Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reed Looks To Be Great Sign By Houston

dw49

You don't think squirrel dancing hyped that defense up ? I can't say for sure that the Ravens won't miss him , although I do agree with you on that one. I can say for sure that I will not miss him. Never liked him and the topping on the cake was that classless nonsense on the last play in our playoff against them. Totally silly , immature and  disrespectful nonsense. If Harbaugh had any idea that was going to take place , he's just a big of a jackbutt for allowing him on the field for that play.

I do look forward to Ray's gibberish on ESPN

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Harbaugh disrespected the Colts on that last play. It was about giving Ray a curtain call in his final home game. Ray was pretty much done this season , as he lost speed and couldn't cover anyone in pass situations. Ed Reed , because of all the injuries is heading the same way as Ray. These were a couple of reasons why the Ravens defense slipped from the top , to middle of the pack last year. Can Ed give Houston some leadership , sure , but if you want to pay 5 million for mentoring , you need the cap space to do it. The Ravens desperately needed to get younger on defense , and that is what they did. They had no choice.

I don't think Harbaugh disrespected the Colts on that last play. It was about giving Ray a curtain call in his final home game. Ray was pretty much done this season , as he lost speed and couldn't cover anyone in pass situations. Ed Reed , because of all the injuries is heading the same way as Ray. These were a couple of reasons why the Ravens defense slipped from the top , to middle of the pack last year. Can Ed give Houston some leadership , sure , but if you want to pay 5 million for mentoring , you need the cap space to do it. The Ravens desperately needed to get younger on defense , and that is what they did. They had no choice.

Squirrel dancing on the field with time left on the clock was disrespectful to the game and the Colts. Reggie Wayne is a pretty level headed , decent guy. Never has issue with anyone , never killed anyone or had to discard clothing he wore when a guy was murdered. He took offense to that "curtain call" and I whole heartedly agree with him. If that was the old NFL , Mike Curtis would have made sure that was Ray's last squirrel dance. But I guess you could argue who's team Curtis would have been on.

Anyway , I would hope that Harbaugh didn't know Lewis was going to look like some kind of jive > during a football game. I have a feeling he did and pretty bad judgement if so. Could you imagine John Unitas ending his career like that ? 

I do agree that the ravens were smart spending their cap room elsewhere.

Actually I see it as when the Pats moved on from Bruschi, Mcginnis, and Harrison to a team dependent on Brady more so than what we will see after Brady. Let's be real...the early part of Flacco's career more mimicks Tom Brady than anyones. His clutch playoff performances seem to indicate that he is a little Brady like. I think the Raven's will look to replace those defensive guys but won't ever be able to fully do so...and will have to build around the QB because of his contract and the team will shift from a defensive force to more balanced and then offensive. JMO.

Flacco's career does not mimic Brady at all. Previous to last year he kept the team from winning in the playoffs so much so that Reed called him out after they beat the Texans two years ago because he played so poorly.

Brady was never carried by his defense. I always like to remind people that in 2001 the Pats O was ranked sixth in scoring and the defense was ranked sixth in points allowed. He was never game manager either. Only once in Brady's five trips to the SB has the Pats O been ranked lower than his D.

In terms of the Ravens, I guess we will see how these new defensive players do. If they perform anything like the Pats replacements then the Ravens will not see the playoffs again.

With the additions of Dummerville, Canty, Spears and a healthy Ladarius Webb and Jimmy Smith I think the Ravens are going to have one of the best defenses in the league. I don't think they will miss a washed up Ray Lewis at all.

You missed my point. I was talking about the replacements being at the same level as an in prime Lewis and Reed. Like Old Crow said, the moves would have been made regardless if the Ravens won the bowl or not. But it remains to be seen if this new cast can come anywhere close to the dominance those guys provided for the last decade. For sure this will be more Flacco's team.

