Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Booing the home team

oldunclemark

Houston fans booed the texans today

,,and cheered when Matt Schaub got hurt..

Maybe they were drunk..who knows.

They boo the Bears in Chicago 1/2 the time..

Did Indy fans boot the Colts during the 2-14 season.

Did they boo Peyton Manning when he threw 11 interceptions in 4 games in (I believe) 2010.

I honestly don't remember....did our fans boo our team?

I think there are always a few irrational boo birds in every stadium. Just represents either bandwagoners or people who are so fed up they will boo anything they deem not good enough. I'm sure alcohol is a key ingredient in a lot of those situations. Heck, Philly threw snowballs at Santa Claus haha

I've seen the Colts get booed before and not during the 2-14 season (pulling the starters with a perfect season excluded that's it's own special kind of booing).  Honestly most of the time during the 2-14 season Colts fans just seemed defeated and didn't really have it in them to boo.  Fans did boo Manning during that stretch in 2010 heck Bob Lamey even got caught saying they should just try playing Painter at one point.  Just pure frustration. 

I don't like it when teams cheer for a guy getting hurt.  I mean I understand fans might not like that guy but honestly you dislike a guy so much you are happy bodily harm came to the guy?  Sorry that seems a little barbaric to me for something that's a game. 

I think there are always a few irrational boo birds in every stadium. Just represents either bandwagoners or people who are so fed up they will boo anything they deem not good enough. I'm sure alcohol is a key ingredient in a lot of those situations. Heck, Philly threw snowballs at Santa Claus haha

I think Philadelphia fans try to outdo their reputation...

they boo the cheerleaders if they slip and fall...

..I think its somewhat comic to them..

But booing you own player when he's hurt bothers me ..the man is down on the field...

I have to think they don't really mean it...but it demoralizes your own team..

I don't know if Houston can recover from everything that happened today

But booing you own player when he's hurt bothers me ..the man is down on the field...

We are about to see how good of a coach Gary Kubiak is or isn't that's for sure. 

I've seen the Colts get booed before and not during the 2-14 season (pulling the starters with a perfect season excluded that's it's own special kind of booing).  Honestly most of the time during the 2-14 season Colts fans just seemed defeated and didn't really have it in them to boo.  Fans did boo Manning during that stretch in 2010 heck Bob Lamey even got caught saying they should just try playing Painter at one point.  Just pure frustration. 

I don't like it when teams cheer for a guy getting hurt.  I mean I understand fans might not like that guy but honestly you dislike a guy so much you are happy bodily harm came to the guy?  Sorry that seems a little barbaric to me for something that's a game.

GoC...did Lamey really say that....??? OMG

In NY, they were saying that the NYGs (0-6) would pull Eli except that Curtis Painter is the backup.

Yeah, they do enjoy that reputation of theirs in Philadelphia...but I don't generalize off of the people we see and hear on T.V. In a way this slide is good...it cleans the bandwagon and everyone finds out who the true fans are.

GoC...did Lamey really say that....??? OMG

In NY, they were saying that the NYGs (0-6) would pull Eli except that Curtis Painter is the backup.

He said it on a break but a local radio station played it back the next day because they didn't know Lamey said it off air.  We all love Bob because he's one of us watching the game and sometimes emotions gets the better of him too just as they do any fan. 

I may be taking the unpopular stand here, but if I pay money...good money...for entertainment, I WILL boo if I'm not entertained. I do, though, draw the line at injury. I have zip, zero problems with Texans fans booing Shaub, Kubiak, the beer vendor, the person standing up in their way, or really anyone. I do, though, take a HUGE issue in cheering for an injury.

I may be taking the unpopular stand here, but if I pay money...good money...for entertainment, I WILL boo if I'm not entertained. I do, though, draw the line at injury. I have zip, zero problems with Texans fans booing Shaub, Kubiak, the beer vendor, the person standing up in their way, or really anyone. I do, though, take a HUGE issue in cheering for an injury.

Where is that a right?

I'm just asking...I've heard that before and I don't know where the entitlement comes from..

You don't boo a comedian or singer or a high school athlete if you're not entertained

Where is that a right?

Where have I said it was a 'right'? I will voice my opinion and they can scold me or throw me out of the venue...that's their call. Rights don't exist, just actions and responses.

I'm just asking...I've heard that before and I don't know where the entitlement comes from..

It's not entitlement, it's simply the fact that I pay money for entertainment. If I feel like the value from what I've been received isn't equivacoable to the value I've paid, then I will boo or try to get a refund. They don't have to grant it but that doesn't mean I won't air my opinion.

