Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike and Mike argue over Mark Sanchez

Anybody listen to Mike and Mike in the morning and happen to hear the Sanchez discussion?

First off, Golic always annoys me when he gets on one about being right but it was unreal on this occasion.

He argues that Mark Sanchez should start for the Jets this season then sign for another team next season.

Greeney argued that Sanchez needs to get out and back up someone else this year.

I think I agree with Greeney. Another season on the Jets could ruin Sanchez to such an extent that nobody even wants to pick him up next season!

What do you guys make of the situation now that Garrard has left?

I think that Mark Sanchez gets a lot of heat for being a bad QB, but even more so because he's in NY with a loudmouth coach who only cares about his defense. In my opinion, Sanchez is not a good QB, but he's no where near as bad as some people make him out to be. No QB would play well without any offensive weapons. Since Sanchez has been there, they've shipped out all of his offensive weapons and have surrounded him with poor offensive talent.

I think I agree with Golic. He should play out his contract with the Jets and find another team next year. If David Carr can still find opportunities in this league, then so can Sanchez.

I'm surprised Golic didn't agree with Greeney on this one. Maybe Golic was just seeing the Jets point in keeping Sanchez because of his guaranteed pay for this year but didn't necessarily agree that's what should be done. Golic often brings up arguments that there's different options for a front office but Greeney doesn't want to see all the options, just the ones he wants to see. I didn't listen this morning though.

Sanchez's head is just all messed up...He never had a chance, they have zero weapons on offense to throw to or run, and now Keller is gone...If they throw Geno Smith into that mess he will be the next Akili Smith...I think Jax should trade for Sanchez as he is a better option than Gabbert or Henne..He is a decent game manager provided a running game and weapons..He went to 2 AFC Championships so he doesn't suck, he just lost confidence in my opinion...

Sit Geno this year. No need to ruin him as well. Let Sanchez play.

Use your next draft picks on nothing but offensive playmakers (unless you have a shot at Clowney)

Lee or Watkins in the 1st. Maybe trade back up to get De'Anthony Thomas.

As for Sanchez, he might be able to get a back-up job somewhere the following season.

Not a fan of Snachez but honestly last year was a disaster. He showed in his first couple of years that he could play some decent ball and then everything caved in last year with the coaching and talent issue. If he beats out Smith in camp then he deserves to be the starter. Not sure he will.

Not a fan of Snachez but honestly last year was a disaster. He showed in his first couple of years that he could play some decent ball and then everything caved in last year with the coaching and talent issue. If he beats out Smith in camp then he deserves to be the starter. Not sure he will.

I think he is a better version of Trent Dilfer honestly...It's all a matter of confidence, he played good against us in the playoffs a few years back...

I don't see Sanchez leaving the Jets this season.  They gave him 8 million guaranteed for this season.  That's something he gets if he's traded or released.  

That's too much cap hit to take.  If Smith beats him out then he'll be paid millions to sit on the bench, but especially with Garrard retiring, they arn't gonna move Sanchez.  

I'm surprised Golic didn't agree with Greeney on this one. Maybe Golic was just seeing the Jets point in keeping Sanchez because of his guaranteed pay for this year but didn't necessarily agree that's what should be done. Golic often brings up arguments that there's different options for a front office but Greeney doesn't want to see all the options, just the ones he wants to see. I didn't listen this morning though.

Golic argued fervently that it would be best for Sanchez to play next season rather than back someone up. Even if that means playing on arguably the worst team in the league, which could realistically ruin his chances of signing with someone else next season.

He just couldn't fathom why sitting behind another QB, learning for a year (he's still very young) and taking the pressure and spotlight off himself could help him.

Golic argued fervently that it would be best for Sanchez to play next season rather than back someone up. Even if that means playing on arguably the worst team in the league, which could realistically ruin his chances of signing with someone else next season.

He just couldn't fathom why sitting behind another QB, learning for a year (he's still very young) and taking the pressure and spotlight off himself could help him.

I think it would be best for everyone to go in separate ways. Let Gino learn a few things , then give him some low dollar targets for this season, get him real weapons next. For this season I'm saying they should just get some WRs that have decent hads like a Blair White.

If Mike Greenberg said the sun would come up tomorrow. I'd doubt him. 

He's just give you that Kardashian,  'OJ-lawyer' whine and you swear he's just making up opinions to kill 4 hours...

If you looked up 'bold-faced liar' in the dictionary, Mike's picture would be there...

Probably a nice guy,,,but he's got all the credibility of Lance Armstrong..

I'd start Sanchez and keep him there roughly for the first half of the season....

The Jets bye week is after 9 games,  two weeks after the Colts.    So, at that point, New York should have a good idea of what their team is, or isn't.   They should have a good idea if Sanchez is better in this new offense.

And if it doesn't look promising,  then you have two weeks for Smith to get up to speed to take over the starting roll for the 2nd half of the season.   Smith would get 7 games to get ready for the 2014 season.

At that point,  the Jets can either keep Sanchez as the back-up the rest of the way,  or, more likely cut him, pay him off and let both sides go their separate ways....    At that point, everyone is ready for the divorce.   Everyone tried,  and it just didn't work out.

It's good for everyone involved.

But I would not (A) start Smith from week one.   New York is a terrible town for a rookie QB who will clearly struggle at the start, and (B) would not cut Sanchez at the start with $8.25 Mill on the books.   Let him start the season.   Maybe there's something left to save.   Probably not,  but at least he absorbs the first half of the season until Smith is ready to take over......

I dunno that last year can be put on Mark that much.  Sparano's offense doesn't seem to have worked for much of any QB.

That being said, if Sanchez doesn't knock it out this year, he's a backup next year, but somewhere other than NY.  As for Geno, I don't think he'll make it either.  Thus far, his maturity seems to be lacking.  You can get by with that to a degree from positions like CB or WR, but QB certainly isn't one of them.

Sanchez is a guy that will show moments of brilliance, understand enough of the game and the offense to beat out other QB's, but he is not good enough to be a franchise back. Until they bring in either a solid vet...or draft the future (they may have already), he will continue to tease and disappoint.

He is not responsible for the debacle that the Jets have become, but had they built the right team around him, I still don't see that guy who puts it all together for a 3+ year window of carving their own destiny. I do recognize that NFL QB's are a rare breed, and Mark is still a very good QB....because the pool is so small....but he is not going to acquire the label "great".

From a standpoint of his marketability, his best showcase would be to start a younger player to see if they have the stuff to grow into the position, bring in Sanchez when that QB struggles, and the likely elevated play of a Sanchez with something to prove will bring him the most value........especially in the middle of the season when injuries occur.