Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Game overview (the knee jerk)

Surge89

I'll start off with what I'm down on:

1. Slow starts...  Not sure if its execution or coaching but these starts really bum me out.  The team plays way below their ability and just never look ready to play

2. The Kick Returner...  Please for all that is good in this world can there be a mix up and we forget this guy in Tenn?  Your basic job is to catch the kick... I have seen the ball hit the turf many a time...

3.  Trent Richardson...  I didn't like the trade to begin with, especially didn't like the pick we gave up...  But I think it is apparent Trent needs to do what Brown did and sit and learn Vision and patience.  The NFL has narrow spaces and you have to be able to anticipate that space seconds before it appears... It involves speed of the game, mental processing of oline assignments and honestly just quick enough reactions to react to circumstance on the line.  He doesn't have it... not yet...  He has all the ability in the world but if all he is going to do is either A. Run into his lineman or closed hole or B. hit the hole and not have the patience to anticipate a LB to fill and run into the LB, he will have a hard time succeeding at this level...

4. DHB...  This guy just doesn't have the mental to be an NFL receiver.

Now for what I am up on:

1.  Coby Fleener!  The guy just flat out proved me wrong.  He looked very unsettled all last year and early this year.  But man oh man is he stepping up into what he had the potential to be!  I still think Allen is the teams best TE when it comes to all round TE but Fleener is really making an impact as an offensive weapon!

2.  Andrew Luck!  He did not have a good game last week. But he showed that he is not the young player that will be in a slump and never learn.  He came out on target and for the most part good decisions.  His flaws are getting smaller and smaller as the weeks go on and it is just amazing to see.

3.  Donald Brown!  The man has finally learned how to run in the NFL.  Keep giving it to him.  20 Carries a game would be awesome.  At least give him his shot, and let Trent know that the job isn't automatically his.  I'm thinking Trent has a mental issue holding him back much the same as DHB.

4. Defense!  They played sloppy the 1st half and it was pretty bad.  But WOW did they play their tail off the 3rd and most of the 4th.  It is great to see a unit not give up and come back like that.

5. Coaches!  Whatever they said/did got this team to execute and turn it around.  I just wish it would have started from the beginning.

6.  Covering the loss of Reggie!  This ties into coaching but also a team effort should be awarded.  This team is slowly starting to find out how to make up for the loss of Reggie.  Having backs and TE's more involved in the game is covering the weak WR core like Reggie used to do.  If our running game comes back and we commit and punish like we did tonight in the 4th we will not miss Reggie as bad as the past 2 games.

Disagree with the defense. They let CJ run on them with ease in the 1st half, they never seemed to lay a finger on Fitzpatrick (let alone a sack), and they gave up a huge quick TD near the end of the game with several big pass plays. If Tennessee had gotten that onside kick, this would have been an entirely different forum complaining about the defense, but instead, special teams saved the day.

Speaking of special teams, you forgot to praise them. That fumble recovery to set us up with the quick strike TD was huge, especially considering Indy had huge momentum the following series. I know Tennessee's return man basically fumbled it himself, but it was our recovery that made it happen.

honestly, some of donald browns runs I look at and say, " how the heck did he find that hole"? This dude deserves at least 20 touches a game and eventually the starting role. His quickness is unrivaled, and now we have seen his vision and patience jump to a whole other level.

Really disappointed in Pagano he's really holding this team back from being great. Start off slow for the 3rd straight game is unexceptable. We have a top 5 QB in the league but he continues with his run the ball stop the run mentality. Running the ball is fine but you have to set up the run with 3 to 4 passes. Pagano is too old school of a coach to realize that. Luck is gonna have to start calling his own plays because when the division gets better next year, eventually it's gonna catch up to us.

Disagree with the defense. They let CJ run on them with ease in the 1st half, they never seemed to lay a finger on Fitzpatrick (let alone a sack), and they gave up a huge quick TD near the end of the game with several big pass plays. If Tennessee had gotten that onside kick, this would have been an entirely different forum complaining about the defense, but instead, special teams saved the day.

Speaking of special teams, you forgot to praise them. That fumble recovery to set us up with the quick strike TD was huge, especially considering Indy had huge momentum the following series. I know Tennessee's return man basically fumbled it himself, but it was our recovery that made it happen.

Indeed! Lets add them Special Teams did awesome!  Pat did have a horrid kick early but I think in a whole they did awesome too!

I also agree on the D that they were not consistent but I didn't praise them on anything but having the fight in them to come back into the game.  It could have been a very different ending if they decided to just not play like last week.  The forum would have been in meltdown based no most likely a 35 to 23 score lol.

