Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kubiak on Schaub

dw49

Yeah, the HC's playcalling is awfully predictable at times and I suspect that if Schaub is indeed benched then my dear fellow rabid fans will turn their claws to Kubiak. He does deserve some blame, as does every coach that has a losing streak like this one and in the fashion the games were lost. But he and Matt came here together so I think their fates are tied. If we fire Kubiak then I already know the new HC, as they always do, will want to bring their own guy in. I don't think we can have one without the other at this point.

Almost every play the texans call i can predict which is sad.....   i can tell when its a play action or a run.  You got to understand on the ints when the defense can easily predict the exact throw and shaub doesn't have the power to read the defense or call an audible then he has to just force a throw that the defense knows is coming but of course this is a colts forum and people are biased.  with a non predictable offensive with schaub able to change plays at the line hands down the texans would be the team to beat.

He's been a good QB over the years but IMO.. nothing special. He's 32 years old and has I think one playoff victory under his belt ? Yes he went 12-4 in 2012 but man.. Adrian Foster , great O Line , A Johnson and a darn good defense , I'm not sure it's a testament for his greatness. They finished one game ahead of the Colts with a far , far superior roster. So if the QB is responsible for the teams record as you insinuate ... hmmmmm. O well... the facts are this. Your team is 2-3 and your coach pretty much says it's not his fault , not the teams fault.. instead it all Schaub's fault and he can't guarantee that he will continue to start. I just reported this and did bring up the old Schaub vs Luck thread. That's flaming ? OK... but I'm here to take mine if Luck ends up to be a bum and Schaub actually is the better QB. Believe me if it happens , you won't even have to post it ... I'll come out and say I was wrong. 

BTW... I would love to know what "the low that inevitably returns " is. Do you mean that Luck really isn't good and he will sooner or later return to playing poorly ? I just don't know what that "low" means . Could it mean a few rookie mistakes he made last year ?

You're right, he hasn't been anything special. But he's been above average, and no one seems to give him credit. A lot of our close call games last year were pulled out by Schaub stepping up to the plate for the first time, believe it or not. Not every QB is solely responsible for his team's record, but elite QBs are supposed to have their players in the thick of it even when their defenses are not up to par. Heck, Rodgers got killed behind his line last year and dealt with a horrid D and he still took his team to the playoffs. I didn't say you were flaming me...I merely said topics like these tend to start flame wars and thank goodness it's late or it would be out of control by this point lol. I do appreciate the civility being expressed here in this thread though, maybe I'm not the forum villain anymore like I used to be haha  What goes up must come down is the old adage....unless 12 rips through the rest of the season and post season undefeated, there will be a low, and the forum will be in disarray again. I'm just saying a lot of people love to dish but can't take. I don't like picking at you guys whenever you lose even if I am happy it means good things for my team. Unless it is a Colt-Texan game....then all restraints are cut and it is on lol.

Eli has always been over rated for a multitude of reasons. But hes getting a pass this year because the rest of the offense has collapsed around him.

The offensive line is ancient and slow, and the London Sillynanies could probably bust through it

The run game is all but abandoned. Turns out Ahmad Bradshaw was a bigger piece than they thought.

The recievers are failing to get open, even though they are supposed to be all pros.

There is really very little Eli can do there, and hes forcing a lot of things in the attempt of trying, resulting in more pics.

Flacco is being looked at with a microscope right now because he just got that huge contract after a super bowl win, even though he really was never the reason why.

Schaub should be doing better with the pieces around him, and has one of the best defenses in the NFL to support him, yet is spotting the other team points in every game, largely on poor decision making hes not known for.

Thats why Schaub and Flacco are getting the brunt of it. Timing.

Yeah, I suppose. But all of these analysts that were yelling Elite not too long ago are awfully quiet when it comes to the Giants. I haven't watched much Giant football but from what I have seen Eli has made quite a few mistakes himself as well.

Almost every play the texans call i can predict which is sad.....   i can tell when its a play action or a run.  You got to understand on the ints when the defense can easily predict the exact throw and shaub doesn't have the power to read the defense or call an audible then he has to just force a throw that the defense knows is coming but of course this is a colts forum and people are biased.  with a non predictable offensive with schaub able to change plays at the line hands down the texans would be the team to beat.

