Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 05/16

sb41champs

Which INDIANAPOLIS COLTS General Manager do you feel was the best steward of the team during his tenure ??

A.  Jim Irsay (1984 - 1993)

B.  Bill Tobin  (1994 - 1998)

C.  Bill Polian  (1998 - 2011)

D.  Chris Polian  (2011 - 2013)

NOTE:  Ryan Grigson is NOT listed because he is only in the beginning of his second season with the team.

Which INDIANAPOLIS COLTS General Manager do you feel was the best steward of the team during his tenure ??

NOTE:  Ryan Grigson is NOT listed because he is only in the beginning of his second season with the team.

How is this NOT a loaded question? Lol, Bill Polian.

I have a write-in vote for Grigson, even though he only had the job for one year.

Grigs did more in one year than the Polians (including Wild Bill) did in the last 4 years.

In fact, those last 4 years of the Polian regime were awful...actual NEGATIVE years for team improvement...which takes away the credit/points for the good years. I still cannot believe how badly they missed on players...Uncle Bill got senile and Chrissy never ever had a clue.

I have a write-in vote for Grigson, even though he only had the job for one year.

Grigs did more in one year than the Polians (including Wild Bill) did in the last 4 years.

In fact, those last 4 years of the Polian regime were awful...actual NEGATIVE years for team improvement...which takes away the credit/points for the good years. I still cannot believe how badly they missed on players...Uncle Bill got senile and Chrissy never ever had a clue.

We wnt to a SB and 2 playoffs. But I get what you're saying.

Well Grigson had a mandate to rebuild the team from scratch, Polian was trying to tweak a Super Bowl contender. That's why he "did more". If you have any question about Polians ability to rebuild teams when HE is the new guy, look what he did when he first came to the Colts, or to the Panthers, or to the Bills, or to the CFL. Grigson is unproven, and Polian is one of the most successful GMs in the history of the sport.

In short, C. Not even remotely close. Tobin was decent but not around for long. Irsay was one of the worst GM's in the history of the sport. Nobody knows for sure if Chris Polian was even the actual GM (the years are wrong in the question by the way).

A better question would have included Don Kellet, Joe Thomas and perhaps others.

Well Grigson had a mandate to rebuild the team from scratch, Polian was trying to tweak a Super Bowl contender. That's why he "did more". If you have any question about Polians ability to rebuild teams when HE is the new guy, look what he did when he first came to the Colts, or to the Panthers, or to the Bills, or to the CFL. Grigson is unproven, and Polian is one of the most successful GMs in the history of the sport.

In short, C. Not even remotely close. Tobin was decent but not around for long. Irsay was one of the worst GM's in the history of the sport. Nobody knows for sure if Chris Polian was even the actual GM (the years are wrong in the question by the way).

A better question would have included Don Kellet, Joe Thomas and perhaps others.

Yeah...especially Joe Thomas.

Of course it's C, but second would be B, He put a team together and that the Colts were 1 ball tip hitting the turf from going to the Super Bowl, my heart stopped when that ball tip touched the turf, then my heart sunk to the bottom, only time I ever felt that again was the Saints INT to put the nail in the coffin of the Super Bowl loss and I hope I never feel it again!!!!!

Go Colts!!!!!

Till Grigson builds a team that wins a playoff game, the division, or gets to a Super Bowl he is not in this conversation yet.  Sorry that's like saying Andrew Luck is the best QB in the history of the Colts.  It's a slap in the face to Peyton Manning and Johnny U.  Yes he has the chance to prove that he is that guy but he is not there yet. 

Actually, since you didn't list a length of time mandatory for this GM question, a 2 year window of on the job training in INDY isn't that big of a deal to me personally. Stewardship basically refers to the condition of an organization, entity, or agency & Ryan has improved our roster significantly. Years at the helm mean nothing, but sound decision making & on the money judgment calls do regardless of experience. Yes, experience matters naturally, but some GM's have a vision & know exactly what to do. Time doesn't always translate to success. Remember that please. Thank you sb41Champs.

The hard part with naming Bill Polian for me anyway is that I tend to lump all his GM stops together Buffalo, Carolina, & INDY. I can't separate them & that puts everyone else on that list an unfair competitive advantage that no other NFL GM could ever match. Plus, Bill Polian went through the pre & post free agency era which completely changed roster landscapes when Reggie White landed in Green Bay in 1992. 

Yes, Bill Polian wins this battle hands down, but given my difficulty to slice his GM career up city by city should he still win this GM contest? I don't know...I go back & forth on this dilemma in my head a lot actually. A passive/aggressive love/hate relationship with Bill Polian & the dreaded family nepotism that bleeping ticks me off...Sigh...

The hard part with naming Bill Polian for me anyway is that I tend to lump all his GM stops together Buffalo, Carolina, & INDY. I can't separate them & that puts everyone else on that list an unfair competitive advantage that no other NFL GM could ever match. Plus, Bill Polian went through the pre & post free agency era which completely changed roster landscapes when Reggie White landed in Green Bay in 1992.

Yes, Bill Polian wins this battle hands down, but given my difficulty to slice his GM career up city by city should he still win this GM contest? I don't know...I go back & forth on this dilemma in my head a lot actually. A passive/aggressive love/hate relationship with Bill Polian & the dreaded family nepotism that bleeping ticks me off...Sigh...

of the four listed for the Indy colts alone, it's still not close. Jim and Chris were terrible gm's. Bill Tobin is an easy second. But BP is by far the best gm in Indy colts history

Actually, since you didn't list a length of time mandatory for this GM question, a 2 year window of on the job training in INDY isn't that big of a deal to me personally. Stewardship basically refers to the condition of an organization, entity, or agency & Ryan has improved our roster significantly. Years at the helm mean nothing, but sound decision making & on the money judgment calls do regardless of experience. Yes, experience matters naturally, but some GM's have a vision & know exactly what to do. Time doesn't always translate to success. Remember that please. Thank you sb41Champs.

Yeah but at this point you are pretty much grading Grigson on what he COULD do vs. what he has done.  That's why it's not really fair to Grigson yet.  I think we can all agree it's going to be hard to be worse than Jim Irsay as a GM but at this point all Grigson has done is build a team that made the playoffs as a wild card team once.  Even Jim Irsay built a team that won the AFC East once.  Don't get me wrong I am not trying to down play Grigson and I do expect him to do a far better job than Irsay did as a GM I am just saying we don't have that much info yet on Grigson.  Like I said before that's like trying to include Andrew Luck in the conversation with Peyton Manning and Johnny U as who the greatest QB is in Colts history.  Luck could very well put him self in that conversation one day but he just don't have the track record to be in that conversation yet.  That's kinda what you can say about Grigson right now.  He's off to a wonderful start that makes you think he could easily put himself in the conversation of great GMs in the history of the Colts but he just hasn't done it yet.