Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sheppard for Hughes

basketballsteve

Hughes can only shine against backups. His sack for Buffalo yesterday he wasn't even touched. Offensive lineman who start in this league over power Hughes and just make him look silly.

I don't care about Hughes, good or bad.  He's not a Colt, so he's no longer in my radar.  I was hoping Sheppard would play better, but he may still be learning the system.  At the very least, I hope he's decent depth.

I don't care about Hughes, good or bad.  He's not a Colt, so he's no longer in my radar.  I was hoping Sheppard would play better, but he may still be learning the system.  At the very least, I hope he's decent depth.

I don't care about Hughes either but I really like that Grigson is really looking at the bottom half of the roster close enough to work on a trade that has potential as a possible slight upgrade or maybe not but there was very little downside to the trade (get rid of rush LB who wouldn't make the roster for an ILB that might be a passable backup). It says to me no small improvement is too small to pursue.

For what it's worth Phil B. listed Shepard as one of the few things he didn't like about last night's game.  He didn't give a reason. 

He had a few good plays, but more where he just wasn't where he should be.  He looks like he's still learning the system.

Aikman or Buck gave him credit for blowing up that 4th and 2 run, but it looked to me that it was more Walden and Howell.

For what it's worth Phil B. listed Shepard as one of the few things he didn't like about last night's game.  He didn't give a reason. 

He missed alot of tackles. In his defense, maybe being new to the system had him a hair off, but there were several times when he was in position to make the play and Giant ball carriers broke free.

At this point, the trade is a push.

However, I am interested to see what Hughes brings to the table in Buffalo.  To me, he never really had a fair shake here.  If you draft a guy in the first round, he has to have a shot at reaching the starting lineup.  And behind Freeney and Mathis, it just wasn't going to happen.  He may not have deserved a shot, but nonetheless, you put him behind two All Pros... doesn't make a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry Hughes just wasn't in our plans..mans was in the last year of his contract.

No , 2014 was the last year of his contract. He was a first round pick , so signed a 5 year deal. Colts evidently just wanted to cut bait with him as they have 2.1 mill in dead money as a result of moving him this year.

Jerry Hughes is the #1 rated rush LB in the preseason.  Sheppard looks pretty bad so far.

Hughes has a history of being a preseason all star.  Sheppard has a reputation of being a pretty good LB in real games.

I don't think we'll know who got the better end of the trade until the season is underway.