Yeah, you're right. Oh well. It's my fault for coming here so much. :)

For an elite quarterback 7-9 is terrible. TERRIBLE. Terrible terrible terrible terrible. You know this. I will say anything that comes to mind? What are you talking about? Schaub threw for a higher completion percentage, less INTs and got his team more wins last year. I obviously used the Brees comparison because it shows that a team can have a rough patch or a rough year and no one has to write them or their QB off, especially not after three darn games. You didn't connect the dots though, or you are being willfully ignorant of what I am saying. Guess who he was tied with before the 4th? The great Peyton Manning. You act like pick-sixes are a death sentence for a QB that has proven he can win in this league. It is week 5, and we have dealt with worse than this before.

. Here's just the first thing I found researching the Saints D last year...I mean read it and maybe you will stop posting such ridiculous nonsense. Furthermore the only thing Schaub did better than Brees last year was throw less Ints. Here's a news flash for you.. That would more thn likely be a result of his defense giving up 455 points and having to throw some desperation passes. That said he still had a passer rating that was 6 points higher than Schuabs. Bradys was around 99 , Brees around 96 and Schaubs around 90. So how you can compare Bree's 2012 year to the one your guy is now having is insane. As far as the record for pick 6's , text or email Kubiak on that one. I don't view a pick 6 much different than just another int. What I posted on was what your coach said about your QB. I also asked if you still fell Schaub is a better QB than Luck. It's your guy that's calling out the QB . All I'm saying is that's pretty unusual for a coach to talk that way about what you call an elite QB . I happen to think he's less than elite , but I really didn't trash him. You coach did that.

Saints set record: Worst defense in NFL history | Yardbarker.com

www.yardbarker.com/nfl/...worst_defense_in_nfl_history/12540460‎
  •  
  •  

Dec 30, 2012 - There are some things Drew Brees can do nothing about and defense is one of them. Just how bad was the New Orleans Saints defense this ...

You're right, he hasn't been anything special. But he's been above average, and no one seems to give him credit. A lot of our close call games last year were pulled out by Schaub stepping up to the plate for the first time, believe it or not. Not every QB is solely responsible for his team's record, but elite QBs are supposed to have their players in the thick of it even when their defenses are not up to par. Heck, Rodgers got killed behind his line last year and dealt with a horrid D and he still took his team to the playoffs. I didn't say you were flaming me...I merely said topics like these tend to start flame wars and thank goodness it's late or it would be out of control by this point lol. I do appreciate the civility being expressed here in this thread though, maybe I'm not the forum villain anymore like I used to be  haha  What goes up must come down is the old adage....unless 12 rips through the rest of the season and post season undefeated, there will be a low, and the forum will be in disarray again. I'm just saying a lot of people love to dish but can't take. I don't like picking at you guys whenever you lose even if I am happy it means good things for my team. Unless it is a Colt-Texan game....then all restraints are cut and it is on lol

You are right... i was picking on you a bit. Not nice when your team is down. My bad..... although I think you put up a bad argument

. Here's just the first thing I found researching the Saints D last year...I mean read it and maybe you will stop posting such ridiculous nonsense. Furthermore the only thing Schaub did better than Brees last year was throw less Ints. Here's a news flash for you.. That would more thn likely be a result of his defense giving up 455 points and having to throw some desperation passes. That said he still had a passer rating that was 6 points higher than Schuabs. Bradys was around 99 , Brees around 96 and Schaubs around 90. So how you can compare Bree's 2012 year to the one your guy is now having is insane. As far as the record for pick 6's , text or email Kubiak on that one. I don't view a pick 6 much different than just another int. What I posted on was what your coach said about your QB. I also asked if you still fell Schaub is a better QB than Luck. It's your guy that's calling out the QB . All I'm saying is that's pretty unusual for a coach to talk that way about what you call an elite QB . I happen to think he's less than elite , but I really didn't trash him. You coach did that.

Saints set record: Worst defense in NFL history | Yardbarker.com

www.yardbarker.com/nfl/...worst_defense_in_nfl_history/12540460‎
  •  
  •  

Dec 30, 2012 - There are some things Drew Brees can do nothing about and defense is one of them. Just how bad was the New Orleans Saints defense this ...

Dude...pointing out a dog and a cat fighting and saying you don't condone animal violence isn't slick. We had the worst defense in NFL history up until that point in 2010....and guess what Schaub's numbers were? 92 passer rating. 273 ypg. 63.6 completion percentage. Oh yeah, and he put up 4,370 yards. And lost only one less game then a guy being heralded as a future HoF'r already. But this is about the future now....time for Schaub to get his head on straight, hopefully.