I've actually had this exact discussion periodically with some of my more like-minded, diehard football fan homies for a few years running with regards to Eli specifically.  The conclusion we keep getting forced into is that when playoff time rolls around it's almost better to be lucky than good and that consistently playing at a very high level is far less conducive to winning big games than simply getting hot at the right time, taking chances, and riding out that brief surge of success.  If consistency truly mattered at the QB position the Colts would have a few more Super Bowls and those two wouldn't have anything.

You definitely can't help but wonder how those two guys have three Super Bowls between them when you've watched plenty of their play to know how shaky they look 60% of the time they're out on the field.  It's especially hard to avoid thinking about when one is in your division and you're in the other's media market because his team plays less than an hour's drive from yours.

I agree with every word of this. Knack for the playing well in the big moment is always the key. Eli has it in spades over his brother. It is mind boggling.

The Raven's defense didn't win it for Flacco this year being 16th or 17th ranked. They made some key post season stops , but give Flacco credit. People forget Flacco did his job on 2011 outplaying Brady again , until the Evans drop and Cundiff miss. As for the squirrel dance , trust me , it was only for Raven's fans for Ray's last game. It's not my kind of celebration, but where is Reggie Wayne on other receiver ridiculous end zone celebrations. Aren't they disrespectful ? It was the guys last home game of a 17 year career. I get most outside Baltimore don't like Ray Lewis , but Wayne just doesn't get NFL history.

You missed my point. I was talking about the replacements being at the same level as an in prime Lewis and Reed. Like Old Crow said, the moves would have been made regardless if the Ravens won the bowl or not. But it remains to be seen if this new cast can come anywhere close to the dominance those guys provided for the last decade. For sure this will be more Flacco's team.

I didn't miss your point, it was just irrelevant. Obviously, they won't be at Lewis/Reed's prime, but they won't need to be.

The Raven's defense didn't win it for Flacco this year being 16th or 17th ranked. They made some key post season stops , but give Flacco credit. People forget Flacco did his job on 2011 outplaying Brady again , until the Evans drop and Cundiff miss. As for the squirrel dance , trust me , it was only for Raven's fans for Ray's last game. It's not my kind of celebration, but where is Reggie Wayne on other receiver ridiculous end zone celebrations. Aren't they disrespectful ? It was the guys last home game of a 17 year career. I get most outside Baltimore don't like Ray Lewis , but Wayne just doesn't get NFL history.

He knows an egomaniacal D bag when he sees one.

I don't have a problem with Lewis' celebration, but there is no historical precedent for this that I'm aware of. A curtain call is one thing, coming out to dance at the end of a game is beyond that.

What is the difference between dancing, rolling on confetti , kissing a championship trophy, or whatever. He was giving back to the Baltimore fans that had supported him. It was like Cal Ripken doing a victory lap during 2131. It wasn't supposed to be disrespectful to the other team , just an acknowledgement to the fans.

What is the difference between dancing, rolling on confetti , kissing a championship trophy, or whatever. He was giving back to the Baltimore fans that had supported him. It was like Cal Ripken doing a victory lap during 2131. It wasn't supposed to be disrespectful to the other team , just an acknowledgement to the fans.

I didn't think it was disrespectful, but it's much different from anything that happens after a championship game. A first round playoff win isn't usually celebrated in that manner.

I think the Ravens defense will be much better than last year. Suggs, Ngata, Webb at 100 %, Canty, Spears , Dumervil , Huff , Elam , and Brown , among others added. Will totally improve a 16th ranked defense. Flacco with a great running game with Rice and Pierce, good tight ends, Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, great o line. the only question is boldin's replacement.

Agreed , but it was the last home game of a historic NFL career that lasted 17 years in one city. It wasn't the normal first round playoff win.

All I'm saying is that knocking Reggie Wayne for not knowing NFL history seems out of place.

For an athlete that was supposedly all about his teammates, Ray sure made things about himself an awful lot. His dance at the end kept in perfect step with his insatiable ego. To line up in an offensive formation and do his dance only exemplified his "look at me" career. I loved the guy on the field, but off the field? Not so much. 

