Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Book of Manning [Merge]

bayone

Manning said he even nixed the idea of the documentary after filming had begun, but he was convinced by his wife. 

"Olivia kind of insisted, this story, maybe my grandchildren would want to see it and need to see it," Manning said on a conference call about the documentary. "So when my wife tells me to do something, I usually do it, and we’re really pleased with it."

There are some great lines in the documentary.

After looking at Manning's prolific college career -- including a game he played with a cast on his broken left arm -- the documentary turns to the lives of his children, Cooper, Peyton and Eli.\

A fun section of the film shows Cooper and Peyton playing football growing up. And Peyton didn't exactly think the odds were on his side. 

"I was three years old, Cooper was five and his good friend Richard was six," Peyton recalls in the documentary. "Somehow the teams ended up those two versus me."

"I think one thing I like so much about the documentary, that Cooper’s role in there is equal to Peyton and Eli’s and that’s the way it should be," Archie said. "

The film, narrated by John Goodman and presented by Chick-Fil-A, airs tonight on ESPN at 6 p.m. MDT. It will re-air on ESPNU at 8 p.m. MDT.  I believe thats 8 & 10 Eastern

its 1.5 hrs long, , 

GOOD story on it Via link with discussion of whats its about

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/The-Book-of-Manning/5862e6f3-aaf7-47cb-89d1-f4e0844e3913

Archie's wife is Olivia. Peyton's wife is Ashley. Just saying so you can edit the thread title. :)

thanks meant Mom  , my mistake and not from lack of sleep, just my mistake , appreciate it

I also added in 1 excerpt 

A fun section of the film shows Cooper and Peyton playing football growing up. And Peyton didn't exactly think the odds were on his side. 

"I was three years old, Cooper was five and his good friend Richard was six," Peyton recalls in the documentary. "Somehow the teams ended up those two versus me."

"I think one thing I like so much about the documentary, that Cooper’s role in there is equal to Peyton and Eli’s and that’s the way it should be," Archie said. "

I have this set to record in my DVR tonight. I'm really looking forward to seeing this program. Thanks for the reminder Barry!

SW1 is so spoiled now. When I can't fast forward through commercials, I almost pout now. Ha! Ha!

Okay, I don't literally cry, but I hate watching commercials unless they make me fall out of my favorite chair though.  :D

I have this set to record in my DVR tonight. I'm really looking forward to seeing this program. Thanks for the reminder Barry!

SW1 is so spoiled now. When I can't fast forward through commercials, I almost pout now. Ha! Ha!

Okay, I don't literally cry, but I hate watching commercials unless they make me fall out of my favorite chair though.  :D

Me too , I know u said u got satellite, its weird , i almost printed wrong info

I never saw this before , I went to the guide and checked times, didnt see the

10  PM at first, so for ESPN  at 8 i looked up view upcoming, which should show all channels and when its currently being aired, usually with my receiver at least for next 2 weeks, so was about to write that I only found the early showing then looked for 

anyway checked guide again at 10 after realizing it was ESPNU

tried smart search SEC storied instead just to see, on ESPN it came up only today, but apparently

ESPNU will air it daily , some days 3x a day starting 1st repeat at midnight through Sunday, so encase u have a conflict and want to record more things than u can pending the receiver u have many choices ofg when its will be aired

thats all, staying awake for the game totally killed me,. had to sleep again in afternoon, still woozy, also only way able to stay up was drink coffee at halftime, 

of course had it being recorded just encase, as well as various immediate post game sports chanels

"The film, narrated by John Goodman." Sweet! A good storytelling voice means everything. It carries the reader along, provides smooth transitions, & the right voice gives a subject worthy of the Manning family the grandeur & gravitas it truly deserves. 

Plus, I always liked John Goodman as Dan Connors on the TV comedy "Roseanne," Walter the smart caboose, know-it-all Vietnam Vet in the "The Big Lebowski" & a friend of Jack Kevorkian's in the documentary "You Don't Know Jack" released in 2010 named Neal Nicol. An intriguing movie about assisted suicides by a Dr. & alleviating terminally ill patients from their suffering.

A top notch narrator makes a world of difference & John Goodman should fit the bill nicely IMO. SW1 performed storytelling in high school Forensics. Setting the right tone & mood is essential.  

