Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next year's cap space [Merge]

Colts_Fan12

I don't have a source for Levtrie but I remember seeing a tweet posted inside the FA thread that was going on.

Vasquez - http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/26/4032152/nfl-rumors-colts-interest-louis-vasquez

I'm only inferring that the offer was too small or the Broncos were a more attractive situation.  Seeing as we showed interest and he didn't come here.

And I know this is on the opposite side of the ball, but we were interested in Avril also.

We showed interest in a lot of guys, but considering how quickly we signed Donald Thomas, I'm not certain that we actually offered either Levitre or Vasquez. I highly doubt we offered Avril, given what his initial demands were.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give him another year to prove himself but if not then yes I would give up on him and try to get something in a trade from him like a mid-to late round pick.

Hmm, how very nice of you to give him another year to prove himself.  Fortunately, our front office is not nearly that short-sighted and will give him at minimum the rest of his rookie contract.  

For God's sakes, since when is (kittycat synonym)-footing around censored??? Get a grip!

It was only the synonym that was censored, and if you can't figure out why that word would be censored on a family friendly site then I don't know what to tell you.  

I know right...I look at other teams we are playing forums and they say anything they want and make fun of us for being too PC, I wish they would relax on the censorship...It would make this forum much more entertaining, it's football for Pete's sake...

You knew the deal when you signed up.  Feel free to leave to join one of those forums that allow you to be as profane as you want.  ;)

Another good thing is with us winning the better FA will notice and will possibly wanna come here over other teams for a faster chance at a Super Bowl

Exactly. Being a SB contender, having Andrew Luck and the fact of only needing a piece here and a piece there away from hoisting the Lombardi trophy will make coming to Indianapolis easier to swallow to FA's who have their choice of any city.    Because the truth is; the reason we DID and WILL have to slighty (and for certain players) not so slightly *cough* Landry *cough* Overpay any decent FA is in part for having to live/work in Indianapolis. Dont get me wrong I Love my City-Born and raised. But the way this city is portrayed nationally and in certain media outlets as a small "hick" town doesnt give most of these guys, who have their choice of cities to live/work. But being a WINNING team, those players whose main concern is the chance of  winning a championship will want to come here instead of being bought.

I don't have a source for Levtrie but I remember seeing a tweet posted inside the FA thread that was going on.

Vasquez - http://www.sbnation.com/2013/2/26/4032152/nfl-rumors-colts-interest-louis-vasquez

I'm only inferring that the offer was too small or the Broncos were a more attractive situation.  Seeing as we showed interest and he didn't come here.

And I know this is on the opposite side of the ball, but we were interested in Avril also.

See it's hard to say though.  That's more or less just rumor.  What does it even mean to be interested?  Does it really mean that we made him an offer??  That's highly doubtful considering that the article was reported before we where even allowed to start talking to the player's agent about him.

Honestly I think someone in the organization was basically telling the reporter that he was on our radar and Grigs was scouting him and had people watching film on him as a possible signing.  

You could say that he went to Denver cause he liked that situation better and that makes sense.  But Levitre went to Tennessee and they hardly have a better situation then us.  The only thing that would make sense then is he has a thing about that team (for some reason he really just wanted to play for the Titans) or that we didn't offer him enough.  

At this point I tend to think Grigs likes middle of the road players in free agency and prefers to develop his own stars through the draft.  

We showed interest in a lot of guys, but considering how quickly we signed Donald Thomas, I'm not certain that we actually offered either Levitre or Vasquez. I highly doubt we offered Avril, given what his initial demands were.

When I hear interest, I just take it as we gave it a chance, not meaning we offered them, but it could mean that we contacted them and it didn't work out.

But to be honest, both of our guard spots needed an upgrade so I don't think we can just go off the Donald Thomas signing.

See it's hard to say though.  That's more or less just rumor.  What does it even mean to be interested?  Does it really mean that we made him an offer??  That's highly doubtful considering that the article was reported before we where even allowed to start talking to the player's agent about him.

Honestly I think someone in the organization was basically telling the reporter that he was on our radar and Grigs was scouting him and had people watching film on him as a possible signing.  

You could say that he went to Denver cause he liked that situation better and that makes sense.  But Levitre went to Tennessee and they hardly have a better situation then us.  The only thing that would make sense then is he has a thing about that team (for some reason he really just wanted to play for the Titans) or that we didn't offer him enough.  

At this point I tend to think Grigs likes middle of the road players in free agency and prefers to develop his own stars through the draft.  

Yeah, I agree. To be honest, I think it came down to money with Levtrie.

And also on Grigs too.  I think he's not scared to go and get high profile players, but if there are players who have some talent and will suffice, he won't be scared to grab them either.

When I hear interest, I just take it as we gave it a chance, not meaning we offered them, but it could mean that we contacted them and it didn't work out.

But to be honest, both of our guard spots needed an upgrade so I don't think we can just go off the Donald Thomas signing.

That's true, but there were other guards available. It's hard to imagine that they went from trying to sign Thomas and another top level guard, then settled for just Thomas and keeping McGlynn. I don't know otherwise, this is just my opinion.