I think I told you that Johnny U is my hero, not Ray. I was at that game , and it would have bothered me had this not been his last home game. I think he appreciated the fans , more than this being about his ego. From a team perspective, announcing his retirement during the playoffs definately gave the Ravens a psychological lift. This is showmanship similar to end zone celebrations. Honestly, I am old school and it's not my cup of tea, but I appreciated the moment.

I didn't think it was disrespectful, but it's much different from anything that happens after a championship game. A first round playoff win isn't usually celebrated in that manner.

Crow says... amoung other replies....

I think I told you that Johnny U is my hero, not Ray. I was at that game , and it would have bothered me had this not been his last home game. I think he appreciated the fans , more than this being about his ego. From a team perspective, announcing his retirement during the playoffs definately gave the Ravens a psychological lift. This is showmanship similar to end zone celebrations. Honestly, I am old school and it's not my cup of tea, but I appreciated the moment. 

The point you guys both miss and I guess Reggie and I get , is that ridiculous dance occurred DURING the last play of the game. Do what ever you want after the play , after the game . Stand on your head and pull on squirrel's legs off if you like. This * started that nonsense before the game actually ended. Why else would Wayne be put off by that ? I mean when the game ended , make a circle around Lewis and let him dance till Tuesday . Crow and the rest of Raven fans can coo and moo and just watch a 260 LB man dance like a # until he drops as dead as the guy he plugged years before.

The point you guys both miss and I guess Reggie and I get , is that ridiculous dance occurred DURING the last play of the game. Do what ever you want after the play , after the game . Stand on your head and pull on squirrel's legs off if you like. This * started that * before the game actually ended. Why else would Wayne be put off by that ? I mean when the game ended , make a circle around Lewis and let him dance till Tuesday . Crow and the rest of Raven fans can coo and moo and just watch a 260 LB man dance like a # until he drops as dead as the guy he plugged years before.

That's a good point, and something that I keep forgetting. Totally a different story to do your celebration before the game is even over. And again, no historical precedent for it.

That's a good point, and something that I keep forgetting. Totally a different story to do your celebration before the game is even over. And again, no historical precedent for it.

Officials should have flagged him for sure. 

The game was all but over at 24 to 9. I get where you are coming from , but its like a guy high stepping down the sidelines during the game on a touchdown run. It's not like Ray did his dance on colt logo at Lucas Oil Stadium. This was for Baltimore fans , not a disrespectful act like some of TO's antics , for example. The Colts had a good season , the Ravens finally put Colts on the scoreboard instead of Indy, and Ray is happily retired. Maybe we can start the Suggs Shuffle!

Found this and thought Quiz Boy would enjoy it. I remember saying this was the last safety I would sign. But anyway ... good luck with this one Houston...

According to the Houston Chronicle, "nobody has any clue" when new Texans FS Ed Reed (hip surgery) will be healthy and ready to play.

Despite optimism from Houston's front office, pretty much all signs point toward Reed being damaged goods. It appears the Texans were #Ozzied. Reed himself has been wholly noncommittal on his return timetable. Turning 35 in September, there's a legitimate chance Reed is the Texans' next version of Ahman Green.

Ozzy-ied? I don't see any headless bats around here do you? Only teasing dw49, but I am always in the mood for a 2 minute drill to "Crazy Train" though....

Ozzy-ied? I don't see any headless bats around here do you? Only teasing dw49, but I am always in the mood for a 2 minute drill to "Crazy Train" though....

SW1.....I'm so old and square that it's like your speaking Chinese to me. I have no clue what you sent me , pretty sure you're busting my stones but that's cool. I can take it.

The game was all but over at 24 to 9. I get where you are coming from , but its like a guy high stepping down the sidelines during the game on a touchdown run. It's not like Ray did his dance on colt logo at Lucas Oil Stadium. This was for Baltimore fans , not a disrespectful act like some of TO's antics , for example. The Colts had a good season , the Ravens finally put Colts on the scoreboard instead of Indy, and Ray is happily retired. Maybe we can start the Suggs Shuffle!