Me too , I know u said u got satellite, its weird , i almost printed wrong info

I never saw this before , I went to the guide and checked times, didnt see the

10  PM at first, so for ESPN  at 8 i looked up view upcoming, which should show all channels and when its currently being aired, usually with my receiver at least for next 2 weeks, so was about to write that I only found the early showing then looked for 

anyway checked guide again at 10 after realizing it was ESPNU

tried smart search SEC storied instead just to see, on ESPN it came up only today, but apparently

ESPNU will air it daily , some days 3x a day starting 1st repeat at midnight through Sunday, so encase u have a conflict and want to record more things than u can pending the receiver u have many choices ofg when its will be aired

thats all, staying awake for the game totally killed me,. had to sleep again in afternoon, still woozy, also only way able to stay up was drink coffee at halftime, 

of course had it being recorded just encase, as well as various immediate post game sports chanels

Speaking of checking stuff. I need to verify once the show is recorded that it is a good copy. Lately, where I live, we've been getting some intense rainfall & as a result, sometimes recorded program fail to display on screen properly & I definitely want a good HD copy of this program. Again, you rock brother Barry. Thanks for starting this topic. I really appreciate it!  :thmup:

"The film, narrated by John Goodman." Sweet! A good storytelling voice means everything. It carries the reader along, provides smooth transitions, & the right voice gives a subject worthy of the Manning family the grandeur & gravitas it truly deserves. 

Plus, I always liked John Goodman as Dan Connors on the TV comedy "Roseanne," Walter the smart caboose, know-it-all Vietnam Vet in the "The Big Lebowski" & a friend of Jack Kevorkian's in the documentary "You Don't Know Jack" released in 2010 named Neal Nicol. An intriguing movie about assisted suicides by a Dr. & alleviating terminally ill patients from their suffering.

A top notch narrator makes a world of difference & John Goodman should fit the bill nicely IMO. SW1 performed storytelling in high school Forensics. Setting the right tone & mood is essential.  

Goodman 's great but I know the real, reason u like him, he was voted sexiest big man of the year while on Roseanne

speaking of Kevorkian, I my good friend   way  back  many a year calls me up and says I had to met his cousin that night, I hate blind dates, been on very few ,  but he guarantees me I wont be disappointed and as is my friend & his cousin i said OK

Lets just say was great night, lets say was strange night in great restaurant too, believe me u cant imagine whatever u r thinking, PM me if care and when have time I will tell u something u may not believe as I didnt but saw it ( Know u r wondering now ) & is a result of her  adorable child's father using the good drs talents 

Once I see the program, SW1 will give you his 2 cents on it. Okay, I tend to get longwinded so maybe I should say that I will give you my $10 review of it instead. LOL!

Not that funny I know, but it made me chuckle anyway.  haha There's a fine line between humor & insanity you know, but I digress...

Speaking of checking stuff. I need to verify once the show is recorded that it is a good copy. Lately, where I live, we've been getting some intense rainfall & as a result, sometimes recorded program fail to display on screen properly & I definitely want a good HD copy of this program. Again, you rock brother Barry. Thanks for starting this topic. I really appreciate it!  :thmup:

well as I said on ESPNU its every day so can look up times, if u need to make another or do a few just encase 

never mind here ESPN U channel 208 for me 206 is regular ESPN , all times eastern

Initial today ESPN U - at 10 PM

WED 12 AM, 4:30 AM & 8:30 AM 

Thursday 4 PM

Friday 6:30 PM

Sat 2:30 AM<, 7 AM & 7 PM

Sunday 7 PM

UNLESS I errored , 

In Fact I may make a few copies just encase is major thunderstorm then can get whats called pixelation, very rare though and dont know if can stay awake again to watch first showing, need my beauty slep ( LOL )

Goodnight, so tired from the game, getting off

Manning said he even nixed the idea of the documentary after filming had begun, but he was convinced by his wife. 

"Olivia kind of insisted, this story, maybe my grandchildren would want to see it and need to see it," Manning said on a conference call about the documentary. "So when my wife tells me to do something, I usually do it, and we’re really pleased with it."

There are some great lines in the documentary.

