Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article - Colts will regret Richardson trade

Everyone

There's a lot of opinions I'll entertain. Chadiha isn't one of them. Won't know how good/bad this trade is until next year, and even then, won't know who Colts would have picked and whether that player was a bust. But Trent's numbers have more to do with how we utilize him and our OL blocks than anything else.

You keep holding on to that nonsensical trash. Have fun with that. 

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You keep holding on to that nonsensical trash. Have fun with that. 

Oh, I forgot about you because you only come on to the Trent Richardson articles in an effort to chest thump and play the "we win the trade" game.  But in all sincerity, you're up there with Chadiha.  Flamboyant hyperbole and little substance.

Oh, I forgot about you because you only come on to the Trent Richardson articles in an effort to chest thump and play the "we win the trade" game. But in all sincerity, you're up there with Chadiha. Literary theatrics and little substance.

No no no. He's just doing a civil service. Informing the masses about Richardson. He has no personally feelings about him at all. Just pure unfiltered objectivity.

No no no. He's just doing a civil service. Informing the masses about Richardson. He has no personally feelings about him at all. Just pure unfiltered objectivity.

What's funny is they were trying to say Willis was running the same as Trent. Watched the game and he wasn't doing squat. Their only relevant cause their D and passing game. Looks like weeden was the problem. I like Trent and personally don't care what browns fan or our own fans have to say for that matter.

What's funny is they were trying to say Willis was running the same as Trent. Watched the game and he wasn't doing squat. Their only relevant cause their D and passing game. Looks like weeden was the problem. I like Trent and personally don't care what browns fan or our own fans have to say for that matter.

I think Trent has been playing well honestly. But I didn't expect him to come in and put up 100yrd game after 100yrd game. He's running hard, blocking hard, and when given space he's proving hard to tackle one on one.

Is he playing tremendous? No. But him and Brown together have proven to be a tough tandem to consistently deal with. As soon as you get used to Trent's running style. Donald gashes you for 10yrds.

If we didn't have Trent it would be just Donald. That's not a recipe for success IMO, with all the injuries we've had.

so after another disappointing game from richardson, you have to attack the poster not the points he makes. that's what happens when you run out of excuses. he has an opinion just like you do, why can't you just accept that? you don't have to agree with it.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I think Trent has been playing well honestly. But I didn't expect him to come in and put up 100yrd game after 100yrd game. He's running hard, blocking hard, and when given space he's proving hard to tackle one on one.

Is he playing tremendous? No. But him and Brown together have proven to be a tough tandem to consistently deal with. As soon as you get used to Trent's running style. Donald gashes you for 10yrds.

If we didn't have Trent it would be just Donald. That's not a recipe for success IMO, with all the injuries we've had.

I know the Trent trade doesn't look great right now, but c'mon guys let's not kid oursevles, we don't have a very good interior line. Satele is horrible, McGlynn is not any better, and Thornton (who I think will be great) is a rookie.  Until we have an offensive line that can actually block, I'm not judging TRich one iota. 

Look, I am not sold on the trade one way or the other. Not enough of a sample size as a Colt to truly make a determination. Having said that, how is it dumb that someone questions his explosiveness? Where have you seen that from his to this point?

Explosiveness doesn't matter when you don't hit the right holes.

so after another disappointing game from richardson, you have to attack the poster not the points he makes. that's what happens when you run out of excuses. he has an opinion just like you do, why can't you just accept that? you don't have to agree with it.

This goes way beyond the comment made today or his opinion for that matter.  He's just as guilty as we are.  Please Husker, I enjoy tlaking to you.  So don't get in the middle of this one and certainly don't defend him without also defending us from what he says.

Explosiveness doesn't matter when you don't hit the right holes.

He does hit them when they are there.  At times he's not always decisive, so part of the blame falls on him.  The other part of the time is he has guys in his face as he's getting the handoff.  It's not all on Trent and it's not all on the OL.  And Pep deserves some of the blame as well.  He's predictable far to often.  Trent's used primarily in the run heavy sets.  And the D automatically stacks more guys in the box because they don't have as many WR threats on the edge.   So if I look at the formation and know with reasonable accuracy what Pep will do, I know the entire opposing defense can (and with more accuracy for that matter).

nobody expects any back to get 100 yards every game, but he has been terrible running the ball. do you watch the games? do you see the blocking assignments he blows? the last one was last night. donald brown misses one block and posters destroy him, but everyone is giving richardson a pass.

it wouldn't be just brown. someone else would have been signed, done just as good as richardson, and the colts would have their #1 pick.

