Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Media Grades on the Colts 2013

Here's a brilliant, well thought out observation from NFL SENIOR Columnist:

"Questionable move: Taking Bjoern Werner in the first round is a somewhat strange move considering they paid Erik Walden and Paul Kruger. Werner is good, and you can never have enough rushers, but it's still odd."

Hey, the Browns got a good deal if we're paying Kruger!

So, yeah, we should really pay attention to their opinions since they spend so much time doing research.  

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22160389/draft-grades-dont-like-instant-well-here-are-grades-like-em-or-not

"Questionable move:Taking Bjoern Werner in the first round is a somewhat strange move considering they paid Erik Walden and Paul Kruger. Werner is good, and you can never have enough rushers, but it's still odd."

So, yeah, we should really pay attention to their opinions since they spend so much time doing research.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/22160389/draft-grades-dont-like-instant-well-here-are-grades-like-em-or-not

haha

"Questionable move: Taking Bjoern Werner in the first round is a somewhat strange move considering they paid Erik Walden and Paul Kruger. Werner is good, and you can never have enough rushers, but it's still odd."

That would be Pete Prisco...I think we all remember him.

That would be Pete Prisco...I think we all remember him.

You know, I could see bloggers making innocent errors like that.  They're pushing stuff out as fast as it comes out of their mouths.  No one expect real journalism.

But this is from a guy who's a senior writer for a national commercial website.  You'd think he'd have an editor at least glance over his copy.

Simple...if I write about the NFL draft, then you give me something juicy, highly covered, or controversial so I have something to write or speak about, I'll grade you high. Give me a great draft that will only show up down the road, and I'll gut you like a fresh fish.

If not, we would not have had 3 days with 547 mentions of Teo, and 684 mentions of Geno. Both are not top 25 players, but they got 80% of the draft coverage, because they are sizzle. Do what you want as a fan, but my advice is to stop hanging your joy on the hat hooks of writers and analysts who seek sizzle.

Important: This is not going to change in the near future. Grigson has said so.....he does not seek sizzle. He will not likely EVER draft the player you think if you're going off of predictions by people looking for sizzle. He will however, build a great team that you will have the opportunity to say, "thats my team".

Exactly....   and football games are won with a "great" QB and strong offensive and defensive lines. 

Drafting linemen is not sexy but it has to be done.    Through FA and the draft the Colts are SO MUCH stouter on both fronts.

As I heard one of the many media heads say this week you aren't trying to win the draft you are trying to win football games.

Ryan Grigson on Thornton...

" I thought he was the most dominant guard of the Senior Bowl. "

He did decent against Sylvester Williams from the little I remember but wasn't good against smaller DE's which as a RG he won't have to worry about.

Ryan Grigson on Thornton...

" I thought he was the most dominant guard of the Senior Bowl. "

Exactly what I like to hear. There were references of him struggling against pass rushing DE's which won't be a problem here as with him playing guard he won't be going against them. Grigson did a heckuva job in this draft IMO.

Best pick: The Colts traded a 2014 fourth-round pick to get to draft Tennessee-Martin nose tackle Montori Hughes in the fifth round for a reason. The former Vols player has a chance to be their nose inside for a long time.

Questionable move: Taking Bjoern Werner in the first round is a somewhat strange move considering they paid Erik Walden. Werner is good, and you can never have enough rushers, but it's still odd.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round safety John Boyett was a good choice that late in the draft. He should be a good special-teams player early in his career.

Analysis: I have been impressed with most of what second-year general manager Ryan Grigson has done, but this wasn't a "wow" draft for me. Call it solid.

I dont see where he brings up Paul Kruger, Only thing they did not take into account was that beyond this year Waldens contract is not guaranteed

Best pick: The Colts traded a 2014 fourth-round pick to get to draft Tennessee-Martin nose tackle Montori Hughes in the fifth round for a reason. The former Vols player has a chance to be their nose inside for a long time.

