Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kubiak on Schaub

dw49

Quiz Boy , if it were me , I would apologize for even thinking Schaub was > than Luck. Hard to believe the Texans are 2-3. I owner if that last sentence accurately depicts what Kubiak actually said. If so that's a brutal remark . Pretty much saying that the team is not good enough to overcome how bad Schaub is. Wow....

Texans coach Gary Kubiak was less committal to Matt Schaub as his starting quarterback at Kubiak's Monday presser.

"He is," Kubiak said when asked if Schaub remains Houston's starter, "but I’m evaluating everything to see what gives us best chance to win." T.J. Yates is in the mix to start Week 6. The Texans' offense is designed to be quarterback friendly, but Schaub has an 8:9 TD-to-INT ratio through five weeks, and has thrown a pick-six in an NFL record four straight games. "I’m trying to help (Schaub) push him through it so our team can push through it," Kubiak said. "We’re all disappointed because we’re having to overcome too much."

Ehh, I'd rather have Kubiak shown the door. The Texans need to overhaul things. It starts with Kubiak. He has had enough seasons and enough pieces now to make the team contenders, yet has failed to do so.

Plus, I just plain don't like the guy... Give the job to that Wade Phillips guy. I heard he's an okay chap.

Ehh, I'd rather have Kubiak shown the door. The Texans need to overhaul things. It starts with Kubiak. He has had enough seasons and enough pieces now to make the team contenders, yet has failed to do so.

Plus, I just plain don't like the guy...

I think he knows he might be in trouble of getting canned if Houston can't over take Indy and or advance far in the playoffs. I mean , if that roto world statement is accurate , forget throwing a player under the bus.. this is more like decapitating the guy. Not vey often do you see a head coach make remarks like that regarding their QB and maybe it's just to try to push all the blame to Schaub and save his job ?  But I will say that I really don't know if the roto account of this is accurate. 

Plus, I just plain don't like the guy... Give the job to that Wade Phillips guy. I heard he's an okay chap.

Kubiak either need to take the leash off his offense or be fired, end of discussion. The playcalling is far to predictable and conservative to be productive at the NFL level.

Wade Phillips is not the answer though. Thats a guy whos proven over the years hes a great D coordinator, but doesnt have what it takes to be succesful in the big chair.

Kubiak either need to take the leash off his offense or be fired, end of discussion. The playcalling is far to predictable and conservative to be productive at the NFL level.

Wade Phillips is not the answer though. Thats a guy whos proven over the years hes a great D coordinator, but doesnt have what it takes to be succesful in the big chair.

as a colts fan, i would love to see wade become the Texans head coach

They'll be singing the Stones to each other real soon.

"All I got to do...is to get back to you." or maybe that's the song Schuab is singing to DB's these days.

Poor guy, I actually thought he was a decent QB a few years back.

Hes definitely regressed. Its almost like the Jake Delhomme collapse in Carolina back in the day (if anybody remembers that). Id say a good portion of it is coaching though. Kubiak doesnt even let him audible.

Hes definitely regressed. Its almost like the Jake Delhomme collapse in Carolina back in the day (if anybody remembers that). Id say a good portion of it is coaching though. Kubiak doesnt even let him audible.

Oh man that was really sad to watch Delhomme go down the way he did. It really don't feel that long ago when he was the premier hot shot that led Carolina to a Super Bowl. No one would have believed he would go down the way he did back in the day.

I don't know why the Texans don't run the ball more. Foster put up great numbers last night too, and they are so committed to throwing it. Kubiak is never going to lead them to a Super Bowl.

Oh man that was really sad to watch Delhomme go down the way he did. It really don't feel that long ago when he was the premier hot shot that led Carolina to a Super Bowl. No one would have believed he would go down the way he did back in the day.

I don't know why the Texans don't run the ball more. Foster put up great numbers last night too, and they are so committed to throwing it. Kubiak is never going to lead them to a Super Bowl.

We already knew that though....