We also had interest in Kruger and a handful of other players. But there's no indication that offers were made.

That's true, but there were other guards available. It's hard to imagine that they went from trying to sign Thomas and another top level guard, then settled for just Thomas and keeping McGlynn. I don't know otherwise, this is just my opinion.

We also had interest in Kruger and a handful of other players. But there's no indication that offers were made.

To be totally fair though if the coaches recognized the Thorton was ready and Thomas doesn't get hurt, then our line is either fixed or nearly fixed.  All you have to do is figure out the situation at center.  

Since we got Thorton and he's worked out there really was no need to get another guard in free agency other then maybe a cheap one for depth.  

To be totally fair though if the coaches recognized the Thorton was ready and Thomas doesn't get hurt, then our line is either fixed or nearly fixed.  All you have to do is figure out the situation at center.  

Since we got Thorton and he's worked out there really was no need to get another guard in free agency other then maybe a cheap one for depth.

Free agency is before the draft, though. Maybe they planned to draft interior linemen, and so weren't looking to add that many guys in free agency. I think the plan was solid. Just sucks that Thomas got hurt.

I agree with a new starting center. Satele is pathetic and way overpaid. Honestly I see us letting dhb, connor, vinny, and franklin walk. This was a prove yourself year for dhb and he has not done that so far. It seems as if connor is in the doghouse with the coaching staff since he doesn't get enough playing time. Vinny is getting older and we could possibly look to the draft for his replacement. Franklin is a stop gap for chap so b I don't see him on our roster either. We will resign patty mac and extend vontae hopefully. I would also love to see bethea retire as a colt. One of my favorite colts, would hate to see him go

Agree with all this, although DHB still has some time, I think the team likes him! Must have a replacement plan if he is not signed, plus Wayne is no spring chicken!

Agree with all this, although DHB still has some time, I think the team likes him! Must have a replacement plan if he is not signed, plus Wayne is no spring chicken!

Another dangerous receiver to go with TY is a must..I'd like to move Reggie to the slot as I think he still can be productive but, this should be his last year as a #1..I'd prefer to trade for a young talented receiver than acquire 1 in free agency cause it rarely works...Alex Mack at Center is the answer in the offseason...I'd like to see us trade for Gordon, Blackmon, or Crabtree and sacrifice a 2nd and 4th if necessary..

Another dangerous receiver to go with TY is a must..I'd like to move Reggie to the slot as I think he still can be productive but, this should be his last year as a #1..I'd prefer to trade for a young talented receiver than acquire 1 in free agency cause it rarely works...Alex Mack at Center is the answer in the offseason...I'd like to see us trade for Gordon, Blackmon, or Crabtree and sacrifice a 2nd and 4th if necessary..

Do you think the Jags would give up Blackmon or the 49er's Crabtree??

Also you have character concerns with both Blackmon and Gordon.  

Do you think the Jags would give up Blackmon or the 49er's Crabtree??

Also you have character concerns with both Blackmon and Gordon.  

That's why they are available...Dez Bryant had plenty of character concerns as well and he is doing ok I think...Michael Irvin wasn't bad either or Randy Moss..We have a good program here where success is contagious...We might already have that guy in Da'Rick Rogers and that would be all-time great and genious on Grigson's part..

That's why they are available...Dez Bryant had plenty of character concerns as well and he is doing ok I think...Michael Irvin wasn't bad either or Randy Moss..We have a good program here where success is contagious...We might already have that guy in Da'Rick Rogers and that would be all-time great and genious on Grigson's part..

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on his potential.  If I was Grigs and looking at practice I thought this guy had that kind of potential I'd get him on my roster ASAP and keep him there.  

I wouldn't leave potential like that to be snatched up off the practice squad by any team that wants to sign him for the NFL min.  

But yet he leaves him on the PS in favor of Reed.  

Grigson is really doing a lot to bring cheaper young players with talent, and is being aggresive with talent aquistion. Its such a departure from Polian's more conservative approach of exclusively farming up your own guys from draft picks, but so far it appears to be getting great results. The Colts are a team lookimg to be a force for years to come.

Grigson has been aggresive in free agency because we need to fill so many holes and have extra cash this year. He will later be milking the draft to maintain a great team.

I will give him another year to prove himself but if not then yes I would give up on him and try to get something in a trade from him like a mid-to late round pick.

I'm glad you're willing to give a rookie first rounder to prove his worth :facepalm:

I'm sure the coaching staff is relieved

Mr Grigson is a smart man, being a former O lineman he has to be concerned about how our line is under performing this year.(especially at certain positions)

I would be absolutely surprised if, after taking care of our own FA's, he does not make a major acquisition or two to address the O line.

It's the major weakness in the monster he is trying to build, even if it is short term fix 'till we can build from the draft or with who we have now.

We are fairly solid at most every other parts of the team, this seems the most logical place to focus attention.

Luck and Richardson will never see their true potential without substantial improvement with the OL.

The sky would really be the limit with even a better than average O line!

Build the Monster, Feed the Monster.