Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm tired of the Andrew lUck speculation game

amff

Please tell me there is someone else out there that is tired of the " We are gonna get Andrew Luck in the draft" talk. Why is everyone so stuck on this guy? Is he better than Peyton? What if Peyton plays another 4 yrs? Is this guy gonna hang back and wait? Or is he gonna be a loud mouth and talk trash about not being a starter. i just dont see why everyone is so excited.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know im tired of it.... ppl say maybe he is the best QB since peyton... maybe he's gonna be the next biggest fail since ryan leaf. QB's get so much hype coming into the draft ie Tim Tebow and look at him now... every year QB gets drafted in the first round.

Hmmm lets see pick up a QB that's most likely isnt gonna play and get any reps.... Or fix up the defense that is in shambles in the secondary much less an aging WR and the future uncertainty of others.

I with the OP for 2 reason. 1. If Manning does finish his contract and can be the starter throughout, the likelihood of Luck remaining with the team that long is slim. 2. Many a good college QB haven't panned out as well as hoped.

Oh yea I forgot, the Colts will not finish last.

I with the OP for 2 reason. 1. If Manning does finish his contract and can be the starter throughout, the likelihood of Luck remaining with the team that long is slim. 2. Many a good college QB haven't panned out as well as hoped.

Oh yea I forgot, the Colts will not finish last.

why wouldnt luck stay and learn from probably the greatest football mind ever. for every qb you can name that was bad i can name a dozen good ones and with all the injuries o-line and terrible secondary yes i do feel we will finish last because unless we beat the chiefs and/or bengals there is no one we can beat on our schedule .

there was no hype with tebow. everyone knew he would suck. you rather of a temporary fix instead of 15 year guarantee

There was no hype? are you mad? ppl called Tim Tebow the savior coming out of college... And what gurantee? you dont know that, in the nfl nothing is guranteed except imminent retirement.

Peyton manning will not be a temporary fix either, he will be the starter for another good three years or even four.... and who is gonna develop him? the colts certainly dont have anybody on their coaching staff anymore to turn him into a leader.

Because another teams money will talk and Luck will walk.

For real, and what makes fans think Andrew Luck wants to be a colt anyway??? just so ppl dont forget the colts do have a Starter who will be back next year....

What supposedly future hall of famer is gonna wanna spend 4yrs behind a QB when he knows he could be playing for another team lol... C'MON MAN!!!

There was no hype? are you mad? ppl called Tim Tebow the savior coming out of college... And what gurantee? you dont know that, in the nfl nothing is guranteed except imminent retirement.

Peyton manning will not be a temporary fix either, he will be the starter for another good three years or even four.... and who is gonna develop him? the colts certainly dont have anybody on their coaching staff anymore to turn him into a leader.

everything i heard from mike maylock about tebow is he was not a first round qb and would be a bust. and after peyton retires then what? we draft a rookie qb? we wont be in any better situation then we are right now. with luck he wold have knowledge of the system once he takes over.

For real, and what makes fans think Andrew Luck wants to be a colt anyway??? just so ppl dont forget the colts do have a Starter who will be back next year....

What supposedly future hall of famer is gonna wanna spend 4yrs behind a QB when he knows he could be playing for another team lol... C'MON MAN!!!

he was referring to what i wrote

everything i heard from mike maylock about tebow is he was not a first round qb and would be a bust. and after peyton retires then what? we draft a rookie qb? we wont be in any better situation then we are right now. with luck he wold have knowledge of the system once he takes over.

cosigned . . .

Tebow was never considered a "can't miss prospect". Many questioned whether his game would translate well to the NFL. There were concerns about his size, style of play, etc. The Broncos were considered to have "reached" when they drafted him. Luck is a much more highly regarded quarterback. There is no comparison between the two.

