Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Impact Receiver

unitaswestand

I hate to see the Colts do so badly this year, but I guess one good thing that will come out of it is a likely top 7 pick in the draft. With the pick, I fully expect the Colts to pick a WR. It doesn't make sense to pick a QB because there would be too many years before he would actually play. I know it has been said safety or secondary, but I honestly think that is as much or more to do with the system. When you are playing a Tampa-2 and giving that kind of cushion, it is hard for anyone to look good.

So I would fully expect the Colts to get an impact WR with their pick, which I think would be a huge plus. Reggie is great but not getting any younger. I think Marvin has always been missed.

And the bonus is that maybe with a high #2, there might be a developmental QB around to look at it. Or maybe another WR.

I hate to see the Colts do so badly this year, but I guess one good thing that will come out of it is a likely top 7 pick in the draft. With the pick, I fully expect the Colts to pick a WR. It doesn't make sense to pick a QB because there would be too many years before he would actually play. I know it has been said safety or secondary, but I honestly think that is as much or more to do with the system. When you are playing a Tampa-2 and giving that kind of cushion, it is hard for anyone to look good.

So I would fully expect the Colts to get an impact WR with their pick, which I think would be a huge plus. Reggie is great but not getting any younger. I think Marvin has always been missed.

And the bonus is that maybe with a high #2, there might be a developmental QB around to look at it. Or maybe another WR.

to many years? 3 years is to many? How many seasons did Aaron Rogers back up Brett Farve? How many years did Steve Young wait to finally start in the NFL? Draft a WR with the number 1 pick? Please, if there you take Luck, even a dumb deaf and blind person would see that.

If we are picking No.4 or No.5, I can see that but not at No.1. It would cost us too much to move up from No.4 or No.5 to No.1 (remember how much the Chargers got from the Giants for the Eli Manning - Rivers trade???). With enough holes to fill, trading down is a better option than moving up if that were the case.

to many years? 3 years is to many? How many seasons did Aaron Rogers back up Brett Farve? How many years did Steve Young wait to finally start in the NFL? Draft a WR with the number 1 pick? Please, if there you take Luck, even a dumb deaf and blind person would see that.

A dumb, deaf and blind person may also be able to recognize that Aaron Rodgers was not a #1 overall pick and Steve Young wasn't even drafted to the NFL straight out of college. Rodgers was a late first round pick and therefore did not cost near the money a #1 overall would and Steve had to play in the USFL for a little bit before getting his chance in the NFL and even then he was with TB before he ever made it to San Fran. Comparing drafting Luck #1 to these 2 scenarios is COMPLETELY inaccurate so yes, 3 years for a #1 overall QB to sit is too long. A #1 overall QB sits for 1 year max and then becomes full time starter. Find me any QB in history who was drafted #1 overall and sat for 3 years.

A dumb, deaf and blind person may also be able to recognize that Aaron Rodgers was not a #1 overall pick and Steve Young wasn't even drafted to the NFL straight out of college. Rodgers was a late first round pick and therefore did not cost near the money a #1 overall would and Steve had to play in the USFL for a little bit before getting his chance in the NFL and even then he was with TB before he ever made it to San Fran. Comparing drafting Luck #1 to these 2 scenarios is COMPLETELY inaccurate so yes, 3 years for a #1 overall QB to sit is too long. A #1 overall QB sits for 1 year max and then becomes full time starter. Find me any QB in history who was drafted #1 overall and sat for 3 years.

AMEN! Tell him like it is, Jason! :applause: A deaf, dumb and blind person would've picked Ricky Williams over Edgerrin James too. Go figure...

Yeah but even Hellen Keller could tell you that Aaron Rodgers went much LATER in the first round than projected. What makes you think that the Colts WILL get the #1 pick. There are still others in contention for the Luck sweepstakes anyways. I also like Landrey & Barkley as well.

In terms of getting a WR, I think that would be best saved for later down the road. Colts still have other issues to fill.

Yeah but even Hellen Keller could tell you that Aaron Rodgers went much LATER in the first round than projected. What makes you think that the Colts WILL get the #1 pick. There are still others in contention for the Luck sweepstakes anyways. I also like Landrey & Barkley as well.

In terms of getting a WR, I think that would be best saved for later down the road. Colts still have other issues to fill.

I never said the Colts would be in position to draft Luck and despite what many people still believe, I don't think they will be. I think we'll be somewhere between 3-6. I like both Barkley and Jones as well and I'm very impressed with Nick Foles also. IMO Foles is the best overall option due to obvious natural talent, his ability to carry the team on his shoulders with no noticeable running game and virtually no defense but he still gets the job done. If you want a great example of his abilities watch the most recent USC/Arizona game. He threw to 11 different receivers and brought the team to within one TD behind a much, much more talented overall USC team. He's 6'5" and 240 lbs so has perfect prototypical size for an NFL QB and even from the spread offense he makes a lot of NFL type throws that you don't often see in a spread college QB. Finally, he could be had probably in the late first round or even second round so we can still use the early pick or picks on defense and/or WR. Under Manning's tutelage I could easily see Foles turning into a multiple pro-bowler but yes...I concede that it's very early to say this and I would simply counter with all of the people already calling Luck a future HOF'er and the next Manning or Elway.

