Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Allen sits out practice? [Merge]

Kenny

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not happy with the possibility of it being a stress fracture, but it could be much, much worse. Having Cunningham play that role, even if it's not at Dwayne's level, for a few weeks won't kill our season. And that's who'll step into it; we're not going to all the sudden put Fleener into that role since eliminating/reducing Coby's downfield receiving game would just create another weakness.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Not happy with the possibility of it being a stress fracture, but it could be much, much worse. Having Cunningham play that role, even if it's not at Dwayne's level, for a few weeks won't kill our season. And that's who'll step into it; we're not going to all the sudden put Fleener into that role since eliminating/reducing Coby's downfield receiving game would just create another weakness.

Even if Allen doesn't miss much time, that Justice pick is starting to look like a pretty darn good move by Grigson

From what i've been finding on stress fractures of the 5th metatarsal , a "few weeks" is pretty optimistic to say the least. More probably something like 4-6 regular season games. But who knows what it really is and I'm certainly no expert on this. I found a couple things that looked similar to this...... I actually found one that said it can be up to a year.

"For both the acute Jones fracture and chronic stress fracture operative treatment with a screw is ideal. It is not necessary to open the skin with a large incision to fix the fracture at all. We use a tiny puncture in the skin, and then insert a small pin into the Metatarsal guided with a live X-Ray machine called 'fluoroscopy'. Once the pin has been inserted across the fracture into the canal of the metatarsal, it is then easy to insert a screw into the shaft of the metatarsal to facilitate healing. The size and type of the screw are very important. Athletes are allowed to bear weight on the foot immediately following surgery in a boot, but limit impact loading of the foot, particularly twisting activities.

"Physiotherapy is an essential part of the recovery, maintaining flexibility of the foot, decreasing swelling, and stimulating tissue healing. We use anexternal bone stimulator in all athletes which is applied to the foot daily to speed up the healing process. Exercise can begin in a single plane (bike, elliptical trainer, swimming pool) by 4 weeks, but monitored according to swelling and discomfort. Running in a pool, with the help of a buoyancy belt, followed by running on a hard surface can begin once soreness is relieved, usually at 6-8 weeks, and then finally a return to full activities including twisting and pivoting by 8-10 weeks."

http://www.physioroom.com/experts/expertupdate/interview_mark_myerson.php

Welcome to the Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum, otherwise known as The Experts of the Second Opinion .com

All those hating on Fleener because he missed a few games last year, start looking sheepish.

Every team suffers key injuries every single week. Good teams deal with it. Oh, wait, listen, can anyone hear Bill whispering 'next man up'....

Welcome to the Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum, otherwise known as The Experts of the Second Opinion .com

All those hating on Fleener because he missed a few games last year, start looking sheepish.

Every team suffers key injuries every single week. Good teams deal with it. Oh, wait, listen, can anyone hear Bill whispering 'next man up'....

Fleener? I thought we'd traded him to the Pats for a pair of Brady's Ugg boots.

Well I hate this, DA is the man,and I hope he recovers quickly.Enter Justice Cunningham,there were and still are doubters about this kid.Let them continue to doubt,but im not one of them,I loved the selection of Mr irrelevant,and knew the Colts were not just wasting a pick.This kid will prove his worth,and I will be here watching the nay sayers as he does.This kid has talent and work ethic,and from what ive read is progressing quite nicely .Heal up DA .Hold the fort down JC   GO :coltslogo:

From what i've been finding on stress fractures of the 5th metatarsal , a "few weeks" is pretty optimistic to say the least. More probably something like 4-6 regular season games. But who knows what it really is and I'm certainly no expert on this. I found a couple things that looked similar to this...... I actually found one that said it can be up to a year.

"For both the acute Jones fracture and chronic stress fracture operative treatment with a screw is ideal. It is not necessary to open the skin with a large incision to fix the fracture at all. We use a tiny puncture in the skin, and then insert a small pin into the Metatarsal guided with a live X-Ray machine called 'fluoroscopy'. Once the pin has been inserted across the fracture into the canal of the metatarsal, it is then easy to insert a screw into the shaft of the metatarsal to facilitate healing. The size and type of the screw are very important. Athletes are allowed to bear weight on the foot immediately following surgery in a boot, but limit impact loading of the foot, particularly twisting activities.

"Physiotherapy is an essential part of the recovery, maintaining flexibility of the foot, decreasing swelling, and stimulating tissue healing. We use anexternal bone stimulator in all athletes which is applied to the foot daily to speed up the healing process. Exercise can begin in a single plane (bike, elliptical trainer, swimming pool) by 4 weeks, but monitored according to swelling and discomfort. Running in a pool, with the help of a buoyancy belt, followed by running on a hard surface can begin once soreness is relieved, usually at 6-8 weeks, and then finally a return to full activities including twisting and pivoting by 8-10 weeks."

http://www.physioroom.com/experts/expertupdate/interview_mark_myerson.php

As long as it isn't the dread lisfrank injury......has anyone heard any talk that it may be this?

Guest TeamLoloJones

Grigs keeps fooling around bringing in 4th string camp bodies at S and LB and OLB...let's see how good he is at finding us a TE who can play in the rotation.

We'll have to see if any decent TEs become available after roseter cuts.

This is not good news...A second opinion usually means the first said surgery is required. Allen is such a big part of our offense, especially with his protection of Luck. Justice will have to step up big time while we wait for Dwayne to recover. I hope it's nothing too serious, but second opinion makes me wonder if he would miss a significant amount of time. At least we have all of pre-season still, but it's definitely not news I wanted to hear.

Mario Williams took the same route and got a second opinion on a sore foot and was told just to rest it, hopefully it's the same for Allen