No question the game was over and there have been worse things done. I just agree with RW and I don't like ray Lewis.

I think Ed will be retiring fairly soon , and will be welcomed back as a secondary coach for the Ravens.

Agree. Safety is a pretty physical position for a banged up 35 year old. IMO , this was not a good signing . I'll be glad to revisit and eat crow at season's end. So far my position was "please no" when he was available . Now it is bordering "I told you so" as no one has any idea when and if he'll be healthy enough to contribute.

Just to expound a bit more on this. One of the top teams as far as playing the fee agent game is no doubt NE. They have let both good safeties and CB's go in their prime and past their prime. As far as signing free agents , they did take some "retreads" from other teams that some thought were done. Reed would not fall into this category as the Pats never signed guys with this much tread on their tires. In fact some of the talking heads were saying Reed was a perfect fit with NE and Indy. I nevefr saw a thing linking him to either team. Too old ... too beat up. Bad signing.  

SW1.....I'm so old and square that it's like your speaking Chinese to me. I have no clue what you sent me , pretty sure you're busting my stones but that's cool. I can take it.

I was merely poking fun at the idea that Ozzie [Newsome] GM of the Ravens & Ozzy Osbourne, a heavy metal singer, have very similar spellings of their 1st names ie vs y & that "Crazy Train" a popular song of his is often played in the final 2 minutes of NFL games. Plus, in Ozzy Osborne's more controversial days as a young artist starting out as a performer, he would bite the heads off of bats & birds as part of his stage act during live concerts etc. etc. 

I wasn't really trying to make you feel foolish sir honest. Your line: "It appears the Texans were #Ozzied" has a dual meaning even if you were not initially aware of it at the time. I was only highlighting the similarities in 1st names & the lasting influence both men have had on the Natl. Football League one as a GM & one as a musician that's all. I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused you regarding this matter dw49. 

Here is the original Ozzy Osbourne song performed LIVE & only a fraction of it is ever heard during the final 2 minutes of professional football games: 

http://youtu.be/G0Akv_A4kk4

ALL ABOOOOOAAAARRD HAHAHAHAHAHA...
AY AY AY AY AY...
Crazy, but thats how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Lifes a bitter shame
Im going off the rails on a crazy train

Ive listened to preachers
Ive listened to fools
Ive watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you have the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeh-h yeeeeaaaahhhh

GUITAR SOLO....

Heirs of a cold war
Thats what weve become
Inheriting troubles Im mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
Im living with something that just isnt fair

Who and whats to blame

Agree. Safety is a pretty physical position for a banged up 35 year old. IMO , this was not a good signing . I'll be glad to revisit and eat crow at season's end. So far my position was "please no" when he was available . Now it is bordering "I told you so" as no one has any idea when and if he'll be healthy enough to contribute.

Just to expound a bit more on this. One of the top teams as far as playing the fee agent game is no doubt NE. They have let both good safeties and CB's go in their prime and past their prime. As far as signing free agents , they did take some "retreads" from other teams that some thought were done. Reed would not fall into this category as the Pats never signed guys with this much tread on their tires. In fact some of the talking heads were saying Reed was a perfect fit with NE and Indy. I nevefr saw a thing linking him to either team. Too old ... too beat up. Bad signing.  

I respectfully disagree with that assessment 100% Reed was signed primary for the defensive players in the secondary he can mentor & provide superior film study & mental toughness & awareness too. Sure, the Texans expect some on the field production, but it's not as if HC Kubiak or the owner believe that Ed can deliver a 2nd Lombardi Championship all by himself. It's also about alignment, assignment, gap control, & getting guys in the right position during games too. A bad signing...Far from it IMO...