And no running. Let them keep throwing it. :yahoo:

Remember they are our Falcons..... ;)

Well, since this thread was tailor made for me lol....let's not bring up past statements in light of a three game losing streak for a guy who has put up Pro Bowl numbers throughout his career. Yes he is playing bad now but he is still a good QB, whatever is on his mind he needs to get over it and focus. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Kubiak said either.

We run too much as it is. Very predictably at times. I get the love for Arian and he deserves it but we aren't going to run on three downs every single possession. That leads to third and longs and subsequential interceptions, plus this isn't the 70s anymore.

Well, since this thread was tailor made for me lol....let's not bring up past statements in light of a three game losing streak for a guy who has put up Pro Bowl numbers throughout his career. Yes he is playing bad now but he is still a good QB, whatever is on his mind he needs to get over it and focus. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what Kubiak said either.

He WAS a good QB. Theres no evidence to show he will pull himself out of this funk, as its just getting worse and worse each week. Its why I brought up Delhomme.

If you dont remember, Jake Delhomme was a good QB in Carolina before he had a few mental mistakes early in one season that snowballed in to what was once a guy who led a team to a super bowl appearance throwing multiple picks a game until he was benched. His NFL career ended essentially due to a mental breakdown in regards to play.

Im seeing some of that in Schaub right now, and its sad to see.

He WAS a good QB. Theres no evidence to show he will pull himself out of this funk, as its just getting worse and worse each week. Its why I brought up Delhomme.

If you dont remember, Jake Delhomme was a good QB in Carolina before he had a few mental mistakes early in one season that snowballed in to what was once a guy who led a team to a super bowl appearance throwing multiple picks a game until he was benched. His NFL career ended essentially due to a mental breakdown in regards to play.

Im seeing some of that in Schaub right now, and its sad to see.

Three bad losses doesn't make a career. Otherwise Brees would be lying in the fetal position after what the Saints went through last year. Schaub is Schaub....not Delhomme. I know a lot of people want it to be permanent but Uhhh I don't think so. A lot of football left to be played.

Three bad losses doesn't make a career. Otherwise Brees would be lying in the fetal position after what the Saints went through last year. Schaub is Schaub....not Delhomme. I know a lot of people want it to be permanent but Uhhh I don't think so. A lot of football left to be played.

i for one want him to stay the Texans qb for many years,to come

Naaa... wasn't taylor made for you. I thought it was an amazing statement for a coach to make about his "pro bowl " QB. As far as the Luck - Schaub statement .. why not bring it up ? I'm sure if Luck was playing as horribly as your guy , Texan fans would bring it up. BTW... I don't think you'll ever find a reasonable football fan to ever agree with you that Schuab > than Luck. Our guy lives for the big moments while your guy gets crushed by them.

You must not be seeing the same body language I am. That is a guy who has let the pressure get to him and is over reaching, and letting every mistake compound on top of each other.

Im not saying Schaub is bad athletically, or that he isnt good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Im saying that it looks like this might be the beginnings of a mental spiral that ultimately overshadows a good career.

He might pull out of it still, and you can only hope being bemched for Yates was a wakeup call, but given the way he acted on the bench, it may have just made things worse.

I dont know man, the Colts are my team so obviously a biased viewer, but Im a fan of thr NFL as a whole big time and try to stay as impartial as possible, and the Schaub situation in Houston is eerily similar to Delhomme in Carolina.

Luckily, Houston at least has some hope in the backups. Yates has done good things, and theres the great unknown hope of the future in Keenum.

and at this rate you're never going to have about your Falcons going 13-3 every other season like I have to worry. :headspin:

Don't think you have much to worry about with this years Falcons though. They just got burned by Geno Smith on MNF. lmao

Naaa... wasn't taylor made for you. I thought it was an amazing statement for a coach to make about his "pro bowl " QB. As far as the Luck - Schaub statement .. why not bring it up ? I'm sure if Luck was playing as horribly as your guy , Texan fans would bring it up. BTW... I don't think you'll ever find a reasonable football fan to ever agree with you that Schuab > than Luck. Our guy lives for the big moments while your guy gets crushed by them.

