Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm tired of the Andrew lUck speculation game

amff

I've just given up on trying to talk sense to people. If some people don't want Luck, I can understand that but some of the reasons or comparisons that I've seen posted here as to why they don't want Luck is so completely stupid it's comical. It's very obvious to me that these same people have not really seen this kid play too much(or any at all even though they will say they have) so they either just repeat stuff they hear from others or they make up ignorant stuff that they think sounds intelligent. Anybody that has legitimately watched him for the last 3 yrs. would know he is not the typical hyped up prospect. He is without doubt, the closest thing to Manning that has came out since Manning and why any Colts fan would not want to take a chance on that is crazy IMO.

I agree I don't think people here realize just how good Luck is, hes being touted as the best prospect SINCE Manning he has great accuracy, strong arm, good size, and will benefit from learning from Manning.

Why pass up on a player who can bring us 10 more years of possible great QB play if he has to sit for 3 or 4? It doesn't make sense.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sold until we see him without a crazy good O-line and run game, and coaching staff.

Luck might very well be mediocre at best if you take those things away. We have a terrible O-line and a run game which is finally starting to surface after years of being absent. Throw the worst coaching staff in the league on top of it and he might lead us nowhere fast.

We have the GOAT (so far) NOW. He has 2-5 years left. Win while we can.

Give him an O-line/ Time to let plays develop.

Give him a D that can win a game here and there.

Give him special teams that deserve to see an NFL field.

Give him a coaching staff.

Seriously, any single or ideally combination of the above gives us a great shot of a championship in the next few years. God willing you give the man a remotely complete team to work with we'd win it all nearly every season. Time is running out. As great as 18 is, he can't do it all alone. (See 2006 when the D finally helped out, and that was only in the playoffs) GIVE HIM HELP.

It seems like it's the same people who thought we were gonna be ok with Collins are the same people saying drafting Luck is not the way to go. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. No one expected Peyton to play this season. Many of you were 100% sure he was gonna start the first game of the season. No we are 0-4 with no sign of Peyton coming back this year. He MAY come back next year and he may NOT. If the chance is there to take Luck...WE TAKE IT! It's a good business move for the future. 15 years down the line is more important than 2-5 years down the line IMO. If we have a chance to take the future now, take it.

everything i heard from mike maylock about tebow is he was not a first round qb and would be a bust. and after peyton retires then what? we draft a rookie qb? we wont be in any better situation then we are right now. with luck he wold have knowledge of the system once he takes over.

Andrew Luck will not want to come to this team, cause he will not be a starter... he would pull a eli manning.... end of.

Tebow was never considered a "can't miss prospect". Many questioned whether his game would translate well to the NFL. There were concerns about his size, style of play, etc. The Broncos were considered to have "reached" when they drafted him. Luck is a much more highly regarded quarterback. There is no comparison between the two.

Peyton's career could very well be shortened because of the neck surgeries. There are no guarantees on how many more years if any we have left with him at QB.

None the less there were many fans who were gassing about Tebow just like they are with Luck... no one knows how he will translate, the way i see it if the colts are in the top 5 in the draft they will not make a move to get him unless he falls to them, peyton will give a heads up on when he wants to retire and when he does the colts will go look for a QB but until then... id pass on luck.

It seems like it's the same people who thought we were gonna be ok with Collins are the same people saying drafting Luck is not the way to go. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. No one expected Peyton to play this season. Many of you were 100% sure he was gonna start the first game of the season. No we are 0-4 with no sign of Peyton coming back this year. He MAY come back next year and he may NOT. If the chance is there to take Luck...WE TAKE IT! It's a good business move for the future. 15 years down the line is more important than 2-5 years down the line IMO. If we have a chance to take the future now, take it.

If that is even close to being true why in the world would the colts still have him on the active roster? peyton will be back next season.. im not for getting luck but im a staunch painter fan, the colts do not need luck... because he is not going to play when peyton returns.. im all for getting the future QB BUT not now although this may be the perfect season to get one because of the colts early round pick but they will not get luck.

