Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano Conference Call

HtownColt

Chuck Pagano has conference call yesterday with season ticket holders

On if Pagano envisions Luck calling some of his own plays this season:

-"That's the natural progression going into year two for him especially with his familiarity with Pep and the system that's getting implemented right now during the offseason program and then heading into training camp. That familiarity is certainly going to help. He's a bright, bright guy as we all know, and we all know how much time he puts in. Anytime that you are in a hurry up situation and you can change the tempo of the game that way, you get the defense playing on their heels some so I think that's a natural progression. I think he's more than capable of doing that. The combination of year two, the maturity of Andrew and the knowledge of the offense are going to lead towards that."

On Pep Hamilton's offensive scheme and the differences from last year's system:

-"We are going to use multiple personnel groups, multiple formations, things like that. I think you've got to be able to run the football and stop the run in the National Football League in order to win and win championships. We are still going to take our shots down the field, calculated ones. We don't want to waste plays. We want to be efficient as far as the offense goes and probably the biggest difference might be a little bit more quick-game, if you will. Get the ball out of Andrew's hands, three and five steps, get it into our playmakers hands, a little more catch and run type of things. Those might be the biggest differences and things along those lines."

On the running game this season and if he sees one back emerging from the group:

-"Vick Ballard obviously showed that he's a work horse and that he gets better as the game gets longer. By the time he's carried it 20, 21, 22 times he keeps getting stronger and wearing people out. We've got guys like Donald Brown, Delone Carter and those type of guys that will be in the mix. It's always good to have a change of pace back. You've got your hard nosed, between the tackles runner (Carter) and then you got a guy that's a home run hitter, outside stretch runs that you have and gets to the sideline, gets an edge like Donnie Brown. I don't think you can ever have enough backs and I don't think you can have different types of schemes, type of running plays and backs."

The whole thing is on Colts.com

I've posted this in another thread.....    but I think the placing of Carter in parenthesis as the power back between the tackles is a mistake.    I believe Pagano was referring to Ballard,  and whoever transcribed this made a mistake.

Doesn't make nearly as much sense with Carter's name there as it does with Ballard's.

I've posted this in another thread.....    but I think the placing of Carter in parenthesis as the power back between the tackles is a mistake.    I believe Pagano was referring to Ballard,  and whoever transcribed this made a mistake.

Doesn't make nearly as much sense with Carter's name there as it does with Ballard's.

I think it makes sense, He was speaking specifically about Carter and Brown and there abilities after mentioning Ballard earlier above, He's not saying Carter is the starter, he is just saying he is a hard nosed runner who is a between the tackles runner

I've posted this in another thread..... but I think the placing of Carter in parenthesis as the power back between the tackles is a mistake. I believe Pagano was referring to Ballard, and whoever transcribed this made a mistake.

It does make sense because the lead in sentence he said its good to have that change of pace back then he goes on to name the two types of change of pace backs we have in Carter and Brown

He also had a quote where he said he thinks Montori Hughes is going to be a special player.

That's good to hear. The rest all sounds like coach speak, exentuate the positve.

I like Carter but I doubt he makes the team.

It does make sense because the lead in sentence he said its good to have that change of pace back then he goes on to name the two types of change of pace backs we have in Carter and Brown

Except that Carter isn't a change of pace back.   The type of back described is exactly what Ballard is, not Carter.

Carter has been viewed as the guy who comes in at the goal line, or on 3rd and inches.    Not an every down between the tackles RB,   that's Ballard.

I think it makes sense, He was speaking specifically about Carter and Brown and there abilities after mentioning Ballard earlier above, He's not saying Carter is the starter, he is just saying he is a hard nosed runner who is a between the tackles runner

See my response to HTown Colt....

Except that Carter isn't a change of pace back. The type of back described is exactly what Ballard is, not Carter.

Carter has been viewed as the guy who comes in at the goal line, or on 3rd and inches. Not an every down between the tackles RB, that's Ballard.

You're telling me Carter isn't a "Hard nosed between the tackles runner" you're saying that statement pagano gave of him doesnt describe him? and Goaline and 3rd and inches back is still a change of pace back just not the typical kind that Brown is, we have two different kinds of change of pace backs which he states, and he didn't say every down back like you say

He also had a quote where he said he thinks Montori Hughes is going to be a special player.

That quote on Hughes was impressive and something you don't usually hear many coaches say.

I posted 5 highlights from the offensive side of the ball on the front page of Colts.com and the defensive side of things will come tomorrow.

You're telling me Carter isn't a "Hard nosed between the tackles runner" you're saying that statement pagano gave of him doesnt describe him? and Goaline and 3rd and inches back is still a change of pace back just not the typical kind that Brown is, we have two different kinds of change of pace backs which he states, and he didn't say every down back like you say

Carter is "a hard nosed between the tackles runner"

Look at my original comment.    I didn't say having Carter's name there makes no sense,  I said it makes more sense if the name in parenthesis is Ballard's.

It does make sense if Carter's name is there.    Perhaps my objection is with Pagano and not with who wrote this??