Peyton's career could very well be shortened because of the neck surgeries. There are no guarantees on how many more years if any we have left with him at QB.

i think at some point colts fans need to start to look to future . . . i know it may not be a desirable subject, like drafting a will (some people don't like to talk about their mortality), but we need to start to think about how more years Peyton will play and if he is even a colt at the end of his career . . . I don't want to bring Brady into this discussion, but what the heck I am a Pats fan so lets give it a go . . . :whew:

TB signed a 4 year deal and I feel very strongly that he will be a patriot for all of those four years, and feel even stronger he will be in NE for three of those four years, but perhaps the pats might do something in the fourth . . . perhaps trade him . . . if his skill deteriorate and/or he may not be playing much more after 3 years, then the team needs to begin to think about the next decade, maybe BB might keep TB and the two ride off into the sunset together 5 years hence, or he may be let go a few years before he is done to make room for the next guy, if there is no next guy then perhaps you keep your HOF QB till the end of the line, but if a guy like Mallet develops really well then NE will have to make a decision in the 2014 or 2015 off season(s) . . .

As with everything PM and TB follow the same path . . . my guess would be that the colts would be more likely to keep their HOF QB than the Pats, but either way, we fans of both teams have to begin to think about 3-5 years down the road . . . and if there is a QB in the wings that looks to be great for 10 years, then the franchises would be better suited jettison the last 2 years or so of thier HOF QB, so its like 2 steps back and 10 forward . . .

of coarse this is all subjective, how good can we gauge Luck/Mallett unless they play some time, but we might in practice . . . if there is no great QB on the horizon, then all will keep their QBs, but if thinks that the next PM/TB/Brees/Rivers/Rogers/Ryan is in the wings you might want to think about picking him up, can be an understudy for 2-3 years, then become the starter . . . I think both Young and Rogers followed this path . . .

so yah there is lot of Luck talk but some fans are going thru the above analysis, couple with the fan that the colts are 0-4 and made be, but i doubt, in the lower 5 of the league near the end and maybe end up last . . .

for me anyways I think TB will be in NE for the next two year at least, and my fanhold says 5 more years . . . but i dont make teh personel decisions . . .

just my two cents on the matter . . .

Please tell me there is someone else out there that is tired of the " We are gonna get Andrew Luck in the draft" talk. Why is everyone so stuck on this guy? Is he better than Peyton? What if Peyton plays another 4 yrs? Is this guy gonna hang back and wait? Or is he gonna be a loud mouth and talk trash about not being a starter. i just dont see why everyone is so excited.

Oh, the irony!

You're soooo tired of the Andrew Luck talk, yet you start a whole thread to talk about him. Hilarious.

for every qb you can name that was bad i can name a dozen good ones

Ok well I have a challenge for you. Name me one single QB who was drafted #1 overall who sat on the bench for 3 years before becoming a full time starter. It's cool...I'll wait. ;)

you obviously have never seen him play

I have seen him play and I'm as sick of it as anyone. Even if Luck is a can't miss prospect, that doesn't mean he's the right fit for the colts. He plays behind arguably the best OL in college football, has a running game that averages over 200 yards per game and has 3 amazing, big TE's. The majority of his play comes off play action. The colts have been a pass-first team for years and I think will continue to be. At first I thought they might alter the gameplan for Collins and Painter but we've still been passing more than running. There are at least a handful of QB prospects who have the same or at least very similar levels of physical talent. The difference between the others and Luck is that he's ready to start day 1 in a pro-style offense. We neither have a pro style offense nor need him to start day 1.

As I said above, there are at least a handful of QB's who's raw, physical talent is equal or at least only marginally different. Luck is pro ready now for a pro style offense. We don't need either. We could just as easily draft a late first round or second round QB (you know, like Green Bay did with Rodgers) and let Peyton work with him to make him as pro ready as Luck is now for when we need him to start. And in the meantime we can draft down, take this guy whoever he may be, and still acquire additional picks to fill as many holes on the team as we can.

Oh, the irony!