There was no hype? are you mad? ppl called Tim Tebow the savior coming out of college... And what gurantee? you dont know that, in the nfl nothing is guranteed except imminent retirement.

Peyton manning will not be a temporary fix either, he will be the starter for another good three years or even four.... and who is gonna develop him? the colts certainly dont have anybody on their coaching staff anymore to turn him into a leader.

Maybe your memory is not as good as you think. He was project 2nd. round. What kind of hype do you get with that? You might to watch Luck play before you declare him the next Ryan Leaf. Just say'n

None the less there were many fans who were gassing about Tebow just like they are with Luck... no one knows how he will translate, the way i see it if the colts are in the top 5 in the draft they will not make a move to get him unless he falls to them, peyton will give a heads up on when he wants to retire and when he does the colts will go look for a QB but until then... id pass on luck.

The gasing is no where close to being the same between the two. There is more buzz surrounding Luck right now than there was for Peyton Manning. Consider that when Peyton was a senior, it was widely debated as to who was the better prospect at his position him or Ryan Leaf. Luck is touted as the best prospect since Peyton and there isn't anyone in his class even close.

The Colts very well may not be in position to even draft him, but if they are then I am confident that they will not pass him up. They'd be fools if they did.

Peyton is beloved but he is not above being replaced if his skills deteriorate or if he is not healthy enough to play at the level we have become accustomed to seeing. In the end, the Colts will do what is best for their future.

Maybe your memory is not as good as you think. He was project 2nd. round. What kind of hype do you get with that? You might to watch Luck play before you declare him the next Ryan Leaf. Just say'n

Idk what draft projection you was watching.. and yours was evidently wrong since he was drafted in the 1st round... there was alot of hype from when he was in college to when he was in training camp... did you not pay attention to nfl network in the preseason? and maybe you need to read more about ryan leaf, the guy was great in college... im not gonna say the guy is gonna be a bust, but im not gonna say he's gonna be a great QB either because no one knows that at all.

The gasing is no where close to being the same between the two. There is more buzz surrounding Luck right now than there was for Peyton Manning. Consider that when Peyton was a senior, it was widely debated as to who was the better prospect at his position him or Ryan Leaf. Luck is touted as the best prospect since Peyton and there isn't anyone in his class even close.

The Colts very well may not be in position to even draft him, but if they are then I am confident that they will not pass him up. They'd be fools if they did.

Peyton is beloved but he is not above being replaced if his skills deteriorate or if he is not healthy enough to play at the level we have become accustomed to seeing. In the end, the Colts will do what is best for their future.

I wonder if peyton wasnt hurt would they be saying that.... the main reason they are saying that is because peyton is hurt and right now the colts look like they could be in the position to get him. Im not even gonna go on this because this guy may not even come out for the draft.

If that is even close to being true why in the world would the colts still have him on the active roster? peyton will be back next season.. im not for getting luck but im a staunch painter fan, the colts do not need luck... because he is not going to play when peyton returns.. im all for getting the future QB BUT not now although this may be the perfect season to get one because of the colts early round pick but they will not get luck.

None of us know if Peyton will come back next year healthy or not. That's why the Colts put in his contract he has to pass a physical first before he can get a paycheck (can't find the source right now but it has been said on this board plenty of times). If they were 100% about Peyton, why would they put that in his contract? I'm not counting out Peyton but you can't look at this situation from a fan's perspective. IMO, Peyton will be back, but from a business standpoint, we have to protect the future. You are right, we don't NEED Luck, but opportunities like this will not come around.

Like I said before, I'm all for not getting Luck if we make our team bigger (not brayton and anderson bigger), build an elite defense, and a line that will run block, but if not then we should draft Luck.

Also, why can't we draft Luck and sign who we need out of FA? Like you say, if this is a "now" situation, can't we sign a lineman out of FA? It will take time for any rookies we draft to learn and become better. Why not draft Luck if this isn't a "Next-Man-Up" team? Luck is one of a kind. He is not a Leaf, Tebow, Bradford, etc.

If Peyton is back next year, it wouldn't surprise me if we went for Justin Blackmon or Ryan Broyles to give him another top class reciever to throw to. We should draft a QB, but whether or not we will is another matter.

