Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck has been hit 78 times this season; the next closest is at 53.

Dustin

Every QB holds onto the ball too long at times. What you can't argue against is his average of 2.8 seconds, as stated earlier in this thread. According to that, he holds onto the ball at an average rate amongst NFL QBs.

Lets look at it this way. There's a certain percentage for the hits Luck has taken that can be attributed to Luck and a certain percentage to the O-line. Statistics show that Luck holds onto the ball no more than the league average, however, he's been hit 78 times-- by far the most in the league. So is this more of a Luck issue or an O-line issue? It's pretty clear that its an O-line issue.

What QB doesn't hang onto the ball too long at times?

They all do of course, Tsarquise said in his/her original post that Luck hangs onto the ball to long. Balzer said that thats an "untrue and overused" statement. I took that at face value(before I read his next post stating sometimes he does hang onto the ball to long) to mean that he did not think that was true (when at times it clearly is, the eye in the sky dont lie). In other words miscommunication on both of our parts. Nothing more/nothing less

Every QB holds onto the ball too long at times. What you can't argue against is his average of 2.8 seconds, as stated earlier in this thread. According to that, he holds onto the ball at an average rate amongst NFL QBs.

Lets look at it this way. There's a certain percentage for the hits Luck has taken that can be attributed to Luck and a certain percentage to the O-line. Statistics show that Luck holds onto the ball no more than the league average, however, he's been hit 78 times-- by far the most in the league. So is this more of a Luck issue or an O-line issue? It's pretty clear that its an O-line issue.

Agreed! (and also agree that it's obvious)

On my TV it's about like this;

65% - O-Line Interior (direct penetration - stunt recognition - blitz recognition - QB can't step from pocket push  - pocket pushed backward until QB struck by edge rushers)

10% - O-Line Tackles (edge rusher -  line stunt recognition - blitz recognition)

10% - Backfield Blocking (poor angles - poor recognition)

10% - Receivers (hot route errors - scheme recognition) 

05% - QB (Holding ball too long)

What QB doesn't hang onto the ball too long at times?

Maybe the ones that have a running game , a O line that can protect , a OC that can make the proper adjustments for blitzes , some experienced WR's that run the proper routes and create some separation. 

Maybe the ones that have a running game , a O line that can protect , a OC that can make the proper adjustments for blitzes , some experienced WR's that run the proper routes and create some separation. 

Its on the players more then it is the OC to pick up blitzes

Interesting, Palmer under Arians has much less hits and a few more sacks than Luck under the efficient Pep power run scheme..  That No coast vs. Arians vertical "chunk yards" style offense.

It's not just Luck wanting to hold on to that ball... he doesn't want it, nor getting hit that goes along with that.

Was refering to Gavin more than you. The implication he holds the ball for some absurdly long time is asinine. I guess people are just used to seeing Peyton and his almost precognizant awareness of where to throw.

Exactly. Peyton 'throws' people open often, depending on the defense he sees.  He works so much with his receivers he knows exactly where they'll be and throws it to that spot before the receiver even breaks that direction.  the ball gets there sometimes right as receiver turns around to look for it. That little advantage the receiver got on the defender on his break is all he needs to secure the catch.  There's no way a 2nd year Luck has or can develop that chemistry with our parade of young receivers who can't read a D themselves and are in and out of the lineup, on and off the 53 man roster, etc...

And to think offensive line was the biggest problem going into this season.

Zero improvement. 

It's been a combination of bad luck (Donald Thomas' injury) and poor personnel management (drafting/free agency). Bottom line, the numbers are virtually the same as last year. And the shame of it is that we had the money to go after one of the elite linemen, like Levitre or Vasquez.

Wasn't it about 120 times for the entire year last year? So, a 33% improvement? I'll take a little bit of it :), for what it is worth.

It was 83 last year. From the article: 

This isn't a one-year thing, either. In his rookie year, Luck had 83 QB hits, which also led the league and was 22 more than any other quarterback.

NFL.com has it at 116 for 2012, I wonder why such a big difference in the 2....Also NFL.com has it at 98 this year

I would guess that the discrepancy isn't that large between the hits but NFL.com is lumping in sack with them. 

Ex. NFL.com has Luck being hit 68 times, but adding in the 30 sacks makes it 98. 

PFF has it at 64 hits surrendered this season.

I would guess that the discrepancy isn't that large between the hits but NFL.com is lumping in sack with them. 

Ex. NFL.com has Luck being hit 68 times, but adding in the 30 sacks makes it 98. 

PFF has it at 64 hits surrendered this season.

Ah, I thought NFL.com separated hits from sacks, it appears they do, Guess not

Andrew Luck is holding on to the ball too long. 

Also it's crazy how little Peyton has gotten sacked and hit. But that's not a surprise. Those stats were the same with us.

How are you going to get rid of the ball quickly when you've been playing multiple games without Reggie Wayne and a guy who can't catch the ball?  We saw how it went for Peyton @ home vs SD without his safety blanket in Welker:

video.gif SD L  20-27 27 41 65.9 289 7.0 2 1 1 12 92.4

How can Luck without his safety blanket, a terrible OL, a guy who can't catch the ball and lack of running game get rid of the ball quickly????  

Yep kind of difficult.  Luck is doing great for what he has.  It almost kind of amazes me actually. 

What I find most interesting on this article is that peyton... "Without superstar ryan clady" is only getting hit on 7.2 percent of his snaps (lowest in the league). Sacked only 16 times, hit only 26 times.

You could stick Manning behind a high school o line and his sack numbers would be low. He is almost psychic in how fast he gets his release off. O lines that have played with him under center almost need an aaterisk next to their stat lines.

I do not fault Andrew a bit. 

Sure his accuracy is off, but there is a reason for that, as the title of this thread indicates.

The o-line is crap.  At least when Peyton was here the line was designed for pass protection.  Today's unit would've gotten Peyton slaughtered. 

Our receiving corps is also to blame because the unit is severely lacking knowledge.  This is because it takes longer than usual to groom receivers, and here Luck is relying on 2 undrafted rookies and 2 second year players.

Anyone faulting Luck for this situation is crazy.  No quarterback should be able to thrive, let alone win, under these circumstances.