After looking at Manning's prolific college career -- including a game he played with a cast on his broken left arm -- the documentary turns to the lives of his children, Cooper, Peyton and Eli.\

The film, narrated by John Goodman and presented by Chick-Fil-A, airs tonight on ESPN at 6 p.m. MDT. It will re-air on ESPNU at 8 p.m. MDT.  I believe thats 8 & 10 Eastern

its 1.5 hrs long, , 

GOOD story on it Via link with discussion of whats its about

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/The-Book-of-Manning/5862e6f3-aaf7-47cb-89d1-f4e0844e3913

Thanks for the info Barry. It's good to see you staying in touch as much as you can. Tomorrow night on NFL channel there is a show called Man to Man and Luck will be interviewed by Michael Irvin. It's on at 10 pm. Might be a good look. Vick and Wilson are interviewed also. 

Goodman 's great but I know the real, reason u like him, he was voted sexiest big man of the year while on Roseanne

speaking of Kevorkian, I my good friend   way  back  many a year calls me up and says I had to met his cousin that night, I hate blind dates, been on very few ,  but he guarantees me I wont be disappointed and as is my friend & his cousin i said OK

Lets just say was great night, lets say was strange night in great restaurant too, believe me u cant imagine whatever u r thinking, PM me if care and when have time I will tell u something u may not believe as I didnt but saw it ( Know u r wondering now ) & is a result of her  adorable child's father using the good drs talents 

That sounds like a fascinating story Barry. Definitely PM me & I promise you that I will reply back. I always found Kevorkian fascinating & how different cultures interpret death & dying. Plus, when you consider that a Dr. must do no harm to their patient via the hippocratic oath, it is intriguing when you ask when does mercy enter into the debate of dignity in death. I grasp both sides of the issue. The passion at both ends of the spectrum. 

Huh, John Goodman was voted sexist man of the year while on Roseanne...Cool...I like that. We can't all have wash board abs...Mine are insulated. Ha! Ha! 

I can't wait to read that story on your unique night out buddy. No joke. controversial people always fascinate me, even relatives of unorthodox people too. 60 minutes did a nice feature on Kevorkian too several years ago too. It was very good. Journalist Steve Kroft dealt with his childhood, unique artwork, & what motived him to do what he did. 

Reminds me of a program I saw once on how coroners & medical examiners get trained & the death rituals they study across the globe nation to nation. It was memorable to witness that's for sure. Okay, back on topic...

That sounds like a fascinating story Barry. Definitely PM me & I promise you that I will reply back. I always found Kevorkian fascinating & how different cultures interpret death & dying. Plus, when you consider that a Dr. must do no harm to their patient via the hippocratic oath, it is intriguing when you ask when does mercy enter into the debate of dignity in death. I grasp both sides of the issue. The passion at both ends of the spectrum. 

Huh, John Goodman was voted sexist man of the year while on Roseanne...Cool...I like that. We can't all have wash board abs...Mine are insulated. Ha! Ha! 

I can't wait to read that story on your unique night out buddy. No joke. controversial people always fascinate me, even relatives of unorthodox people too. 60 minutes did a nice feature on Kevorkian too several years ago too. It was very good. Journalist Steve Kroft dealt with his childhood, unique artwork, & what motived him to do what he did. 

Thats Sexiest Big Man of the year

will take some time, not tonight , also depends on how much want to write, , but i swear I can write 1 key line  only that would blow your mind

, just finishing some e-mails to Docs &  added something Re Pryor  , that concisuuion was so bad he cant remember the game, just posted a topic on it

Thanks for the info Barry. It's good to see you staying in touch as much as you can. Tomorrow night on NFL channel there is a show called Man to Man and Luck will be interviewed by Michael Irvin. It's on at 10 pm. Might be a good look. Vick and Wilson are interviewed also. 

Thanks CC1! SW1 will definitely check it out. I hope the interview is more riveting than why Luck carries a flip phone or does it really blow being short Wilson & buying clothes in the vertically challenged section? Only teasing! LOL!  lmao

Will be asleep , it will be DVR'd

goodnight, diner,, finish moms mail responces( hate getting mail, always more to do )   ,then lay down and watch the special if can stay up if not its DVR'd

Thats Sexiest Big Man of the year

will take some time, not tonight , also depends on how much want to write, , but i swear I can write 1 key line  only that would blow your mind

, just finishing some e-mails to Docs &  added something Re Pryor  , that concisuuion was so bad he cant remember the game, just posted a topic on it

I really need to proof read better. Funny! 