If we do draft a QB, I actually like Kellen Moore more than Andrew Luck. Yes he may be on the small side, but he's incredibly accurate, can recognise a blitz and change the play at the line, and he's a proven winner.....exactly like Peyton!

None of us know if Peyton will come back next year healthy or not. That's why the Colts put in his contract he has to pass a physical first before he can get a paycheck (can't find the source right now but it has been said on this board plenty of times). If they were 100% about Peyton, why would they put that in his contract? I'm not counting out Peyton but you can't look at this situation from a fan's perspective. IMO, Peyton will be back, but from a business standpoint, we have to protect the future. You are right, we don't NEED Luck, but opportunities like this will not come around.

Like I said before, I'm all for not getting Luck if we make our team bigger (not brayton and anderson bigger), build an elite defense, and a line that will run block, but if not then we should draft Luck.

Also, why can't we draft Luck and sign who we need out of FA? Like you say, if this is a "now" situation, can't we sign a lineman out of FA? It will take time for any rookies we draft to learn and become better. Why not draft Luck if this isn't a "Next-Man-Up" team? Luck is one of a kind. He is not a Leaf, Tebow, Bradford, etc.

It wasnt about him passing a physical, the colts put a clause in there stating that if they feel that he cant play anymore then they arent required to pay him any further... there are clauses in alot of players contracts very healthy ones at that... Why would the colts have hope that he can be back this season and keep him on the roster... peyton is gonna be fully healthy next year no doubt about that.

The colts dont need FA's anymore... not to knock any but there's a reason why they are FA's the colts need quality players.... the colts have been scraping the at the bottom of the barrel for the most part on defense to fill in the holes. they need some defenders that are touted coming out of college and are more likely to get the job done, not players that have SOME potential.. because potential can get you fired.

My whole poin of starting this was not to say he isnt any good. Im just sick of every other thread being about it. If Peyton is good to play, well then its up to the FO. I have seen him play. He is good, could be great. But If peyton is good to play for 3-4 yrs, are we ready to pan out the real cash for a guy who is gonna be a spectator? i think that the moeny he would requiore could fix out problems in the Secondary. Maybe buy a big body to put on the O-line. Just sayin!

My whole poin of starting this was not to say he isnt any good. Im just sick of every other thread being about it. If Peyton is good to play, well then its up to the FO. I have seen him play. He is good, could be great. But If peyton is good to play for 3-4 yrs, are we ready to pan out the real cash for a guy who is gonna be a spectator? i think that the moeny he would requiore could fix out problems in the Secondary. Maybe buy a big body to put on the O-line. Just sayin!

I keep saying this but as long as the Colts play their current scheme they are not going to fix the secondary by just throwing a bunch of money at suppossedly good CB's. It's just not going to happen. Perfect example of this is Nnamdi Asomughu, arguably the best CB in the NFL in Oaklands scheme then he goes to Philly where they play a zone coverage and he has stunk it up bad so far this yr.. He is getting burnt on a regular basis. The Colts play a zone coverage and using high rd. draft picks on them is a waste of picks and money.

Let me apologize for bringing up the subject. Obviously some people think I am ignorant or something. I work most saturdays so i dont get to watch college football. I have seen him play a couple times but nothing more. So if someone really wants to please fill me in.

Let me apologize for bringing up the subject. Obviously some people think I am ignorant or something. I work most saturdays so i dont get to watch college football. I have seen him play a couple times but nothing more. So if someone really wants to please fill me in.

At least you can admit that you haven't seen him much. A lot of the others saying "don't draft Luck" have no idea about him either but like to pretend like they do. When they make comparisons to Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus "no hussle" Russel, and yes, even Jim Sorgi, you know immediately they have no clue. I could go into a long dissertation about just how good I think he will be, but I have voiced my opinions plenty of times about it and quite frankly, im tired of repeating myself just to hear somebody make an another ignorant comparison.

Yes, but....

Tebow still gets plenty of hype. He's already proven he's a ways away from being an NFL caliber QB and the fans still want him to start.

Nobody was declaring Ryan Leaf as a Ryan Leaf until he became Ryan Leaf.

