Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens/Lions MNF game thread

Jules

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Every game for the Ravens has been a playoff game since they were 4-6. Four in a row, next up NE. No time to relax or enjoy.

I think you will take the pats on Sunday. We don't have enough O and your D is better than last year. I still like you for the division as Cincy is coming apart.

I think you will take the pats on Sunday. We don't have enough O and your D is better than last year. I still like you for the division as Cincy is coming apart.

I'm not predicting anything except that it will probably be a close, nail- biting game as usual. All I know is the Ravens are desperate, and have to win every game as it is like a playoff game, because we dug such a hole for ourselves. In looking at the season so far, and considering we blew up our roster, I'm proud of these guys. It will be a tough two games and anything can happen, but this team does fight hard, and you have to like that.

I'm not predicting anything except that it will probably be a close, nail- biting game as usual. All I know is the Ravens are desperate, and have to win every game as it is like a playoff game, because we dug such a hole for ourselves. In looking at the season so far, and considering we blew up our roster, I'm proud of these guys. It will be a tough two games and anything can happen, but this team does fight hard, and you have to like that.

I wonder if Lewis is smoldering inside at the fact that this D has picked up and moved on so well without him. Earlier in the year he said they didn't have any leaders. Not true anymore. Suggs is that guy and the rest of the guys are just tough, good players.

Yeah, Ravens-Pats always comes down to the end. Ravens better score TDs vs Pats because Brady is not turning it over like Stafford, period. :)

Yeah, Ravens-Pats always comes down to the end. Ravens better score TDs vs Pats because Brady is not turning it over like Stafford, period. :)

Someone on another thread compared Stafford to Culpepper. They may be the comparison of the year. Only looks great because he has the best receiver in the league but fails to make the plays to win and turns it over.

I wonder if Lewis is smoldering inside at the fact that this D has picked up and moved on so well without him. Earlier in the year he said they didn't have any leaders. Not true anymore. Suggs is that guy and the rest of the guys are just tough, good players.

Ray kind of bristled on the pre-game show about this years defense being better than last years. He basically said that last years was better because they won it all, and I guess I can't argue with that. Statistically, this defense is much better , but has trouble getting off the field late in games, and gives up a lot of scores late in the 4th quarter, like the Vikings and Lions games. Now considering the defense and team had to get younger, overall you have to like how the Ravens defense has done this year. As far as final ratings, the book on that one hasn't been written yet. We will see.

Ray kind of bristled on the pre-game show about this years defense being better than last years. He basically said that last years was better because they won it all, and I guess I can't argue with that. Statistically, this defense is much better , but has trouble getting off the field late in games, and gives up a lot of scores late in the 4th quarter, like the Vikings and Lions games. Now considering the defense and team had to get younger, overall you have to like how the Ravens defense has done this year. As far as final ratings, the book on that one hasn't been written yet. We will see.

Ha. Figured he would. So he thinks it was the D who gave up boat loads of points to the Broncos and Niners and not Flacco's 11 TDs and no picks that won the ring? Typical Ray I suppose.

You are 100% right. Even Joe and Harbaugh were bemoaning our touchdown inefficiency in the red zone. It has to get better to beat Brady, and everyone in Baltimore knows it.

Honestly, we were very lucky to win these two games, but hopefully that balanced out some of the earlier tough losses. Other than getting blown out by Denver by 22, which also happened in the regular season last year, and Cleveland by 6, all the Ravens losses have been by three or fewer points, which indicates they will be in most games. Hopefully , being at almost full strength with Pitta back, this team can get into the playoffs and be a pain in the neck. I thought we were pretty much done at 4-6, but this team once again showed they were resilient , and pulled out four straight games. With NE at home, and Cincy on the road , the playoffs will be no easy task, and have to be earned.

You are 100% right. Even Joe and Harbaugh were bemoaning our touchdown inefficiency in the red zone. It has to get better to beat Brady, and everyone in Baltimore knows it.

Honestly, we were very lucky to win these two games, but hopefully that balanced out some of the earlier tough losses. Other than getting blown out by Denver by 22, which also happened in the regular season last year, and Cleveland by 6, all the Ravens losses have been by three or fewer points, which indicates they will be in most games. Hopefully , being at almost full strength with Pitta back, this team can get into the playoffs and be a pain in the neck. I thought we were pretty much done at 4-6, but this team once again showed they were resilient , and pulled out four straight games. With NE at home, and Cincy on the road , the playoffs will be no easy task, and have to be earned.