I respectfully disagree with that assessment 100% Reed was signed primary for the defensive players in the secondary he can mentor & provide superior film study & mental toughness & awareness too. Sure, the Texans expect some on the field production, but it's not as if HC Kubiak or the owner believe that Ed can deliver a 2nd Lombardi Championship all by himself. It's also about alignment, assignment, gap control, & getting guys in the right position during games too. A bad signing...Far from it IMO...

Usually secondary coaches don't cost 5 mill per year and don't count vs the cap. But I do get your point .. just don't buy it or agree. We'll revisit at a later date.

I was merely poking fun at the idea that Ozzie [Newsome] GM of the Ravens & Ozzy Osbourne, a heavy metal singer, have very similar spellings of their 1st names ie vs y & that "Crazy Train" a popular song of his is often played in the final 2 minutes of NFL games. Plus, in Ozzy Osborne's more controversial days as a young artist starting out as a performer, he would bite the heads off of bats & birds as part of his stage act during live concerts etc. etc. 

I wasn't really trying to make you feel foolish sir honest. Your line: "It appears the Texans were #Ozzied" has a dual meaning even if you were not initially aware of it at the time. I was only highlighting the similarities in 1st names & the lasting influence both men have had on the Natl. Football League one as a GM & one as a musician that's all. I apologize for any confusion that I may have caused you regarding this matter dw49. 

Here is the original Ozzy Osbourne song performed LIVE & only a fraction of it is ever heard during the final 2 minutes of professional football games: 

http://youtu.be/G0Akv_A4kk4

ALL ABOOOOOAAAARRD HAHAHAHAHAHA...
AY AY AY AY AY...
Crazy, but thats how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe its not to late
To learn how to love
And forget how to hate

Lifes a bitter shame

Ive listened to preachers
Ive listened to fools
Ive watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you have the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

I know that things are going wrong for me
You gotta listen to my words
Yeh-h yeeeeaaaahhhh

GUITAR SOLO....

Heirs of a cold war
Thats what weve become
Inheriting troubles Im mentally numb
Crazy, I just cannot bear
Im living with something that just isnt fair

Who and whats to blame

I took no offense what's so ever. I kind of did you were talking about some kind of crazy musical group , although I had no idea of who they were. Just poking a little fun at myself... no problems.

Flacco's career does not mimic Brady at all. Previous to last year he kept the team from winning in the playoffs so much so that Reed called him out after they beat the Texans two years ago because he played so poorly.

Brady was never carried by his defense. I always like to remind people that in 2001 the Pats O was ranked sixth in scoring and the defense was ranked sixth in points allowed. He was never game manager either. Only once in Brady's five trips to the SB has the Pats O been ranked lower than his D.

In terms of the Ravens, I guess we will see how these new defensive players do. If they perform anything like the Pats replacements then the Ravens will not see the playoffs again.

In the last 3 years Flacco had only 1 mediocre game with all of his playoff performances with a qb rating of above 95. A perfect playoffs last year...probably historically the greatest playoff run of any qb in the history of the game. He did outplay Brady last two years. Brady did have a great playoffs in 2004 but holding Peyton and Colts to 3 pts when he only threw for 144 and 1 td..thats great d. His first SB run was ALL defense. He put together a fg drive in the last two minutes..a great feat I do give him credit...but 145 passing yards and 1 td. He managed the game. Hardly impressive especially against the greatest show on turf. He had only 1 td pass that whole playoff run. In 03 he had a great SB. Definately a great game on his part...but the two games leading up to that....holding Peyton and Tennessee both to 14 pts that was some defense too.  I'm not going to sit here and say Tom Brady isn't a great qb...top 5 no doubt. Just saying Flacco has gotten off to a great start to his YOUNG career and the put together 2 great playoff years in a row. His regular season stats aren't bad at all either...simply look at Tom Brady's reg season stats for his first 4-5 years. Look at Flaccos.....almost identical td/int, yds, and passer rating. It wasn't until Brady got Moss and Co. that his stats exploded. I imagine the Raven's think Flacco can make that kind of leap too. Turning great post season success the last couple years to break out and be that leader. They have always had a conservative approach...ground and pound and defense win...no longer. I don't think Flacco will be anything like Brady actually. I agree that I don't see him as that guy that can carry a team. I give Boldin almost as much credit to their run last post season as Flacco...he made him look good pulling down big catch after big catch and Smith flying by the defense. It won't be that easy for Joe. Brady got much much better but early on...come on...that defense was a HUGE part of their success with him not making mistakes...later he started carrying them.