This goes way beyond the comment made today or his opinion for that matter.  He's just as guilty as we are.  Please Husker, I enjoy tlaking to you.  So don't get in the middle of this one and certainly don't defend him without also defending us from what he says.

i remember his first couple posts, and they were factual without any insults to the colts fans. posters here started attacking him for being a browns fan, and things that had nothing to do with richardsons past and present play. has he responded in the same way, absolutely. i wish everyone would stop and just debate the facts.

He does hit them when they are there. 

no he doesn't. people have shown this many times here and on tv. he runs where the play was designed to run whether the hole is there or not. good rb's find the hole wherever it is (not every time). the top backs do this more often and break the big runs. you can't learn this skill, you ether have it or you don't.

I agree 100%!

no he doesn't. people have shown this many times here and on tv. he runs where the play was designed to run whether the hole is there or not. good rb's find the hole wherever it is (not every time). the top backs do this more often and break the big runs. you can't learn this skill, you ether have it or you don't.

Sorry bro, friend of mine is a huge Vikings fan. AP finds holes. But even he said he has been getting shut down. He might break one run but the rest of the game is bottled up. Trent is doing exactly as Pep is having him do. I blame Pep more so than Trent it was pretty obvious last night.

I don't have to agree. Which I didn't. Because I've already hashed it out with said poster.

Good on me right lol?

I also didn't attack anyone, but sure whatever rhetoric you feel most comfortable with.

I felt like Richardson had a fairly decent game on limited carries actually, Only 2 - runs on 8 carries, He had some ups and downs.

1st run of the game for Richardson- Reed held outside contain forcing Richardson to keep it to the inside where Watt and Smith quickly disposed of Mcglynn and Thornton to make the plat-Bad blocking on that play

2nd run- Richardson gained 7 yards following Castonzo on a lead block and hurdling the Corner diving at his feet on the play

3rd run- This is the type of run Im talking about from him-he got 4 yards on the play after running into the back of Cherilus who did not get a good block, But on the play Brooks Reed over pursuited and Havili made the block on the play, The overpursuit left a gaping hole on the play but he kept it inside and turned what would have been a significantly bigger gain into a 4 yarder...although to his credit that went for a 1st down

4th-He kept the run to the inside when I thought he should have bounced in out right- He gained 3 yards on the play and I'd take it, it was a tough run where he kind of snaked through a small opening but I think that he could have got around the right end

5-It looked like he was following the lead block of Havili who got stood up on the play so he ended up jump cutting and appeared to want to cut it back left where Sharpton was waiting on the play, He appeared to almost come to a complete stop on the play after where he was initially looked to be going was plugged up, at that point it appeared cutting it around the rright end would have been the better choice

6-was a run out of a power formation behind Cherilus and a pulling Thornton that went for 5 yards, it was effective on a 1st down play, good run

7-A run up the middle(which looked to be designed to go behind RG but Watt foiled that idea) where Watt just disposed of Castonzo very quickly and got into the backfield stuffing Richardson for -1 yards....Just poor run blocking on that play

8-Not a good play call in my opinion on a 2nd and 11-I think you try to throw it for short yardage, a play that would be the equivalent of a run play but from a pass giving a short yardage situation on 3rd down where we could have tried to run it for the 1st down, Now the Texans likely still take the timeout after the gain to stop the clock but if you gain some good yards on that 2nd down play then make it much much tougher for them to try to stop us on 3rd down, Just my personal opinion, ya go for a kill shot on that play and get the 1st, if not no harm no foul, ya got another down to work with

nobody expects any back to get 100 yards every game, but he has been terrible running the ball. do you watch the games? do you see the blocking assignments he blows? the last one was last night. donald brown misses one block and posters destroy him, but everyone is giving richardson a pass.

it wouldn't be just brown. someone else would have been signed, done just as good as richardson, and the colts would have their #1 pick.

Naw I don't watch the games. The pictures and sounds are too much for my brain to handle.

You can be disappointed and gloss over any and all positives he brings, and focus on the negative. But I find that highly counter productive. No player is perfect. But if he has positives he can build on, like being a better blocker than Brown, or more difficult to being down then Brown. I prefer focusing on those things.

I do love the irony of you complaining about people bashing Donald for his mistakes, when all you do is spend your time bashing Trent lmao.

Pot kettle?

We've already had this conversation before and there's really no reason to waste either of our times rehashing the same things over and over again.  As for BnP, the only reason I first responded to him was because he insulted the entire Colts fan base and it went downhill from there.  I can take negative comments and criticism of my team and have a conversation without it getting personal simply because someone disagrees with me.  But if you are basically calling the entire Colts fanbase stupid for their opinion and then calling all of your opinions a model of objectivity, you've crossed the line. BnP deserves any backlash he gets when we're discussing Trent Richardson.