You're soooo tired of the Andrew Luck talk, yet you start a whole thread to talk about him. Hilarious.

lol....yeah I thought the same thing

The NFL draft is only six months away;

NFL teams scout college prospects all year long;

There's a chance Manning could retire because fusion surgery is that serious and/or potentially limiting;

There's a chance Manning's career could be shortened even if he does return;

The Colts have no viable backup plan for Manning;

The Colts have no viable plan for winning beyond their current formula;

The Colts have not won a game in 2011;

Andrew Luck is bank, and even if a team doesn't want him someone does, and will give up the farm for him so you scout even harder so you can get multiple picks in trade ala Julio Jones in the 2011 draft;.

New CBA rules including rookie wage scales will impact what teams do and/or will be willing to give up/position themselves in the 2012 draft.

These ^ are the obvious reasons there's so much speculation surrounding Andrew Luck and the 2012 draft. If you don't enjoy or follow this (huge) part of the game then quit reading on it. This isn't a game of checkers though. Many Colts fans don't want to look beyond the Manning era or even week 5 of the 2011 season.....but the future is still coming. Deal with it.

checkmate +1

check....not mate ;)

Joe Montana/Steve Young

Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers

Neither Aaron Rodgers nor Steve Young were a #1 overall pick. Steve Young wasn't even drafted into the NFL from college. He played in the USFL first and then spent some time with tampa before San fran got him for nothing.

Find me one #1 overall picked QB who sat on the bench for 3 years before becoming a starter. San Fran and GB did it the smart way....they got their QB of the future from another team (Steve Young) or with a later draft pick (Rodgers). Neither had to spend a #1 pick nor did they have to pay a #1 QB salary.

Therefore neither Young nor Rodgers were considered future HOF'ers when they were drafted. If people thought they were that good at the time then they would have been picked first overall.

Im tired of all the "im tired of the Luck talk" threads. Seriously you couldn't have voiced this opinion in one of the other 37 threads stating the same nonsense. Ok we get it, some of you don't want Luck, get over it, the talk is gonna happen as long as were riding one of the worst records in the league. By the way, it don't really matter what you, I, or anybody else "wants", Polian will draft who he wants.

Im tired of all the "im tired of the Luck talk" threads. Seriously you couldn't have voiced this opinion in one of the other 37 threads stating the same nonsense. Ok we get it, some of you don't want Luck, get over it, the talk is gonna happen as long as were riding one of the worst records in the league. By the way, it don't really matter what you, I, or anybody else "wants", Polian will draft who he wants.

Same here.... and I'm not criticizing the mods, but can we PLEASE have a Soooper Doooper Extra-Colossal All-Things Andrew Luck mega-merge thread so that those who want to see him boiled in oil.... and those who want him to father their daughter's children .... and those of us somewhere in between can discuss our opinions on the guy IN ONE THREAD!!!

And you're 1000% right... the Polian's and, oh yeah, Jim Irsay (the guy writing the checks) will settle this next April if we stink our way to the #1 pick.

Unfortunately Peyton can't play forever. You see how bad this team struggles without him. If they have the number 1 pick they have to take luck. I like kellen Moore but he doesn't fit the colts typical ideal qb because of size. If luck is available you take him. What if dungy is right and Peyton only plays one mOre year.

Oh, the irony!

This is the funniest part of the whole thing. The guy is tired of hearing about Luck, but then starts a thread about Luck. Hilarious!

You are hearing so much about Luck because he is one of the best QB prospects to be available in years and we are going to be in the hunt for him.

Fans want to draft Luck because they are tired of having nobody behind Peyton and Luck could easily take over after Peyton retires. Sadly with the new CBA it will be very hard to keep him on the roster after we pick up the option for his final year. The question we must need to figure out is what the next few years with Manning looks like. I know it is blasphemy, but maybe if Luck is the real deal and Manning is aging then we pull a Packers.

