Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Moala and Mathews

1959Colts

Fili Moala and Ricardo Mathews are two guys who are in on a large number of plays each week.

Yet they both bring little to no pass rush, and get manhandled by the blockers.

It would be nice to see less of these two players from here on in.

Im pretty sure we are so banged up and lack depth that this would simply be impossible. Fili made some good plays yesterday...

Makes you wonder why we let Antonio Johnson and Drake Nevis walk this year :scorebad:

Fili Moala and Ricardo Mathews are two guys who are in on a large number of plays each week.

Yet they both bring little to no pass rush, and get manhandled by the blockers.

It would be nice to see less of these two players from here on in.

Yea I have never really saw what the Colts see in Ricardo Mathews. Moala isn't that bad though.

I saw Hughes get pressure up the middle on at least one play. May get better with more experience

Yeah I think this is how bad our team on defense has become, we celebrate a player making that one play. Lol

Yea I have never really saw what the Colts see in Ricardo Mathews. Moala isn't that bad though.

I too have no idea what they have seen in Ricardo Mathews, he is the avg player that comes off any practice squad or waiting at home for a call up while not a world record holder, at least Guy made a few impact plays in his time here and gets cut from doing such terrible acts. I don't understand what kind of criteria our coaching staff use to determine who plays and stays vs who gets cut or sits, they seem to make decisions that are contradictory of what seems an easy choice. #baffled

It's amazing that after almost 2 yrs. of this system and people still don't get that it isn't the job of our DE's to rush the QB. We play a 2 gap 3-4. The DE's only job is to eat up blocks and let the LBer's make the play. If by some chance our DE's get a sack, then thats just a bonus, but THEY DO NOT RUSH THE QB. Will you people please learn this?

It's amazing that after almost 2 yrs. of this system and people still don't get that it isn't the job of our DE's to rush the QB. We play a 2 gap 3-4. The DE's only job is to eat up blocks and let the LBer's make the play. If by some chance our DE's get a sack, then thats just a bonus, but THEY DO NOT RUSH THE QB. Will you people please learn this?

Well its obvious Moala and Mathews DO NOT "eat up the blocks" either.

Yet GOOD DE`s all across the league make plays & get pressure. They make PRO BOWLS!

Moala & Mathews don`t hold up at the point of attack. the Job you say they are PAID to do. They are Bad.

They ARE NOT double teamed that much, and if YOU WATCH, as they TRY to get penetration (part of their job) they have to give up their rush lane and runners run right past them because they can`t get off the block.

Mathews is pathetic and Fili has made FEW plays in his almost 5 years. DUDS! Watch the beatdown the next 3 weeks our D will take when those 2 are in the game, especially together. The same every week.

The one playing beside Mathis will look Really bad.

Yet GOOD DE`s all across the league make plays & get pressure. They make PRO BOWLS!

Moala & Mathews don`t hold up at the point of attack. the Job you say they are PAID to do. They are Bad.

They ARE NOT double teamed that much, and if YOU WATCH, as they TRY to get penetration (part of their job) they have to give up their rush lane and runners run right past them because they can`t get off the block.

Mathews is pathetic and Fili has made FEW plays in his almost 5 years. DUDS! Watch the beatdown the next 3 weeks our D will take when those 2 are in the game, especially together. The same every week.

The one playing beside Mathis will look Really bad.

I don't disagree that neither of them is very good. Like I said earlier, Moala is a respectable backup and Mathews just isn't very good at anything. people here constantly talk about our DE's need to pressure the QB, but that is not their job in our defense. If other 3-4 DE's are rushing the QB, it's most likely because they play a 1 gap 3-4 like the Texans. We need better DE's, there's no doubt about that, but we can't upgrade every position in 1 offseason. It will take time and many don't seem to understand that were not to that point yet. If in 2 more yrs. the Colts are as bad as they are right now in many positions, then people will have every right to be throwing a fit.

I'd just be happy that our DE's and NT could take up 4 of the 5 blockers and control the run lanes.  Let our Jack or blitzing DB get the QB sack/pressure.  Not seeing much of that either, but I don't get to see every game and it is a busy season for game rewind  (even though I have it)

BTW, that means our DE's usually play 4 tech then, and not 7 tech?

our de's don't play 5 tech all the time. RJF is usually lined up as a 3 tech. I think you might want to actually learn what our guys are doing before you are so bold

our de's don't play 5 tech all the time. RJF is usually lined up as a 3 tech. I think you might want to actually learn what our guys are doing before you are so bold

I know exactly what our guy's are doing. We do not ever play a 1 gap 3-4 where our DE's are rushing the QB. We use a 4 man front sometimes where they do try to rush the QB in passing situations. I also was not talking about RJF specifically because this thread is about Moala and Mathews. I know we line up in different formations sometimes, but in our 3-4, our DE's DO NOT rush the QB. Not try again trying to be a smart @ $ $.

