Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is pep being micro managed?

jbaron04

i think pags is limiting pep playing calling wanting to be a power run team no matter what, pags seems to be stubborn and inclined to not make changes until the owners tweets about it, if u guys remember the first 3 games of last yr when he was kind of limiting Bruce getting us behind in games and losing leads and what not, and it kind of the same thing this yr trying to be something u dont have the personnel for, then when we own 2 - 3 tds he lets luck loose ??  

i think pags is limiting pep playing calling wanting to be a power run team no matter what, pags seems to be stubborn and inclined to not make changes until the owners tweets about it, if u guys remember the first 3 games of last yr when he was kind of limiting Bruce getting us behind in games and losing leads and what not, and it kind of the same thing this yr trying to be something u dont have the personnel for, then when we own 2 - 3 tds he lets luck loose ??

Pep is the one in love with power running. That's what he knows.

Man some of you read a lot into nothing.

He pretty much said the Head Coach wants him to protect Luck and keep him up right.  You could say that for ANY coach in the NFL.

I know he also said that Pagano said he wants to run the ball but he also said Pagano wants him to score as well and said those things Pagano wants are in no particular order. 

However, again I think just about any coach in the NFL would say they want their offense to score, run the ball, the protect the QB.  Running the ball rests your defense while wearing out the other defense, scoring is obvious and protecting your QB not only keeps him healthy but makes passing the ball easier. 

I doubt he is being mirco-managed.....just required to model his offense around the philosophies of the head coach's system. Our offense was very conservative last year prior to Pagano's illness as well.

isnt that like the same thing doe???? if we played like we due when we was down all game we would never lose

I dont really think Pagano has as much to do with how the offense is ran as that statement sounds like he does, I think that was more of a general statement from Pep because of it being a general statement from Pagano to Pep

I agree, it sounds like he just gave Pep basic goals that he wants in the offense that is the same as any coach in the NFL, heck throw in "protect the football" and you could sub out what Pagano wants from his offense with any coach in the NFL.

isnt that like the same thing doe???? if we played like we due when we was down all game we would never lose

Not really the same thing......like any job, it is adjusting your style to the company philosophy.

The second part of what you said, I agree with. We are conservative in our play calling and our overall philosophy on offense (which is somewhat typical of head coaches with a defensive background). With Pags, a lot of times I feel as if we are playing not to lose, as opposed to, playing to win.

The first 3 games of the season, the play calling was very conservative. It didn't open up until Arians took over.

Luck averaged 41 passes a game those first three games.....safe to say Chuck left the playcalling up to Arians prior to Chuck being out

I agree, it sounds like he just gave Pep basic goals that he wants in the offense that is the same as any coach in the NFL, heck throw in "protect the football" and you could sub out what Pagano wants from his offense with any coach in the NFL.

Now I know this is just Training Camp but everytime I watch to see what Pagano was doing he was always with the defensive units or talking to defensive coaches and he did this throughout camp like it was a natural instinct, Now could that change during the season at practices? Sure....But I highly doubt it changes much at all, Pagano likely sticks to what he knows. Im sure he talks to the offensive side of the ball...He has to as a head coach but I highly doubt he is out there saying I want this...and that and this done this exact way

Luck averaged 41 passes a game those first three games.....safe to say Chuck left the playcalling up to Arians prior to Chuck being out

2 of those games we were playing from behind, so the pass attempt numbers were higher. I never said Pagano was calling the plays either. I said our offensive was conservative......which Chuck's style is. The coordinators are expected to work within the head coaches system and expectations. 

If you go back to the first 3 games of 2012, as I stated in a response to jbaron above, it was as if we were playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

Now I know this is just Training Camp but everytime I watch to see what Pagano was doing he was always with the defensive units or talking to defensive coaches and he did this throughout camp like it was a natural instinct, Now could that change during the season at practices? Sure....But I highly doubt it changes much at all, Pagano likely sticks to what he knows. Im sure he talks to the offensive side of the ball...He has to as a head coach but I highly doubt he is out there saying I want this...and that and this done this exact way

I am sure he does, I was just under scoring his "offensive direction" is very run of the mill coach speak for what any coach wants out of their offense.  It's pretty much, run the ball, protect the QB (which does imply passing the ball), and score.  Like I said throw in protect the football and you have any coach in the NFL's basic goals for the offense.  Nothing he said here was shocking or something that would make me think he's giving the offense "real" direction. 

Pep is way over his head.  He didn't interview well, couldn't answer all the questions, didn't know how to answer all the questions.  Need to let him go now, Mr Irsay, he is the reason why Luck is not producing, he is being turned into a mediocre quarterback....NOTE: Kubiak is on the market.  Pick him up now..

I actually believe that Pep, as a rookie OC, is doing the best he can with what he has at his disposal, while trying to remain within the overall philosophies being dictated to him from people with a higher paygrade than him. I wouldn't necessarily call that being micromanaged, but I do believe he has certain boundaries that have been dictated to him.

I think that with Pep, this year's experience with going against NFL defenses, getting back available weapons that he lost to injury this year, Trent hopefully getting his head right and the front office improving the o-line, his offense will be much more effective next year.

Adversity like this, is sometimes the best teacher in getting things to the next level.

Man some of you read a lot into nothing.

He pretty much said the Head Coach wants him to protect Luck and keep him up right. You could say that for ANY coach in the NFL.

I know he also said that Pagano said he wants to run the ball but he also said Pagano wants him to score as well and said those things Pagano wants are in no particular order.

However, again I think just about any coach in the NFL would say they want their offense to score, run the ball, the protect the QB. Running the ball rests your defense while wearing out the other defense, scoring is obvious and protecting your QB not only keeps him healthy but makes passing the ball easier.

Agreed. A lot of it just sounds like the normal coaches speak.

Heck if I was Pep I wouldnt listen to what gameplan pagano wants... if he is being micro managed ( which personally I think is a long shot). Then come up with your OWN gameplan that's creative and puts up a crap load of points. Play to win not to just hang on till the end..then if pags and irsay don't like it fine. Atleast YOU did your best..... if that is what's going on but like I said I do believe its a stretch to think it..

I kinda think he is being shackled a little. If anyone remembers, he was talking in one of his early interviews with the team about attacking the defense with multiple formations and schemes. He said we would run some pistol, some wildcat, etc, but then Pagano came out and shot that down through the press, saying we wouldn't run anything that exposed our QB to more hits. I think Pagano's approach to the game is prehistoric and he just needs to stay away from the offense all together, and maybe actually do something on defense besides patting guys on the back and clapping all game