Because bringing it up starts flame wars faster than two pyromaniacs with flame throwers and gasoline. Our guy won a playoff game and beat the heavenly Denver Broncos last year in what many would call big games. And no matter what anyone says getting to 12-4 is a tough task no matter what team you are. You want to talk trash now while your guy is high so don't get mad when I return the favor when the low inevitably returns.

You must not be seeing the same body language I am. That is a guy who has let the pressure get to him and is over reaching, and letting every mistake compound on top of each other.

Im not saying Schaub is bad athletically, or that he isnt good enough to be a starter in the NFL. Im saying that it looks like this might be the beginnings of a mental spiral that ultimately overshadows a good career.

He might pull out of it still, and you can only hope being bemched for Yates was a wakeup call, but given the way he acted on the bench, it may have just made things worse.

I dont know man, the Colts are my team so obviously a biased viewer, but Im a fan of thr NFL as a whole big time and try to stay as impartial as possible, and the Schaub situation in Houston is eerily similar to Delhomme in Carolina.

Luckily, Houston at least has some hope in the backups. Yates has done good things, and theres the great unknown hope of the future in Keenum.

What fault did you find with his body language? An honest question, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

What fault did you find with his body language? An honest question, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

On the field hes been tense and jumpy, as if very wound up, and each mistake is met with an exasperated and dramatic (not in a bad way, just meant as literally as possible) response.

When benched, he wouldnt even take his helmet off for a long period, and spent a lot of time slouched and lost in his head.

The mistakes have gotten in to his head, and though likely a nonfactor, the high pressure houston fanbase that had ultra high expectations the last few years certainly arent helping.

I think what Schaub needs now is something to loosen up and get the mistakes out of his head. Hes clearly not letting them go.

On the field hes been tense and jumpy, as if very wound up, and each mistake is met with an exasperated and dramatic (not in a bad way, just meant as literally as possible) response.

When benched, he wouldnt even take his helmet off for a long period, and spent a lot of time slouched and lost in his head.

The mistakes have gotten in to his head, and though likely a nonfactor, the high pressure houston fanbase that had ultra high expectations the last few years certainly arent helping.

I think what Schaub needs now is something to loosen up and get the mistakes out of his head. Hes clearly not letting them go.

I agree. I didn't find his sideline demeanor bad though....I mean if it were Brady or Stafford or Cutler (well maybe not Cutler lol) we would see the same thing. No QB likes being pulled, especially when his team is losing, but injuries are a factor as well as other things may be. I hope those cobwebs are cleared up though for when we go head to head against Fisher and his team. If we lose to the Rams I will eat a ghost pepper and cry myself to sleep lol.

Three bad losses doesn't make a career. Otherwise Brees would be lying in the fetal position after what the Saints went through last year. Schaub is Schaub....not Delhomme. I know a lot of people want it to be permanent but Uhhh I don't think so. A lot of football left to be played

LOL , man , you will say just about anything that comes to mind to wiggle , worm and make yourself right. What in God's nameare you talking about when you say "Otherwise Brees would be lying in the fetal position after what the Saints went through last year." Brees threw for 5200 yards , completed 63% , 43 tds 19 ints. The saints had what was called the worst statistical defense in the history of the NFL. Your guy is melting down and breaking records for pick 6's.  It wasn't me or anyone else that is saying Schuab is making it impossible for the Texans to win. It was his head coach. How in the world do you come up with that comparison ? And yes there is a lot of football to be played. But according to Kubiak , we don't even know if we'll see Schaub anymore.

LOL , man , you will say just about anything that comes to mind to wiggle , worm and make yourself right. What in God's nameare you talking about when you say "Otherwise Brees would be lying in the fetal position after what the Saints went through last year." Brees threw for 5200 yards , completed 63% , 43 tds 19 ints. The saints had what was called the worst statistical defense in the history of the NFL. Your guy is melting down and breaking records for pick 6's.  It wasn't me or anyone else that is saying Schuab is making it impossible for the Texans to win. It was his head coach. How in the world do you come up with that comparison ? And yes there is a lot of football to be played. But according to Kubiak , we don't even know if we'll see Schaub anymore.