As for WR, we could trade down and get either Michael Floyd or Jeff Fuller towards the end of the first round. some people will cite Floyd's off-field issues but this is rubbish imo. The Colts didn't release McAfee after a very embarrassing public intox arrest. Floyd was arrested very early in his college career for underage consumption of alcohol (if at least 90% of college players haven't done this without getting caught I'd be surprised) and then a DUI. I in no way condone drinking and driving but the point is these issues occurred very early in his college career. He was a young, dumb kid and made a couple of mistakes. He was also then suspended by the coach and told to get his life together. Once he did this to the coach's satisfaction he was reinstated to the team with the understanding that another incident results in permanent suspension from the team. He has gotten his personal life together and if he finishes the year still on the Notre Dame team then these issues are imo a non-issue. I mean come on, if the NFL's father of morality Dungy can give a second chance to someone who spent time in prison for multiple felonies then I see no reason the colts would hold a couple of mistakes by a young and dumb kid against him after he's clearly corrected things in his life. /end rant

besides...a few years back there was a DL player who was arrested on 465 for DUI...i don't remember the exact details but I don't recall him being cut from the team. I could be wrong but I believe he finished the season still with the team. If this is incorrect then I apologize.

See, those examples don't work because the Packers and 49ers didn't pay anything for Rodgers and Young, respectively. Also, they were developmental projects. Luck is probably day 1, save the franchise kind of material, and we'd be paying the better part of $6 million to have him do nothing. Then, when his contract comes up after 3 years, we'd be paying him starting QB money to again, sit another season behind Manning.

The only way it works to responsibly draft Luck would be to cut Manning, or take big chunks out of the team somewhere else. You want to set the team back just to have Luck and tell Manning he can kiss it? Or do you want to make the team around Manning worse and pay a guy to do nothing for us despite being healthy? In both cases, drafting Luck is a loss for the Colts in the short term, and the long term.

The Packers and 49ers didn't pay big money for 2 QB's. They acquired them for virtually nothing, and then cut ties with the older of the two when it came time to pay for both. We wouldn't have that luxury by drafting Luck in the top 5.

That said, I'm not for advocating the pick of a WR in the top 5. 6-10, maybe. Below that? Definitely.

I never said the Colts would be in position to draft Luck and despite what many people still believe, I don't think they will be. I think we'll be somewhere between 3-6. I like both Barkley and Jones as well and I'm very impressed with Nick Foles also. IMO Foles is the best overall option due to obvious natural talent, his ability to carry the team on his shoulders with no noticeable running game and virtually no defense but he still gets the job done. If you want a great example of his abilities watch the most recent USC/Arizona game. He threw to 11 different receivers and brought the team to within one TD behind a much, much more talented overall USC team. He's 6'5" and 240 lbs so has perfect prototypical size for an NFL QB and even from the spread offense he makes a lot of NFL type throws that you don't often see in a spread college QB. Finally, he could be had probably in the late first round or even second round so we can still use the early pick or picks on defense and/or WR. Under Manning's tutelage I could easily see Foles turning into a multiple pro-bowler but yes...I concede that it's very early to say this and I would simply counter with all of the people already calling Luck a future HOF'er and the next Manning or Elway.

As for WR, we could trade down and get either Michael Floyd or Jeff Fuller towards the end of the first round. some people will cite Floyd's off-field issues but this is rubbish imo. The Colts didn't release McAfee after a very embarrassing public intox arrest. Floyd was arrested very early in his college career for underage consumption of alcohol (if at least 90% of college players haven't done this without getting caught I'd be surprised) and then a DUI. I in no way condone drinking and driving but the point is these issues occurred very early in his college career. He was a young, dumb kid and made a couple of mistakes. He was also then suspended by the coach and told to get his life together. Once he did this to the coach's satisfaction he was reinstated to the team with the understanding that another incident results in permanent suspension from the team. He has gotten his personal life together and if he finishes the year still on the Notre Dame team then these issues are imo a non-issue. I mean come on, if the NFL's father of morality Dungy can give a second chance to someone who spent time in prison for multiple felonies then I see no reason the colts would hold a couple of mistakes by a young and dumb kid against him after he's clearly corrected things in his life. /end rant

besides...a few years back there was a DL player who was arrested on 465 for DUI...i don't remember the exact details but I don't recall him being cut from the team. I could be wrong but I believe he finished the season still with the team. If this is incorrect then I apologize.

I do like Foles myself and Floyd should be a beast. The speculation is very difficult @ this time. It should be an interesting off season.

we already did, gonzo was him

If the Colts are in the 2-5 range, I can easily see teams wanting to move up to the Colts spot.