Questionable move: Taking Bjoern Werner in the first round is a somewhat strange move considering they paid Erik Walden. Werner is good, and you can never have enough rushers, but it's still odd.

Third-day gem: Sixth-round safety John Boyett was a good choice that late in the draft. He should be a good special-teams player early in his career.

Analysis: I have been impressed with most of what second-year general manager Ryan Grigson has done, but this wasn't a "wow" draft for me. Call it solid.

I dont see where he brings up Paul Kruger, Only thing they did not take into account was that beyond this year Waldens contract is not guaranteed

He probably edited it after someone pointed it out.

Ok...why was this thread chosen to be moved to this section when there are plenty of other threads also discussing the draft in the main section??  I mean the draft  just ended yesterday so it is relevant to discuss it and national opinions on what the Colts did in the main section for a few days at least. 

Ok...why was this thread chosen to be moved to this section when there are plenty of other threads also discussing the draft in the main section??  I mean the draft  just ended yesterday so it is relevant to discuss it and national opinions on what the Colts did in the main section for a few days at least. 

Mods???

Say what you will about Kiper, but he knows what he's offering is an instant snap judgement. And he knows those are often wrong.

Kiper will -- somewhere down the road -- go back and re-grade this draft based on performance. And when he does that, he shows his original grade as well. So, if he's wrong, he will show he's wrong and he will say he's wrong.

The man is accountable for what he says and does. He does not duck and hide from his mistakes.

can you direct me to a site where kiper reevaluates past drafts, and admits to being wrong

This was the type of draft i was expecting  with lucky getting hit 50+ times i new a center and guard were almost locks and the werner pick was a huge pic i think he will be great under pagano 

Thornton will be starting week 1 in my opnion and shipley will start with holmes backing him up

Werner will probably be starting 3 weeks  just see way more potential in werner than walden

can you direct me to a site where kiper reevaluates past drafts, and admits to being wrong

I'm not sure if you have to be an insider....   but you have to access their archives...  and that's something I'm honestly terrible at.

Anyway....  I'd go to the archives and key in something like....   Kiper draft grades and see what comes up....  I'll try and see what I can find in the next few days....   but he's done that for years....   I've never known him not to do it....

I'm not sure if you have to be an insider.... but you have to access their archives... and that's something I'm honestly terrible at.

Anyway.... I'd go to the archives and key in something like.... Kiper draft grades and see what comes up.... I'll try and see what I can find in the next few days.... but he's done that for years.... I've never known him not to do it....

I'm not an insider, but it would be a good read

All of these players will either get better or get released somewhere down the line, and since all of these players seem to live & breath football i dont see it happening.

Werner - Will be molded into a Monster, he seems extremely easy to coach, HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!.

Thornton - STOUT and knows how to drive his feet, HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!

Holmes - Also stout, but what he does best is GET TO THE SECOND LEVEL. He moves the man in front of him, secures space, then he's off into the second level looking to drive someone into the dirt. HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!

Hughes - He is a FREAK, He's STOUT, He's FAST, He's Quick for his size. For those reasons he will demand double teams. And in a 3-4 defense we need that to happen so our linebackers can run free and make plays. HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!

Boyett - Just look at his tape, he will get healthy this year, be a Starter in a few years, and be a problem for opposing offenses, and by learning from Bethea and Landry....HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!!

Williams - Fast and has soft hands, its gonna be so funny watching him eat up yards off screens and cause headaches. With this new and improved O-line....HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!!

Cunningham - If he works hard enough....he will beat Saunders out for a position, this kid has talent. He has the ability to go up and get the ball without an ounce of fear. By being a Colt..........HE WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!!

These guys can do things that we need to be done, things that can win us games. Im not saying they will start right away.....but they will come into camp and make the players above them on the depth chart a bit scared because these guys will work there tails off and DO WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE......Like Coach Pagano said "Iron sharpens iron like man sharpens man".

