Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Take the leash off of the QB...

IcyRhythms

It's possible that it's just me, and my memory fails me, but I remember us letting Luck have more control over the offense last year. Trent Richardson is a terrible RB. This guy has no vision. It's time for the Irsay and management to admit they made a mistake. Instead of trading away that first round pick, we should have kept it to put some godly men on the o-line. Brown has been more effective at the position and yet we continue to start Richardson as an every down back :-\

It's almost as if we don't want to show/admit that the Browns got the better end of the deal.

This team has went from being a legit threat in the AFC to having no identity. Fully capable team. A lot of talent on all sides of the ball, but the coaching staff clearly doesn't know how to utilize the pieces we have. Turn a nobody into a star. I think Pagano is a good coach, not a great one, and a very nice guy, but he's NOT a leader of men.

I've seen MANY opportunities in these games we've lost for Luck to run for the first down or gain a few extra yrds and I don't know what they're telling him on the sideline, but it's not the same thing he was told last year. Pep's offensive schemes in the NFL are not working out. I know management probably thought it was a good move derp derp Luck and Pep back together again *rolls eyes*

I think we can win next week, will likely lose to the Bengals, but surprisingly I can see us beating the Chiefs. That's been the story all year. The teams we should beat we struggle against or lose horribly, and the teams where the odds are stacked against us, we win...

Just a sad day. I wanted to say it against the loss to the Rams but I thought we could bounce back in a big way, but it's a fall from grace. Defense isn't playing as well, Luck continues to get no protection, coaching isn't doing well, and receivers have been dropping passes all year.

It's what Pagano wants, run the ball 40x and stop the run but yet were bad at both....  Pagano is a old school coach he wants a 13-10 type game and would be satisfied if Luck threw for only 150 yards. This isn't 1985 and were not the 85 bears you don't win games like that anymore.

Luck needs to start off the game with 4 to 5 passes to open up the run. We have two really good tackles, a young star WR, emerging TE, a slot WR in Whalen( who's not great but makes crucial catches), and a guy like Rogers with a lot of Talent that can't see the field because of the coach stubbornness. We have a vertical passing attack personnel, not a power running team.

It's what Pagano wants, run the ball 40x and stop the run but yet were bad at both....  Pagano is a old school coach he wants a 13-10 type game and would be satisfied if Luck threw for only 150 yards. This isn't 1985 and were not the 85 bears you don't win games like that anymore.

Luck needs to start off the game with 4 to 5 passes to open up the run. We have two really good tackles, a young star WR, emerging TE, a slot WR in Whalen( who's not great but makes crucial catches), and a guy like Rogers with a lot of Talent that can't see the field because of the coach stubbornness. We have a vertical passing attack personnel, not a power running team.

exactly right......I love coach Chuck..but he's disco-era..

I dont think the Stanford style offense.....which works great for them....is going to beat attack style teams..especially in warm weather and indoors...

But Chuck and Pep have to come to that conclusion...and coaches cant really ever admit they are wrong

A "power" running game ,to me, means your # 1 back is carrying the ball 25-30 x a game (establishing a rhythm) not by comittee. Until we give brown or trich the opportunity to establish themselves I really think its unfair to say we can or cant be a power running team. That being said , we also don't seem to be able to pick up on whats working for some reason. I have no real answers just observations and common football knowledge ,but it seems the "no-huddle" works and gives us more positive plays over the last 4 games than anything else. Fleener was eating up the cards (analysts all said Cards had probs w TE) but we didn't keep shoving him down their throat. I always thought you drove what was working down their throat till they take it away then hit em w something else. As far as Lucks leash he can go crazy all day but if no one can catch the balls it wont matter (same w no huddle) I think he just needs 1-2 more seconds and the difference would be night and day. Defense hasn't played the same since Toler went out now we are back to "cant tackle" total team failure but still fixable. GO COLTS!!

So you guys want to go back to Arians scheme of throwing the ball down the field. Isnt that what almost got Luck killed last year?

We have no #1 receiver a young #2 receiver 1 TE that is getting better at route running. We have a DHB whatever you wanna call him and practice squad receivers that cant get separated from a piece of toilet paper.

And a Oline that cant pass block for more than 1.5 seconds before Luck has to run for his life. Yet you all want him to throw the ball all over the field. Why do you think we have so many TEs in to block?

Like it or not we have to try to run the ball to keep Luck around till we get 2 or 3 more pieces on this Oline.

Coach does good with what few pieces we have left on this injury depleted squad. Remember we are rebuilding?

And I will PUKE the next time some kid says DaRick Rogers is the Colts savior. If he was that freaking good he would have started as soon as Reggie went down, not be behind Whalen, Brazil, Reed on the depth chart.

So you guys want to go back to Arians scheme of throwing the ball down the field. Isnt that what almost got Luck killed last year?

