Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The run game

jwilli69

I know we don't have the greatest Oline but the coaches have to figure out how to best use Richardson and mix in Brown better if we plan on elevating the level of play even more. Predictable and uncreative IMO on the coaches. That's my only complaint to this game, and many of our others is the use and situations they use these two guys.

What I would like to see, split both rb's in the backfield when trying to salt a game, that way the teams can key on just one guy and either can go out wide to confuse an get mismatches. Gotta quit the tight formations to run in and expect to blow people off the ball with 9 man fronts. We aren't that strong up front.

Rant off. And yes, we won.

But again, I am not just picking out this game alone, as an overall body of work, I have not been impressed with how/when they have used these backs at times. It's like they believe they have an Oline who can blow off the ball and manhandle the other side when we know the middle for sure is weak. Pep is new to the NFL but he has to adapt a little better and if you are going to have 2 rb's playing at times, you better get them in under the correct situational use and I don't feel they are doing that consistent enough...yet. Time=learning.

I too found myself saying OMG give it to RICHARDSON! your on the 2 yd LINE!

The running game still needs help. Trent is still learning the system, and probably will have to till he is trusted by Andrew ~ bla bla bla

Trent is a beast no doubt ~

And I swear I thought they were going to call Ryan Deim (spelling)  the false start king's name a few times last night! ROFL  Just messing with ya Ryan!

Well so far we have used him in many of the ways people on the forum have suggested....1 Back sets 3 wide, with a FB, in the slot, Gave him pitch outs to get him in space, tried throwing him the ball.....At some point ya just got to realize he has alot of work to do to improve as a running back......Like running AWAY from contact instead of barreling right into it

The running game still needs help. Trent is still learning the system, and probably will have to till he is trusted by Andrew ~ bla bla bla

And I swear I thought they were going to call Ryan Deim (spelling)  the false start king's name a few times last night! ROFL  Just messing with ya Ryan!

Huh?

I think the run game looked more than adequate in the first half. Thats what happens when we let Luck's passing take the lead.

I gotta agree, it looked good in the first half both brown and Richardson picked up a couple 8 to 10 yard gains on their runs. but the run game was expected to look bad against a team who had the best run defense in the NFL only giving up an average of 3.2 yards a carry

Our interior needs help. Another G which hopefully can be Thomas when he's healthy next year and a center whether that's Holmes or someone else. It seems to me to that we gotta get better at getting to the second level and picking up those blocks.

It's way more than getting to the second level, it's allowing the RB out of the backfield. We certainly need improvement of the RG and C next year. I'm not optimistic that Holmes is going to be that guy at this point if he hasn't sniffed any playing time with as bad as our RG and center have been and we keep using Mcfly and Link at those spots along with Satele.

I know we don't have the greatest Oline but the coaches have to figure out how to best use Richardson and mix in Brown better if we plan on elevating the level of play even more. Predictable and uncreative IMO on the coaches. That's my only complaint to this game, and many of our others is the use and situations they use these two guys.

What I would like to see, split both rb's in the backfield when trying to salt a game, that way the teams can key on just one guy and either can go out wide to confuse an get mismatches. Gotta quit the tight formations to run in and expect to blow people off the ball with 9 man fronts. We aren't that strong up front.

Rant off. And yes, we won.

Richardson is clearly struggling and you will sit if you fumble..

.....its all up to Donald Brown.

Isnt that ironic?

But we need to read situations better..

Brown on passing downs....and some first downs..

Richardson on most run downs (1st or 2nd) and all short yardage.

But Donald Brown is doing fine

Come on now, the Colts just played the no.1 rush defense in the game going into week 7. I thought they looked very well considering that aspect. Richardson could have done better but he really didn't have anywhere to run. I definitely wasnt impressed with his turnover which led to points. He also needs to keep his feet moving and take less time to think. I think he over thinks and tat why he it's somewhat hesitant come out of the back. But one thing for sure he had nowhere to go. Yes, the Oline needs much work on opening holes.

Come on now, the Colts just played the no.1 rush defense in the game going into week 7. I thought they looked very well considering that aspect. Richardson could have done better but he really didn't have anywhere to run. I definitely wasnt impressed with his turnover which led to points. He also needs to keep his feet moving and take less time to think. I think he over thinks and tat why he it's somewhat hesitant come out of the back. But one thing for sure he had nowhere to go. Yes, the Oline needs much work on opening holes.

My criticism is not just based from this game alone it just seems at times they have the wrong personnel in at the wrong times. For example, when you want to finish up the game and you want a pounder, why on earth would Brown be in and Richardson be on the bench or 1st and 15 having brown on the bench an Richardson handed the ball with a stacked box? Something's don't make sense to me always but I'm sure they have their reasons for what they do. I just feel like the coaches sometimes get lost in the play call and forget the personnel on the field.

Richardson is clearly struggling and you will sit if you fumble..

.....its all up to Donald Brown.

Isnt that ironic?

But we need to read situations better..

Brown on passing downs....and some first downs..

Richardson on most run downs (1st or 2nd) and all short yardage.

But Donald Brown is doing fine

Give me a freakin break. How many players hold into that ball being gang tackled and clearly going to strip the ball.

It's way more than getting to the second level, it's allowing the RB out of the backfield. We certainly need improvement of the RG and C next year. I'm not optimistic that Holmes is going to be that guy at this point if he hasn't sniffed any playing time with as bad as our RG and center have been and we keep using Mcfly and Link at those spots along with Satele.

Oh I know there is more to than that. That's just something in particular I have noticed. And we have allowed guys to get to the line of scrimmage and even find a yard or two a number of times but we let the linebackers come up mess thing up and our O line not getting movement is a factor too. But regardless its multiple things. Hopefully we get this fixed.

And I swear I thought they were going to call Ryan Deim (spelling) the false start king's name a few times last night! ROFL Just messing with ya Ryan!

uh what?

Wow, guess I see things differently. Our commitment to the run, is what did make the passing game open up. The strip from Trent was because he was held up from going down by four guys for over 4 seconds with probably 6 arms pulling on the ball. Laying blame to him for that strip is an uninformed view... in my opinion.

But again, I am not just picking out this game alone, as an overall body of work, I have not been impressed with how/when they have used these backs at times. It's like they believe they have an Oline who can blow off the ball and manhandle the other side when we know the middle for sure is weak. Pep is new to the NFL but he has to adapt a little better and if you are going to have 2 rb's playing at times, you better get them in under the correct situational use and I don't feel they are doing that consistent enough...yet. Time=learning.

This new offensive regime/scheme 7 games in. Only four games in with Richardson. The offensive line is a work in progress. It has taken steps forward, then been hit with setbacks, then battled back. Contrary to popular belief, an offensive line has to grow into a dominant unit over time. Can't just put good players on the field and expect the line to automatically play better.

I say all this just to support my theory that the run game will continue to improve incrementally as the season goes on. Richardson will have to get more comfortable, and the line play will have to continue to come together. And the coaching staff will have to figure out how to put their players in the best positions to be successful. We've had a lot of turnover this year at the offensive skill positions -- Allen, Ballard, Bradshaw, now Reggie -- and there have been a lot of moving parts.

Not trying to make excuses. Just saying that I think time is the solution, and that the necessary adjustments from the coaching staff will come as they get better acquainted with the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

Um what?  Im just sayin our running game still needs help. Was that too hard to understand or something? It helped Sunday night of course. Don't get ya panties in a twist. Im just sayin that on a couple of goaline situations on Sunday they shoulda just handed that ball to Trent. If we are going to utilize him in the game the give him the ball in goal line situations. So maybe 6 points can be put up instead of 3.