Ravens are No 1 in red zone defense i think

Ha. Figured he would. So he thinks it was the D who gave up boat loads of points to the Broncos and Niners and not Flacco's 11 TDs and no picks that won the ring? Typical Ray I suppose.

I don't like the guys ego a lot of the time, but I guess that is what made him great. Most in Baltimore are just pretty much amused by his prattling on the pre-game shows, but there is no doubt he has a massive ego.

I know Joe isn't Brady or Manning, but he's a heck of a nice guy. His demeanor and cool head in games, really remind me of Unitas. The guy just does enough to lead and help his team to victories, which is why he's worth 120 million to me. I think the guy earned it through 5 seasons, and thus far, has his team in contention at 8-6 , with a bad o line, mediocre running game, and without some of his top receivers this year.

I think Flacco just rattles Ray's chains when he says he doesn't know what Ray is talking about half the time on the pre-game shows. Flacco is a funny and reserved guy, who always is accountable , and puts team goals above all else. The guy led the team to the Super Bowl last year despite Ray's assertions, and is not afraid to speak his mind like he did when he didn't like the wildcat. No one is saying Joe is the GOAT, but he's a very good winning NFL quarterback.

Ravens are No 1 in red zone defense i think

That is how they won it all last year , bend but don't break. Harbaugh and staff work diligently on this, and it paid off big in that last stand against the 49ers last year. They will need to continue that, but hopefully add TD's against the Patriots. The Ravens have just always played and won or lost ugly. It's not pretty watching them, and it's in their DNA.

I don't like the guys ego a lot of the time, but I guess that is what made him great. Most in Baltimore are just pretty much amused by his prattling on the pre-game shows, but there is no doubt he has a massive ego.

I know Joe isn't Brady or Manning, but he's a heck of a nice guy. His demeanor and cool head in games, really remind me of Unitas. The guy just does enough to lead and help his team to victories, which is why he's worth 120 million to me. I think the guy earned it through 5 seasons, and thus far, has his team in contention at 8-6 , with a bad o line, mediocre running game, and without some of his top receivers this year.

I think Flacco just rattles Ray's chains when he says he doesn't know what Ray is talking about half the time on the pre-game shows. Flacco is a funny and reserved guy, who always is accountable , and puts team goals above all else. The guy led the team to the Super Bowl last year despite Ray's assertions, and is not afraid to speak his mind like he did when he didn't like the wildcat. No one is saying Joe is the GOAT, but he's a very good winning NFL quarterback.

I think one of the things Flacco does not get enough credit for is how he is able to extend plays with his movement in the pocket and ability to not go down. At times he reminds me of Big Ben except he does not throw with guys hanging on to him.

He does win and I will not dispute that but we have yet to see him perform with an even average defense. His offense is putrid this year like you noted but his stats are also some of the worst of his career but I think what separates him is that he is very good situationally. While Stafford was busy throwing picks late in the game, Flacco calmly led his team, didn't turn it over and put them in position to win. This has always been the thing that separates Brady IMO and really all the greats of the game. Their ability to understand the moment and what they need to do give their team a chance to win. And that isn't always leading the game winning drive, it sometimes is throwing the ball away, taking the check down or scrambling for 2 yards and punting away. Of course, Joe has always had the luxury of that D which allows him to be as conservative as he is and not force anything.

Yet, you claim Brady is the most responsible for the pats three supet bowls. Despite the fact he only had one td in the first playoff run, and 11 total in the pats three superbowl seasons.

Typical pats fan i guess

Yet, you claim Brady is the most responsible for the pats three supet bowls. Despite the fact he only had one td in the first playoff run, and 11 total in the pats three superbowl seasons.

Typical pats fan i guess

Let me ask you, do the Pats win that Super Bowl that year without Brady? And let me remind you he went to the pro bowl that year.

The Ravens are playing like the 2005 Steelers to me, almost playing with house money, it feels like. But they better score TDs vs the Pats though, Brady is not turning it over like Stafford.

Brady typically struggles against the Ravens......more interceptions than touchdowns.

I think one of the things Flacco does not get enough credit for is how he is able to extend plays with his movement in the pocket and ability to not go down. At times he reminds me of Big Ben except he does not throw with guys hanging on to him.

He does win and I will not dispute that but we have yet to see him perform with an even average defense. His offense is putrid this year like you noted but his stats are also some of the worst of his career but I think what separates him is that he is very good situationally. While Stafford was busy throwing picks late in the game, Flacco calmly led his team, didn't turn it over and put them in position to win. This has always been the thing that separates Brady IMO and really all the greats of the game. Their ability to understand the moment and what they need to do give their team a chance to win. And that isn't always leading the game winning drive, it sometimes is throwing the ball away, taking the check down or scrambling for 2 yards and punting away. Of course, Joe has always had the luxury of that D which allows him to be as conservative as he is and not force anything.