For an elite quarterback 7-9 is terrible. TERRIBLE. Terrible terrible terrible terrible. You know this. I will say anything that comes to mind? What are you talking about? Schaub threw for a higher completion percentage, less INTs and got his team more wins last year. I obviously used the Brees comparison because it shows that a team can have a rough patch or a rough year and no one has to write them or their QB off, especially not after three darn games. You didn't connect the dots though, or you are being willfully ignorant of what I am saying. Guess who he was tied with before the 4th? The great Peyton Manning. You act like pick-sixes are a death sentence for a QB that has proven he can win in this league. It is week 5, and we have dealt with worse than this before.

I agree. I didn't find his sideline demeanor bad though....I mean if it were Brady or Stafford or Cutler (well maybe not Cutler lol) we would see the same thing. No QB likes being pulled, especially when his team is losing, but injuries are a factor as well as other things may be. I hope those cobwebs are cleared up though for when we go head to head against Fisher and his team. If we lose to the Rams I will eat a ghost pepper and cry myself to sleep lol.

Ghost pepper? Dont go suicidal bro lol.

Even if the offense lays another egg (which is unlikely, gabbert laid 20 on them), I imagine Watt will have a field day with poor, regressing, Sam Bradford. Its hard to imagine the Texans losing this one.

It may be just the game Schaub needs to get his head right honestly.

Ghost pepper? Dont go suicidal bro lol.

Even if the offense lays another egg (which is unlikely, gabbert laid 20 on them), I imagine Watt will have a field day with poor, regressing, Sam Bradford. Its hard to imagine the Texans losing this one.

It may be just the game Schaub needs to get his head right honestly.

I hope so. Otherwise the ugly stepsister will get even uglier. Bradford better get rid of the ball quick this week, but that doesn't seem to be his strong suit so I too believe that the time to win is now.

Guest TeamLoloJones

For an elite quarterback 7-9 is terrible. TERRIBLE. Terrible terrible terrible terrible. You know this. I will say anything that comes to mind? What are you talking about? Schaub threw for a higher completion percentage, less INTs and got his team more wins last year. I obviously used the Brees comparison because it shows that a team can have a rough patch or a rough year and no one has to write them or their QB off, especially not after three darn games. You didn't connect the dots though, or you are being willfully ignorant of what I am saying. Guess who he was tied with before the 4th? The great Peyton Manning. You act like pick-sixes are a death sentence for a QB that has proven he can win in this league. It is week 5, and we have dealt with worse than this before.

Peyton actually threw 4 pick sixes (two in two straight games) in 2010, but for some reason no one wants to bring that up since Manning is ESPN's golden boy right now.

Peyton actually threw 4 pick sixes (two in two straight games) in 2010, but for some reason no one wants to bring that up since Manning is ESPN's golden boy right now.

Yep, God's favor passed from one QB to the next in Denver haha There's another Manning out there who hasn't gotten his team a win yet but somehow Flacco and Schaub are the ones being brought up in the most negative segments on ESPN...curious....

Guest TeamLoloJones

Yep, God's favor passed from one QB to the next in Denver haha There's another Manning out there who hasn't gotten his team a win yet but somehow Flacco and Schaub are the ones being brought up in the most negative segments on ESPN...curious....

I love Peyton to death so I don't want to receive hate mail for pouring on Manning, but he had a 3 game stretch in 2010 where he threw 11 picks.  Yeah 11 in three games.  Lost all three games.  And in all three the argument could be made if he just avoided the final pick in each game the Colts would have won.  My point is people should lay off of Schaub.  I had my fun poking fun at him Sunday night, but it's time to give it a rest and worry about our own team.