"i swear I can write 1 key line  only that would blow your mind"....Okay, I'm at the edge of my seat now Barry. Turn that into a movie screenplay & you'll be buying glorious homes all over the world buddy! 

I will check out your Pryor topic too. I promise. QB Terrell Pryor not comedian Richard Pryor right? Just Kidding! 

I'm actually amazed that Pryor got up & walked to the locker room. His momma's momma felt that last collision man...Ouch! 

I just saw a show on ESPN, under the title of SEC Storied. It was an hour and a half documentary on the Manning family. Showed Archie, Cooper, Peyton, and Eli growing up, the hardships, the joy, lots and  lots of old footage from high school and college. There were things never told before, and from one of the advertisements for it, they reported that Peyton originally didn't want to do it, but Mom Olivia talked him into it. A lot of it was about Archie, his life growing up, how it made him who he is today, then Cooper, Peyton, and Eli..

I thought it was well done, and I learned a couple of new things that I previously hadn't known about the family...I know there are still a lot of Manning fans still here on the Forum, if you can catch this program, its definitely worth a watch..

Just wanted to share..if anyone watched it, please let me know what you thought of it..

I really need to proof read better. Funny! 

"i swear I can write 1 key line  only that would blow your mind"....Okay, I'm at the edge of my seat now Barry. Turn that into a movie screenplay & you'll be buying glorious homes all over the world buddy! 

I will check out your Pryor topic too. I promise. QB Terrell Pryor not comedian Richard Pryor right? Just Kidding! 

I'm actually amazed that Pryor got up & walked to the locker room. His momma's momma felt that last collision man...Ouch! 

show was great 3 things stuck out , actually really many

but here are 3 in order of presentation

1. age 3 Peyton dragged down by hand in uniform neck top & said u cant do that, -- he knew about horse collar tackling back then was illegal or should of been

2. Peyton in HS or so, & says he wants to call a play and coach allows and calls a double reverse and throws for TD , &  pointing finger at   coach saying  didnt know anything

3, Cooper surgery, that picture of him   from the back with head shaved and 6 inch scar on neck  , I had same picture, still do somewhere in a draw and then the relearning how to walk and a post op complication as well, not a blood clot but infection & then 40 days in hospital

Always felt sort of sorry for Cooper.  It really has to suck to be sort of the forgotten man in your family.  Especially when had it not been for your body breaking down you could have been there too.

A lot of people probably don't know that Peyton is not the eldest brother in the Manning family. 

Always felt sort of sorry for Cooper.  It really has to suck to be sort of the forgotten man in your family.  Especially when had it not been for your body breaking down you could have been there too.

A lot of people probably don't know that Peyton is not the eldest brother in the Manning family. 

I don't think Cooper was a forgotten man being his father is Archie. Cooper is a very successful business man who has made over 15 million dollars. 

think many do know at least on this site , but thats cause he was with our colts, Imagine Cooper goes to ole  miss and peyton follows to throw to him and play with brother , what chemistry they must of had if ever got on same team in NFL, not often u throw to a stud WR he was projectec-d going into tendencies

Will be asleep , it will be DVR'd

goodnight, diner,, finish moms mail responces( hate getting mail, always more to do )   ,then lay down and watch the special if can stay up if not its DVR'd

somehow saw last night so again am not awake, also was on again at 8 this am so watched again in background as did computer work

I don't think Cooper was a forgotten man being his father is Archie. Cooper is a very successful business man who has made over 15 million dollars. 

somehow saw last night so again am not awake, also was on again at 8 this am so watched again in background as did computer work, but no way watching the 10 PM start of ho f famers interviewing Luck &b Others, that gets DVRd for sure, not sure why Vick is being interviewed if read write

& sure if ever wanted for something that family would  bail one out as needed

I can't think of any family that shows more class than the Manning family. With a father such as Archie it is no wonder that all 3 of his sons are successful. Cooper could have went the wrong direction with depression had he not had great family support. 