Yeah, I suppose. But all of these analysts that were yelling Elite not too long ago are awfully quiet when it comes to the Giants. I haven't watched much Giant football but from what I have seen Eli has made quite a few mistakes himself as well.

Theres a lot of big problems in big blue. Eli is doing what hes always done and trying to force things to happen when nothing is there. Unfortunately, theres nothing there 90% of the time now, because the o-line disentigrates as soon as the ball is snapped, and Eli isnt mobile enough to cover for it.

Schaub's problem is much more mental, and likely isnt helped by Kubiak handcuffing him constantly. I said in another thread the Texans offense has become a chicken/egg scenario. Is Schaub's inability to perform limiting the playcalling, or is the playcalling handcuffing him and forcing him to play below his ability.

I stand by what I said then too. We wont know until one or the other is gone.

Quiz Boy , if it were me , I would apologize for even thinking Schaub was > than Luck. Hard to believe the Texans are 2-3. I owner if that last sentence accurately depicts what Kubiak actually said. If so that's a brutal remark . Pretty much saying that the team is not good enough to overcome how bad Schaub is. Wow....

Texans coach Gary Kubiak was less committal to Matt Schaub as his starting quarterback at Kubiak's Monday presser.

"He is," Kubiak said when asked if Schaub remains Houston's starter, "but I’m evaluating everything to see what gives us best chance to win." T.J. Yates is in the mix to start Week 6. The Texans' offense is designed to be quarterback friendly, but Schaub has an 8:9 TD-to-INT ratio through five weeks, and has thrown a pick-six in an NFL record four straight games. "I’m trying to help (Schaub) push him through it so our team can push through it," Kubiak said. "We’re all disappointed because we’re having to overcome too much."

that will really help Schuabs confidence by announcing he may may not be starter. I am sure were better ways  of answering any    media questions

I read through the original quote from Kubiak and all the posts and am still trying to figure out what Kubiak said that was so bad? He said he was evaluating everything (which he should be doing as it is not all Schaub. I hope he is looking in the mirror as well) and that he has spoken to Schaub (trying to shake him out of this funk). This isn't even in the same ball park as Coughlin calling Eli's picks demoralizing to the whole team and that he had to have a private moment with him at his locker to remind him he is a better Qb then what he is showing.

Me thinks this thread was started just to pile on and gloat. What else is new ...

that will really help Schuabs confidence by announcing he may may not be starter. I am sure were better ways  of answering any    media questions

I thought Kubiak said. "We’re all disappointed because we’re having to overcome too much." was brutal and uncalled for.

I read through the original quote from Kubiak and all the posts and am still trying to figure out what Kubiak said that was so bad? He said he was evaluating everything (which he should be doing as it is not all Schaub. I hope he is looking in the mirror as well) and that he has spoken to Schaub (trying to shake him out of this funk). This isn't even in the same ball park as Coughlin calling Eli's picks demoralizing to the whole team and that he had to have a private moment with him at his locker to remind him he is a better Qb then what he is showing.

Me thinks this thread was started just to pile on and gloat. What else is new ...

You don't think Kubiak threw Shaub under the bus by saying he's playing so horribly that the team can't over come it ? One of us is really nuts...but could be me. 

Anyway ... while were on Schaub , here's something I found in ESPN. It's an insider article so I can't just post the link. I think it's permissible for me to quote a little bit of the article .. so I'll give it a try. What Sano is saying is there are int's that are brutal and really have a big effect on the teams chances of winning the game. The chart he has shows that in the last 5-6 years , Schaub is the clear leader. The only surprise to his list is Brees. Then he goes a step further and calculates  the number of passes these QB's have thrown that dramatically increase the chances to win a ball game. ere as you would expect Brees and the rest of the elite guys are high .. about 20. Schaub was at two. 

Here goes.....Mods.. I've deleted most of the article... hope I'm in compliance.

Why Matt Schaub needs to go in.gif
October, 7, 2013
OCT 7
12:40
PM ET
By Mike Sando | ESPN.com
Ezra Shaw/Getty ImagesMatt Schaub has had a very poor start to the 2013 NFL season.