Your dead on shaub is a good qb its the coach he doesn't let shaub have any imput, and is running the texans into the ground give shaub a guy like sean payton and he will put up good numbers.  look what happened to breeze last year without him.  Coaching in the nfl is more important than coacing in any other sport. You never see badly coached teams win the superbowl. shaub is a pro bowler.

Because bringing it up starts flame wars faster than two pyromaniacs with flame throwers and gasoline. Our guy won a playoff game and beat the heavenly Denver Broncos last year in what many would call big games. And no matter what anyone says getting to 12-4 is a tough task no matter what team you are. You want to talk trash now while your guy is high so don't get mad when I return the favor when the low inevitably returns.

He's been a good QB over the years but IMO.. nothing special. He's 32 years old and has I think one playoff victory under his belt ? Yes he went 12-4 in 2012 but man.. Adrian Foster , great O Line , A Johnson and a darn good defense , I'm not sure it's a testament for his greatness. They finished one game ahead of the Colts with a far , far superior roster. So if the QB is responsible for the teams record as you insinuate ... hmmmmm. O well... the facts are this. Your team is 2-3 and your coach pretty much says it's not his fault , not the teams fault.. instead it all Schaub's fault and he can't guarantee that he will continue to start. I just reported this and did bring up the old Schaub vs Luck thread. That's flaming ? OK... but I'm here to take mine if Luck ends up to be a bum and Schaub actually is the better QB. Believe me if it happens , you won't even have to post it ... I'll come out and say I was wrong. 

BTW... I would love to know what "the low that inevitably returns " is. Do you mean that Luck really isn't good and he will sooner or later return to playing poorly ? I just don't know what that "low" means . Could it mean a few rookie mistakes he made last year ?

I love Peyton to death so I don't want to receive hate mail for pouring on Manning, but he had a 3 game stretch in 2010 where he threw 11 picks.  Yeah 11 in three games.  Lost all three games.  And in all three the argument could be made if he just avoided the final pick in each game the Colts would have won.  My point is people should lay off of Schaub.  I had my fun poking fun at him Sunday night, but it's time to give it a rest and worry about our own team.

People have been waiting since last year for a chance to pile on, so I'm not surprised. He has made some bad decisions and some criticism is definitely warranted but you are right, laying off would be wise. Time for us to focus on the boys buckling up their chinstraps and getting ready for the next one.

but I'm here to take mine if Luck ends up to be a bum and Schaub actually is the better QB. Believe me if it happens , you won't even have to post it ... I'll come out and say I was wrong.

Oh it's so easy to say that because that will NEVER FREAKING HAPPEN.

Your dead on shaub is a good qb its the coach he doesn't let shaub have any imput, and is running the texans into the ground give shaub a guy like sean payton and he will put up good numbers.  look what happened to breeze last year without him.  Coaching in the nfl is more important than coacing in any other sport. You never see badly coached teams win the superbowl. shaub is a pro bowler.

Yeah, the HC's playcalling is awfully predictable at times and I suspect that if Schaub is indeed benched then my dear fellow rabid fans will turn their claws to Kubiak. He does deserve some blame, as does every coach that has a losing streak like this one and in the fashion the games were lost. But he and Matt came here together so I think their fates are tied. If we fire Kubiak then I already know the new HC, as they always do, will want to bring their own guy in. I don't think we can have one without the other at this point.

Eli has always been over rated for a multitude of reasons. But hes getting a pass this year because the rest of the offense has collapsed around him.

The offensive line is ancient and slow, and the London Sillynanies could probably bust through it

The run game is all but abandoned. Turns out Ahmad Bradshaw was a bigger piece than they thought.

The recievers are failing to get open, even though they are supposed to be all pros.

There is really very little Eli can do there, and hes forcing a lot of things in the attempt of trying, resulting in more pics.

Flacco is being looked at with a microscope right now because he just got that huge contract after a super bowl win, even though he really was never the reason why.

Schaub should be doing better with the pieces around him, and has one of the best defenses in the NFL to support him, yet is spotting the other team points in every game, largely on poor decision making hes not known for.

Thats why Schaub and Flacco are getting the brunt of it. Timing.