I'm not against Luck. I haven't really had much of an opportunity to see him play, but even if I did, I'm not a scout.

To me, I'd be happy if we took him, and I'd be happy if we traded the pick for numerous other picks.

I trust that when the time comes, the Colts will know more about Peyton's status, Luck's feelings, and what they could get for the pick.

Beyond that, it's all a crap shoot. There are no guarantees of anything.

Let me add one....Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady

We have the chance to do something a lot of other teams have not been able to do, PASS THE TORCH. And some of you talk about this rebuilding thing when Peyton gone, why not start early? If we draft Luck, after Peyton retires, we will already have our future QB in place and he may be ready to carry this team seeing as he has been sitting and learning behind one of the greats. Then only thing we have to do is count on the front office to build an offense and DEFENSE around Luck and this franchise will be set for another 15 years. I also think Luck will be willing to sit because him and Peyton already have a good relationship.

I feel if we have the chance we should take him.

EDIT: after Peyton retires

Ok first people inaccurately compare Colts drafting Luck #1 overall to Aaron Rodgers and Steve young which are both wildly inaccurate, but now you're going to throw Tom Brady into the mix as well? Brady was a 6th round pick. NE did not draft him knowing he would be a future HOF QB. They may have had no intention for him to even be the replacement for Bledsoe. A 6th round pick does not normally turn into the same quality of QB that Brady does. However, maybe what you're really suggesting is that the Colts use a 6th round pick on a QB instead of the #1 overall. Well personally I think 6th round is a bit low but I agree that we don't need to use the #1 overall on QB. ;)

Playing in the PAC-10 is not the same as playing in the NFL. Heck, it's not the same as facing SEC defenses. Regardless of how good he is, amff is right, an overall #1 is not going to quietly sit on the bench for long. Do you want Luck or Peyton? Drafting Luck will signal the end of the PM-era and the end will come soon, not several years down the road.

THANK YOU. Someone said in another thread there's no way Kellen Moore doesn't go in the first round because he holds so many passing records. There are a number of QB's who could hold those same records if they were playing the same crap opponents that Boise state plays. I want to see Luck have to take the game into his hands...I want to see the opposing defense shut down the running game to the point where stanford doesn't run it 30 or more times (incidentally I've checked the numbers for all games this year and all games in 2010....Stanford never ran the ball less than 30 times and never averaged less than 3.0 ypc..which isn't great by college terms but hardly to the point where the run game is shut down).

I agree I don't think people here realize just how good Luck is, hes being touted as the best prospect SINCE Manning he has great accuracy, strong arm, good size, and will benefit from learning from Manning.

Why pass up on a player who can bring us 10 more years of possible great QB play if he has to sit for 3 or 4? It doesn't make sense.

show me one quarterback in the history of the nfl draft who was selected #1 overall and then sat for 3-4 years on the bench? THAT doesn't make sense and the proof is that, since 1990, there is not a single QB who was drafted #1 overall that sat for 3-4 years. There were a couple who sat 1 full year and a couple of others who started midway through their first year. Not a single one of them was not a full time starter by their second year.

There was no hype? are you mad? ppl called Tim Tebow the savior coming out of college... And what gurantee? you dont know that, in the nfl nothing is guranteed except imminent retirement.

Seeing as how many people had Tebow as a FB instead of a QB to the point where Tebow had to state that he wanted to be drafted as a QB, I don't think there was quite the Tebow hype you're making it out to be.

100% guarantee you it won't happen.

And I 100% guarantee you that if the Colts draft Luck #1 overall and he sits for 3-4 years then the Colts will be the first time since 1990 (which is simply as far back as I cared to look) to draft a QB #1 overall and then put him on the bench for 3-4 years. If drafting Luck is such an obvious, no brainer decision like so many people make it out to be, then why is it something that has not been done even a single time in the past 20 years?

Why would any QB who is already being considered a future HOF'er coming out of college want to squander the first 1/3 to 1/4 of their career on the bench? And no, you can not answer this question with Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady because not a one of them were coming out of college with the prestige that is already being given to Luck.