I felt like Richardson had a fairly decent game on limited carries actually, Only 2 - runs on 8 carries, He had some ups and downs.

1st run of the game for Richardson- Reed held outside contain forcing Richardson to keep it to the inside where Watt and Smith quickly disposed of Mcglynn and Thornton to make the plat-Bad blocking on that play

2nd run- Richardson gained 7 yards following Castonzo on a lead block and hurdling the Corner diving at his feet on the play

3rd run- This is the type of run Im talking about from him-he got 4 yards on the play after running into the back of Cherilus who did not get a good block, But on the play Brooks Reed over pursuited and Havili made the block on the play, The overpursuit left a gaping hole on the play but he kept it inside and turned what would have been a significantly bigger gain into a 4 yarder...although to his credit that went for a 1st down

4th-He kept the run to the inside when I thought he should have bounced in out right- He gained 3 yards on the play and I'd take it, it was a tough run where he kind of snaked through a small opening but I think that he could have got around the right end

5-It looked like he was following the lead block of Havili who got stood up on the play so he ended up jump cutting and appeared to want to cut it back left where Sharpton was waiting on the play, He appeared to almost come to a complete stop on the play after where he was initially looked to be going was plugged up, at that point it appeared cutting it around the rright end would have been the better choice

6-was a run out of a power formation behind Cherilus and a pulling Thornton that went for 5 yards, it was effective on a 1st down play, good run

7-A run up the middle(which looked to be designed to go behind RG but Watt foiled that idea) where Watt just disposed of Castonzo very quickly and got into the backfield stuffing Richardson for -1 yards....Just poor run blocking on that play

8-Not a good play call in my opinion on a 2nd and 11-I think you try to throw it for short yardage, a play that would be the equivalent of a run play but from a pass giving a short yardage situation on 3rd down where we could have tried to run it for the 1st down, Now the Texans likely still take the timeout after the gain to stop the clock but if you gain some good yards on that 2nd down play then make it much much tougher for them to try to stop us on 3rd down, Just my personal opinion, ya go for a kill shot on that play and get the 1st, if not no harm no foul, ya got another down to work with

Good post! What I really liked was passing to him. I think he's a much better weapon used right.

We've already had this conversation before and there's really no reason to waste either of our times rehashing the same things over and over again.  As for BnP, the only reason I first responded to him was because he insulted the entire Colts fan base and it went downhill from there.  I can take negative comments and criticism of my team and have a conversation without it getting personal simply because someone disagrees with me.  But if you are basically calling the entire Colts fanbase stupid for their opinion and then calling all of your opinions a model of objectivity, you've crossed the line. BnP deserves any backlash he gets when we're discussing Trent Richardson.

I am amazed at just how horrible your posts are. "called the entire colts fanbase stupid". Provide that link for us to show us where I said that. 

I'll be waiting and we both know you'll never be able to produce a direct quote of me saying anything even remotely close. The only thing you MIGHT produce is me saying "Browns fans made the same excuses for this guy".

Other than that, you're flat out making up lies to try and win a losing argument. I objectively broke down Richardsons game and because I come to the conclusion that he just isn't very good, that makes me biased. LOL

No ...you're the only one to watch the games and know what's really happening. Very annoying and condescending.

Like I said before. Browns fans made the same lame excuses I am seeing on here. So is the entire NFL wrong or was it Browns and now Colts fans not seeing things clearly?

I'll give the Colts coaching staff credit, they see it too, which is why his carries have been less and less. 

I am amazed at just how horrible your posts are. "called the entire colts fanbase stupid". Provide that link for us to show us where I said that. 

I'll be waiting and we both know you'll never be able to produce a direct quote of me saying anything even remotely close. The only thing you MIGHT produce is me saying "Browns fans made the same excuses for this guy".

Other than that, you're flat out making up lies to try and win a losing argument. I objectively broke down Richardsons game and because I come to the conclusion that he just isn't very good, that makes me biased. LOL

Did anyone mention that your side is paying better than 50% of his salary ? Give the situation a little time and everyone will see how the trade works out. Maybe good for the Browns , bad for the Colts, Maybe good for both teams .. let's see what he can do when given a little room to run. 

You also don't really know the value of the player you get in the next draft. For instance , we drafted Werner at 1.24 last year and if I could keep him or TR , I probably would go with TR. 

Did anyone mention that your side is paying better than 50% of his salary ? Give the situation a little time and everyone will see how the trade works out. Maybe good for the Browns , bad for the Colts, Maybe good for both teams .. let's see what he can do when given a little room to run. 