You don't boo a comedian or singer

I take it you've not been to an AWFUL professional show where the comedian's jokes are lame or he's not feeling the crowd? Or been to a concert where the professional band really wasn't interested in performing a good show? Both times they will hear my boos or in the case of comedians I will heckle. It's up to the performer if they want to rise to the occasion and entertain me or they want to throw me out. I have no problem if I get owned, schooled, destroyed in the process of heckling a bad comedian or singer...as they are SUPPOSE to destroy me. Guees what...I'm Simon Cowell. I'm Piers Morgan. If I don't like what you're doing, the effort your putting out then I will let you know.

It's not a right; I'm simply doing it.

Where is that a right?

You don't boo a comedian or singer or a high school athlete if you're not entertained

A paying customer always has a right to complain if they don't believe they are getting a quality product. Cheering an injured player is bush league though. Even though schaub has played bad, I'm sure he is more upset than anyone in the stands

I think that's pretty much what people are saying booing because you don't like something is different from cheering because someone got hurt.  I think the later crosses a line with most people.  I really don't think most people have an issue if people boo because they aren't happy with something going on on the field.  Although I am sure the few Jags fans that are out there were thinking to themselves we will gladly trade you teams when the Broncos fans were booing the Broncos at the end of the first half today when the Broncos were winning. 

But, Dude... ..

where's the line..? If you feel you can do something you feel entitled

Would you boo Purdue...? or McCutcheon.?

..are obscenities allowed in heckling.....thats not illegal

Would you boo your kids if they were playing badly...

..after all...you're not being entertained..

I understasd booing the other team..you don't want them to win...but I dont get booing your own people

because they're not doing enough for you....or someone entertainer you chose to support through buying that ticket

A paying customer always has a right to complain if they don't believe they are getting a quality product. Cheering an injured player is bush league though. Even though schaub has played bad, I'm sure he is more upset than anyone in the stands

Like dude..says...there are no real rights....only what you do and can get away with

I just wonder where fans like us get the idea that boing or heckling the home team accomplishes anything or soothes any ill feeling

..and if to doesnt,..why do it?

But, Dude... ..

Would you boo Purdue...? or McCutcheon.?

Would you boo your kids if they were playing badly...

..after all...you're not being entertained..

I understasd booing the other team..you don't want them to win...but I dont get booing your own people

because they're not doing enough for you....or someone entertainer you chose to support through buying that ticket

I think most people know the difference between booing professional athletes and booing children.  I think you are trying to be sensational to keep an argument going.  Also the NFL has a code of conduct for fans as long as you aren't deemed as being violation of that I don't think you are going too far.  Even if someone wants to cheer someone getting hurt.  I don't think most people like it but if people want to do it they have that right.  With that said people also have a right to not think very highly of people who elect to do something like that. 

I think that's pretty much what people are saying booing because you don't like something is different from cheering because someone got hurt.  I think the later crosses a line with most people.  I really don't think most people have an issue if people boo because they aren't happy with something going on on the field.  Although I am sure the few Jags fans that are out there were thinking to themselves we will gladly trade you teams when the Broncos fans were booing the Broncos at the end of the first half today when the Broncos were winning.

I heard that to..Bronocs fans booed Denver because they ran out the clock in the 2nd quarter with a 2-point lead.

That was displeasure with the decision..I think.

But it may have been the thought that if we boo them, they'll play better...an odd theory

We are about to see how good of a coach Gary Kubiak is or isn't that's for sure. 

Nah we already know how good is he, or should I say how bad he is. Every coach in the league should preach 60-minute football, yet clearly Kubiak does not. I'm surprised he has lasted this long in the league.

Like dude..says...there are no real rights....only what you do and can get away with

I just wonder where fans like us get the idea that boing or heckling the home team accomplishes anything or soothes any ill feeling

..and if to doesnt,..why do it?

I would never do it. But as a customer it is your right. I saw many MANY terrible teams in the eighties in the hoosier dome. I never booed, but i guess i understand where they are coming from. But cheering when Schaub went down is un called for

But, Dude... ..

That's purely incorrect. Entitled is voicing an opinion without expecting a response. If I boo, then any applicable authority is free to respond and I encourage it. You don't like me saying what I'm saying then you're free to get a mod to ban me. The line is, of course, what the venue owner or authority will tolerate.

Would you boo Purdue...?

Yes. Now of course if I was in the student section they'red be plenty of entertainment in bouncing around inflated objects.

or McCutcheon.?

Yes, if I'm there for entertainment. I have more leniency because they're kids but if they aren't giving effort.

I never said it was illegal. Are you really TRYING to put words in my mouth or something? The owner or authority of the venue does have the ability to remove anyone from it's premises for any reason. That's the counter to me voicing whatever I feel like.

I take it that you also don't get correcting them when they're wrong or scold them for not putting effort into it?

