Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few words on a couple of our draft picks (and all AFC south)

I think he will make a definite impact. Whether that is positive or negative is yet to be seen. Things I have heard of Werner and his work ethic plus intelligence of the game leads me to be optimistic about what we will see out of him this year. Definitely don't expect Aldon Smith numbers at OLB.. But can see 6 or so sacks

I think Werner can have Alfonso smith numbers we have Toler, Davis, Bethea, and Landry. So why can't Werner or Mathis have Alison smith sack numbers

Cause a Good Front 7 (Pass Rush) makes a BETTER secondary, not the other way around.

Just cause Landry and Co. are back there doesn't mean our dline will play better. The secondary can only cover for so long, so the pass rush should compliment the secondary

I think Werner will have a great year as a rookie, and he will do just what we brought him in to do "set the edge", and "stop the run" and I expect good sack numbers this year, but thats just what I think. As for his motor I've seen different opinions from scouts, some saying he takes plays off some saying he is relentless. I have'nt seen him in a whole game but I have watched tons of highlights and from what I see Werner is a monster on the line..

One thing I notice a lot that's ironic is people say Werner has a relentless motor, but he tends to get tired/take plays off.  How are the two compatible?

Thats what you call talking out of both sides of your mouth!

I think Werner is gonna fit in well with our LB core.  I think next season we will really see his true potential.  Lucky for him, he has 98 to help show him the ropes.

I think Werner can have Alfonso smith numbers we have Toler, Davis, Bethea, and Landry. So why can't Werner or Mathis have Alison smith sack numbers

I think it just takes time for the whole unit to jel together. We have had so many different lineups these guys really don't know each other. The change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 also played a big part in players having to learn new coverages. I think as the season goes along the defense will play better each week. Keep in mind that Pagano is a defensive minded coach and the team was lacking his leadership on the sidelines last season. 

You make it sound easy and simple.      If it were as straight forward as you make it appear,  every team would have an Aldon Smith type of player.

Here are his stats from his first two years...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/13988/aldon-smith

14 sacks playing spot duty as a rookie...   

19.5 sacks playing more snaps his 2nd year.

Only a small number of teams have anyone with those kind of numbers.   You can count those type of players on the fingers of one hand, with a few fingers still left over....    it's incredibly rare.

If Werner has 8 sacks this year,  I'll be very, very happy.    More than that,  and I'll be thrilled.    Seriously!

But wouldn't a guy with a "relentless motor"  pursue the play even if it isn't to his side of the field?

That's not what I think of when a defensive lineman is said to have "motor." I think of a player who, when he's engaged in the play, fights and fights and fights until the play is over. He might get stopped initially, but his drive and tenacity can still get him in the play. I don't think of someone who tries to chase down a play from 30 yards away on the other side of the field. I'd call that "tireless." 

Just the way my mind works.

We all will have to see how Bjoern Werner and Kerwynn Williams turn out, since only 2 colts from the draft were mentioned compared to 4 Texans and it sounds like they are trying to make a strong case for Texans and his ending comment was "many consider a legitimate Super Bowl contender" as he mentioned in his DeAndre Hopkins break down, Texans were hyped by many and those that did can't be wrong so the hype continues "BUT" Texans still have Shaub as QB and that's their Achilles heal. None of the other Colts draft picks were mentioned so they must be pre-considered busts or the least average or below. Will be an interesting season and even more so than last, there is more expectations from more fans this time :}

Go Colts!!!!!

We all will have to see how Bjoern Werner and Kerwynn Williams turn out, since only 2 colts from the draft were mentioned compared to 4 Texans and it sounds like they are trying to make a strong case for Texans and his ending comment was "many consider a legitimate Super Bowl contender" as he mentioned in his DeAndre Hopkins break down, Texans were hyped by many and those that did can't be wrong so the hype continues "BUT" Texans still have Shaub as QB and that's their Achilles heal. None of the other Colts draft picks were mentioned so they must be pre-considered busts or the least average or below. Will be an interesting season and even more so than last, there is more expectations from more fans this time :}

Go Colts!!!!!

Flying under the radar is what the colts do best. And it's just the way us fans like it!

Flying under the radar is what the colts do best. And it's just the way us fans like it!

Exactly. That's why I really like that RG3, and to a lesser extent Wilson, had great rookie years. Luck is not the focus of every sports show, or being constantly disected. Not that he couldn't handle the distractions.

Go Colts!!!!!

I'm not too concerned about this. The Colts spent several picks on their trenches, and trenches don't offen get much press unless they fail miserably or get into trouble.

I think it just takes time for the whole unit to jel together. We have had so many different lineups these guys really don't know each other. The change from a 4-3 to a 3-4 also played a big part in players having to learn new coverages. I think as the season goes along the defense will play better each week. Keep in mind that Pagano is a defensive minded coach and the team was lacking his leadership on the sidelines last season.

Lacked his Leadership yet the Defense still Won/Kept us alive in numerous games last season.

Amazing isn't it?

That's not what I think of when a defensive lineman is said to have "motor." I think of a player who, when he's engaged in the play, fights and fights and fights until the play is over. He might get stopped initially, but his drive and tenacity can still get him in the play. I don't think of someone who tries to chase down a play from 30 yards away on the other side of the field. I'd call that "tireless."

Just the way my mind works.

Drake Nevis has a Relentless Motor, but also injury problems. Which the injuries would go away so he can stay on the field and show off that motor

The texans always had good press coverage even when peyton was here all the espn and nfl network seemed to pick them to have break out year etc.... I don't think Shaub is a good QB at all and our defense got better this year. We split games with them last year with alot of missing pieces in a hybrid 3-4 defense this year I think we win both I hope but I'm also talking from a due hard colts fan point of view

That's fatigue setting in. He won't have to worry about that here in Indy. That LB rotation (barring injury) is gonna be pretty good and I'm sure Manuksy & our LB coach is gonna keep the guys fresh with constant rotation

I'm thinking and hoping you're right.  I also think it was probably more fatigue than anything.  FSU's rotation was disrupted due to the injuries to Brandon Jenkins and Tank Carradine, so they weren't able to keep rotating fresh bodies in and out to keep them all fresh.  

I'm thinking and hoping you're right. I also think it was probably more fatigue than anything. FSU's rotation was disrupted due to the injuries to Brandon Jenkins and Tank Carradine, so they weren't able to keep rotating fresh bodies in and out to keep them all fresh.

Exactly. Everyone on the defense gets affected when one of their fellow defenders go down. Rotation is messed up like you said. It's hard for anyone to play longer than their body is "use" to so to speak. But then again, Colts are known for the injury bug as well. Here's hoping the new era rids up of the curse