You also don't really know the value of the player you get in the next draft. For instance , we drafted Werner at 1.24 last year and if I could keep him or TR , I probably would go with TR. 

I never even brought the trade up in my first post here. I didn't bring the trade up until it was mentioned to me. 

This is my first post on this board.

http://forums.colts.com/topic/21441-my-take-on-t-rich/page-2#entry589831

Good post! What I really liked was passing to him. I think he's a much better weapon used right.

I still think at this point and time Brown is the better Back because I think he understands blocking angles better it seems and despite what some say can get you tough yards just not on an every down basis like Trent do to the size difference, Trent certainly has the bigger upside no question, his measurables show that but right now from a pure running back stand point Browns better but Richardson likely gets better over time....I think he has the potential to lead the league in rushing yards(the raw physical talent that is) but I would not call him elite. If he improves his vision and looks to try to avoid contact on some runs instead of creating it at times then he will improve leaps and bounds but for example the play where he turned his back trying to barrel through bodies on his fumble vs the Broncos was just a bad decision, No not great blocking on the play but there was a hole he looked right at before cutting right, When he improves that then the sky could be the limit but as a running back you make your money creating something out of nothing not just following where a hole is supposed to open up but going to where a hole IS open

If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.  I'll be a bit more civil about it.  Honestly, whoever started it, it doesn't matter, but if it was me, then I was in the wrong.  Like I said, I'll be more civil about it and we can keep it to just football.  I still stand by what I said about your definition of objective.  We can both have objective and conflicting opinions on Trent.  But just because you call your own opinion objective because you find it to be the "correct" opinion doesn't mean anything.  Just call it an opinion, because that's what it really is.  I say Trent needs more time to get acclimated with teh system.  Doesn't happen overnight.  Vontae Davis got burned all last year after we acquired him.  this year, he's been an excellent CB this year and miles better than last year. 

As has been argued before, you may not "learn" vision, just as a CB doesn't "learn" awareness.  You either have it or you don't.  But what you DO learn, is how to make those reads within the confines of your system, and that takes time.  It took Vontae half the 2012 season plus the following offseason to do it and be effective.  Trent deserves the same amount of time before any opinion on him can be trusted, especially since he's had 3 different HCs/OCs/RB coaches in the past year nad a half.  If Grigson and Pagano like where he's at, I'll take their word on it.  They've been right on most of our other players that we questioned before. 

Sometimes we get caught up in these extremes, coupled with the tendency to make our minds up too quickly and then never objectively reassess our viewpoint. Leads to a bunch of nonsense.

In fairness to Richardson, switching teams midseason is tough. And coming to a team with a questionable interior line is tough. And having a coaching staff trying to establish a power run scheme despite the seemingly insurmountable challenges is tough (by the way, I firmly believe that you only become a dominant running team by forcing the issue, but I'm not sure we have the necessary pieces right now; it really sucks losing Thomas). But he is being outplayed by the forum's favorite whipping boy, and that's unmistakable. Really, I think Richardson's impact will be clear. I think we'll be better from having him, especially after we lost Bradshaw (DB would have been our lead back, guys; we've seen that  movie before). 

But I think I'd rather have one of the big time playmakers that stands to get drafted at the end of the first round, guys like DeAndre Hopkins or Cordarelle Patterson. Or a trench guy like Sylvester Williams or Travis Frederick. Alec Ogletree has been very good for the Rams, better than our ILBs have been (outside of Freeman, and in fairness, Angerer has had a couple really good games this year). It's not a fair comparison, but even Giovani Bernard has been better than Richardson.

To me, this trade will always be judged based on what talent we're not going to be able to draft in 2014. We're better off with Richardson right now, but are we missing out on a future #1 receiver, or a standout linebacker, or a highly rated interior lineman? And if so, is having even a standout running back worth that sacrifice, given the state of the game? I always felt that giving up a first rounder was too much for a running back. Knowing that we'd be way up the creek if not for this trade makes me less willing to criticize it, but I think I'm going to be kind of irritated come May 8.

If I misunderstood you, then I apologize.  I'll be a bit more civil about it.  Honestly, whoever started it, it doesn't matter, but if it was me, then I was in the wrong.  Like I said, I'll be more civil about it and we can keep it to just football.  I still stand by what I said about your definition of objective.  We can both have objective and conflicting opinions on Trent.  But just because you call your own opinion objective because you find it to be the "correct" opinion doesn't mean anything.  Just call it an opinion, because that's what it really is.  I say Trent needs more time to get acclimated with teh system.  Doesn't happen overnight.  Vontae Davis got burned all last year after we acquired him.  this year, he's been an excellent CB this year and miles better than last year. 