If I buy a ticket to be entertained then, yes. I don't only buy tickets to sporting events for entertainment, but the more expensive (without directly benefiting a charity) the more value I place on getting what I've payed for in entertainment or experience.

I think most people know the difference between booing professional athletes and booing children.  I think you are trying to be sensational to keep an argument going.  Also the NFL has a code of conduct for fans as long as you aren't deemed as being violation of that I don't think you are going too far.  Even if someone wants to cheer someone getting hurt.  I don't think most people like it but if people want to do it they have that right.  With that said people also have a right to not think very highly of people who elect to do something like that.

What is the difference between booing pros and kids..? You pay cash money to see both

Sensational.? No way. Not at all GoC../

This is a debate I've had ever since I've followed sports....It's not at all new

I dont understand the concept or the benefits to booing the team you want to win. I don't think there is logic to it.

Like dude says..you just do it...if you feel it...

..and if you feel there's a right...I don't know where the right, the entitlement to heckle losing (or even winning)athletes comes from.

You certainly have the right to not pay to see them again...

But the acting out. I dont get it... That's all I'm saying..

I've bought bad cars and I never thought of verbally accosting the salesman for selling me a lemon

I would never do it. But as a customer it is your right. I saw many MANY terrible teams in the eighties in the hoosier dome. I never booed, but i guess i understand where they are coming from. But cheering when Schaub went down is un called for

I'm like you...I dont boo..I just leave if it s bad..

..The Schaub thing is very strange...they seem to dislike him with a passion there..

....and I don't know the franchise situation that well to understand why

What is the difference between booing pros and kids..? You pay cash money to see both

Sensational.? No way. Not at all GoC../

This is a debate I've had ever since I've followed sports....It's not at all new

I dont understand the concept or the benefits to booing the team you want to win. I don't think there is logic to it.

Like dude says..you just do it...if you feel it...

..and if you feel there's a right...I don't know where the right, the entitlement to heckle losing (or even winning)athletes comes from.

You certainly have the right to not pay to see them again...

But the acting out. I dont get it... That's all I'm saying..

I've bought bad cars and I never thought of verbally accosting the salesman for selling me a lemon

If I have to explain the difference between booing children and pros then we don't need to have this conversation.  I am sure you know the difference. 

There is no rule against booing.  You can do it.  With that said people can also think you are a jerk if they don't like when you do it. 

Did they boo Peyton Manning when he threw 11 interceptions in 4 games in (I believe) 2010.

I'm sure lots of "Colts fans" will boo our team / cheer the other team next Sunday.

My father bought season Tix to the Colts day one in 84.      I watched more games at the "DOME" than I would care to remember...     why?   Because they truly were a bad team most seasons.      Nearly all until 95. 

And YES ..  the BOOING in the dome was heard, and it was a half empty stadium some dates.   To the point Indy was rumored to be moving several times. 

Then 95 happened...  , and THEN 98....       and all of a sudden Indy is a "blue blood"    "a FOOTBALL CITY"??      Name wise yes, but city wise...   Indy had some really tough years early.     But they came out of it with a lot of ".....................LUCK"   

And if ANYone doubts if Indy is a football city.       Go watch a Carmel vs LN HS football game here in INDY.    or whoever.   It is lights out competitive.      The Colts did that, they turned stone cold BB state into a FOOTBALL crazy state.

heheeh..    we just left early and tried to get into any dive TT bar that would let HS kids in with out carding..

Good times... :td:         The Hip Hugger in Kokomo was always a NICE detour....   

That's purely incorrect. Entitled is voicing an opinion without expecting a response. If I boo, then any applicable authority is free to respond and I encourage it. You don't like me saying what I'm saying then you're free to get a mod to ban me. The line is, of course, what the venue owner or authority will tolerate.

Yes. Now of course if I was in the student section they'red be plenty of entertainment in bouncing around inflated objects.

Yes, if I'm there for entertainment. I have more leniency because they're kids but if they aren't giving effort.

I never said it was illegal. Are you really TRYING to put words in my mouth or something? The owner or authority of the venue does have the ability to remove anyone from it's premises for any reason. That's the counter to me voicing whatever I feel like.

I take it that you also don't get correcting them when they're wrong or scold them for not putting effort into it?

If I buy a ticket to be entertained then, yes. I don't only buy tickets to sporting events for entertainment, but the more expensive (without directly benefiting a charity) the more value I place on getting what I've payed for in entertainment or experience.

No, you answered what I wrote and I'm asking what your boundaries are....you seem to have them.

...we spoke of rules...laws....and your opinion is not illegal...

But there's no paralell as you suggest between correcting students who are wrong in studies or behavior (or handling inflatable objects) and booing them at a sporting event.