As a quarterback , I think Joe understands the Baltimore system. It is predicated on solid defense , time management of the clock , and great special teams. It's winning ugly , with a methodical offense that is great in the clutch. When he has better receivers, which generally he hasn't through most of his career except last year, you see what he can do. The Baltimore offense is built on a strong offensive line and great running game , which we don't have this year. This has led Joe to force things more, which has led to worse statistics. Despite all of that, the Ravens will not have a losing season in 2013, and that will be the sixth straight for Flacco. It remains to be seen if it will be his six straight playoff appearance. If he gets there, he could be dangerous.

As a quarterback , I think Joe understands the Baltimore system. It is predicated on solid defense , time management of the clock , and great special teams. It's winning ugly , with a methodical offense that is great in the clutch. When he has better receivers, which generally he hasn't through most of his career except last year, you see what he can do. The Baltimore offense is built on a strong offensive line and great running game , which we don't have this year. This has led Joe to force things more, which has led to worse statistics. Despite all of that, the Ravens will not have a losing season in 2013, and that will be the sixth straight for Flacco. It remains to be seen if it will be his six straight playoff appearance. If he gets there, he could be dangerous.

Sure but he has had Smith and Jones and Rice this year. That O is far from mediocre even with some of the losses - Boldin and Pitta.

The Ravens are getting hot (again) at the right time (again). I'm pretty sure they'll beat the Patriots Sunday. I don't know if it'll even be all that close. Maybe for a half or three quarters, but they will get more stops on Brady and company than the Patriots will against Flacco and the Ravens' offense. Kind of the perfect storm... the NE defense is struggling badly right now and the offense is not able to pick up the slack.

I can easily see Baltimore winning in the WC round, and I wouldn't put it past the Bengals to implode as the season winds down. How crazy would it be if Baltimore wins out, the Bengals go 0-for-2, and the Patriots drop these last two, making the Ravens the #2 seed? I don't think NE will lose to Buffalo at home, especially if they're coming off two straight losses, but anything can happen. Miami is also not technically eliminated from winning the East, so these final games are all big. 

Also, I rarely comment on officiating, but last night's game... just awful. Awful. Lots of horrible, ticky-tack, drive-extending calls against Detroit's defense, and the non-call on the Ravens' D (for PI in the end zone) was the worst. I hate the inconsistency. That took four points off the board and basically that was the difference. 

The Ravens are getting hot (again) at the right time (again). I'm pretty sure they'll beat the Patriots Sunday. I don't know if it'll even be all that close. Maybe for a half or three quarters, but they will get more stops on Brady and company than the Patriots will against Flacco and the Ravens' offense. Kind of the perfect storm... the NE defense is struggling badly right now and the offense is not able to pick up the slack.

I can easily see Baltimore winning in the WC round, and I wouldn't put it past the Bengals to implode as the season winds down. How crazy would it be if Baltimore wins out, the Bengals go 0-for-2, and the Patriots drop these last two, making the Ravens the #2 seed? I don't think NE will lose to Buffalo at home, especially if they're coming off two straight losses, but anything can happen. Miami is also not technically eliminated from winning the East, so these final games are all big. 

Also, I rarely comment on officiating, but last night's game... just awful. Awful. Lots of horrible, ticky-tack, drive-extending calls against Detroit's defense, and the non-call on the Ravens' D (for PI in the end zone) was the worst. I hate the inconsistency. That took four points off the board and basically that was the difference. 

Do you think Pats should sign Talib in the off-season?  I am  having my doubts that he can stay healthy for a full season. He is a beast when 100 percent but otherwise very average and this hip goes back to Tampa.

Sure but he has had Smith and Jones and Rice this year. That O is far from mediocre even with

some of the losses - Boldin and Pitta.

Jones was out for six weeks with an injury, and Rice has been out one game and has struggled all year with a hip injury he suffered. Smith has been the only consistent, and with all the other guys out, they put double coverage on him.

Do you think Pats should sign Talib in the off-season?  I am  having my doubts that he can stay healthy for a full season. He is a beast when 100 percent but otherwise very average and this hip goes back to Tampa.

I think it will depend on:

1. Who else is available?

2. What will his asking price be?

Other teams interested in signing him will know about the hip and the injury history, so I'm not sure he's going to get a lot of big money offers. If the hip is chronic, then the "average" Talib is what the Patriots (or any team) will get, I think... he's a stud when healthy, but has he ever really been 100%? I'd like to see him back, but I don't think they should break the bank for him, and am pretty sure they won't do that anyway. 