As has been argued before, you may not "learn" vision, just as a CB doesn't "learn" awareness.  You either have it or you don't.  But what you DO learn, is how to make those reads within the confines of your system, and that takes time.  It took Vontae half the 2012 season plus the following offseason to do it and be effective.  Trent deserves the same amount of time before any opinion on him can be trusted, especially since he's had 3 different HCs/OCs/RB coaches in the past year nad a half.  If Grigson and Pagano like where he's at, I'll take their word on it.  They've been right on most of our other players that we questioned before. 

I respect that and I will refrain from getting as defensive as I have in the future. 

You're right, he probably does need more time in the system. Donald Brown appears to have the light turned on at this point. He's a good kid and maybe he does break out eventually. I don't see that happening but it's absolutely possible. Unfortunately at this point he's a backup running back/Goal line back until he figures it out because let's be real, he hasn't been good in pass pro and he isn't getting it done right now. 

The Colts are winning, so it really has hushed what would be an uproar if they were losing in my opinion. 

I respect that and I will refrain from getting as defensive as I have in the future. 

You're right, he probably does need more time in the system. Donald Brown appears to have the light turned on at this point. He's a good kid and maybe he does break out eventually. I don't see that happening but it's absolutely possible. Unfortunately at this point he's a backup running back/Goal line back until he figures it out because let's be real, he hasn't been good in pass pro and he isn't getting it done right now. 

The Colts are winning, so it really has hushed what would be an uproar if they were losing in my opinion. 

If we were losing - like Texans style - I can't imagine the pandemonium on these websites.  And I woudln't even have a leg to stand on.  I could be hopeful for Trent, but the moral victories always play second string to the actual victories.  The only evidence you'll ever need for that is to see these forums the day after a loss.  You'd have thought we went out, lost a football game, broke luck's arm, and then went on a mass murder spree on kittens and puppies.

As far as Trent breaking out, I dunno.  I see the potential there, but it's just that, potential.  I could have the most potential in teh world to be the President, but I'm never going into politics, so that's potential lost.  Same with Trent or any other player for that matter.  It's there, and you see him make plays on occasion, but then on others, he doesn't.  And then there's others where he does, but he's got nowhere to go.  And our play calling isn't doing him any favors either.  Pep I think tries too hard to make Trent the clear "power" back and Donald the clear "change of pace" back and we become predictable because of it.  If we used them more interchangeably, scheming toward each guy's strengths, I think we get more production out of both of them.  Not to mention, we're not doing the ground and pound thing while we're down 14-0 still looking for weaknesses in the opposing D. 

I saw Trent go 5 to 6 yards or more beyond what I thought was even humanly possible on occasions, in fact....in a manner that I haven't seen that ability since Edge was here before his injury.

I think he is a rolling ball of butcher knives. I dont frankly care who thinks he sucks or wasn't worth the trade.

I am proud to see him in a Colt uni. Fuhhh real.

But if he has positives he can build on, like being a better blocker than Brown, or more difficult to being down then Brown. I prefer focusing on those things.

I do love the irony of you complaining about people bashing Donald for his mistakes, when all you do is spend your time bashing Trent lmao.

Pot kettle?

first, he is not a better blocker than brown.

second, i agree, he is more difficult to bring down because he is bigger.

third, when did i complain about people bashing brown? i said people were bashing his blocking ability for ONE missed block. richardson has missed several blocking assignments and had 6 games to improve his running stats and completely failed.

third, when did i complain about people bashing brown? i said people were bashing his blocking ability for ONE missed block. richardson has missed several blocking assignments and had 6 games to improve his running stats and completely failed.

1) He absolutely is a better blocker. On size alone I would give him the nod. Not to mention he is still learning the system and schemes week to week.

2) You brought up people crushing Brown to state how it was unfair. Though the same thing can be said about every comment you make about about Trent. It's funny, because it's ironic see?

3) If you disagree with my opinion feel free to ignore me :). Because your opinion is no more right then mine. There is no correct opinion in this instance.

I think he is way better than Brown as a blocker. Do you ever watch any games? Seriously man come on

I think he is way better than Brown as a blocker. Do you ever watch any games? Seriously man come on

Yeah I've seen him stone wall blitzing backers. The sack he have up he went to block and it looked like the linemen had him so he went to block the other guy in the left. The guy on the right broke free and got Luck. He messed up once that I saw. Another thing. I blame Pep for not taking advantage of them bringing the house. Pep is just getting out coached by the d coordinators. IMO of course ;)