No question the game was over and there have been worse things done. I just agree with RW and I don't like ray Lewis.

I get the Ray Lewis hate. We feel the same way about the Irsay family in Baltimore. Cleveland feels the same way about the Modells. It's honesty, and just the way things are, as a passionate fan. 

Flacco has outplayed Brady the last two AFCCG's. In addition, the Ravens beat the Pats in another playoff game, in addition to beating them in the 2012 regular season 31-30. Our 16th rank defense did not carry the Ravens this year, so that argument is out the window. Flacco carried the team to the Super Bow title , without question. The stats don't lie. Flacco also didn't benefit from signals being purloined from other teams, like Brady's team benefited in the early days. 

Right now, I'm feeling a heck of a lot better than the average Pats fans with the Raven's offensive moves, and the lack of distractions like the Patriots have. I hear many criticisms of Flacco, but as a Raven's fan I know that he has led us to a Super Bowl title, 3 AFC Championship game appearances with one win, 2 Division titles, all in five years. I'll take that from my team and quarterback any day. 

I get the Ray Lewis hate. We feel the same way about the Irsay family in Baltimore. Cleveland feels the same way about the Modells. It's honesty, and just the way things are, as a passionate fan.

I don't think the Ray Lewis hate is for the same reason as the latter two lol.

In the last 3 years Flacco had only 1 mediocre game with all of his playoff performances with a qb rating of above 95. A perfect playoffs last year...probably historically the greatest playoff run of any qb in the history of the game. He did outplay Brady last two years. Brady did have a great playoffs in 2004 but holding Peyton and Colts to 3 pts when he only threw for 144 and 1 td..thats great d. His first SB run was ALL defense. He put together a fg drive in the last two minutes..a great feat I do give him credit...but 145 passing yards and 1 td. He managed the game. Hardly impressive especially against the greatest show on turf. He had only 1 td pass that whole playoff run. In 03 he had a great SB. Definately a great game on his part...but the two games leading up to that....holding Peyton and Tennessee both to 14 pts that was some defense too.  I'm not going to sit here and say Tom Brady isn't a great qb...top 5 no doubt. Just saying Flacco has gotten off to a great start to his YOUNG career and the put together 2 great playoff years in a row. His regular season stats aren't bad at all either...simply look at Tom Brady's reg season stats for his first 4-5 years. Look at Flaccos.....almost identical td/int, yds, and passer rating. It wasn't until Brady got Moss and Co. that his stats exploded. I imagine the Raven's think Flacco can make that kind of leap too. Turning great post season success the last couple years to break out and be that leader. They have always had a conservative approach...ground and pound and defense win...no longer. I don't think Flacco will be anything like Brady actually. I agree that I don't see him as that guy that can carry a team. I give Boldin almost as much credit to their run last post season as Flacco...he made him look good pulling down big catch after big catch and Smith flying by the defense. It won't be that easy for Joe. Brady got much much better but early on...come on...that defense was a HUGE part of their success with him not making mistakes...later he started carrying them.

Excellent and fair analysis !

No.. not the same. I have absolutely no hate for Ray Lewis' kids. I don't think Jim Irsay or any other family menber had much to do with the Colts moving to Indy 30 years ago. I also think " hate" is a pretty strong word. I don't " hate Ray Lewis." Let's just say he might be my least favorite NFL player.