I know exactly what our guy's are doing. We do not ever play a 1 gap 3-4 where our DE's are rushing the QB. We use a 4 man front sometimes where they do try to rush the QB in passing situations. I also was not talking about RJF specifically because this thread is about Moala and Mathews. I know we line up in different formations sometimes, but in our 3-4, our DE's DO NOT rush the QB. Not try again trying to be a smart @ $ $.

you are wrong

what exactly is your definition of rushing the passer? I think you are a bit confused here

I am speaking specifically of our 3 man front. When we are in a 3 man front our DE's job is not to rush the QB. It is to eat up blockers to let the lber's make the play. I am not speaking of our 4 man front at all, which is when RJF lines up as a 3 tech. Obviously, when we are in a 4 man front, it is a passing situation so they all rush the QB. That isn't what I'm talking about and I assure you I am not confused at all.

I am speaking specifically of our 3 man front. When we are in a 3 man front our DE's job is not to rush the QB. It is to eat up blockers to let the lber's make the play. I am not speaking of our 4 man front at all, which is when RJF lines up as a 3 tech. Obviously, when we are in a 4 man front, it is a passing situation so they all rush the QB. That isn't what I'm talking about and I assure you I am not confused at all.

ok

Yep you are wrong. RJF is lined up as a 3 most of the time. Check it out

Many times on third down and long (obvious passing situations) the Colts use Moala and Matthews to rush.

So apparently those two are being put on the field as "pass rushers"

I'm not talking about our 4 man fronts, which is what a 3 tech plays in. Not a 3 man front. I don't know why this keeps getting lost in translation.

I'm not talking about our 4 man fronts, which is what a 3 tech plays in. Not a 3 man front. I don't know why this keeps getting lost in translation.

because you don't understand where our weak side de (or dt) as we list them actually lines up in our 3 man fronts

is rjf lined up head on the tackle?

This is the last I'm going to argue about this because I know I'm right. You must keep thinking about 4 man fronts if you know what you're talking about because there isn't a 3 tech in a 3 man front.

3-Technique (4-3 Pass Rush Tackle) – Tommy Kelly

Probably the most well known of the defensive techniques, the 3-technique lines up shaded to the guard’s outside shoulder, ready to shoot the B-gap on his side of the formation. Various line shifts and defensive schemes have been developed with the express purpose of getting the 3-technique the most beneficial situation possible, which is why guys like Warren Sapp, John Randle, Keith Millard and now Ndamukong Suh have been able to rack-up sack numbers. The 4-3 Under front, discussed in our article on Hybrid defenses, was designed to isolate the weak side guard 1-on-1 with the 3-technique (or under) tackle. This player’s job is to penetrate the line of scrimmage through his B-gap and disrupt plays in the backfield, whether pass or run. Unlike the first two tackle positions, the 3-technique relies far more on speed and agility than brute strength. Oakland’s Tommy Kelly is arguably the NFL’s prototype for the position. At 6’6 and 300lbs he is quick, nimble and has the kind of burst off the ball that can make it tough for a blocker to recover position.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

When in our 3 man front, RJF is lined up as a 5 tech, 2 gap clogger. If you don't want to believe me, write in to Pagano's show, because I've heard him explain this several times.

This is the last I'm going to argue about this because I know I'm right. You must keep thinking about 4 man fronts if you know what you're talking about because there isn't a 3 tech in a 3 man front.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/08/12/defensive-line-techniques-the-prototypes/

When in our 3 man front, RJF is lined up as a 5 tech, 2 gap clogger. If you don't want to believe me, write in to Pagano's show, because I've heard him explain this several times.

lol. Yep. You just don't know. Watch the guy. Watch where he lines up.

We don't run a traditional 34 d.

lol. Yep. You just don't know. Watch the guy. Watch where he lines up.

We don't run a traditional 34 d.

Like I said, Have Pagano explain it to you, because I've heard him it say multiple times. Nothings gonna make you happy unless somebody tells you your right, which your not, but hey...whatever gets you off.

Like I said, Have Pagano explain it to you, because I've heard him it say multiple times. Nothings gonna make you happy unless somebody tells you your right, which your not, but hey...whatever gets you off.

or better yet. You can actually look at what is happening. How often a guy lines up as a 5 or a 3. Just watch Sunday. You will see