Really disappointed in Pagano he's really holding this team back from being great. Start off slow for the 3rd straight game is unexceptable. We have a top 5 QB in the league but he continues with his run the ball stop the run mentality. Running the ball is fine but you have to set up the run with 3 to 4 passes. Pagano is too old school of a coach to realize that. Luck is gonna have to start calling his own plays because when the division gets better next year, eventually it's gonna catch up to us.

Wow do not agree with this.  While it might be Pagano at fault for slow starts he is not the reason why we are running the ball.  We are running the ball because THE OWNER WANTS IT and specifically brought in a RUN FIRST COACH to run his offense... Running the ball more will right this ship, just like the start of this season no matter what you choose to see or not.  Running the ball does way to much good to put the ball in Luck's hands.  You keep Luck safe, you drain time off the clock, you create play action opportunities, you keep our weak WR core covered, and most importantly you take Luck out of situations where he may turn the ball over!

Yeah, that's not really true

Wow do not agree with this.  While it might be Pagano at fault for slow starts he is not the reason why we are running the ball.  We are running the ball because THE OWNER WANTS IT and specifically brought in a RUN FIRST COACH to run his offense... Running the ball more will right this ship, just like the start of this season no matter what you choose to see or not.  Running the ball does way to much good to put the ball in Luck's hands.  You keep Luck safe, you drain time off the clock, you create play action opportunities, you keep our weak WR core covered, and most importantly you take Luck out of situations where he may turn the ball over!

Also the game turned around tonight once we started to be able to run the ball tonight and stop the run tonight. 

We don't know the division will get better. And won't we get better as well? I'd take that crystal ball back if I were you, it's defective.

1. Slow starts...  Not sure if its execution or coaching but these starts really bum me out.  The team plays way below their ability and just never look ready to play

2. The Kick Returner...  Please for all that is good in this world can there be a mix up and we forget this guy in Tenn?  Your basic job is to catch the kick... I have seen the ball hit the turf many a time...

3.  Trent Richardson...  I didn't like the trade to begin with, especially didn't like the pick we gave up...  But I think it is apparent Trent needs to do what Brown did and sit and learn Vision and patience.  The NFL has narrow spaces and you have to be able to anticipate that space seconds before it appears... It involves speed of the game, mental processing of oline assignments and honestly just quick enough reactions to react to circumstance on the line.  He doesn't have it... not yet...  He has all the ability in the world but if all he is going to do is either A. Run into his lineman or closed hole or B. hit the hole and not have the patience to anticipate a LB to fill and run into the LB, he will have a hard time succeeding at this level...

Now for what I am up on:

1.  Coby Fleener!  The guy just flat out proved me wrong.  He looked very unsettled all last year and early this year.  But man oh man is he stepping up into what he had the potential to be!  I still think Allen is the teams best TE when it comes to all round TE but Fleener is really making an impact as an offensive weapon!

2.  Andrew Luck!  He did not have a good game last week. But he showed that he is not the young player that will be in a slump and never learn.  He came out on target and for the most part good decisions.  His flaws are getting smaller and smaller as the weeks go on and it is just amazing to see.

3.  Donald Brown!  The man has finally learned how to run in the NFL.  Keep giving it to him.  20 Carries a game would be awesome.  At least give him his shot, and let Trent know that the job isn't automatically his.  I'm thinking Trent has a mental issue holding him back much the same as DHB.

4. Defense!  They played sloppy the 1st half and it was pretty bad.  But WOW did they play their tail off the 3rd and most of the 4th.  It is great to see a unit not give up and come back like that.

5. Coaches!  Whatever they said/did got this team to execute and turn it around.  I just wish it would have started from the beginning.

6.  Covering the loss of Reggie!  This ties into coaching but also a team effort should be awarded.  This team is slowly starting to find out how to make up for the loss of Reggie.  Having backs and TE's more involved in the game is covering the weak WR core like Reggie used to do.  If our running game comes back and we commit and punish like we did tonight in the 4th we will not miss Reggie as bad as the past 2 games.

I agree with most of this......running the ball and stopping the run in the second half turned the tide and opened up everything else.....and the slow starts should be a 5 star concern.......its a win, but I still come away from this game unconvinced we can compete with teams with winning records.....but ya' gotta crawl before you can walk I guess.

Now for what I am up on:

In regards to the slow starts Darius Butler said it best in the post game, they copied St Louis by running crossing and under routes, we played those poorly again and it seemed the coaches did not prepare a sound game plan for covering the TE Walker. Tip, next week be prepared for crossing routes until we show we can stop it.

Colts had 2 sacks.