A lot of teams would like to have their hands on OTs - Matt Kalil of USC or Jonathan Martin of Stanford, one of whom is a top 5 pick. That would be the kind of team I would trade down with. Once you get 2 first round picks, you can get some serious talent in this draft. I do agree that by trading down, we should still be able to get our WR in round 1 while having 2 first round picks. The outside WR talent does go down and we will be looking mostly at slot wideout talent at bottom of 1st and top of 2nd round.

Then, try pulling the same stunt with the bottom of round 2 pick as well and pick up 2 second round picks if you can OR a 2nd and 3rd in exchange for our 2nd

@doogansquest-

I couldn’t agree more, and actually am kind of shocked you are not for Luck. But I agree 100% he is not good for the Colts short term or long term. Short term he gets paid a solid cap chunk to sit behind Manning and hold a clipboard, long term is has a lower ceiling than other QB prospects out there. Just because he is the most NFL ready, doesn’t mean he is the best option out there! So if the Colts finished with the number one overall pick would you advise a trade down or what would your selection be?

If the colts do have the 1st pick they better play the we're drafting Andrew Luck card. That could easily add 3 or 4 picks to our 2012 draft. Hopefully they will have a good idea of Peytons health and if he will be willing to play one more year or 3-4 more years. If it's just 1 then just draft Luck but if he can go longer then pass on luck. This draft has many talented QB's behind Luck so we can spend a 2nd or a 3rd pick and let him learn a few years behind Peyton. Like Foles or Griffin, does anybody know if Tyler Bray is eligible for the draft next year? We do need a good guard,safety,WR and CB. Throwing in another body at DT couldn't hurt either!!

Ouch... glad you ain't in charge.

aren't you the one wanting Kellen Moore and Matt Kalil. Yeah I'd enthusiastically say the same about you. ;)

If the Colts are in the 2-5 range, I can easily see teams wanting to move up to the Colts spot.

A lot of teams would like to have their hands on OTs - Matt Kalil of USC or Jonathan Martin of Stanford, one of whom is a top 5 pick. That would be the kind of team I would trade down with. Once you get 2 first round picks, you can get some serious talent in this draft. I do agree that by trading down, we should still be able to get our WR in round 1 while having 2 first round picks. The outside WR talent does go down and we will be looking mostly at slot wideout talent at bottom of 1st and top of 2nd round.

Then, try pulling the same stunt with the bottom of round 2 pick as well and pick up 2 second round picks if you can OR a 2nd and 3rd in exchange for our 2nd

Agreed. We'd get the most in return for the #1 pick and Luck but we could still get a great deal for a 2-5 spot for any of the players you mentioned. I think there are also more than a few teams who would move up for Alshon Jeffrey or Quinton Coples too.

Glad your not drafting for us!!

Why? If Manning comes back a number 1 WR for the future is a clear need. Wayne isn't getting any younger and no one else on the roster looks like they can be a number one WR. If we are drafting that high given how we draft (with offense in mind first) a WR might very well be the pick.

Personally I would like to see it be a cornerback because I think a play making corner back would make the world difference in our defense because then you can slide Powers to the number two spot and put Lacey at the nickle where he belongs.

In fairness though when Rodgers came out he was being looked at as the number one over all pick. The 49ers just went with Alex Smith. Rodgers was the other guy they were looking at. Clearly they picked the wrong one. Then you had something really strange happen no one else needed/wanted a QB till Rodgers feel into the Packers lap. So while he wasn't a number one overall pick he could have just as easily been the first overall pick in the draft and it's where he was projected to go. He just feel on draft day.

In fairness though when Rodgers came out he was being looked at as the number one over all pick. The 49ers just went with Alex Smith. Rodgers was the other guy they were looking at. Clearly they picked the wrong one. Then you had something really strange happen no one else needed/wanted a QB till Rodgers feel into the Packers lap. So while he wasn't a number one overall pick he could have just as easily been the first overall pick in the draft and it's where he was projected to go. He just feel on draft day.

that is true but it doesn't change the fact that Green bay didn't spend a #1 pick on him. I could also speculate that the only reason GB even took Rodgers is because such a highly projected QB fell in their lap. If both Smith and Rodgers had been drafted before Green Bay came on the clock, then does GB even draft a QB in round 1 at all?

that is true but it doesn't change the fact that Green bay didn't spend a #1 pick on him. I could also speculate that the only reason GB even took Rodgers is because such a highly projected QB fell in their lap. If both Smith and Rodgers had been drafted before Green Bay came on the clock, then does GB even draft a QB in round 1 at all?

That was pretty much the reason they took Rodgers. He was too good to pass on. That was just a strange draft for QBs. I get your point you don't have to be a first overall pick to be good in this league, you can make a case that maybe the best healthy QB in the NFL is Drew Brees and he wasn't even a first round pick.

In fact if you argued that the best QBs in the NFL right now are Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers. Manning is the only number over all pick of the group although both Rivers and Rodgers were in the running to be number one overall picks. In fact till like the past three years since Manning went first overall most first overall picks who were QBs have been bad other than Eli Manning and most people don't think he was the best QB in that draft. Even then Stafford and Bradford have had some injury issues but do show promise. I do think Cam Newton is the real deal though.