Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McShay on Colts Draft Needs

Draft analysis: The Browns own the Colts' first-round pick following the Trent Richardson trade, but if Indianapolis goes in search of a receiver in the second round, it will find some quality options. Rutgers' Brandon Coleman is a huge target at 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. Wyoming's Robert Herron is smaller but possesses excellent speed and quickness. Ole Miss' Donte Moncrief reminds me of Anquan Boldin in that he has a thick, running back-type build. Moncrief has big, strong hands and deceptive speed.

-- Todd McShay

I am sure the Colts are gonna go after a WR in the offseason. I dont like the idea of adding one this early though. Take the cheaper option in Baldwin (Seattle) if he becomes available and take a run at a WR early in 2015

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think we will address WR in free agency and not the draft imo

I'd rather draft a WR and use free agent money on the o-line.

Yes granted we need a WR at this pot in the year Wayne is down till next season,,,,,,,,,But remember we have Wayne coming back , Bradshaw,,,,Ballard,Brown (OLine guy from Patriots),and a few others ,So it'll be like were are getting draft pick who can play,,,,,,,,,,Plus whoever we do draft,,,,,,,,It looks like at this point we 'll goWR but u never know who'll fall to us at our draft positions,,,,,,,,,We do need a WR  O-Line,,,,,DLine guy,,,,,,,,,,,,,,And we hope guys like TY and DHB Whalen Fleener can step up and be constant and pull the weight game after game,,,,,,,,,,Hope TY's performance is not every few games he'll also be drawing much more attention due to Wayne's absence every game,,,DHB gets open he just has to Fki ng hang onto the ball also has to stretch for the passes more And Luck has to be more on target on his passes to DHB many have been over thrown,and Waynes pas that ripped his knee apart was thrown short and that was Lucks fault.

Gordon and Blackmon have both been on the block previously. Trading a 3rd round pick for a 5th overall pick two years ago who is proven on the field but has issues is worth it if you can help him. Gordon is someone Grigson was previously interested and is proven to be good. Wayne is near the end of his career unfortunately and outside of Hilton there is nothing there in the receiving corps. Grigson obviously wants Holmes to come in and succeed but be may bring in another center. Gordon and Blackmon are both on rookie contacts and I doubt that either could command a giant contract with the fact that they could be suspended longterm.

Guest TeamLoloJones

The Colts only really need a center.

Yes, and a top flight center like Alex Mack would not be cheap, plus we may need a few extra bodies for depth, if we (hopefully) cut ties with Satele and let McGlynn walk.  I'm all for drafting and developing skill players, but I want a dominant o-line, AND I WANT IT NOW. haha

Gordon and Blackmon have both been on the block previously. Trading a 3rd round pick for a 5th overall pick two years ago who is proven on the field but has issues is worth it if you can help him. Gordon is someone Grigson was previously interested and is proven to be good. Wayne is near the end of his career unfortunately and outside of Hilton there is nothing there in the receiving corps. Grigson obviously wants Holmes to come in and succeed but be may bring in another center. Gordon and Blackmon are both on rookie contacts and I doubt that either could command a giant contract with the fact that they could be suspended longterm.

This isnt the Colts of old! They should focus their money and draft picks on D and the OL.

This isnt the Colts of old! They should focus their money and draft picks on D and the OL.

Defense is easier if you have a lead. I agree that the o-line needs help but 3 of the 5 positions are already taken care of. When Donald Thomas comes back that could take care of 4 positions and Alex Mack/Khaled Holmes would be the 5th. Given some time and depth the offensive line will look much better just with the subtraction of McGlynn and Satele in exchange for someone average.

Depends on the definition of "quality". The same could be said of the draft BTW, if you look at the latest draft years (2010 - 2013)

I'm just saying it seems most guys of that quality resign for depth on their current team or sign with a team where they have a chance to start. If you want depth for the Oline it's usually done thru draft or guys that have been cut.

