brown can thank himself for breaking two tackles on that TD run

Idc what people say, he sucks. If brown can run all over the same defense behind the same oline, there's a problem. Brown needs to be getting all the carries.

Haven't you read the thread where most people still think Richardson was worth the number one pick? The Colts were completely fleeced by the Browns.  :D

I am amazed that people still contend it's an offensive line issue. We picked up guys off the waivers who are out producing Richardson and we're a terrible football team without a Quarterback.

I'm amazed you still feel compelled to come to another teams forum to talk about a player you don't like.

here is my two cents. every game i have been able to watch it seems to memthat  the OL blocks diffeerent for Brown that tr. i could jsut be imagining that but i do know BRown  and TR are two different type runners. Every run TR has seems like there are 1 or two defenders in teh backfield or the whole line is just plugged up by defenders. brown seems to get more holes to run in.  Next year might be better for TR becuse he will have this year without being in the Colts Training camp t and going through all the mini camps and training camp. I think we see better production from TR.

Also i think this year the Colts coaching staff are getting a feel for TR stregths and weaknesses. Some of TR problems are on him but a lot of it is on a poor run blocking OL which in the last two or three years at least has been horrible. Since Brown has been here there have been calls for him to be thrown under the bus so to speak. now he is starting to come into his own and is getting some production. TR has been in the NFL 2 years and 2 different teams give him a chance. The only player i don't want to see back is DHB as he just can't catch a ball.

You should consider writing children's books, you imagination is extremely vivid.

And Brown can thank himself for breaking two tackles on that TD run

You can call them broken tackles if it makes you feel better, but it was a flat out missed tackle. The first guy wasn't really in position and dove catching DB;s foot enough to make him stutter step. The second one who should've had the tackle just flat out missed. The last guy at the goal line was shoved off balance enough by TY's block that he went down rather easily with a nice little stiff arm. 

How can you say it's the oline when brown has been running much better? Do you think the offensive line is playing favorites?

Because when Tamba Hali is in backfield ready to tackle Richardson less than a second after he touches the ball there's this decent chance it might have been an issue with O-line blocking/communication. 

I am amazed you actually don't think a reason why he's struggling is an offensive line issue. There's not just one reason why he's struggling, but the offensive line has done very few favors for him this season.

Idc what people say, he sucks. If brown can run all over the same defense behind the same oline, there's a problem. Brown needs to be getting all the carries.

Doesn't care what people say, yet creates this thread in a public forum where people put their say in on multiple topics....

i-think-were-done-here.gif?w=584

You can call them broken tackles if it makes you feel better, but it was a flat out missed tackle. The first guy wasn't really in position and dove catching DB;s foot enough to make him stutter step. The second one who should've had the tackle just flat out missed. The last guy at the goal line was shoved off balance enough by TY's block that he went down rather easily with a nice little stiff arm.

Your right, Donald just got lucky.

I don't favor one over the other. But without Brown's 51 yd. run, Brown's yds per rush was 3.1 and Richardson' was 2.7. Run blocking for them both has been poor for many weeks. There is almost never any push at all between the tackles for either back. They both get hit hard at or behind the line of scrimmage way too often.

He should send a third to Coby Fleener.  Fleener got a piece of the last 2 defenders that were in Brown's way.  Fleener didn't get great blocks on either one but got just enough of each of them to make sure neither had a good shot at Brown.

Your right, Donald just got lucky.

Never said he just got lucky. I said he was the beneficiary of poor tackling. It's rather odd really. In years past we as Colts fans were the ones screaming and yelling at the TV for our defense to actually make tackles as we watch another teams runner go on long run after long run.  But back on point, It was a nice run. It took a lot of skill to stay in bounds on that run, especially at the end when he stiff armed the defender and then had to hurdle him. 

Because when Tamba Hali is in backfield ready to tackle Richardson less than a second after he touches the ball there's this decent chance it might have been an issue with O-line blocking/communication.

I am amazed you actually don't think a reason why he's struggling is an offensive line issue. There's not just one reason why he's struggling, but the offensive line has done very few favors for him this season.

Doesn't care what people say, yet creates this thread in a public forum where people put their say in on multiple topics....

i-think-were-done-here.gif?w=584

Ohhhhhh you just served EVERYONE. Trent sucks, until he shows otherwise. Point blank period. Bottom line.

I don't favor one over the other. But without Brown's 51 yd. run, Brown's yds per rush was 3.1 and Richardson' was 2.7. Run blocking for them both has been poor for many weeks. There is almost never any push at all between the tackles for either back. They both get hit hard at or behind the line of scrimmage way too often.

The major insight for me was looking back at some nice gifs somebody posted on bleacher report, arguing that Richardson has learned to trust his blocking too much from his days at Alabama.  He likes to get deep into his blockers before making his cut, which is great when the offensive line is making their blocks.  As it is he spends more time dodging lineman then defensive players.  Brown has been making decisions sooner, not taking the blocking as much for granted, and using his great acceleration and speed to get what holes we do make.  

It's true that on most runs Donald Brown does no more then Trent, but the little things he's doing better right now have resulted in him breaking some big runs on occasion.

I accept that he may never figure this out, and as a consequence will always appear a step slow and won't be worth our investment.  I also accept that some of the blame falls on TRich.

I roundly reject the idea that his problems are not correctable, or that he cannot become a very good running back.  He certainly flashes the ability at times.

really?

i didn't comment or tr or brown in this thread. i gave up debating this a while ago.

I thought you made a similar comment in another TR thread, if not, my bad. But h.ell they have arguing about Brady vs Manning with the same tires arguments for a decade.

I think we may have seen the last of BpG on this forum.

Care to compare the last two games?

T-rich

35 rushes 107 yards, 3.0 YPC 0 TD's

Waiver wire scrub Edwin Baker

25 Rushes 102 yards, 4.1 YPC, 2 TD's

But yeah,"boom, roasted". LOL no

Willis Mcgahee hasn't started a game in a month and hasn't even played in the past two. So yeah, waiver scrubs out performing Richardson. Third leading Rusher on your team as well no doubt. 

Care to compare the last two games?

T-rich

35 rushes 107 yards, 3.0 YPC 0 TD's

Waiver wire scrub Edwin Baker

25 Rushes 102 yards, 4.1 YPC, 2 TD's

But yeah,"boom, roasted". LOL no

Willis Mcgahee hasn't started a game in a month and hasn't even played in the past two. So yeah, waiver scrubs out performing Richardson. Third leading Rusher on your team as well no doubt.

You did win four games out of 13 without him, compared to zero with him. That's an improvement of infinity.

Ohhhhhh you just served EVERYONE. Trent sucks, until he shows otherwise. Point blank period. Bottom line.

oh__stop_it__you__by_rober_raik-d4cwd9f.

Love it when people are like this. If you can't give legitimate reasons and examples why he sucks or what he's doing wrong when he runs then there's no reason to take you or your position on Richardson seriously. 

Haven't you read the thread where most people still think Richardson was worth the number one pick? The Colts were completely fleeced by the Browns.  :D

What is it with you and your habitual use of one emoticon?

:D indicates happiness or pleasure. 

Does your opinion that the Colts were fleeced by the Browns make you happy?