I would have loved to have seen what would have unfolded if the defense had stayed relatively healthy all year. For the first few weeks of the season, they looked like they were going to play a lot of press coverage, aggressive and attacking style... but they need the cover guys to do that. Seems like everyone in the secondary (Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Gregory) are all playing hurt, and it's showing on the field lately. I'm concerned that Flacco is just going to torch them on Sunday. He's had the Pats' number and I don't see why that won't continue. Unfortunately, of course! 

Typical pats fan i guess

But I thought it was Spygate?  ;)

Actually, it's funny... people will say stuff about Spygate and then credit the Patriots' defense for winning those first three SBs. Think about that for a minute or two and the irony will come. 

Detroit definately got some bad calls last night that favored us. We really have to play better than last night to beat the Patriots. The one saving grace is it is in Baltimore where we play well. It will still be a brutal Ross up game. If we can get past that one, it is at Cincy, where I think they are undefeated at home. I know it's the Bengals, but it is tough beating them at their place. I'm not sure what is going to happen, but I'm just hoping they can squeak into the playoffs. If they can do that, it's up for grabs and everyone has a shot in this wide open field.

Detroit definately got some bad calls last night that favored us. We really have to play better than last night to beat the Patriots. The one saving grace is it is in Baltimore where we play well. It will still be a brutal Ross up game. If we can get past that one, it is at Cincy, where I think they are undefeated at home. I know it's the Bengals, but it is tough beating them at their place. I'm not sure what is going to happen, but I'm just hoping they can squeak into the playoffs. If they can do that, it's up for grabs and everyone has a shot in this wide open field.

The Pats got one last week against the Browns (horrible, horrible PI call)... good teams make the most of those chances, the way the Ravens did last night. I really don't want to see the Patriots play Baltimore in the postseason again! Had it not been for a fluky missed FG, the Ravens would be 2-0 at Gillette in the past two postseasons (or at least they would have went to OT two years ago). 

I actually am really disliking this trend in the NFL with PI and defensive holding calls. Heard last week on sportstalk radio in Boston that those types of calls are up something like 62% this season from five years ago, whereas other penalties are basically being called with the same frequency. It seems like every incomplete pass, you have to hold your breath for a few seconds to make sure there's no flag. Teams aren't allowed to play defense anymore.

Bigtime "bullet dodged" with Joe's knee last night too, huh? That looked ugly on replay. Glad he wasn't hurt, you never want to see that happen. He's a tough customer. 

Its been mentioned a few times on here, but if the Ravens and Dolphins win out, Baltimore gets the division and the Bengals are outside looking in. Crazy all things considered.

The Pats got one last week against the Browns (horrible, horrible PI call)... good teams make the most of those chances, the way the Ravens did last night. I really don't want to see the Patriots play Baltimore in the postseason again! Had it not been for a fluky missed FG, the Ravens would be 2-0 at Gillette in the past two postseasons (or at least they would have went to OT two years ago).

I actually am really disliking this trend in the NFL with PI and defensive holding calls. Heard last week on sportstalk radio in Boston that those types of calls are up something like 62% this season from five years ago, whereas other penalties are basically being called with the same frequency. It seems like every incomplete pass, you have to hold your breath for a few seconds to make sure there's no flag. Teams aren't allowed to play defense anymore.

Bigtime "bullet dodged" with Joe's knee last night too, huh? That looked ugly on replay. Glad he wasn't hurt, you never want to see that happen. He's a tough customer.

I know what you're talking about in terms of match ups. Until the Denver game, Manning always had the Ravens number in playoffs and regular season with the Colts. I still dread seeing us play Manning. We have had a little more luck with the Patriots and Brady. I think because we always draft, prep, and have to get ready to play the Steelers every year to get in the playoffs. I think the Patriots, Steelers , and Ravens are built similar, which always make for tough games. The Patriots have traditionally had Manning's number as opposed to the Ravens who have struggled with him. No one wants to play those pesky Chargers either.

Its been mentioned a few times on here, but if the Ravens and Dolphins win out, Baltimore gets the division and the Bengals are outside looking in. Crazy all things considered.

It would be crazy, but it won't be easy for either team. By far, Miami has the easier road, and we all know it. I would love to see the Ravens get a third division crown in a row, but how many more times can you count on three scores in the final 205 while giving up two, or a 61 yard field goal to win a game ? I hope the luck keeps running our way, but you have to continue to improve and put some of these games away. This living on the edge is tough.

