Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck visits seriously injured High school player

Valpo2004

Seems odd the high school didn't call an ambulance, instead they get, " hey you might wanna take your kid to the the ER " speeding vehicles with blinkers don't get the same kind of right of way as a ambulance.

That was nice of Luck to visit him though.

Wow.  That kid suffered some brutal injuries.  Here's hoping he heals up quickly.  And it's awesome to see Luck do this kind of stuff

I'll say..." a ruptured spleen, lacerated kidney and punctured lung." Holy Moly Man! I'm glad you are still here Mr. Bailey; Your guardian angel must have been watching over you son.

It was nice of Luck to swing by to lift Steven's spirits. 

Seems odd the high school didn't call an ambulance, instead they get, " hey you might wanna take your kid to the the ER " speeding vehicles with blinkers don't get the same kind of right of way as a ambulance.

That was nice of Luck to visit him though.

Yeah Joker, that is an excellent point. Why would a school claim he's fine, give him a pair of crutches, & just walk away? I wish all high school athletic Depts were required to have an EMT or certified medical personnel on the field at all times to prevent a fatal misdiagnosis on the field.

That's the pink elephant in the room here, especially with internal bleeding when the window between life & death may not always be wide open. Minutes do matter here...

Yeah Joker, that is an excellent point. Why would a school claim he's fine, give him a pair of crutches, & just walk away? I wish all high school athletic Depts were required to have an EMT or certified medical personnel on the field at all times to prevent a fatal misdiagnosis on the field.

That's the pink elephant in the room here, especially with internal bleeding when the window between life & death may not always be wide open. Minutes do matter here...

I never played football but I remember going to High School football games and they actually parked an ambulance right outside of a fence just off of the field and just left it there during game time.

Surprised that they didn't even think to call the paramedics for him.  

Or the most local hospital to be on call, I guess location could be the issue here.

I never played football but I remember going to High School football games and they actually parked an ambulance right outside of a fence just off of the field and just left it there during game time.

That's what I remembered to and it wasn't that close to a hospital being in Knightstown.

Or the most local hospital to be on call, I guess location could be the issue here.

Good points Valpo2004 & Joker. I'm not trying to blame the school or their staff here at all. Just that it seems like the school district in question wasn't well prepared to handle a life threatening injury. No one plans to fail. They just fail to plan & the school itself didn't seem well equipped to handle the situation.

True, I wasn't there I will admit that & I don't have a 1st hand account of how the scene really unfolded, but the reporter in the article made no mention of any ambulance on site or their crew checking the injured player's vital signs right then & there either. If this player had tragically died, that school would have been in considerable legal trouble. 

Yes, internal bleeding can be missed & is difficult to detect if EMTs aren't looking for it specifically, but at least if the patient flatlines on route to the hospital, they can put on their emergency sirens & cut threw traffic faster than his parents or any ordinary civilian could. 

Good points Valpo2004 & Joker. I'm not trying to blame the school or their staff here at all. Just that it seems like the school district in question wasn't well prepared to handle a life threatening injury. No one plans to fail. They just fail to plan & the school itself didn't seem well equipped to handle the situation.

True, I wasn't there I will admit that & I don't have a 1st hand account of how the scene really unfolded, but the reporter in the article made no mention of any ambulance on site or their crew checking the injured player's vital signs right then & there either. If this player had tragically died, that school would have been in considerable legal trouble. 

Yes, internal bleeding can be missed & is difficult to detect if EMTs aren't looking for it specifically, but at least if the patient flatlines on route to the hospital, they can put on their emergency sirens & cut threw traffic faster than his parents or any ordinary civilian could. 

Yeah i went to school in LaPorte and the high school wasn't that far to the hospital either.  Honestly I think at the very least most high school games as well as lower level college games should have a ambulance standing by unless there is a hospital right across the street or something.  (I say that because Valparaiso University literally had a hospital right next to the football field when I went there.  Although that hospital is being moved and they are razing the old one so that will no longer be true in the future.)

NFL and FBS level teams have more highly trained medical teams on hand so that they could possibly stabilize a player until a EMS arrived.  But they don't have that at the lower levels.