A little context is in order before we get to Romo, Schaub and the other NFL heartbreakers. Ten years of play-by-play data have set expectations for winning based on specific game circumstances including the score, down, distance, quarter, time remaining, venue and field surface. This data showed the Cowboys with a 55.9 percent win probability when they had first-and-10 from their own 20-yard line with 2:39 remaining in a tie game Sunday. The sack Romo took on first down reduced those chances by 7.7 percentage points. Then came the fateful pick, and, just like that, the Broncos had the ball at the Dallas 24. Denver's win probability stood at 77.6 percent, and the Cowboys were essentially finished. 

Through the late, late game Sunday night, NFL quarterbacks had thrown 2,610 interceptions since 2008. An interception thrown on a 50-yard Hail Mary to end the first half doesn't matter much. A pick thrown in the fourth quarter of a tie game matters a great deal. For the sake of this discussion, I've divided those 2,610 picks into three categories:

• Bad: 60 percent of those picks (1,573 of the 2,610) reduced their teams' win probability by 10 or fewer percentage points. For example, the interception Peyton Manning threw with the Broncos leading 38-33 late in the third quarter Sunday produced a nine-point drop. This was a costly play, not a fatal one.
  • Worse: 30 percent (778) of all picks since 2008 produced reductions in win probability between 10 and 19.9 percentage points. The fourth-quarter interception Tennessee's Ryan Fitzpatrick threw against the Kansas City Chiefs fell into this category. The Titans trailed by three points with 6:23 remaining. The pick reduced their win probability from 38.9 percent to 22.4 percent, a drop of 16.5 points.
  • Worst: 10 percent of interceptions (259) since 2008 reduced their teams' chances by at least 20 percentage points. Romo's pick Sunday fell into this category. So did the interception Eli Manning threw against Philadelphia while trailing 22-21 with 10:49 remaining. That one produced a 24.1-point drop.

Quarterbacks aren't to blame for every interception. Bad luck, bad route running, bad pass protection and other factors come into play. Also, quarterbacks playing well enough to keep their teams competitive will have their teams in position to win -- and therefore in position to suffer significant drops in win probability on a single play. It's impossible to suffer a 20-point drop in win probability if your team has a 10 percent chance of winning. But losing is losing, and this has become a familiar refrain for Schaub. 

Worst of the worst 

The pick-six Schaub threw on the third play of the Houston Texans' 34-3 defeat at San Francisco gave him one in four successive games, a record. It was also his least damaging of the four, by far, because so much time remained in the game. His previous three came deeper into one-score games, affecting win probability by between 24 and 39 percent on each. Those three killer picks give Schaub a league-high 14 in the "worst" category reserved for interceptions reducing win probability by at least 20 percentage points. That's five more than anyone else since 2008. 

INTs Reducing Win Probability By 20+ Pct. QB INTs Att. Pct. Matt Schaub 14 2,585 0.54 Mark Sanchez 9 1,867 0.48 Carson Palmer 9 2,254 0.40 Tony Romo 9 2,571 0.35 Philip Rivers 9 2,805 0.32 Drew Brees 9 3,335 0.27 Chad Henne 8 1,468 0.54 Kyle Orton 8 1,766 0.32 Jay Cutler 8 2,532 0.32 Eli Manning 8 2,855 0.28 Stats cover 2008 to present

Schaub needs a high pain threshold. He has thrown 64 picks since 2008, and 21.9 percent of those fell into the "worst" category. That's twice the league average and is the highest rate for any current NFL starter. 

The chart to the right shows the 10 quarterbacks with at least eight interceptions in the "worst" category since 2008. The final two columns show these plays in relation to total pass attempts. Schaub not only has the highest raw total but also has one of the highest rates per pass attempt. Although Drew Brees is tied for second with nine "worst" interceptions, his percentage is half of Schaub's. 

The pick Arizona's Daryl Washington collected off Carolina's Newton in the fourth quarter of a one-score game Sunday fell into this category, changing win probability by 20.9 points. It was only the third time Newton has thrown one of these. 

Some of the quarterbacks most closely associated with these costly interceptions also rank among the leaders in plays producing the largest positive swings. Fifteen of Eli Manning's touchdown passes since 2008 produced gains in win probability of at least 20 points, by far the most in the NFL in that span. Matthew Stafford (11), Romo (9), Tom Brady (9), Brees (8), Rodgers (8), Ryan (7) and Cutler (7) are next on the list. 

The total for Schaub? Two, tied with a group featuring Troy SmithStephen McGeeShaun Hill,Matt MooreCurtis PainterChristian PonderAlex Smith and a few players whose careers remain in their formative stages.