I think it's open to interpretation, and I'm never comfortable with that,  whether I'm right or wrong.

For what it's worth....   maybe nothing,  maybe something....

Mike Chappell was also on this conference call with season ticket holders....   here's his excerpt from Pagano regarding the RB's....    I'm cutting and pasting....

• Running backs Vick Ballard and Donald Brown: “We’ve got a bunch of guys on the roster we feel really good about. Vick Ballard showed that he’s a workhorse. He gets better as the game gets longer. It’s always good to have a change-of-pace back. You’ve got your hard-nosed, downhill, between-the-tackles runner (Ballard), then you’ve got a guy (Brown) that is a home run hitter on the outside stretch runs.’’

Now, I put "Ballard" into bold type so it would be seen....   but apparently that's his interpretation of Pagano's comment.  Ballard, not Carter....

Again,  just for what it's worth....

Does Carter make sense there in that spot?    Yes.   But I think Ballard's name makes much more sense.

Just my view....

For what it's worth....   maybe nothing,  maybe something....

Mike Chappell was also on this conference call with season ticket holders....   here's his excerpt from Pagano regarding the RB's....    I'm cutting and pasting....

• Running backs Vick Ballard and Donald Brown: “We’ve got a bunch of guys on the roster we feel really good about. Vick Ballard showed that he’s a workhorse. He gets better as the game gets longer. It’s always good to have a change-of-pace back. You’ve got your hard-nosed, downhill, between-the-tackles runner (Ballard), then you’ve got a guy (Brown) that is a home run hitter on the outside stretch runs.’’

Now, I put "Ballard" into bold type so it would be seen....   but apparently that's his interpretation of Pagano's comment.  Ballard, not Carter....

Again,  just for what it's worth....

Does Carter make sense there in that spot?    Yes.   But I think Ballard's name makes much more sense.

Just my view....

It does make sense if he is talking about the back up players. If Ballard were to get hurt who would take his role if Carter cut. No one left to run between the tackles!!

I think he does he a gamer.

How many RBs do you think we'll keep?  Brown, Ballard, and Havili the FB.  If the rookie makes the team, that's 4.  I doubt we carry more than that.

So either Carter or the rookie make the team and I think Havili would handle the short yardage situations, ideally.

You never know, Williams may not be effective against pro competition and get cut.  Then I think we keep Carter.

How many RBs do you think we'll keep? Brown, Ballard, and Havili the FB. If the rookie makes the team, that's 4. I doubt we carry more than that.

So either Carter or the rookie make the team and I think Havili would handle the short yardage situations, ideally.

You never know, Williams may not be effective against pro competition and get cut. Then I think we keep Carter.

I think Williams makes it because he's a KR also. Carter probably gets cut.

I think Williams makes it because he's a KR also. Carter probably gets cut.

Yeah, I think that's the likely scenario (barring no injuries).  I'm not sold on Williams yet.  We all got excited about Devon Moore a few years ago too.

I've posted this in another thread..... but I think the placing of Carter in parenthesis as the power back between the tackles is a mistake. I believe Pagano was referring to Ballard, and whoever transcribed this made a mistake.

he is clearly talking about Carter and the differences between him and brown. he was saying ballard is the work horse and likely starter. then he mentions what brown and Carter bring to the table as well

How many RBs do you think we'll keep?  Brown, Ballard, and Havili the FB.  If the rookie makes the team, that's 4.  I doubt we carry more than that.

You never know, Williams may not be effective against pro competition and get cut.  Then I think we keep Carter.

I think 4. I don't think Havili is a given to make the team, he and Carter probably battle it out, and if Williams sucks he be odd man out. I have a feeling Williams is going to play well & he is a returner which works is his favor!

I think 4. I don't think Havili is a given to make the team, he and Carter probably battle it out, and if Williams sucks he be odd man out. I have a feeling Williams is going to play well & he is a returner which works is his favor!

Carter really isn't a fullback. If we're to believe what they've been saying about our new O, we'll have someone playing FB. Maybe you think he can compete for that spot. Personally I think that's a stretch.

If that's true, the it's Carter vs Williams for the last spot. I agree if Williams is our answer at KR, he makes the team. That's why I think Carter only makes it if there's an injury in the preseason.

he is clearly talking about Carter and the differences between him and brown. he was saying ballard is the work horse and likely starter. then he mentions what brown and Carter bring to the table as well

The Star article had Ballards name there not Carter. By Mike Chappell Its in the players to report article yesterday, just looked again to make sure. Doesnt mention Carter at all.

Carter really isn't a fullback. If we're to believe what they've been saying about our new O, we'll have someone playing FB. Maybe you think he can compete for that spot. Personally I think that's a stretch.

If that's true, the it's Carter vs Williams for the last spot. I agree if Williams is our answer at KR, he makes the team. That's why I think Carter only makes it if there's an injury in the preseason.

If the fullback can't run block or catch as well as Carter or a TE he will be gone. I like Carter personally I hope he makes it!