Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brutal on TRich

chrisfarley

Richardson had over 1,300 from scrimmage as a rookie, with the Browns (while not being 100% healthy the whole year).  This writer is an * -- Vick Ballard has less than 1,000 yards (966) from scrimmage on a better team than the Browns and we all thought he was fantastic.

In fact, I don't know the last time that the Colts had a RB produce over 1,300 yards from scrimmage in a single season .... my best bet would be Addai in '06 or '07, but it might go all the way back to Edge.  Richardson did this as a rookie, for the Browns (a terrible team, one that he was by far the biggest threat and major focus of all opposing D's)

Richardson is just fine.  I don't even know if AP could come to a new team, with a new scheme, on a Thursday and produce very well on Sunday.

Call this an excuse if you want, but Richardson barely had time to get comfortable with the team, let alone play effectively. The moment he heard about the trade from his friend and on the radio, he got over to Indy, had to undergo a physical, then immediately was working on blitz pick-up packages. He did the best he could with what little time he had left. Not to mention the guy was clearly saddened by the trade, so mentally, his head may not have been in the game.

Again, call them excuses, but the guy is a human being.

You just can't expect a player to show up with a new team, mid season, having no experience with that team before and expect him to perform at a high level.  

Playbooks are not learned in 2 days.  

I'm not worried about ole Trent, he is going to be just fine. I'm just ready to see him go to work against the Jaguars. He still won't be up to full speed, but I just have a feeling we are going to find out a lot more of what he have than we did last week. I still say he only gets 12-15 carries about 2-3 targets in the passing game but I bet he turns out a lot better results.

Based on all the negativity on TRich in certain articles and such, is AB thinking the same thing? You know, is he thinking that he is better than TRich and that TRich might be a bust like the Browns think?  I can't get into AB's head but he sure was angry at the 49ers game (i realize he also lost a relative).  He proved one thing for sure.  TRich better come to play EVERY down, because there may be a new sheriff in town, but Bradshaw just may be the unfetchable outlaw.

Facts are facts until he proves them wrong. He averages 3.5 ypc; yes we all know he had the box stacked a lot when he was in Cleveland. That won't wash in Indy with Luck at QB. If he goes this season averaging 3.5-3.9 per carry, we will probably have a better handle on the runner he is. I'm hoping he proves it all wrong and clicks off about 4.5 ypc. We'll see.

Facts are facts until he proves them wrong. He averages 3.5 ypc; yes we all know he had the box stacked a lot when he was in Cleveland. That won't wash in Indy with Luck at QB. If he goes this season averaging 3.5-3.9 per carry, we will probably have a better handle on the runner he is. I'm hoping he proves it all wrong and clicks off about 4.5 ypc. We'll see.

what's your prediction as far as how many yards he will have when we face the Jags Sunday (I realize its many many days away, but I figured I'd get a prediction)

Based on all the negativity on TRich in certain articles and such, is AB thinking the same thing? You know, is he thinking that he is better than TRich and that TRich might be a bust like the Browns think?  I can't get into AB's head but he sure was angry at the 49ers game (i realize he also lost a relative).  He proved one thing for sure.  TRich better come to play EVERY down, because there may be a new sheriff in town, but Bradshaw just may be the unfetchable outlaw.

Unlikely, Ahmad Bradshaw is a veteran who started for the Super Bowl winning Giants for quite a few years and is a proven bruiser. He got cut because the Giants didn't think he had any tread left on the tires, and went in to Indy expecting to split carries with Vick Ballard. The only thing that's really changed is that instead of Ballard, he's splitting it with Richardson.

Ahmad Bradshaw historically tears up the 9'ers though, so seeing him run rampant on them was really just him doing what he does.

Unlikely, Ahmad Bradshaw is a veteran who started for the Super Bowl winning Giants for quite a few years and is a proven bruiser. He got cut because the Giants didn't think he had any tread left on the tires, and went in to Indy expecting to split carries with Vick Ballard. The only thing that's really changed is that instead of Ballard, he's splitting it with Richardson.

Ahmad Bradshaw historically tears up the 9'ers though, so seeing him run rampant on them was really just him doing what he does.

Yea, and look what the 49ers are doing to Jeff Fischer's squad in their own house!!!!!!

One thing I noticed, when Richardson was in the game, they seemed to bring another guy up in the box. They didn't do it every time, but they looked to have done it more than they did when Bradshaw was in the backfield. I did like seeing how the 49'ers put A LOT of effort in trying to tackle him. Even the short runs he had it looked like they needed 3-4 guys to help get him down. He's going to get his, I have no doubts, but this is kind of rediculous in the fact the guy was traded on Wednesday and absorbed enough of the playbook to play on Sunday. Give the kid some time... geesh.

When teams do that it is on Luck to read the D and audible. If they stack the box and we still run, then it is usually a win for the defense. We have to make them pay for stacking the box with pass plays. Keeps the defense honest.

When teams do that it is on Luck to read the D and audible. If they stack the box and we still run, then it is usually a win for the defense. We have to make them pay for stacking the box with pass plays. Keeps the defense honest.

Richardson likely wasnt that familiar with all the audibles yet. Its something the team will get better at in time as everyone settles in.

I completely agree. I still think Luck is having issues with this as it was very evident in the Raiders game and later in the Miami game. He will get it figured out, and once he does, this offense will be on a whole new level.

He didn't have the box stacked this year alot(consistently saw 7 but did have a few 8's but not nearly as many as some make it sound.....I recorded the numbers in this thread somewhere I believe watching Game Rewind), Last year Im not sure however

He didn't have the box stacked this year alot(consistently saw 7 but did have a few 8's but not nearly as many as some make it sound.....I recorded the numbers in this thread somewhere I believe watching Game Rewind), Last year Im not sure however

Gore was tearing it up today.  I would like to see him (TRich) have that type of production, parallel to what Frank Gore has done for the first several years of his career.  Gore was gashing and slashing his way to 150 or so yards and in the process had about a 7.7 ypc avg.  I realize Gore's a special player and it's probably unfair to compare proven talent to un-proven talent, but just sayin'.

Gore was tearing it up today.  I would like to see him (TRich) have that type of production, parallel to what Frank Gore has done for the first several years of his career.  Gore was gashing and slashing his way to 150 or so yards and in the process had about a 7.7 ypc avg.  I realize Gore's a special player and it's probably unfair to compare proven talent to un-proven talent, but just sayin'.

I think you have picked out a very fair comparison. Roughly, the same type runners. Our RB's (without Luck's ypc) are averaging 4.4 ypc. For the price, I'm hoping we see TRich hit 4.5-5.0 at least. Against the Jags, I'm hoping he gets about 10-15 carries and 50-75 yds.

Grigson is like a mad-scientist at work.  Filling up different test tubes with mixtures of players that will allow Pep to blend into one unstoppable concoction.  A bushel of crazy good QB, a touch of quality veteran leadership at WR, two rough-tough RB's, a smidgeon of speed at both WR, TE and RB.... and so on.  I see TRich's YPC going up to 4.5 in the near future and maybe people will cut him some slack.