I don't think it's likely to happen either but if he doesn't want to sit for 3 to 4 years and we have the top pick I am not going to be shocked if it did happen.

even considering, I don't know that he'd go back to college (not saying it's absolutely impossible like some people are though). I could see him refusing to sign or demanding a trade though.

even considering, I don't know that he'd go back to college (not saying it's absolutely impossible like some people are though). I could see him refusing to sign or demanding a trade though.

I just think he would simply go back to school and keep control in his hands. That's his trump card. He can refuse to sign or demand a trade it doesn't mean the Colts have to trade him and if he wont sign he has to miss a whole year of football and not play before he can reenter the NFL draft. Why take that chance when you can just stay in school?

And I 100% guarantee you that if the Colts draft Luck #1 overall and he sits for 3-4 years then the Colts will be the first time since 1990 (which is simply as far back as I cared to look) to draft a QB #1 overall and then put him on the bench for 3-4 years. If drafting Luck is such an obvious, no brainer decision like so many people make it out to be, then why is it something that has not been done even a single time in the past 20 years?

Why would any QB who is already being considered a future HOF'er coming out of college want to squander the first 1/3 to 1/4 of their career on the bench? And no, you can not answer this question with Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady because not a one of them were coming out of college with the prestige that is already being given to Luck.

you can make a case for rodgers. he was considered very highly of and i still not sure why he dropped so far i guess because of his school, but the point being the packers didnt go into the draft looking for a qb, but rodgers dropped to them and they couldnt let this opportunity get away. we didnt go into this season even guessing close to being in position to draft luck, but opportunity is there and you dont let it get away

show me one quarterback in the history of the nfl draft who was selected #1 overall and then sat for 3-4 years on the bench?

I think your analogy is faulty.

Before we can come close to a similar situation to what we're in, we need to find one team with an entrenched, franchise QB who has actually gotten the #1 overall pick.

you can make a case for rodgers. he was considered very highly of and i still not sure why he dropped so far i guess because of his school, but the point being the packers didnt go into the draft looking for a qb, but rodgers dropped to them and they couldnt let this opportunity get away. we didnt go into this season even guessing close to being in position to draft luck, but opportunity is there and you dont let get away

Yeah but no one really thought he was going to be THIS good. In fact I remember the debate between him and Smith and they called them the "weakest" first over all QB choices in a long time. No one was saying they were the most sure thing since Peyton Manning like people are saying about Luck.

Yeah but no one really thought he was going to be THIS good. In fact I remember the debate between him and Smith and they called them the "weakest" first over all QB choices in a long time. No one was saying they were the most sure thing since Peyton Manning like people are saying about Luck.

even the more reason to take the kid

you can make a case for rodgers. he was considered very highly of and i still not sure why he dropped so far i guess because of his school, but the point being the packers didnt go into the draft looking for a qb, but rodgers dropped to them and they couldnt let this opportunity get away. we didnt go into this season even guessing close to being in position to draft luck, but opportunity is there and you dont let get away

There's still the huge difference that Rodgers was taken #24 overall and not #1. You simply don't draft a #1 pick with the expectation that he won't play for 3-4 years. Find me one case in the past 20 years where a team intentionally spent a #1 pick on a guy who they had no intention of playing for 3-4 years and I'll add SUCK FOR LUCK to my signature and keep it there until after the draft. :P

even the more reason to take the kid

That might be but that isn't what we were talking about when I responded to your post. I've said all along that if the Colts honestly think Luck is the next Peyton Manning and we have the first overall pick in the draft I am not going to be shocked in the slightest if we take him. With that said drafting Andrew Luck does nothing to address the real needs for this team and I can already hear the fans complaining about us "wasting" the top pick on a guy who is just sitting on the bench rather than drafting player X who would have really addressed our needs.

With that said drafting Andrew Luck does nothing to address the real needs for this team and I can already hear the fans complaining about us "wasting" the top pick on a guy who is just sitting on the bench rather than drafting player X who would have really addressed our needs.

Fans complained when we drafted Manning instead of keeping Jim Harbuagh and drafting a non-QB.

lol