Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting new fits for Colt's defense.....

NewColtsFan

This is a story I just stumbled into on CBS Sports, from Rob Rang....

The focus is on John Boyett, and how, if not for the two knee injuries, he might've been a 3rd round draft pick...

But there are also write-ups on Werner and Hughes....

All in all,  I think you'll be pleased....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/blog/rob-rang/22357381/finding-the-fits-boyett-could-surprise-as-solution-to-colts-secondary

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice article.  It won't surprise me if Boyett follows the same path that Chapman did last season.  Start on the PuP, then go to IR.  We only expect him to be a ST contributor this year.  Lefeged is a decent backup.

But maybe he's our Bethea replacement the following season?  

Would you prefer average? He's not the type of safety that demands 6-7 million. He's not a game changer.

How is mediocre/average when he's been the BEST player in thr Colts secondary for the past 4-5 seasons. Basically after Bob's DPOY season, Bethea became the best

people bethea isnt going anywhere. hes only 28. no team is gonna give bethea top safety money. i doubt bethea would want more then 6-7 mil.

7 mil a year is a lot for a guy who's been under performing the past 2 years. Bethea play on the field should have been 3 mil a year, he just hasn't been the same safety since Bob left.

That's not saying much.

And you just beat me to my next point. If Bethea being the best isn't saying much, what does that say about his supporting cast?

He's only as good as his supporting cast and he still is a solid safety year in & year out

7 mil a year is a lot for a guy who's been under performing the past 2 years. Bethea play on the field should have been 3 mil a year, he just hasn't been the same safety since Bob left.

CAUSE EVERYONE IN THE SECONDARY SUCKED AFTER BOB LEFT!

Bethea is the only one who still plays well. If you've never played Safety for a team with bum corners and a bum SS, you cannot say Bethea is the problem

And you just beat me to my next point. If Bethea being the best isn't saying much, what does that say about his supporting cast?

He's only as good as his supporting cast and he still is a solid safety year in & year out

Exactly. He's solid. Solid safties don't get paid 6-7 million. Bethea in his prime might have been worth that, but making a solid, 30 year old saftey one of the highest paid players at his position isn't a smart business decision imo.

Exactly. He's solid. Solid safties don't get paid 6-7 million. Bethea in his prime might have been worth that, but making a solid, 30 year old saftey one of the highest paid players at his position isn't a smart business decision imo.

$6-7 million isn't that bad. He's worth it if his supporting cast will learn how to play. I guarantee you he shines this year now that Landry plays the box and he plays the field like a FS is actually supposed to do. Bethea has been our SS & FS for the past few years, he should get paid high for playing two positions cause Zib was some dookie!

CAUSE EVERYONE IN THE SECONDARY SUCKED AFTER BOB LEFT!

Bethea is the only one who still plays well. If you've never played Safety for a team with bum corners and a bum SS, you cannot say Bethea is the problem

Missing open field tackles and taking bad angles on int's that he could have had has nothing to do with the supporting cast. Bethea is a good safety but i think the Cover 2 defense and playing next to Bob made him look better then what he really is.

$6-7 million isn't that bad. He's worth it if his supporting cast will learn how to play. I guarantee you he shines this year now that Landry plays the box and he plays the field like a FS is actually supposed to do. Bethea has been our SS & FS for the past few years, he should get paid high for playing two positions cause Zib was some dookie!

I mean 6-7 million isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, but that 'd still put him top 5 at his position, something he's not.

I don't think this year is his last though. I think if he plays well then he'll get the franchise tag.

Missing open field tackles and taking bad angles on int's that he could have had has nothing to do with the supporting cast. Bethea is a good safety but i think the Cover 2 defense and playing next to Bob made him look better then what he really is.

:sigh:

So 100 tackles and 2 sacks means nothing?

Now, take a moment from your computer and visualize this. Imagine those stats......... with a better CB on his side of the field and plus a better SS next to him.

Just take a moment to think about that

:sigh:

So 100 tackles and 2 sacks means nothing?

Now, take a moment from your computer and visualize this. Imagine those stats......... with a better CB on his side of the field and plus a better SS next to him.

Just take a moment to think about that

100 tackles is good but no int's or many pass deflections is really bad for a guy making 7 mil a year. He should be better with Landry playing next to him but he has to get more int's.