Mhhm another smurf with Lucks inconsistent ball placement and high throws......That will do the trick. :thmsup:  I think some people are forgetting just how many  circus like catches Wayne had to make do to poorly thrown balls, Not a knock on Luck, I expect he gets better at that but it is what it is, dont need another smurf, we need a tall TALENTED wr that can go up and get the ball as well as separate from physical Corners

Guest TeamLoloJones

Mhhm another smurf with Lucks inconsistent ball placement and high throws......That will do the trick. :thmsup:  I think some people are forgetting just how many  circus like catches Wayne had to make do to poorly thrown balls, Not a knock on Luck, I expect he gets better at that but it is what it is, dont need another smurf, we need a tall TALENTED wr that can go up and get the ball as well as separate from physical Corners

Coby showed us Sunday night on the 2 pt. that having a huge target in the red zone is a nice commodity to have.

I still think we go ILB in the 2nd round we need a play maker at the position. Angerer and Conner are inconsistent and both are free agents. We still could go WR in the 3rd but i would rather get a DE or CB then sign Maclin in free agency. Would be great if we could get Alex Mack as well to Bolster the interior.

We should either trade for Stephen Hill or draft Allen Robinson from Penn State with a 3rd to fill the WR need.

For a 2nd, if he falls, I would take Bradley Roby.

For 5th, 6th and 7th I would take Sean Parker, Tyler Larsen and Corneilus Lucas respectively and take with our compensationary pick Carlos Hyde.

How are we going to know anything on Holmes when they wont give him a chance to play and prove himself.

Well, the guys who decide who plays in the games see Homes every day. What you and I think, and anyone else on the forum, doesn't matter. Could it be that the coaching staff doesn't think Homes would be the best option available?

And why is everyone in here so convinced that we'll be fine with Thornton suddenly? From what I saw sunday night.... It wasn't a very impressive performance he put up. If he can step it up, fine by me, but to think that we've found a a key player for the O-line of the future, based on what we have actually seen him play.. That's stretching it.

How are we going to know anything on Holmes when they wont give him a chance to play and prove himself.

Grigson and Pagano have seen him in practice. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jeff Saturday but if they think he has a future as a starter then he'll be a starter and if not then Grigson will have to find another one.

A guy like Anquan Boldin sounds fine.  We need a big strong guy who can run good routes and has sure hands.  We have enough of the small speedy guys.  

As far as trading for Blackmon. . . I'd trade a 7th for him because of his upside.  But he's been in so much trouble with drugs he's just not worth a Day 2 pick.  

Grigson and Pagano have seen him in practice. I'm not saying he's going to be the next Jeff Saturday but if they think he has a future as a starter then he'll be a starter and if not then Grigson will have to find another one.

He's been kept on the roster the whole time but also suspiciously off the field, even with our struggles at center.  When Satele goes down they just rotate McGlynn over.

So I would guess they think he can do it but for one reason or another isn't ready yet.   

He's been kept on the roster the whole time but also suspiciously off the field, even with our struggles at center.  When Satele goes down they just rotate McGlynn over.

So I would guess they think he can do it but for one reason or another isn't ready yet.   

That's what I was trying to explain. This year Satele is our center however unfortunately barring injury. If Grigson and Pagano think that Holmes will be the answer next year then he'll be the starter and if not they'll get someone else.

The above all assumes that Werner is a force rushing the passer.. right ?

I'm operating under the assumption that Pagano is trying to build a Raven-like defense. If that is true and it seems to stand given the comparisons between players then Werner would be most likely to receive a role similar to Terrell Suggs.

I'm operating under the assumption that Pagano is trying to build a Raven-like defense. If that is true and it seems to stand given the comparisons between players then Werner would be most likely to receive a role similar to Terrell Suggs.

I think he is a year or 2 from having a break out really given the time he had missed do to injury and the time it could take for him to fully recover

I think he is a year or 2 from having a break out really given the time he had missed do to injury and the time it could take for him to fully recover

I agree. I'm not saying that Werner needs to be playing as well as someone who won DPOY a mere few years ago, im simply saying that's the role in the defense he will play.