I can't think of any family that shows more class than the Manning family. With a father such as Archie it is no wonder that all 3 of his sons are successful. Cooper could have went the wrong direction with depression had he not had great family support. 

Hey I could of too , went from 4 workouts a week to a beached whale with an extra 90 pounds on a 5 ' 4 " frame before finally being diagnosed after 9 months of inactivity save still doing surgery & told I should of been a quadriplegic and then a post op infection yet, eating hospital food for v40 days gaining more weight , took many a year before could wake up and roll out of bed by 11 AM et alone be back down to 135 pounds instead of 250 + from the cervical stenosis  alonmg 5 vertebrea and lack of workouts & hospital food 

Wasn't aware he was that successful.  I knew he was in business but didn't know he was a multi-millionare.  Well done for him.  

No matter how successful he became in business, he made clear that he missed football.

Expected, his dream was shattered, and then has to watch brothers rise to greatness & # 1 picks , but sure he is happy for them, he made the best of a bad situation, must give him great credit too

Once I see the program, SW1 will give you his 2 cents on it. Okay, I tend to get longwinded so maybe I should say that I will give you my $10 review of it instead. LOL!

Not that funny I know, but it made me chuckle anyway.  haha There's a fine line between humor & insanity you know, but I digress...

BTW as made 2 copies each around the 40 - 42  minute mark, interesting that each copy has entire show but is about 1 minute off where a frame is, anyway both copies just before or after Olivia   talks about kids  playing in backyards and notes basketball as 1 sport and pans to playing basketball, anyway before or just after her at that point there is a quick less than a second smear on the film , as its on both copies expect it , its part of the filming and also is on a position of the show  shown on sports center so its again a film issue and takes nothing away so dont worry about it

Awww man.... A day late and a dollar short. I just saw this and it aired yesterday

No worries see my comment # 10, 

here are remaining  replay times, only on ESPN u , not espn, , its 1.5 hrs of Joy

on satellite espn is 206 & Espn is 208 near Detroit

ESPN U

Thursday 4 PM

Friday 6:30 PM

Sat 2:30 AM, , 7 AM & 7 PM

Sunday 7 PM

UNLESS I errored , 

I watched the documentary and I have a new respect for Archie Manning...

It was an amazing story, I love ESPN and their documentaries...especially this one.

I hope they keep making these documentaries, along the 30/30 ones.

Back to topic, I think Eli did the right thing by going to Ole Miss', he took off some hear from his father and brother by going there. There was a lot of pressure on him to do well in college because of his brother in Tennessee.

I also agree with the others, I felt super bad for Cooper Manning, it would be hard for me to sit on the sidelines and watch your whole family being able to play in the pros.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally sat down & watched this marvelous documentary revealing what made Archie Manning a great human being: The drive to be a loving & caring father to his 3 sons: Cooper, Peyton, & Eli largely because Archie's father had difficulty expressing affection to his son &, after Archie discovered his dad's body from a gunshot wound, he knew how important family was & to let them know what they mean to you individually.

My dad grew up with a stern father too who never really showed affection very often. That's why SW1 goes out of my to hug my nephews, joke around with them, & let them know that their uncle will always be there for them no matter what. Why? Because I saw firsthand what a strict father who never told his son that he was proud of him & loves him does to a person.  I also respect that Archie Manning gave Peyton & Eli the freedom to choose their colleges without any undue influence or guilt trips. 

What hit me hardest was when Cooper Manning could no longer pursue his dream of playing college football due to a spinal issue & his brother Peyton took his high school football number 18 & told Cooper in a letter "You will live football through me now." And then you see tears well up in Cooper's eyes...Jesus, that would be like if someone told me that I could no longer play percussion anymore or I was going deaf & I could no longer listen to music or my favorite bands or musicians anymore. I would be crushed, demoralized, & devastated. 

I am really proud of Archie Manning because not enough men in this world get enough credit for raising well adjusted children & for being an exceptional father. So many men are absent in their children's lives. Not Archie he wants his sons to be loving, kind, responsible, & giving individuals...Bravo Archie Bravo! Trophies mean nothing next to family & letting your children & siblings know that they are respected, admired, & loved for who they are above all else.