With that being said.....Our Indianapolis Colts......WILL ONLY GET BETTER!!!!

I'm not an insider, but it would be a good read

Sorry,  but they are 'Insider' articles....   I just looked...    but I'm attempting to link it anyway...

Kiper had the Colts with an A- right after the draft, and he upped it to a full A by the end of the regular season.   The grades for most teams (but not all)  either went up or down depending on the performance of the rookies.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/8855506/mel-kiper-regrading-2012-nfl-draft

Simple...if I write about the NFL draft, then you give me something juicy, highly covered, or controversial so I have something to write or speak about, I'll grade you high. Give me a great draft that will only show up down the road, and I'll gut you like a fresh fish.

If not, we would not have had 3 days with 547 mentions of Teo, and 684 mentions of Geno. Both are not top 25 players, but they got 80% of the draft coverage, because they are sizzle. Do what you want as a fan, but my advice is to stop hanging your joy on the hat hooks of writers and analysts who seek sizzle.

Important: This is not going to change in the near future. Grigson has said so.....he does not seek sizzle. He will not likely EVER draft the player you think if you're going off of predictions by people looking for sizzle. He will however, build a great team that you will have the opportunity to say, "thats my team".

Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth...

Its just like cooking a steak...you can have the filet mignons, or porterhouse steak...but you can make one that is just as good with better with "so-called" lesser cuts of meat, when mixed with the right additions to perparation, and well-balanced ingerdeients...I think the Colts got themselves the right ingredients..now its time to put them into the pan, and start cooking. I have a feeling that when this is all said and done, the filet's will be not as good as the cheaper steak done to perfection. Besides, when something sizzles too early, it most often gets tough, burnt or overdone..

In other words, you can assemble all the talent in the world, but if they don't mesh...a team with "so-called" lesser ability, and more heart and desire will more often than not come out on top..Look at the Lakers..On paper they should dominate...but because they didn't blend together well, they barely made the playoffs, and got swept in their 4 game series..Look at the Yankees, on paper for years they should dominate, but they haven't won the series in quite a few years...

Build the foundation first, and you will always remain strong....The Colts organization is building that great foundation..and will keep adding the necessary spices to make this team one of the best for many years to come.

And personally, I'm going to enjoy that steak all year long...

And instead of eating that steak..these so-called experts will be eating crow again this year, just like they did when we went 11-5 and made the playoffs...and I for one will be laughing and laughing..

Two thoughts.....   I'd say Josh Chapman should be factored into this draft.....

And finally I'd say this......   since we all agree this is a draft without a lot (any?) sizzle, and that it's solid....  I'm fine if some analyst who doesn't follow this as closely as he'd like you to think that he does,   gives the Colts a C+

I think a C+ is perfectly fine.    Honestly,  that would be my grade for our draft.

And I'm totally fine with that.   It's a foundational draft.    We got better on both lines....    and we picked up one play maker late in the draft for each side of the ball.

I'm really fine with this draft....   and the grades that we're getting....

The media still thinks the Vikings got a bargain in Sharriff Floyd and are doling out high marks for it despite him being a lesser version of Drake Nevis. 

Don't believe me? Check out the measurables and workout numbers, which are practically identical, and then notice that Drake's got the better film and better production. Floyd's most overrated player in the draft and a perfect example of groupthink running amok to the point where 3/4 of the draft chatroom was going crazy hoping he'd "fall" to us, despite us already having a better version of Floyd on the roster.

A+ "value" for an undersized DT in round one that has 4.5 career sacks? Yeah, no need to sweat our draft not pleasing those guys.

Considering Thornton could not block 1on1 in passing drills at the off-season bowl games, I am not shocked.

Not sure where you read that.....    I had not seen that written or said by anyone....

Is there a link for that??

I think there's a quote from Grigson calling Thornton the most dominate guard he saw at the Senior Bowl all week....