We have no #1 receiver a young #2 receiver 1 TE that is getting better at route running. We have a DHB whatever you wanna call him and practice squad receivers that cant get separated from a piece of toilet paper.

And a Oline that cant pass block for more than 1.5 seconds before Luck has to run for his life. Yet you all want him to throw the ball all over the field. Why do you think we have so many TEs in to block?

Like it or not we have to try to run the ball to keep Luck around till we get 2 or 3 more pieces on this Oline.

Coach does good with what few pieces we have left on this injury depleted squad. Remember we are rebuilding?

And I will PUKE the next time some kid says DaRick Rogers is the Colts savior. If he was that freaking good he would have started as soon as Reggie went down, not be behind Whalen, Brazil, Reed on the depth chart.

I think Luck has taken plenty of shots this year too....Did you notice that stuff on his Jersey yesterday?  At least if we design plays for him to get out the pocket, he might have a fighting chance.

I think Luck has taken plenty of shots this year too....Did you notice that stuff on his Jersey yesterday?  At least if we design plays for him to get out the pocket, he might have a fighting chance.

There's rarely a pocket to get Luck out of.

We most likely will make the playoff and be one and done again. When Reggie went down they had two weeks to try and trade for a good receiver, but they went with what we had. Poor decision. We have one decent wr receiver on this team and the rest are practice squad worthy.

He already blew it with the Richardson trade. We had no commodities to trade with by that point, without getting taken...AGAIN, that is

You talking about like the Texans do with their savior Case Keenum? That is winless now that other teams see what he does when you blitz him? That kind of plays?

Draw up a play and send it to Pep....

You talking about like the Texans do with their savior Case Keenum? That is winless now that other teams see what he does when you blitz him? That kind of plays?

Draw up a play and send it to Pep....

Obviously Pep can't be questioned, his offense is amazing!!! (not)  But let's stick with it, it's bound to work eventually!!!!

Obviously Pep can't be questioned, his offense is amazing!!! (not)  But let's stick with it, it's bound to work eventually!!!!

who said Pep can't be questioned or that his offense is amazing?  Good god...it does not have to be one extreme or the other.  there are more options than just "he's the best OC in the NFL" and "FIRE HIM!".    He's working with a sub-par (to be nice) Offensive line and working through numerous injuries to key personnel.  Much like the rest of the young Colts team, he's a work in progress.  

Luck most certainly looks better in an up-tempo, quick-passing offense.  He has for two years - scoring at the end of halves, coming from behind late in games.  Yet, we still hear this:  "Running the football is our identity."  No, it's not, Chuck.  Putting Luck in a hole every week, putting him in 2nd and long and 3rd and long constantly, then hoping he can bail you out at the end is your identity. 

who said Pep can't be questioned or that his offense is amazing?  Good god...it does not have to be one extreme or the other.  there are more options than just "he's the best OC in the NFL" and "FIRE HIM!".    He's working with a sub-par (to be nice) Offensive line and working through numerous injuries to key personnel.  Much like the rest of the young Colts team, he's a work in progress.  

I am just sick and tired of folks here labeling people as traitors because they aren't drinking the Koolaide.  This team has issues, some player based, some coaching based.  Can they be fixed?  I hope so.  But pretending there is not an 800,000 lb elephant in the room is foolish.  We have problems, and there has been no improvement to be seen.  That is the reality where we find ourselves now.

Hopefully things will change in the future.

(not to say you are guilty of this Jason, but just in general)

I am just sick and tired of folks here labeling people as traitors because they aren't drinking the Koolaide.  This team has issues, some player based, some coaching based.  Can they be fixed?  I hope so.  But pretending there is not an 800,000 lb elephant in the room is foolish.  We have problems, and there has been no improvement to be seen.  That is the reality where we find ourselves now.

Hopefully things will change in the future.

And I am sick and tired of people calling for everyone in the building to be fired every time the colts lose a game.  yes there are definitely issues but constant turnover in the coaching staff is NOT going to fix any of the issues.  the colts were not expected to be a competitor this soon into the rebuild.  The fact that they have shown that they can be competitors is the sign that we have a lot of talent on the team.  However they're also inconsistent which is fairly normal for a very young team, especially one with an inexperienced coaching staff.  Everyone with a clue should have expected there were going to be some bumps in the road, especially this early.  Now if the team is still playing like this in the next year or two then absolutely we could start talking about coaching changes.  But to call for Pep and Pagano to be fired in their first FULL year at their respective positions is just asinine.

Will agree with  this OL ,its only choice we have

I like the idea of STARTING with the hurry up offense. Helps Luck get in a rhythm, and gets the opposing defense on their toes. However, I don't think anything is going to fix our offensive issues until we get an O-line that can string together good blocking on consecutive plays instead of (maybe) once a drive...

Edit: Oops. Spelling.