If Manning is fully healthy for next season I much rather see us grab someone like Ashlon Jefferies to give Manning a weapon he has never had in his entire career.

checkmate +1

Let me add one....Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady

We have the chance to do something a lot of other teams have not been able to do, PASS THE TORCH. And some of you talk about this rebuilding thing when Peyton gone, why not start early? If we draft Luck, after Peyton retires, we will already have our future QB in place and he may be ready to carry this team seeing as he has been sitting and learning behind one of the greats. Then only thing we have to do is count on the front office to build an offense and DEFENSE around Luck and this franchise will be set for another 15 years. I also think Luck will be willing to sit because him and Peyton already have a good relationship.

I feel if we have the chance we should take him.

EDIT: after Peyton retires

you obviously have never seen him play

Playing in the PAC-10 is not the same as playing in the NFL. Heck, it's not the same as facing SEC defenses. Regardless of how good he is, amff is right, an overall #1 is not going to quietly sit on the bench for long. Do you want Luck or Peyton? Drafting Luck will signal the end of the PM-era and the end will come soon, not several years down the road.

Playing in the PAC-10 is not the same as playing in the NFL. Heck, it's not the same as facing SEC defenses. Regardless of how good he is, amff is right, an overall #1 is not going to quietly sit on the bench for long. Do you want Luck or Peyton? Drafting Luck will signal the end of the PM-era and the end will come soon, not several years down the road.

i rather know that we can win games for 15 years instead of 4

College players of his ability come out of college so rarley you have to take him. College QB's that come out with his ability happens even less. You take him because he is the best player in the draft, and with the no. 1 pick you take the best player.

What were you reading? Just about everyone said Teabow was not NFL material, that his abilities and game were only good on the college level. People are still dumbfounded as to why the Broncos took him so high in teh draft.

You people who don't think we need Luck are well...... We need a QB in the draft unless you want the next 2-4 seasons to be like this one, where we are sitting at 0-4 and trying to find a win. We NEED a QB, because there is no guarantee that Manning will even be BACK next season.

Ryan Leaf: San Diego Chargers

Touchdown Passes: 14

Interceptions: 36

Lesson Learned (?) College ball ain't pro ball

Did Peyton Manning skip college?

Quite honestly...I don't know if there is a worse example of a college QB to compare Andrew Luck with than Ryan Leaf.

Leaf came out of a spread offense with 4-5 WRs.... similar to the spread offenses most of the Luck alternatives like Landry Jones and Nick Foles are playing in now. Leaf also proved himself to be a lazy, arrogant bum and one of the worst locker room cancers to ever don an NFL uniform.

Sorry.... Andrew Luck bears FAR more resemblance as a QB and team leader to Peyton Manning than he does Ryan Leaf.

Did Peyton Manning skip college?

Quite honestly...I don't know if there is a worse example of a college QB to compare Andrew Luck with than Ryan Leaf.

Leaf came out of a spread offense with 4-5 WRs.... similar to the spread offenses most of the Luck alternatives like Landry Jones and Nick Foles are playing in now. Leaf also proved himself to be a lazy, arrogant bum and one of the worst locker room cancers to ever don an NFL uniform.

Sorry.... Andrew Luck bears FAR more resemblance as a QB and team leader to Peyton Manning than he does Ryan Leaf.

I've just given up on trying to talk sense to people. If some people don't want Luck, I can understand that but some of the reasons or comparisons that I've seen posted here as to why they don't want Luck is so completely stupid it's comical. It's very obvious to me that these same people have not really seen this kid play too much(or any at all even though they will say they have) so they either just repeat stuff they hear from others or they make up ignorant stuff that they think sounds intelligent. Anybody that has legitimately watched him for the last 3 yrs. would know he is not the typical hyped up prospect. He is without doubt, the closest thing to Manning that has came out since Manning and why any Colts fan would not want to take a chance on that is crazy IMO.