But I thought it was Spygate?  ;)

Actually, it's funny... people will say stuff about Spygate and then credit the Patriots' defense for winning those first three SBs. Think about that for a minute or two and the irony will come. 

I am glad you realize its either spygate or defense not just Brady unlike few trolls here.

Jones was out for six weeks with an injury, and Rice has been out one game and has struggled all year with a hip injury he suffered. Smith has been the only consistent, and with all the other guys out, they put double coverage on him.

Yes forgot about Jones. I really like him  - good WR, great STs returner.

Even without Rice, more than 1,100 yards rushing.

I think it will depend on:

1. Who else is available?

2. What will his asking price be?

Other teams interested in signing him will know about the hip and the injury history, so I'm not sure he's going to get a lot of big money offers. If the hip is chronic, then the "average" Talib is what the Patriots (or any team) will get, I think... he's a stud when healthy, but has he ever really been 100%? I'd like to see him back, but I don't think they should break the bank for him, and am pretty sure they won't do that anyway. 

I would have loved to have seen what would have unfolded if the defense had stayed relatively healthy all year. For the first few weeks of the season, they looked like they were going to play a lot of press coverage, aggressive and attacking style... but they need the cover guys to do that. Seems like everyone in the secondary (Talib, Dennard, Arrington, Gregory) are all playing hurt, and it's showing on the field lately. I'm concerned that Flacco is just going to torch them on Sunday. He's had the Pats' number and I don't see why that won't continue. Unfortunately, of course! 

Yeah, he will want the big pay day which is why I think he is playing hurt. But I can't imagine too many teams coming to the table with big or long terms offers. I can see the Pats giving him a 2 or 3 year deal at most at the 5 mil a year or maybe even a little less. Not sure if that will be enough.

I agree about wishing we could have seen this defense progress. On boston.com a writer talked about how the Pats would have been the best team in the AFC if the defense and Gronk stayed healthy. But it is what it is.

I don't feel good about the Ravens game at all. I have some hope because the Detroit secondary is awful and Flacco did not light it up but still our secondary is having issues. Have to rely on our Dline getting pressure which it has been all season. I would like to think Brady can do well in this game because the Ravens can be thrown on and run on as well but the red zone is awful. And of course the Ravens D is one of the best in the red zone. It will be close but I agree that the Ravens pull it out.

I am glad you realize its either spygate or defense not just Brady unlike few trolls here.

Trolls, Mr. Bond? Really? Have you seen your own posts in this thread? Baiting AMF and then calling her a troll is a little disingenuous.   ;)

And also, I assume you still caught the tongue-in-cheek nature of my post and are responding in kind. Brady was very much a game manager in the SB against the Rams but still engineered one of the greatest scoring drives in SB history. He had a monster game in the 2nd SB against Carolina (and had to, because the Pats' defense totally broke down in the second half). And against Philly, he was very efficient in a game that was probably the Patriots' most "complete" effort in terms of offense/defense. 

Yeah, he will want the big pay day which is why I think he is playing hurt. But I can't imagine too many teams coming to the table with big or long terms offers. I can see the Pats giving him a 2 or 3 year deal at most at the 5 mil a year or maybe even a little less. Not sure if that will be enough.

I agree about wishing we could have seen this defense progress. On boston.com a writer talked about how the Pats would have been the best team in the AFC if the defense and Gronk stayed healthy. But it is what it is.

I don't feel good about the Ravens game at all. I have some hope because the Detroit secondary is awful and Flacco did not light it up but still our secondary is having issues. Have to rely on our Dline getting pressure which it has been all season. I would like to think Brady can do well in this game because the Ravens can be thrown on and run on as well but the red zone is awful. And of course the Ravens D is one of the best in the red zone. It will be close but I agree that the Ravens pull it out.

It'll be interesting to see if they make a play to keep Talib around. But if they wouldn't pay Ty Law top dollar, they're certainly not going to do that for him. I like Dennard a lot (he's regressed a bit but I think that's injury related) and Logan Ryan has shown some flashes here and there. I kind of get the sense that the Patriots figure that no matter what, it's an offense-driven league now and your goal defensively is just to limit opponents' scoring chances. So it makes no sense to spend a ton of money against the cap to keep a guy like Talib.

What I like about next year is how the guys who are playing now (Vellano, etc) are starting, but will be in backup roles for 2014. The experience and playing time will help them in the long run, and will add a lot of depth. I'd like to see them get a D-lineman, either via FA or the draft, and some additional help in the secondary. But I think most of the pieces are there... they're just broken pieces right now, lol!