One is the job of those (inflatable or otherwise) in authority..the other is what you feel entitled to do.

But the question still stands..

....assuming you want good entertainment

..or assuming you the home team to win....why boo them/

Its counter productive

If I have to explain the difference between booing children and pros then we don't need to have this conversation.  I am sure you know the difference. 

There is no rule against booing.  You can do it.  With that said people can also think you are a jerk if they don't like when you do it.

No rule.

But it is hard to explain why fans who pay the same dollar would boo the paid Chicago Bears for playing badly but not scholarship athletes from Notre Dame..when they pay the same dollar to see both and they want both to win.

I don't need you to agree with me or to disagree with me....I appreciate your answer

I just was curious to why you think its done.....its always puzzled me

No rule.

But it is hard to explain why fans who pay the same dollar would boo the paid Chicago Bears for playing badly but not scholarship athletes from Notre Dame..when they pay the same dollar to see both and they want both to win.

I don't need you to agree with me or to disagree with me....I appreciate your answer

I just was curious to why you think its done.....its always puzzled me

I didn't say college kids. I was referring to children as in younger than college. Honestly I think if you are in a situation where you are paying to play rather than getting a scholarship or money in return 99.9% of people view booing as off limits. With that I am sure someone out there has booed a kid at a pee wew game before and that's where people have a right to think that guy is a jerk.

Broncos fans expect perfection to much, Peyton on an off day had a 94 + rating and there were 7 official drops, 4 easy ones by running backs too ( 2 at least affected drives essentially stopping them ) , and still Peyton properly guided long drives and called right 3 running plays for thee run TD besidfes his 2 TD's

YET get this as these Denver Fans are unforgiven --  Some of them dont deserve Peyton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the first time all season, the Broncos were off-script.

And not long after Manning's interception, the reaction was equally unexpected as the Broncos headed to the locker room following a 1-yard completion to end the first half.

Boos.

And they weren't because a few people wanted to practice for Halloween.

The sound didn't come from all of the fans, or even a majority. But it was enough to be heard through the thick panes of glass on the press level, and to be picked up by television and radio microphones. The team that was undefeated, has the NFL's longest active regular-season winning streak and scored more points than anyone ever has through five -- and now, six -- games heard it from the fans.

"I was kind of shocked, because I've never heard boos here," cornerback Chris Harris said. "You don't usually hear that from our fans."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/When-a-Game-Goes-Off-Script/e519a18c-b883-4484-8d67-c02097fc55a5

PS I hope I am wrong but on an aside / off topic 

anyway u have to wonder a bit, Many of peytons throws low even when caught, 

he was hit hard 5 times quite early and landed flat hard with players on him

Then went into locker and Brock on sidelines got up and started sidelne practice,

Peyton came back oout and practiced on sidline,

u have to wonder with those big hits, going into locker to be checked , on TV I'd swear he sort of shaked his hand but coukld of just been reading into it at the time trying to figure out why he went into locker, anouncers only pointed out tht he went in and Brock started to practicer ,  then all the low throws and missed snaps did he get a bit hurt ??

Decker even after 1 caatch on a low throw motioned to Peyton to   get them higher as announcers put it

I typically don't condone booing the home team, no matter how bad you are, but there are times when it is appropriate and this was one of them.  I do agree with you about cheering injury.  There's no place for that.  As much as you may dislike a particular player, a guy getting injured isn't something to be happy about. 

I typically don't condone booing the home team, no matter how bad you are, but there are times when it is appropriate and this was one of them.  I do agree with you about cheering injury.  There's no place for that.  As much as you may dislike a particular player, a guy getting injured isn't something to be happy about. 

I'm sort of with you although, I don't think it's a horrible thing to boo a team as they are going into the locker room at half time if they have clearly played well below their talent level and are losing to a clearly inferior team.

That would be a rare occasion but I would condone it in that instance.

Also don't mind a team booing the pulling of starters and giving up the chance at an undefeated season.  

That having been said no one should ever cheer when a player gets hurt.  Ever.  No matter how bad he plays or who he plays for.

I'm sort of with you although, I don't think it's a horrible thing to boo a team as they are going into the locker room at half time if they have clearly played well below their talent level and are losing to a clearly inferior team.

That would be a rare occasion but I would condone it in that instance.

Also don't mind a team booing the pulling of starters and giving up the chance at an undefeated season.  

That having been said no one should ever cheer when a player gets hurt.  Ever.  No matter how bad he plays or who he plays for.

This would be another reason I would find it okay.  That's one of those ones where it's a fine line.  I think it can provide a little extra motivation to come out playing in high gear.  I'm sure they would see it that way too (at least I know I would if I went into the locker room hearing those boos).