100 tackles is good but no int's or many pass deflections is really bad for a guy making 7 mil a year. He should be better with Landry playing next to him but he has to get more int's.

hes playing in the box most of the time since hes our best tackling safety now that landry is here he can go back to playing center field

Explain to me how a safety can get a pick when Vaughn always every catch?

Zib at least had Vontae on his side of the field. That's how Zib got his pick, even though the bum fumbled it right after :facepalm:

Man I'm glad he's gone

hes playing in the box most of the time since hes our best tackling safety now that landry is here he can go back to playing center field

Well 6-7 million is still a lot for a safety. He would have to pull in like 6-7 INTs next year to get that much.

Well, in other :colts: news

@mchappell51: #colts starting O-line appears to be: LT Castonzo, LG Thomas, C Satele, RG McGlynn, RT Cherilus

@mchappell51: #colts wrap up another OTA day. some great connections between QB Andrew Luck and WR LaVon Brazill

@mchappell51: #colts CB Greg Toler still making plays in secondary. Missed a practice last week with sore foot

Interesting...........

Well, in other :colts: news

@mchappell51: #colts starting O-line appears to be: LT Castonzo, LG Thomas, C Satele, RG McGlynn, RT Cherilus

@mchappell51: #colts wrap up another OTA day. some great connections between QB Andrew Luck and WR LaVon Brazill

@mchappell51: #colts CB Greg Toler still making plays in secondary. Missed a practice last week with sore foot

Interesting...........

I'm really not liking that McGlynn starting over there. 

Explain to me how a safety can get a pick when Vaughn always every catch?

Zib at least had Vontae on his side of the field. That's how Zib got his pick, even though the bum fumbled it right after :facepalm:

Man I'm glad he's gone

Bethea didn't have any int's either in 2011 Vaughn wasn't on the team. Bethea was a great tackler but pass few years he's missed a lot of tackles. He's never been a ball hawk most int's he's had in a season was 4. The FS position is to play the deep part of the field and read QB's eyes and make plays on the ball i.e Ed reed, Earl Thomas. Bethea just hasn't been very good at that over the past 3 seasons. I hope he starts to make more plays on the ball but history shows he's not that type of safety.

You might consider the possibility that he went for the tackles instead of picks because he was the first and last line of defense in the backfield the last couple years. Vontae helped, but not like I think Toler and Landry will this year. I'm looking for a substantial rebound in Bethea's stats in '13, and for him to prove to be difficult to retain next year...

Which brings us back to the thought that Boyett could be an interesting guy to keep an eye on.

Truth be told Bethea has been pretty darn good, Great? No but he was drafted in the 6th round and most of his career he has played without much around him in the secondary, he is underrated by some, He is not on the level of Ed Reed and will never be but he is by far not our problem, He was the only player in the secondary that showed showed up last year except the last 4 games, Zbi quit(you cant convince me a guy who starts as a FS for 11 games should have a total of 38 tackles and say he went all out every play)  and Cassius.....well he played like his undrafted player...He was an undrafted player

People are really underrating Bethea. SMH

100 tackles for a safety speaks more about the defense than himself.

Just because he doesn't have the INT's/DEF's mean 2 things:  Teams chose to run against us than pass (true), people rarely threw his way, look at Nnamdi, no one knew his name until he became a FA.

Well 6-7 million is still a lot for a safety. He would have to pull in like 6-7 INTs next year to get that much.

kinda hard to get picks when your coming down not to mention the qb has all day to throw

The way I see it, Bethea has exceeded his draft pick (6th round) so I don't see where all this "he isn't good" talk is coming from

100 tackles just shows how bad out front was. The safety should have the least tackles since he's the last line of defense. But Bethea is one of my favorite players so I wish him luck this season and hope he gets a new contract this season

The way I see it, Bethea has exceeded his draft pick (6th round) so I don't see where all this "he isn't good" talk is coming from

100 tackles just shows how bad out front was. The safety should have the least tackles since he's the last line of defense. But Bethea is one of my favorite players so I wish him luck this season and hope he gets a new contract this season

I like Bethea just fine, but IMO, draft status becomes irrelevant once a player makes the squad that first time. After that he's simply either on the team or not... Starting or not... Producing or not.

Discussing draft status is for us fans, or if it reflects on anyone anymore, its the GM who either found the values or loaded up on busts.